Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

lol that's fuckin great. Nothing tops Hasek on that Gaborik breakaway though IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5u0khFnHUg

“What else was he supposed to do!?!” was an iconic moment in commentating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1710293891058926042?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q
Seems likely this will be the opening day roster, too, which is a choice. Also weird that they only iced Johnson for one preseason game and Clifton for two considering they will need time to get used to playing with their new teammates in a new system. Clifton looked bad the other night against Columbus. I’m not convinced he’s ready for top-pairing minutes.

That's because Connor Clifton isn't very good and he got overrated this summer for some reason. He got a big boost by playing on Boston's defense and occasionally getting reps with McAvoy or Lindholm, but he was basically a passenger player. He's fine if he's on your third pairing, and he plays a fun and exciting style of hockey, but he makes a lot of bad plays and sucks at defending players on the rush.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Are the hoping to be playoff bound Buffalo Sabres actually going to start the year with 7 u23 players including three rookies?

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/sabrespr/status/1710293891058926042?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Seems likely this will be the opening day roster, too, which is a choice. Also weird that they only iced Johnson for one preseason game and Clifton for two considering they will need time to get used to playing with their new teammates in a new system. Clifton looked bad the other night against Columbus. I’m not convinced he’s ready for top-pairing minutes. Greenway and Olofsson suck, too. Not sure what Donny G thinks he can get out of Greenway.

I’m not feeling super optimistic about the regular season but in spite of that I’m going to the home opener!!! Let’s Go Buffalo!!!

I’m done with the Oloffson experiment, but Quinn’s return will probably handle that.

Really surprised that UPL beat out Comrie, that’s not what I saw.

Greenway is a plug guy, not incredibly concerned. Either it clicks or it doesn’t. For all his faults he still is a good passer which is uncommon for someone of his size and that fits the mold of the team well.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ThinkTank posted:

Are the hoping to be playoff bound Buffalo Sabres actually going to start the year with 7 u23 players including three rookies?

Suffering is over

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I'm surprised it didn't get a mention but Bettman made it pretty clear expansion will be happening in the near term the other day.

Friedman made it clear that Salt Lake City is going to get the Coyotes or an expansion team, and that Atlanta, Quebec City and Houston are possibilities.

Who's ready for the 34 team NHL?

I'm actually ok with more teams provided Bettman never dies thus holding his no more playoff teams mantra cause the play in would suck rear end

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

The Dirty Burger posted:

“What else was he supposed to do!?!” was an iconic moment in commentating
And Gaborik not breaking into a million pieces is an iconic moment in player health.

Top 10 all-time hockey video.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
one of these days i'll purchase an NHL video game

not sure if 24 is gonna be it though

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not buying one until we can once more have custom music. I need my accurate goal horns, powerplay themes and intro songs. :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

neoaxd posted:

I'm not buying one until we can once more have custom music. I need my accurate goal horns, powerplay themes and intro songs. :colbert:

There was a really dang sweet period of time where most sports games were playing around with that idea. Sucks that those features went away. Custom intro themes for WWE games was always a kickass feature, even if it couldn't carry over online.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm actually ok with more teams provided Bettman never dies thus holding his no more playoff teams mantra cause the play in would suck rear end

Stop struggling. Embrace your fate. Soon enough it will be a 24 team playoff field.

Sooner or later regular seasons in American sports are going to start getting shorter. There's only so much room in the calendar to schedule more playoff games, and we're already pretty close against it.

Eventually the owners will realize that the financially optimal system is a short regular season followed by 3 months of ladder playoffs. Everyone in the playoffs! So much excitement.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Lol. Someone should fight that guy.

I’m still furious those dickhead refs denied us a goalie fight

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Stop struggling. Embrace your fate. Soon enough it will be a 24 team playoff field.

Sooner or later regular seasons in American sports are going to start getting shorter. There's only so much room in the calendar to schedule more playoff games, and we're already pretty close against it.

Eventually the owners will realize that the financially optimal system is a short regular season followed by 3 months of ladder playoffs. Everyone in the playoffs! So much excitement.

The regular season will never shrink in size. The owners would be happy to extend it considerably if they could. Revenue in hockey is heavily driven by gate receipts. You can charge more for the playoffs, but that's only true for half the number of teams. The ultimate goal is to expand the playoffs because it means more teams getting higher playoff gate receipts.

Bettman is only superficially resistant because right now he is not able to expand the playoffs. Ownership is focused on expansion which is a quicker injection of cash they don't have to share with the players. It's a massive loophole in the CBA so they'll rush to expand at least twice more before 2026.

At present, the CBA expressly forbids the league from expanding the playoffs without the players' consent (weirdly the league was allowed to implement a 3 game wild card round in 06 or 07 but never did and then the window to do so closed in the CBA). Considering the union and ownership haven't been this bitterly divided since 2004, that's not happening anytime soon. If the owners open the CBA negotiations now and ask to expand the playoffs, the players will demand a split of expansion fees. The covid restart CBA MOU was signed 3 years ago and the CBA still hasn't been updated. Usually that takes a few months. Things are very bad between the players and ownership right now.

I would expect we'll have a wild card round added as part of the CBA negotiations in 2026 but that's still a few years away. It'll be a tertiary subject of subject of discussion and the players will likely not grant it to the owners without a major concession their way.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's because Connor Clifton isn't very good and he got overrated this summer for some reason. He got a big boost by playing on Boston's defense and occasionally getting reps with McAvoy or Lindholm, but he was basically a passenger player. He's fine if he's on your third pairing, and he plays a fun and exciting style of hockey, but he makes a lot of bad plays and sucks at defending players on the rush.

counterpoint: he was paired with derek forbort and thus had to do two jobs at once

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shinjobi posted:

They're all the same :ssh:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/NYR_PR/status/1710339223906144399

Looks like Cuylle is gonna make the team out of camp? Happy for him, even if it's just while Pitlik is out.

Othmann was one of the few bright spots in camp, let him go down to Hartford and cook for a bit. Glad to see the Rangers properly handling development for once.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

They come to game pass 6 months late and i play like 10 games and uninstall it after being reminded that it's all just a roster update to NHL 07 every year.

We need a new NHL HItz game.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
You can do a 10 hour trial if you have game pass ultimate on Xbox. That's plenty of time to play a few games and see if you like it. I find most years I do not play more than those 10 hours.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Shinjobi posted:

Do you like opening packs of virtual cards?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/NYR_PR/status/1710339223906144399

Looks like Cuylle is gonna make the team out of camp? Happy for him, even if it's just while Pitlik is out.

Othmann was one of the few bright spots in camp, let him go down to Hartford and cook for a bit. Glad to see the Rangers properly handling development for once.

Seemed to be trending that way. I like Cuylle making the team, he is young and full of piss and vinegar. Has a knack for dirty goals in the crease.

Pitlick may be the most unexciting, low event, basic rear end, not above average at anything 4th liner in the league so I hope he steals his spot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Chad Sexington posted:

Do you like opening packs of virtual cards?

DO I?!?!?!:tviv:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1710355692962373737?s=20

drat, I wonder who they'll move up

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

devils sending out the ahliest possible roster tonight, they really don't want that perfect preseason curse

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1710021313102778400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pens icing as close to a starting lineup as you'll see. Not excited to see Ryan Shea continue to get reps if only because it means Sullivan is trying to find every possible excuse to dump PoJ. Only other vaguely interesting/notable things are Colin White getting the nod ahead of Wagner... Wagner has been very positively noticable in the preseason while White a bit less so. Whatever. Zahorna in ahead of Nylander the lesser who was waived isn't too shocking, but it seems that DO'C was taking 2nd line reps ahead of Big Z and the Kids Table so again vaguely interesting. Hooray we're nearly there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, Drew O'Connor really wants to stay in the NHL this season

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Who absolutely should have been in the NHL last year too but gotta Kasperi Kapanen

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Who absolutely should have been in the NHL last year too but gotta Kasperi Kapanen

Yeah he's been great
I also like this Harkins kid, he's the first penguin I've seen beat out an icing call in god knows how long

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Since Drew O'Connor probably.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crosby drip the gloves in a pre-season game?!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sidney Crosby just got in a fistfight with Peyton Krebs in a preseason game. That owns.

https://twitter.com/sabresplays/status/1710446573736304725?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Since the Sabres have embraced Fancy Stats, I guess Clifton had a really good impact on the PK which was one of the Sabres’ biggest weaknesses last season.

Eric Johnson brings… uh… veteran leadership and intangibles.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 7, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sidney Crosby just got in a fistfight with Peyton Krebs in a preseason game. That owns.

"fistfight"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I see Connor Clifton went to the Jack Johnson school of "just check a guy into your own goalie and hope for the best"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Clifton is real bad so yeah probably.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Clifton is a train wreck. Wow. He’s going to be waived before Thanksgiving

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

My god that EK pass. Wow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One day teams will learn not to sign defensemen whose numbers look good coming out of Boston.

If they trade them to you for some nothing picks because they're a big stupid museum nerd that's fine though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Clifton is a train wreck. Wow. He’s going to be waived before Thanksgiving

no chance, he's on a 3 year deal for $3 million
Buffalo's gonna have to ride him out

let that be a lesson about signing 3rd pairing guys and hoping you can turn them into first pairing guys for no reason

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Lars Eller has been very impressive so far through preseason.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

no chance, he's on a 3 year deal for $3 million
Buffalo's gonna have to ride him out

let that be a lesson about signing 3rd pairing guys and hoping you can turn them into first pairing guys for no reason

I don’t get why they were trying to make him first pairing other than some vain attempt to get Dahlin and Power both on the left side

Clifton isn’t rusty. He’s awful. Just wow. Three goals against all on him. Every time the play goes near him they lose possession. He even checks guys into his own net and causes goals against his goalie had saved. It’s comical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good gods, Lars Eller's on the Penguins now? Would it kill you guys to let someone with an age that starts with a 2 play a few minutes?