Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Thats because they don’t do any real world building. Everyone is excited to see how they translate the books to the show that they’ll slip in a very minor character name and everyone loses their poo poo because they know they from the books. It’s been 2 seasons and nobody has even really explained why the dragon is needed. THE titular character is just kinda there fafing about doing gently caress all except growling a couple lines here and there while everyone else just pulls him to a new scene. Ya know that scene where Lan says some things to Rand about sword techniques? It’s for the book readers and it’s not even a good representation of it since it matters very little to the tv show but the book readers can point and say they know that! Like the show is fine but I don’t think anyone would give one poo poo about it if it wasn’t attached to WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Valentin posted:

that's not really my issue with it. what's neat about the collar and bracelet is the way they genre-fy processes of oppression and colonization. they simply prevent you from translating an intention to do harm to your captor into actual action, standing in for the complex ways that a person's world and thought patterns can be hemmed in and twisted such that violence to one's oppressors becomes a frightening, taboo, or simply impossible thought. that's the whole point of the (compelling!) water jug scene. what they do in this episode breaks that simple but effective piece of genre work in a disappointing way, because there's no real reason she should be able to use the collar and bracelet as a weapon, which she basically does. on a further level that probably isn't worth breaking down here, i find it exceedingly personally and politically distasteful, as well as usually corrosive to the meaning and intent of a work, when e.g. "overcoming" slavery is portrayed as a matter of willpower and personal endurance. what makes the collar and bracelet so good is that they bypass that very tired trope so that the portrayal of slavery can focus on the broader power dynamics between these two individuals in the context of seanchan society and not strength or power levels, and "egwene is simply so cool and driven she can endure the pain better than weak and evil renna" does shade into that a little too much for my taste.

I agree with some of your broader points here especially her being able to collar renna since she is in fact basically using it as a weapon but on your last one I feel like Egwene's sheer willpower and determination being enough to withstand the feedback loop and "win" was established already in the episode with her training, when she outlasted even a sitter of the most strong willed people on the planet, and then on top of that we also saw how fast the sul'drat that Nynaeve collared broke this week.

Invalid Validation posted:

It’s been 2 seasons and nobody has even really explained why the dragon is needed.

They have said he has to fight the Dark One in the Last Battle a lot imo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IcePhoenix posted:

I agree with some of your broader points here especially her being able to collar renna since she is in fact basically using it as a weapon but on your last one I feel like Egwene's sheer willpower and determination being enough to withstand the feedback loop and "win" was established already in the episode with her training, when she outlasted even a sitter of the most strong willed people on the planet, and then on top of that we also saw how fast the sul'drat that Nynaeve collared broke this week.

It's pretty easy to believe a damane who'd been subjected to countless horrors unbroken would last longer than a woman who's never experienced that pain before and just had the very core of her identity shattered

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

IcePhoenix posted:

They have said he has to fight the Dark One in the Last Battle a lot imo.

The weapon thing isn't a factor at all imo. The Seanchan themselves don't view the A'dam as a weapon. They view it as a necessary tool that makes someone who can channel safe for the rest of society. Egwene's just using their own exact mindset against them.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

The weapon thing isn't a factor at all imo. The Seanchan themselves don't view the A'dam as a weapon. They view it as a necessary tool that makes someone who can channel safe for the rest of society. Egwene's just using their own exact mindset against them.

A water jug also isn't a weapon. That's the whole point.

"Egwene successfully internalized her captors' worldview to the point where the a'dam ceased to be an implement of literal violence done to her on a daily basis or a symbol of human enslavement, and instead became simply a value neutral tool that she then uses to enslave someone else without recognizing that act as violence" would be a hell of a plotline but I don't know that the show really depicted that or is interested in dealing with its consequences (and again, making it something that can be rules-lawyered around really undercuts the totalizing nature of the collar and bracelet).

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 6, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ultimately in the end I'm willing to just allow how the show did it based on the rule of cool because that scene was insanely cool and satisfying

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not unreasonable that the usual rules don't apply to a special magical tool.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

In the Seanchan Empire women who can channel are either enslaved or killed, collaring Renna was saving her life.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I could see it working by some sort of extreme technical wording, Aes Sedai style. I'm not bothered by it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

When we see Egwene's Mind Palace Plan of what to do with the pitcher, it's very clearly used as an actual weapon. A physical device to whack the sul'dam.

The A'dam doesn't do that. It just goes around the neck. No blood, no nothing. Renna doesn't even stagger back like she just got throat punched. It was the gentlest little click.

I think you're putting too much reliance on a magical device being able to reason something out. Especially given the dozens of examples we see on screen of similar magical devices not being able to reason out a lie as a lie.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Ishamael standing there throwing fireballs at Egwene was really silly. In general it felt like they wanted to crush three episodes of content into one, which is a shame... I can imagine the pacing must be a struggle to get right for an adaptation like this, but the last episode of this season just didn't do it for me as a conclusion. I liked the season in general but you could tell they needed a lot more room to work with.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah 8 episodes is not enough per season. They need at least two more.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

accurate depiction

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
My read on Ishamael he was weakened after breaking out the other Forsaken from the seal that Lews said he might not be able to break

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Not a book reader. Am a Star Wars fan. Enjoyed this finale way more than the latest Star Wars series finale so :shrug:

I legit teared up when Mat realized he's not a baddie (and apparently summoned some sick polearm skills?)

Not sure how to feel about Daddy Whitecloak dying or the Whitecloaks in general apart from the one obvious super bad guy. They answered a call, at least? Daddy Whitecloak didn't seem like a bad person, he just killed an animal that was ravaging at his subordinate that happened to be an obvious bad guy? Yes, they seem to hunt channelers so that's bad, and the thread discussions about KKK mirroring.

Wait the guy with the long nails had martial prowess judging by his....posing and stance? Well, not that it meant much since all of them got skewered. Oh well, their synchronized posing was cool before they died!

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I enjoy the show and I've never read the books but I just looked it up and there are fourteen books?! According to some people in this thread they are either on book 2 or a combination of book 2/3, in which case this series is never going to make it to completion. I'm not sure if I want to keep watching or wait a few years to see if they are able to finish... I hate getting invested in shows that just get canceled.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
17 books and a prequel

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vim Fuego posted:

17 books and a prequel

:thunk:

It's definitely 14 books and a prequel.

delightful posted:

I enjoy the show and I've never read the books but I just looked it up and there are fourteen books?! According to some people in this thread they are either on book 2 or a combination of book 2/3, in which case this series is never going to make it to completion. I'm not sure if I want to keep watching or wait a few years to see if they are able to finish... I hate getting invested in shows that just get canceled.

There's several books later that were much slower and a large number of pages can be cut or greatly condensed. Don't worry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

delightful posted:

The showrunners say they have an eight season story planned out, so that means they're probably gonna either mash multiple books together into single seasons or just condense the essential plot beats from whole books down to a couple of episodes because the books kinda get lost in the reeds in the saggy middle books. A 1:1 adaptation of the books is impossible but as we've seen, they are NOT doing that in the slightest. We're about a quarter of the way done the show's story now, but they need to speed it the gently caress up otherwise they're gonna be at this poo poo for another 12 years if it keeps taking them two years to get a season out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

delightful posted:

The plan is apparently for eight seasons, and that's feasible given that the later books have a lot of dead weight space in them.

That said, worst case, series is cancelled, you can read the books and find out what happens. Basically everyone agrees that the series has a very strong ending.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

A single effort post on this forum could probably hit the highlights for 3 of the middle books, so yea they absolutely can hit the target of 8 seasons.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Ok thank you, that is actually reassuring. Let us pray to our Lord Bezos that he keeps funding this for 6 more seasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

delightful posted:

Ok thank you, that is actually reassuring. Let us pray to our Lord Bezos that he keeps funding this for 6 more seasons.

Season 3 is almost done filming, actors strike resolution pending. So it's actually just 5 now.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Remember when we had to wait six years to get through those three books? Good times.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is the thread’s “no book spoilers” policy intended to preserve the future plot of the show, or to allow TV watchers to become book readers and discover the differences on their own? There are a couple of things I’d like to credit the show for handling better than in the books, but that would obviously require discussing the books’ versions of those scenes and/or characters.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I feel like any book discussion and comparison should go in the book barn thread. I would also highly recommend the books to anyone who hasn't read them but is enjoying the show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It also helps that the BB thread is way faster moving than this one, if that's your bag

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Any book-to-show comparison talk is a slippery slope, especially since every person has their own threshold for what they consider to be spoilers. Stuff they seem to have skipped may come up later. Best to keep show-only impressions here and book chat over in the other thread

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Was Ishmael killed according to his own plan? Since that’s what he wanted anyway? If that’s the case, are the super friends just doing as the dark ones (or whatever they’re called) want?

Yeah, you can tell I’m a non book reader. I like this show, but holy hell there’s a lot to keep track of, and it could definitely use some more time to breathe.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Was Ishmael killed according to his own plan? Since that’s what he wanted anyway? If that’s the case, are the super friends just doing as the dark ones (or whatever they’re called) want?

Yeah, you can tell I’m a non book reader. I like this show, but holy hell there’s a lot to keep track of, and it could definitely use some more time to breathe.

Based on what he and Lanfear said in this episode, his plan was to convince Rand to turn evil by turning his friends evil first. Ishamael wants to destroy the world by helping the Dark One win and a guaranteed way to do that was to turn the Dragon to the shadow. Egwene had been captured and was ideally going to be tortured into a weapon of war, Matt was being given lots of drugs and left alone with an evil dagger, and Perrin kind of escaped before he could do more than some small mind games.

What Lanfear did is teleport Rand there before he was really ready so he fell on his backup plan of just killing the Dragon. Which Lanfear also ruined. So he died, but not before his backup backup plan of releasing the other Forsaken. Actually dying is a bit of a consolation prize for him since last time around the Dragon refused to kill him.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
LMAO at Mat making a magic spear by tying magic dagger to a stick. D&D player-rear end move

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The Horn of Valyr is $85 at West Elm

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Not even the right shape, or color, nor can I call the heroes of the horn to fight by your side.

2/5 could not recommend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

I really liked that the Horn looked like some insane Star Trek-rear end sci-fi thing that came from the future or something. I love every little reminder they throw you that the Age of Legends was the Magic Future/Past.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the Age of Legends the horn was actually an ordinary, everyday personal security device. $44.99 at Best Buy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

withak posted:

In the Age of Legends the horn was actually an ordinary, everyday personal security device. $44.99 at Best Buy.

I would lol so hard if Mat tried to blow it, and well, uh

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

There is a lot happening in the show, so it’s easy to miss some things. Rewatching can help with that, but some other things are deliberately left vague or unexplained. You can just ask about things you didn’t quite understand and so far most everyone has been good about answering those questions without going into book spoilers or saying WAFO (Watch And Find Out).

For this one, it feels to me that this was Ishamael‘s plan B. Release the other Forsaken, go out blazing, and hope that in all the chaos that is to come the super friends lose to the Dark. Remember, he wants the Wheel to be broken. He doesn’t have to be around when that happens for him to achieve his goal.

A small reminder: the Dark One is the anti-creator and the Forsaken/Chosen are the leaders of the Dark One’s forces from the Age of Legends.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LinkesAuge posted:

Ya, it's a horrible trope but I kinda expected it giving the overall writing.

I'm a non-book viewer and I have to say that things are just not connecting for me. This finale really left me cold and I feel there are too many assumptions baked into the show that a viewer who didn't read the book just doesn't share.
The thread here has already revealed more about the broader concept in regards to fights across time and reincarnation than the show has. Too much is left vague and that's a problem because the characters act like they all know what's going on so why aren't we getting that world building?
There is too much stuff that is introduced without any context. The recent new Forsaken are a prime example of this. Guess it's a thing that they could have just "spawned" more of them. Why they didn't or why Ishamael even bothered with Lanfear (especially if she is likely to betray him) is unclear.
Now you can argue that its just setup for next season and if it was just this example I'd be fine with it but it's now two seasons and I still don't feel like I know/understand this world. After two seasons of GoT I had an excellent grip on what was going on. Who the "players" were, the involved factions, what's at stake and how it all relates to each other.
I just don't get it with this show, it's all over the place where people appear and how they interact with each other.

I honestly don't even know what the "death" of Ishamael is supposed to mean. It's unclear to me if that's now a big deal or not, especially with Lanfear and other Forsaken still around and Lanfear's motivations are also just a mystery to me, the show only tells us that they expect betrayal of each other. I have no idea why and how that makes sense considering it was Ishamael who got her in the first place and they don't bother to give us more than that and instead time is spent on campy dialogue between her and Rand which also doesn't tell us anything useful.
They only tease us with a flashback that creates more questions for me than it gives answers and all I see are disconnected pieces that I can't really care about. I can GUESS purely based on meta knowledge what type of character or archetype Ishamael is supposed to be but the show never did enough to explore him so that I actually care about his fate/goals and thus it really takes away from his defeat/death.

I'm also a non-book reader and I honestly think a lot of this stuff is actually very clear. The bolded in particular is pretty directly stated in the show: Lanfear is the least dangerous and most predictable of the Forsaken. She was friends with Ishamael and Lews Therin, so Ishamael thinks he understands her motivations and can work with her the most effectively out of all the Forsaken. It's a given, then, that the rest of the Forsaken are far, far worse than Lanfear and Ishamael deliberately did not awaken them yet because they would be harder to control.

I don't think this show is perfect or anything, but I have a fairly good understanding of the stakes and characters. Oh, except the Whitecloaks. I've forgotten everything about them from the first season. They're men who hate witches, is basically all I remember.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 7, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Metis of the Hallway posted:

I don't think this show is perfect or anything, but I have a fairly good understanding of the stakes and characters. Oh, except the Whitecloaks. I've forgotten everything about them from the first season. They're men who hate witches, is basically all I remember.
They are an extra-national military force focussed on defeating the Dark with any means necessary. They are obviously also the ones deciding who is supporting the Dark. In their view, obviously all channelers support the Dark. Anyone criticizing them, working against them or even suspicious of them is obviously supporting the Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Something like half the books could have been resolved with a five minute conference call between the principle players, with nothing of value lost

I like show Ishamael, but his show characterization wouldn't really play into the book confrontation at Falme, so I'm glad they rewrote it rather than trying to force it. It does mean they owe Rand a future storyline where he shows some competence and volition