Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Silly Newbie posted:

Basically this. When I put in a ticket to MS about Azure or 365, I'm doing it after I've exhausted what I can do. I request an email response because I'm probably going to drive home/go shopping/take my kid to the park, and it's not an issue that can be resolved via live session. I don't want to click on poo poo in my environment while you investigate why my licensing didn't apply, I want you to look on the back end at what licensing is applied and tell me where I hosed up, then email me the fix.

The mouth breathing potato that drew your ticket isn’t going to know how to do any of that until you explain it in great detail and ask for an escalation though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait. This is a thing now? Licensing for the bandwidth on a physical device you've already bought?

Man, gently caress late-stage capitalism.

That's kinda been Cisco's thing for awhile. Its why I don't want to bother with Cisco for a refresh on hardware, they might match the price, but I know they'll get us on licensing later.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
In 2005 part of my job was to grant military personnel access to the United States Department of Defense web portal. Soldiers under fire are still more respectful than most civilian customers. I still think about that from time to time.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 3, 2023

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

tango alpha delta posted:

In 2005 part of my job was to grant military personnel access to the United States Department of Defense web portal. Soldiers under fire are still more respectful than most civilian customers. I still think about that from time to time.

Back in the early 2000s I was doing overnight (US Central Time) support for Motorola Canopy gear, which was line of sight point to point wireless over distance. It was in heavy military use in the Gulf theater, so I'd not infrequently get calls from Lance Corporal Crayonbreath trying to get the gear setup to connect this base to that camp or whatever. Those were some of the best calls I ever had - mutual respect both ways, taking notes and following instructions, and if we got to a point where we were beyond their competence it was just "I'm going to check with my superior and we'll call you back" and that was it, no waiting on hold tying me up nonsense. Absolute joys to work with from both a professionalism and competence standpoint.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Back in 2010 when I was in Xbox EMEA support I'd get regular calls from US military people stationed in Germany trying to get their consoles fixed or whatever. They were the best calls to get because they were always super chill and very understanding about the problems caused by hauling a console to a different continent.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Arquinsiel posted:

Back in 2010 when I was in Xbox EMEA support I'd get regular calls from US military people stationed in Germany trying to get their consoles fixed or whatever. They were the best calls to get because they were always super chill and very understanding about the problems caused by hauling a console to a different continent.

Holy poo poo, this brings back some old memories; When I worked for Hewlett Packard, I was a domain admin for AMER and would work closely with domain admins from EMEA and APAC to transfer expats roaming profiles to local profiles when they moved here. For those of you unfamiliar with why this is done, it's because Asia Pacific and Europe have better intranet/internet infrastructure so huge roaming profiles were/are far more common overseas. We just didn't have the bandwidth for everyone to have a roaming profile in the Americas, so we'd move them to local. And yes it was a huge pain in the rear end.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Was meant to be working fully remote by now, has been delayed multiple months and I was all very polite about it. Finally reaches the day where I start working remote and the first day my boss is like, "why aren't you on-site?". HR said this is when my remote work starts. Next day "why aren't you on-site again?".

Sir you were literally in the meetings that discussed this arrangement. Really not my problem that they didn't get an on-site temp sorted in time. My health comes first.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ever get the feeling that literally everyone at work is full of poo poo? Just everyone?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

codo27 posted:

Ever get the feeling that literally everyone at work is full of poo poo? Just everyone?

every day, me included

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

codo27 posted:

Yes and I wish the other 90% of my brain would accept this and stop stressing out about it!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

codo27 posted:

Well seeing as HR just told me how surprised they are that I thought I'd start remote this month after being sent an email being told I'd start remote this month, yeah. They're full of poo poo.

e: this started in July?????? wtf have they been doing

ijyt fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 4, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You have WFH in your contract, yeah?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Weedle posted:

every day, me included

same but especially me

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Agrikk- you know that program you developed for your business vertical? The one with staggeringly high effectiveness ratings, content ratings and instructor ratings? Well, we think it could be the cornerstone of a global effort to raise the bar for all of those in your role. We want a world class training program here.

Oh, but your six hour class is too long. We need you to reduce the class length to three hours for some unspecified reason. The rest of the content that you had to cut we want you to record videos and make that available via our training portal- because we know that adult learners HATE watching mandatory videos.

You have no help and no budget. Good luck! Can’t wait to see your results!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, sounds about right

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Agrikk- you know that program you developed for your business vertical? The one with staggeringly high effectiveness ratings, content ratings and instructor ratings? Well, we think it could be the cornerstone of a global effort to raise the bar for all of those in your role. We want a world class training program here.

Oh, but your six hour class is too long. We need you to reduce the class length to three hours for some unspecified reason. The rest of the content that you had to cut we want you to record videos and make that available via our training portal- because we know that adult learners HATE watching mandatory videos.

You have no help and no budget. Good luck! Can’t wait to see your results!

I'd just say no. And refuse to elaborate further.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Our ticketing system has text rendering issues in Firefox that reliably makes "clicked" look like "dicked."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wontfix; funny

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Sorting out Azure pricing. I guess Microsoft pricing in general is always a poo poo show, but being asked to very specifically break down ACI costs for something that does not currently exist is pain.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sorting out Azure pricing. I guess Microsoft pricing in general is always a poo poo show, but being asked to very specifically break down ACI costs for something that does not currently exist is pain.

Don't forget to throw in partner discounts!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

ChubbyThePhat posted:

What do you mean doesn’t exist yet?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

i am a moron posted:

What do you mean doesn’t exist yet?

The containers do not currently have any specs attached to them for reasons not provided to me when asked. I have no patience today and chalked it up to middle management needing to look important so I invented specs myself and priced those. If we're lucky I never hear about this again because it is a pet web app that will die before ever seeing the light of day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

codo27 posted:

Nope. There are several people at work who are really good people. Of course, when giving them the heads up about me bouncing in a month they told me that they're either also bouncing or in the process of finding somewhere to bounce too. With one exception.

I'm pretty sure she took the day off to have an interview, because she was marked as "Out of office (in a call)" on Teams today :v:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The containers do not currently have any specs attached to them for reasons not provided to me when asked. I have no patience today and chalked it up to middle management needing to look important so I invented specs myself and priced those. If we're lucky I never hear about this again because it is a pet web app that will die before ever seeing the light of day.

If it doesn't die, simply lie and say they changed their pricing

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Ooo I thought you meant the service or pricing doesn’t exist. Just copy/paste the per hour price and any bob’s and bits pricing and say ‘here you go fuckers’

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wibla posted:

I'd just say no. And refuse to elaborate further.

Except that if I did say no, they’d give it to someone else who would, and then the program that I created would turn into complete poo poo.

And I am strangely passionate about this topic so I’m staying on to Disagree and Commit the gently caress out of this ask.

BringBackATV
Jan 1, 2002
Rainbow Rider

Reoxygenation posted:

Why give information email when phone call do trick?

(And then you call and the person you need to help isn't even on location or available or brushes you off because helping them for more than 5 minutes is a bother to them)
Or you get “sorry I can’t help with that, but if you ring the Customer Service Centre…”

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

BringBackATV posted:

Or you get “sorry I can’t help with that, but if you ring the Customer Service Centre…”

Don't get me started on that...

In other news, I have a user. That user has issues with OneDrive. He is convinced that it's because I did the setup incorrectly for his Surface tablet (we use OneDrive to synchronize Sharepoint sites), because once in a while his OneDrive face plants, files start having sync issues, etc.

The problem is that he also had issues with his laptop previously. Same kind of issues. I am 100% convinced it is because of something with his home connection, because he is the only user I have that has had issues over the past 4 years like this (I have had sync issues with someone else but that was because he was trying to backup 150gb of files over 600k different files on his Desktop - funnily enough, requested by the same user that has the OneDrive issues).

I am so so so so so tired of his poo poo. I will try redoing the setup again. He will have issues, again, and try to pin it on me, I guess. He is not the only user that takes his stuff in and out of the office - many people do - but only he has issues, and I'm so loving tired of it. I'm ESPECIALLY tired of it, because OneDrive is a convenience, this is just an old boomer that refuses to use the web interface because "Windows explorer better".

:sigh:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The OneDrive web interface sucks, though.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It absolutely does loving suck, but it works. Which is better than his OneDrive making GBS threads the bed every 3 weeks.

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

Do they have any unique security software or drivers? I've seen AV gently caress up hydrating files before.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Unless they installed stuff that I am not aware of, no!

Unless they run stuff at home, which is kinda outside my scope (and care), unfortunately.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dragonshardz posted:

The OneDrive web interface sucks, though.

Stubborn boomers & learned helplessness suck more

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For all the talk 8x8 give about their cloud software, I've just been told by our support team that my extension won't work until they reboot our instance. Which is lol, lmao stuff. I bet the technical debt at that company is huge.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

For all the talk 8x8 give about their cloud software, I've just been told by our support team that my extension won't work until they reboot our instance. Which is lol, lmao stuff. I bet the technical debt at that company is huge.

I bet once you drill way way down it's probably just some heavily-hosed-with version of Asterisk.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Who ain't, really?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

That's ok, my company uses Hughes Net or something like that, cloud voip app blah blah blah (looks like a web app from geocities days), we have 24/7 facilities that we are contractually obligated to answer otherwise fines and funding will potentially get pulled. If the internet goes down, we can't fail the phones over to either the POTS lines they have or any other phone for :reasons: so we can't answer the phones if that happens. Thankfully the internet hasn't gone down.

Also, their cloud app is located in a single data center and has (prior to 4months ago) had multiple hour long outages resulting in all of their customers phones not working and being unable to failover to secondary phones.

I would kill to be on 8x8 instead of this poo poo.

Oh, funny thing about that, they went and paid for like a 10-year contract with 8x8 prior to me coming on, but they can't get out of their current contract and are likely now stuck with the 8x8 contract as well... This place is really good at planning phase of projects.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
At my workplace, over the last half of the year, they're pestering people with online courses regarding cybersecurity. I guess it makes sense for some people, like the stereotypical Linda in the front office, that gets bamboozled by an empty paper tray in the printer. But the video courses are pretty dumb, and the C-types oblige everyone to do these and track the metrics. So I'm regularly wasting time I could do other things, because so far they haven't "taught" me anything new.

Part of it is getting sent test mails, that we're supposed to forward to the abuse mailbox. And there's a lot of it. And I'm not loving doing it (some others don't either). Which led to some mild drama inside the company. The very least they can do is make these test mails look even just remotely convincing, because an unstyled HTML paragraph with a link that clearly leads to the provider of these courses is just loving insulting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is this an in-house developed scheme?

Because that sounds like someone's interpretation of the commercial anti-phishing services that are out there. They took a look at the price and we all "bullshit we can do that for free!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
A service from some company called KnowBe4. --edit: I figure the phishing test mails are in-house, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 7, 2023