Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

bone emulator posted:

hi, I have a story question :

Why do the Starborn want to reboot the universe all the time? what do they gain? The mild enjoyment of seeing a timeline where everyone wears cowboy hats? What's the endgoal here? Maybe they explained this and I skipped it, because most of the dialogue in this game is very boring to listen to.

They may have their individual reasons but to me it felt like the driving thing was that they got to increase their powers. For especially the Hunter, once he transcended he no longer felt any real connection to humanity, so there wasn’t really a downside to jumping once he could. But not every Starborn chose to keep jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bone emulator posted:

hi, I have a story question :

Why do the Starborn want to reboot the universe all the time? what do they gain? The mild enjoyment of seeing a timeline where everyone wears cowboy hats? What's the endgoal here? Maybe they explained this and I skipped it, because most of the dialogue in this game is very boring to listen to.

Did you finish the game?

Its all about power. There are a number of open questions and it’s an obvious DLC hook. Still, we know from the NG+ system that every time a starborn “jumps” they get more powers, a better suit, ship and have more power just by being a higher level with more skill points.

In addition to power, what I wonder is if continuing to jump is needed for the immortality that starborn have. I suspect so, but the rules are not immediately clear and some of the lines from the hunter are confusing. Like, does he “reset” back to before the Earth was destroyed after each jump or do starborn eventually have more control over the process? Do you get “clinical immortality” after one starborn jump or do you have to enter the unity to continue? If the latter, how can the hunter be 200+ years old?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And since I made the reference earlier, more entire game spoilers…
What CHIM powers do all starborn get? The hunter and emissary clearly have some features of having Vivec tier awareness and some powers but clearly they aren’t all that great with the creation kit. The hunter seems to know some console commands at least.
Are all the cannon fodder starborn just people that stumbled into the unity once without following “the path”? They clearly don’t have the same level of power that the main starborn do.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

And since I made the reference earlier, more entire game spoilers…
What CHIM powers do all starborn get? The hunter and emissary clearly have some features of having Vivec tier awareness and some powers but clearly they aren’t all that great with the creation kit. The hunter seems to know some console commands at least.
Are all the cannon fodder starborn just people that stumbled into the unity once without following “the path”? They clearly don’t have the same level of power that the main starborn do.

Thanks for the referance, it was on my mind a lot due to the dissaperence of my garden gnomes, the blighters keep getting knicked

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

honestly it's loving weird that NG+ gives you a ship and special suit. It has no in-universe explanation at all. Is God playing battle royale with his sandbox toys

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

how about the ryujin questline? where you're committing corporate espionage but the companies you go up against all deserve it, you start the questline with the higher ups all explaining to you one by one how you can still be a good guy while participating in this story, and the climax involves catching the one really evil executive before she can oust the CEO who she doesn't respect because she's too "soft."

You mean the part where the game explicitly tells you to not even hint at moral arguments because most of the board doesn't care about anything but profit or their pet issues, and doing so will actually turn them against you. Are you claiming those aren't presented as evil executives? And of course the other companies deserve it, the whole point of the corporate dystopia in fiction it that all the corporations are corrupt as hell, and even if they contain good people, they are always ground down by the system. There are even conversations where Ryujin personnel admit they aren't any better, but since you are playing for their team of course you should root for them, especially since you'll be out of a job otherwise.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Reminds me a lot of old becmi d&d, which suggested the end game was going from 0-god several times over then retiring as an Old One mega-god

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
ahhhhh..... Finally got all the powers what a drat grind.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

Hel posted:

You mean the part where the game explicitly tells you to not even hint at moral arguments because most of the board doesn't care about anything but profit or their pet issues, and doing so will actually turn them against you. Are you claiming those aren't presented as evil executives? And of course the other companies deserve it, the whole point of the corporate dystopia in fiction it that all the corporations are corrupt as hell, and even if they contain good people, they are always ground down by the system. There are even conversations where Ryujin personnel admit they aren't any better, but since you are playing for their team of course you should root for them, especially since you'll be out of a job otherwise.

I'm probably not doing the best job explaining this, but I agree with you that the Ryujin guys are bad. I'm just poking fun at the way they frame everything in order to create some kind of moral ambiguity. Maybe because they want to seem like they have something interesting to say?

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

VostokProgram posted:

honestly it's loving weird that NG+ gives you a ship and special suit. It has no in-universe explanation at all. Is God playing battle royale with his sandbox toys

Starfield takes place within a particularly jank instance of pubg

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I found a va'ruun battle rifle thing that you can mod into a shotgun. The gun looks good and melts tough enemies. Shame it can't be automatic though.

isndl posted:

code:
completequest 2c0fd9
completequest 98b4e
resetquest 2c0fd9
resetquest 98b4e
setstage 2c0fd9 10
setstage 98b4e 10 
Haven't tried it myself, your mileage may vary, use at your own risk, etc.

This worked flawlessly! Thank you very much.

staberind posted:

ahhhhh..... Finally got all the powers what a drat grind.

Yeah getting the powers was when I was listening to podcasts while playing.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I had dumped about 2000 lb/kg/stone of resources into a ‘cargo’ module, on the floor, and after I rearranged my ship they just vanished instead of going to the hold.

Going back to an earlier save, I only could pick up about 1.5k. Is items vanishing from lose ship storage a ‘thing’? I just started using the armory and storages chests in my Star Eagle, can things just disappear from there too?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Use a dedicated hauler ship with ~100k total storage, and never have to worry about that kind of bullshit again.

High item counts out in the world as (or in) objects have always felt glitchy as hell to me, even on a planet surface at my girders outpost where i just dump stacks of tens of thousands of them on the ground while crafting then go around picking them all up to condense down to a single stack to drop, which then drops as multiple stacks with inconsistent item quantities? It's really odd.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What the gently caress, TODD

https://i.imgur.com/lUUPOlK.mp4

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^ ahahahaahhaahhaahahaha, dayum, search nexus for "Short temple puzzles"

Remulak posted:

I had dumped about 2000 lb/kg/stone of resources into a ‘cargo’ module, on the floor, and after I rearranged my ship they just vanished instead of going to the hold.

Going back to an earlier save, I only could pick up about 1.5k. Is items vanishing from lose ship storage a ‘thing’? I just started using the armory and storages chests in my Star Eagle, can things just disappear from there too?

what I tend to do on a made homeship is make a container redic big and dump everything in there apart from ship mendy stuff, nowadays i dont even bother linking workbenches to it (you can do that on your ship if you want.) i just pick up all the junk and wander around for a few minutes suping up whatever weapons I need to and then dump it all back into the box

so, ng+'d, as you do, Oh its my fave companion and uh, some of her buddies, what? oh, oh poo poo oh shiiiit arrgh

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 6, 2023

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Has anyone created a mod yet that will make NPCs stop telling me about their corns?

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Eh, I don't think I can be bothered to finish the game really. I'm at the bit where the Starborn first turn up and I seem to be looking at a load of those boring missions where you crawl across a planet, find a temple then do that boring collect the stars game.

Am I missing much if I stop now?

I can see this being a good game in a couple of years once the inevitable expansions roll in and the mods, but yeah it's not grabbing me.

(Still played about 30 hours though).

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

skyelevator posted:

Eh, I don't think I can be bothered to finish the game really. I'm at the bit where the Starborn first turn up and I seem to be looking at a load of those boring missions where you crawl across a planet, find a temple then do that boring collect the stars game.

You can skip all of those, the powers are completely unnecessary for the main quest.
But also the main quest is the weakest part , much like all the other Bethesda games, so no you aren't really missing much.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

lmao

so a spacer ship landed near me while i was resource hunting on a planet. i went up into the docking bay part, up the ramp to kill the last spacer....and as soon as I did the ship tried to take off with me in it

the docking bay door slammed shut and it telefragged me as the ship took off & the physics wonked out

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Inspector Hound posted:

This really did surprise me, especially with how much Sarah hated basically the entire ordeal, I almost expected her to shoot first. Nope, "I will not help you murder these [invincible] people"

To strap on my :tinfoil:, this one really did feel like a blatant case of executive (read: Microsoft) intervention when I did it. It's not just the corporate NPCs being marked essential, it's how the quest's flow doesn't feel right; the early section is scripted as if you're going to be doing some back and forth between the ship and the Paradiso executives, but then at the executives, you have three options and they're all non-negotiable, and at least with the "give them a gravdrive" option you only return to the ship and you don't even need to explain what's going on to the captain first, she just Knows once you roll up for final quest completion and there's no more debate or resistance or negotiation... rather like that got cut out. It feels distinctly like there were quest steps that simply got removed late in the process, after the dialogue was recorded, and there wasn't time or budget to re-record alternate routes and the final quest had to be cobbled together from what recording had been done.

I really suspect "gently caress the CEOs" was an option at one point, given how much all your companions openly hate these motherfuckers, but then some of the c-suites above Bethesda in the current hierarchy said "no, the executives must be Correct, write this quest to make the executives Correct". I mean, there's Bad Bethsoft Writing, and then there's what's going on here, which feels more like an unfinished questline one would encounter in a game from the 90s rather than just "bad writing".

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

SpaceDrake posted:

To strap on my :tinfoil:, this one really did feel like a blatant case of executive (read: Microsoft) intervention when I did it. It's not just the corporate NPCs being marked essential, it's how the quest's flow doesn't feel right; the early section is scripted as if you're going to be doing some back and forth between the ship and the Paradiso executives, but then at the executives, you have three options and they're all non-negotiable, and at least with the "give them a gravdrive" option you only return to the ship and you don't even need to explain what's going on to the captain first, she just Knows once you roll up for final quest completion and there's no more debate or resistance or negotiation... rather like that got cut out. It feels distinctly like there were quest steps that simply got removed late in the process, after the dialogue was recorded, and there wasn't time or budget to re-record alternate routes and the final quest had to be cobbled together from what recording had been done.

I really suspect "gently caress the CEOs" was an option at one point, given how much all your companions openly hate these motherfuckers, but then some of the c-suites above Bethesda in the current hierarchy said "no, the executives must be Correct, write this quest to make the executives Correct". I mean, there's Bad Bethsoft Writing, and then there's what's going on here, which feels more like an unfinished questline one would encounter in a game from the 90s rather than just "bad writing".

Nah, why would they have settled on going to bat for the hotel execs and then left in so many "tech execs are the wooooorst" bits all over basically everything else? Given that the rest of the game is also severely unfinished, I'm pretty sure if there was any executive intervention it was just the classic "stop loving around and get the content in the game so we can release it already".

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I really wish you could put on purely aesthetic ship engines. Sometimes I need to slap on another engine or two to balance out a design visually but I'm at the engine limit. I don't carer about the ship stats man

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

Me, because I dont want to delete 90% of the enemies from the game

Also getting caught for a bounty subtracts XP, and you can go into a deficit and it's SUPER loving EASY to wrack up thousands or even tens of thousands of XP debt. The game REALLY hates "bad" characters, and it's loving weird.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I really wish you could put on purely aesthetic ship engines. Sometimes I need to slap on another engine or two to balance out a design visually but I'm at the engine limit. I don't carer about the ship stats man

This would be so good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I spent an hour searching on my ship (Razorleaf) to see where I supposedly had illegal contraband and finally I found it: one piece of stolen art in the very tiny safe in the corner almost covered up by the cockpit door lol

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The starboard ship is such poo poo. I’m on starborn 3 now and it’s still awful. Give me a star eagle any day.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah microsoft told them to cut out parts of the quest specifically instead of doing goofy poo poo to find out more bugs. The ECS Constant quest has a narrative option of settling on the other side of the planet. Clearly a previous build of the game had a more involved building system and the player probably had the option of building a base on the other side for the colony ship. Hell one of the clearly whittled down companions - Marika Boros - specifically talks about wanting to build a settlement outside both freestar and UC space.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

can't you do that with thruster structural components?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Also getting caught for a bounty subtracts XP, and you can go into a deficit and it's SUPER loving EASY to wrack up thousands or even tens of thousands of XP debt. The game REALLY hates "bad" characters, and it's loving weird.

Lol I did not know about this, just awesome

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
its the best trait though, space combat is pretty easy once you have a bunch of skills, so you just press r and disect their ships, rinse, repeat, leaving the most expensive one till last so you can board it.
its free space real estate.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

There's a mod for that (removing the limit that is).

What's really bullshit is that almost purely-aesthetic structural components weigh a shitload in aggregate, which effectively locks you out of using most of them on a-class or even b-class ships, if you want to maintain reasonable speed and agiity (100/180).

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I punched out Theodore Roosevelt, and helped Genghis Khan become a space pirate.

I like how he talks about DNA. Considering 8% of asian males are descended from him. True pimp.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

sushibandit posted:

There's a mod for that (removing the limit that is).

Sweet didn't realize I'm checking it out now.

Anyone experimented with how far you can increase the ship size limit before it starts clipping through ports/takeoff animations/etc? I've been playing around with small capital ship class c builds and once you start using the cabot bridge everything looks so squished at 80m.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ChocNitty posted:

I punched out Theodore Roosevelt, and helped Genghis Khan become a space pirate.

I like how he talks about DNA. Considering 8% of asian males are descended from him. True pimp.
I think you mean FDR?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone experimented with how far you can increase the ship size limit before it starts clipping through ports/takeoff animations/etc? I've been playing around with small capital ship class c builds and once you start using the cabot bridge everything looks so squished at 80m.

Why would you limit yourself to things that fit

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Azhais posted:

How many ladders does that ship have?

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
its more ladder now than ship, bitter and twisted.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Azhais posted:

we spent so much time preoccupied with whether we could, we didn't stop to think if we should

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've made a bunch of different frankenships, including vertical builds, with edits to custom ini and the cheat engine stuff, just to see what works and does not, essentially, width is a nonissue but too long and your ship gets jammed into stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Gonkish posted:

then by the game's own metrics and the starborn's eternal lust for power it benefits you to be a morally upstanding person and always Do The Right Thing (whatever gives the most XP). drat you Emissary, you were right all along!