Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shard posted:

Here's another one - with hindsight what is the general consensus about Daniel Bryan and Edge retiring but then being able to wrestle later?Were the injuries overblown, did they just need enough time to heal, is it all smoke and mirrors or did medical procedures get better? Or a little bit of everything?

wwe told their doctors not to clear them until it was convenient for wwe to have them back in the ring when it was clear they were going to run out their contracts and wrestle somewhere else after getting cleared by outside doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shard posted:

Was cm punk actually ever considered the best wrestler in the world?

An extraordinary talent of exceptional ability and charisma when graded on the 2005-2014 WWE curve. If you grade outside of that specific time period and company, he falls down the rankings pretty quick I think to a very mid level wrestler with an above average promo ability. Not gonna make diamonds with someone bad, but isn't gonna put on a complete stinker of a match and at the very least the promos will be fun.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Shard posted:

Was cm punk actually ever considered the best wrestler in the world?

No, it was a slogan but he was never ever the best wrestler in any company he was in. This isn't a knock on him, he's actually insane that someone as athletically limited as him understood wrestling in such a fundamental level that he could put everything together to be one of the best. Its like Chris Jericho and they often got compared - they were both never the best at everything, they had moments and ebbs but they were complete as complete can be. When Jericho retires, if, he'll go down not as the best but maybe definitely The Greatest. Punk's like that. You watch Punk and Jerichoand hell Terry Funk to learn how to get the absolute most out of absolutely nothing.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I'm not 100%, but I think for Bryan Danielson it was more that WWE didn't want to risk injuries with him, or if you're more spiteful, were still angry at him for derailing their plans with WM30. Having a few years to heal up probably helped greatly, and AEW's reduced schedule is also reducing the wear and tear he endures. Eventually Bryan was going to wrestle SOMEWHERE, and there's no actual governing body saying someone can't wrestle. See: Ric Flair's pathetic showing recently, when he had really bad hard isseues. So eventually WWE relented.

For Edge, I'm pretty sure it was a hard diagnosis stopping him. WWE were always pretty strong behind Edge, and likely would have ran him as long as he wanted to keep going. From notes around that time, Edge was already considering going part time when his 2011 contract ended. There's probably some sports medicine advancements helping him recover and eventually make a return(plus the all important time). But it was real - There was a period during the Christian/ADR feud where they were protecting Edge hard from any physicality - like Bret Hart in 2010 levels of 'you cannot make any offensive physical moves against this guy', and even then, I think Bret took some worked punches still? I remember it being kinda silly at times on why ADR/Brodus didn't ever attack Edge.

So conspiracy to sideline DBry because he's too popular and distracting WWE's plans from what Vince actually wants? Yeah, I'd believe it. For Edge? Nope. They legitimately believed he was wholly hosed and one flat back bump away from total paralysis.

Relatedly, what ever became of Sheamus's horrible neck issues? I remember years ago that people were expecting his imminent retirement because he had, "a bad case of Edge-neck". But the guys still going strong and one of the bright spots in WWE's darkness?

Lid posted:

No, it was a slogan but he was never ever the best wrestler in any company he was in. This isn't a knock on him, he's actually insane that someone as athletically limited as him understood wrestling in such a fundamental level that he could put everything together to be one of the best. Its like Chris Jericho and they often got compared - they were both never the best at everything, they had moments and ebbs but they were complete as complete can be. When Jericho retires, if, he'll go down not as the best but maybe definitely The Greatest. Punk's like that. You watch Punk and Jerichoand hell Terry Funk to learn how to get the absolute most out of absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't call Chris Jericho athletically limited. Dude's still pulling off the Lionsault at 52. Should he be doing that? Probably not. Still miles ahead of Punk's athleticism though, who started doing a Randy Savage-inspired elbow drop a decade ago and people were trashing how garbage it looked even back then.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 7, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

NameHurtBrain posted:

Relatedly, what ever became of Sheamus's horrible neck issues? I remember years ago that people were expecting his imminent retirement because he had, "a bad case of Edge-neck". But the guys still going strong and one of the bright spots in WWE's darkness?

Sheamus has been pretty public about the recovery process through his various workout vlogs. As far as I can tell, they just... caught his neck issues at a better time and had better therapy routines for it than they had when Edge retired. Besides, brawling has always been a reasonably safe style for people with bad necks.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Sheamus has had a not-insignificant amount of time off (he's out right now!) but it seems to be shoulder issues? But he missed six months in 2013-2014, another four months in 2014-2015, spent four years primarily in tags with Claudio that were reportedly in part to give him an easier schedule, then missed most of 2019 due to injury and has wrestled a light-for-WWE schedule since then; a significant portion of his current run has also been in tags with the Brawling Brutes.

That's not to say he doesn't still have big singles matches, but they're relatively spaced out, and as mentioned above have largely been brawling hoss fights with Drew and Gunther and the like which are probably safer than most big singles matches in terms of neck bumps in 2023, as long as he never has to face off against Ridge Holland.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the longest time between a wrestler retiring or just not wrestling anymore then returning at generally the same level they had before? I remember being impressed with Ricky Steamboat vs Jericho but I don't know how long he was out of performing.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You have Christian at about 7(?) years.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the longest time between a wrestler retiring or just not wrestling anymore then returning at generally the same level they had before? I remember being impressed with Ricky Steamboat vs Jericho but I don't know how long he was out of performing.

I think he had to pack it in during 94 or 95, so around 15 years between matches.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
It's also worth noting that, as it turns out, when you have a debilitating retirement-worthy injury and you take 5-10 years to stop throwing yourself at a barely padded hardwood floor a bunch of times every week, you feel a lot better and can do it again.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

wwe told their doctors not to clear them until it was convenient for wwe to have them back in the ring when it was clear they were going to run out their contracts and wrestle somewhere else after getting cleared by outside doctors.

IIRC, with Danielson in particular, he's since said that once he announced he had to retire, the non-WWE doctors he had seen reached out to him and said, "wait, no, what are they telling you? You need a lot of time for this to resolve, but there's no reason you can't wrestle again once it does."

Since Danielson genuinely seems to like Vince for some reason, he didn't push the issue too hard at first. But once he felt like coming back and the WWE doctors were still telling him, "no, you're done, that's it," he gave the company an ultimatum: he'd see any neutral doctors WWE chose and do any tests WWE wanted, and if he passed them, then WWE could do what they wanted but, like you pointed out, he would be wrestling somewhere as soon as he was legally able.

(And then he feuded with Big Cass and the matches were so awful that people were like, "man, maybe their doctors were right and Bryan genuinely is cooked.")

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Remember when Hogan, a childhood hero of Edge, tweeted out that Edge was a big baby because Hogan and everyone else in his era just worked through injuries

What an rear end in a top hat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Remember when Hogan, a childhood hero of Edge, tweeted out that Edge was a big baby because Hogan and everyone else in his era just worked through injuries

What an rear end in a top hat.

Edge was also one of the guys instrumental in making Hogan look great during the period where he was hanging around the upper midcard. Jericho mentioned in his book as the brands were switching talent around Hogan was upset "he was losing all his guys". To Jericho 's credit he was savvy enough to realize that Hogan was bemoaning having athletic, younger guys to do 80%-90% of the work in tag matches.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

My cousin is a nurse and her husband is a prominent spine/neck surgeon. I talked to them about this the other day and, apparently, the technology for that stuff has progressed insanely in the last decade
The improvements are especially the case if you are a rich-ish athlete who can rehab and have money to afford the best treatment and devices, which is probably why Edge went from "probably going to die in the ring if he wrestles again" to "hour long mediocre match with Randy Orton".

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

(And then he feuded with Big Cass and the matches were so awful that people were like, "man, maybe their doctors were right and Bryan genuinely is cooked.")

coincidentally enough, Bryan wrestled Big Bill a couple of weeks ago in a tag match alongside Claudio and Starks, and obviously Bill is much better now than he was five years ago, but they just worked so much better together this time around

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

disaster pastor posted:

IIRC, with Danielson in particular, he's since said that once he announced he had to retire, the non-WWE doctors he had seen reached out to him and said, "wait, no, what are they telling you? You need a lot of time for this to resolve, but there's no reason you can't wrestle again once it does."

Since Danielson genuinely seems to like Vince for some reason, he didn't push the issue too hard at first. But once he felt like coming back and the WWE doctors were still telling him, "no, you're done, that's it," he gave the company an ultimatum: he'd see any neutral doctors WWE chose and do any tests WWE wanted, and if he passed them, then WWE could do what they wanted but, like you pointed out, he would be wrestling somewhere as soon as he was legally able.

I remember people being more like "Big Cass is the wort wrestler on the planet other than Enzo."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, Bryan didn't even have that bad a match with Bill, it was just kinda meh, which was obviously a big mark against Bill because I'm pretty sure Danielson could carry me to a 4 star match.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Didn't they do Danielson/Bill in the run up to MJF/Danielson?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He was in the tag match

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I had forgotten that Bryan and Big Cass had two PPV singles matches, perhaps not coincidentally the two highest rated (and the two final) PPV matches of Big Cass's main roster career in WWE.

Dave Meltzer posted:

Great Balls of Fire
Big Cass pinned Enzo Amore in 5:20. Enzo did a long promo before the match, talking about how he and Cass made their main roster debut in Dallas. He mostly talked about Frank Sinatra’s song “That’s Life,” and said it reminds him of his own life. He said he doesn’t sleep because his real life is better than his dreams. Last I heard he was dating Liv Morgan. Enzo said that he was a star and Cass is 7-feet tall and nothing else and that he was the one who was going to be larger than life. Then the match started, and it was just a total one-sided squash. Booker opened the match saying Enzo doesn’t stand a chance. And they worked the match telling that story. The positive is the crowd really hated Cass for breaking up the team. He was booed a lot. Cass pressed Enzo overhead and dropped him over the top rope to the floor. Enzo struggled to beat the ten count, but got kicked in the face and pinned. *

Summerslam 2017
Big Cass pinned Big Show in 10:27. This pretty much sucked in a lot of different ways. Enzo Amore was put in the shark cage. The shark cage is usually where you put a heel manager. It was a plodding boring match that was meant to get Cass over big but was a psychological disaster, plus it killed the entire shark cage gimmick. Enzo came out for his big promo saying he was the Al Capone of the microphone. He said he would put his worst day ever on the mic ahead of Cass’ best day ever inside the ring, which was funny. So you had Booker T, the babyface announcer, just burying Enzo the entire match, saying he’s like the ex-girlfriend who keeps calling you. The story was that Show’s right hand was injured due to the angle on Raw where Cass slammed the shark cage door on it. Once the match started, the crowd didn’t much care. Show went for the Vader bomb and started selling his hand. Show hit the knockout punch, but started selling his hand and Cass kicked out. The idea is the hand was damaged and he didn’t have his usual power. The crowd was chanting boring at this point. Show tried a choke slam but couldn’t get Cass up because his right hand hurt. He did a left handed choke slam but Cass kicked out of that. Cass smashed Show’s hand on the post. Keep in mind this shark cage, instead of being hung high above the ring, was maybe eight or nine feet tops above the ring, which was ridiculous. Enzo kept trying to get out. So then Enzo took off his shirt and his pants, and was there in his boxers. He pulled oil out of his boxers, and poured it all over himself with the idea it would make him slippery. So he was able to get through the bars of the cage. He dropped down from the cage into the ring no problem. Cass then kicked Enzo in the face and knocked him out. So all of that led to nothing. Cass then kicked Show in the face and pinned him after the Empire elbow. So the heel destroyed two faces, including making a fool out of the one who tried to interfere. *

Backlash 2018
Daniel Bryan beat Big Cass in 7:44. Corey Graves said that if tanning was a skill, Cass would be among the greatest of all-time. Not much here. The crowd chanted “We Want Enzo.” Good luck on that one. Bryan did some running dropkicks. Cass did some clotheslines. Bryan won with a head kick and the Yes lock submission. Cass tapped right away. Cass attacked him after the match, giving him two Biel throws on the floor while the crowd chanted “You tapped out.” Cass left him laying after a running kick. **

Money in the Bank 2018
Daniel Bryan beat Big Cass in 15:17. The crowd was very into the match and Bryan is always very good. There were lots of “Yes” chants. Bryan escaped the torture rack and won with a running knee and heel hook submission. This was a pretty clear blow-off to the program. **3/4

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just remember the promo where Dragon promised to hit him "with a shot to the dome when your momma ain't home"

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Didn't they do Danielson/Bill in the run up to MJF/Danielson?

they actually didn't! The 9/16 match was the first time they'd wrestled together since 2018.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
By the time they were doing MJF vs Danielson, they'd abandoned the Firm due to the double whammy of Regal and Punk both being out of the picture, so there wasn't the clear link between Bill and Max any more to make it make sense.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Shard posted:

Here's another one - with hindsight what is the general consensus about Daniel Bryan and Edge retiring but then being able to wrestle later?Were the injuries overblown, did they just need enough time to heal, is it all smoke and mirrors or did medical procedures get better? Or a little bit of everything?
To add to what others have said, there are a bunch of weird layers to the Danielson retirement that have largely been forgotten.

It seems like what sidelined him indefinitely was the 1-2 punch of Bryan 1. Suffering a concussion that WWE missed, resulting in him being sent on the European tour, where it was eventually caught. 2. It being his first concussion since his agreement with his wife that if he suffered another concussion, he would come clean about all of the concussions he omitted from his history when he signed in 2009. That they missed it, combined with the truth bomb? It always felt like they were worried about getting sued if something happened to him after that point.

While he was out indefinitely with no end in sight, he watched an episode of Inside MMA where they profiled how the Serra-Longo MMA team was using some kind of new test/device from a company named Evoke Neuroscience that was helping them catch more subtle neurological issues. So Bryan reached out to Evoke and tried out their gimmick that I forget the name of. They called him and told him that he had a lesion in an area of the brain that causes seizures. He told Vince, and with the next Raw being in Seattle, Vince basically ordered him to officially retire and do the speech on that show.

He did some media in the next few days where he laid out all of the details, at which point the various doctors he'd seen on his own reached out to him. One of them asked why he retired, so Bryan relayed the story. That's when the doctor exlained that 1. The Evoke thing wasn't a diagnostic test. 2. "Lesion" in those terms simply meant "there's SOMETHING there, but that's the extent of what we know" and not a literal abrasion on his brain.

So then his depression over having wrestling taken away from him was compounded by how it was probably all kind of bullshit.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i mean the company being what it was i absolutely believe they looked for any reason to ice him while still having him under their thumb so him getting over wouldn't derail the Roman project and only when the likelihood of him making money for somebody else, which is the worst thing you could do in vince's eyes, only then they acquiesced and told their doctors to clear him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know anything, but it seems like there's a huge difference between taking the WWE standard time off for a given injury, and taking as much time as you need with no expectation that you'll even return to work.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Myself, like a lot of people my age that I knew, grew up watching the attitude era and phased out when Cena was getting big. What were the biggest moments of the 00's?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

davidbix posted:

To add to what others have said, there are a bunch of weird layers to the Danielson retirement that have largely been forgotten.

It seems like what sidelined him indefinitely was the 1-2 punch of Bryan 1. Suffering a concussion that WWE missed, resulting in him being sent on the European tour, where it was eventually caught. 2. It being his first concussion since his agreement with his wife that if he suffered another concussion, he would come clean about all of the concussions he omitted from his history when he signed in 2009. That they missed it, combined with the truth bomb? It always felt like they were worried about getting sued if something happened to him after that point.

While he was out indefinitely with no end in sight, he watched an episode of Inside MMA where they profiled how the Serra-Longo MMA team was using some kind of new test/device from a company named Evoke Neuroscience that was helping them catch more subtle neurological issues. So Bryan reached out to Evoke and tried out their gimmick that I forget the name of. They called him and told him that he had a lesion in an area of the brain that causes seizures. He told Vince, and with the next Raw being in Seattle, Vince basically ordered him to officially retire and do the speech on that show.

He did some media in the next few days where he laid out all of the details, at which point the various doctors he'd seen on his own reached out to him. One of them asked why he retired, so Bryan relayed the story. That's when the doctor exlained that 1. The Evoke thing wasn't a diagnostic test. 2. "Lesion" in those terms simply meant "there's SOMETHING there, but that's the extent of what we know" and not a literal abrasion on his brain.

So then his depression over having wrestling taken away from him was compounded by how it was probably all kind of bullshit.

that was interesting. thanks for sharing

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Kurash posted:

Myself, like a lot of people my age that I knew, grew up watching the attitude era and phased out when Cena was getting big. What were the biggest moments of the 00's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDuNZyYAIQ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kurash posted:

Cena's surprise return at Royal Rumble 2008.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Flair's "retirement" maybe?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kurash posted:

CM Punk tried to kidnap Jared from Subway.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Off the top of my head, Jeff Hardy winning the WWE Championship at Armageddon, Ric Flair's retirement, The Nexus's debut, HBK vs. Undertaker in the run up to Wrestlemania 26, Chris Jericho turning heel on HBK by putting him through the JeriTron and becoming a suit-wearing heel, CM Punk's "pipebomb" promo and subsequent victory at Money In The Bank 2011, Edge cashing in Money in the Bank for the first time against Cena at New Year's Revolution...

For non-WWE you have Steen vs. Generico in ROH and their match at Final Battle 2010, Mick Foley's run in TNA, others...

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Real answer, I guess it depends on what exactly you mean by “moments”, but off the top of my head:

-Brock Lesnars first run and eventually quitting to play football but ending up in UFC
-Death of Eddie Guerrero
-Death of Chris Benoit
-Undertakers Wrestlemania streak became a big deal
-Ring of Honor doing good indy things
-The general rise of indy wrestling, PWG, Chikara, etc.
-Christian jumping to and becoming a main eventer in TNA
-Kurt Angle jumping to TNA
-ECW revival in WWE
-CM Punk signing with WWE and eventually debuting in ECW
-Samoa Joe

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh yeah, ECW One Night Stand 2005 deserves a nod for sure.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh yeah, ECW One Night Stand 2005 deserves a nod for sure.

Sandman's entrance is one of the hypest things I've ever seen.

They believe because he believes.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

neoaxd posted:

Sandman's entrance is one of the hypest things I've ever seen.

They believe because he believes.

Hell yeah

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1czzyj

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I love making GBS threads all over CM Punk right now because he is such a pathetic manbaby, but his WWE career did have some great moments. His heel work on Smackdown was fantastic when he leaned into his straight edge lifestyle, antagonizing Jeff Hardy for his real life history of substance abuse. Hardy would fight back and they had a fantastic ladder match that Hardy just... lost. Punk basically got to call him an idiot druggie, Hardy said "Fight me!" and Punk did, Hardy lost and then left WWE, end of story. That was pretty amazing and got nuclear heat on Punk long before the pipe bomb.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The best part of that was that they let Punk keep cutting promos on Jeff after he left. He came out the next week dressed as Jeff and using his entrance (I think the emo hair kid gif comes from that clip), and then after Jeff got popped again for drug possession & DUI, the next week Punk came out and said "I TOOOOOOLD YOOOOUUUUU!"

It was framed like Jeff was going to return and beat his rear end, but it was literally just Punk making GBS threads on Jeff for heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

And then they had Undertaker squash him because he wouldn't wear a suit