Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

drat. He was such a joy to watch at Bama, and there was such buzz around him being even nastier than Tua at the intermediate accuracy aka Brees level

I still have faith in the kid based off nothing but hopium. I just get a real poo poo vibe from the coaching staff reading all the stuff you panthers folks are posting. Just feels like a bad situation.

you're going to see it when they play miami. poo poo is dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Carolina should offer Bobby Slowik a blank check to be HC the first day they can

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Time to just send him to the farm up north out east and let him rehab with Aaron.

I mean if he comes back healthy might as well get the final couple years out of him. Don't extend/renew his contract, obviously.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A grip of Lions are going to be out or slowed on Sunday, fret not Fiz
https://twitter.com/Lions/status/1710380921319293236

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

SKULL.GIF posted:

I mean if he comes back healthy might as well get the final couple years out of him. Don't extend/renew his contract, obviously.

I can't imagine he'll be healthy. A then 33 year old Offensive Lineman after multiple knee surgeries who's missed two of the last three seasons likely will get injured or limited when he comes back. It really sucks - dude is an awesome teammate and player, but just getting old.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BlindSite posted:

I'm already looking at the free agent list for 2024. This team is just hosed at the moment. Reich really needs to let someone else call plays.

What exactly is it that Reich brings to the table?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I knew Stroud would be better than Young. I knew it. I posted it and the Carolina Panthers did not heed my wisdom.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What exactly is it that Reich brings to the table?

He put together a Death Star Coaching Staff that he ignores.

Frank Reich's 2023 Panthers are averaging fewer points than Frank Reichs 1995 Panthers.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

^^^^^

The big selling point in NFL media was the dream team coaching staff he was assembling. Capers, Duce Staley, Evero, noted head coaching candidate Josh McCown.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I like Duce Staley. I totally understand why Duce Staley went to the Panthers in the offseason, and I don’t blame him for doing so.

But Duce Staley deserves better than this. Duce Staley is a cool dude and shouldn’t have to coach bad players on a bad team.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

otoh DeAngelo Hall deserves all of this.

He'll absolutely assault CJ Henderson before the year is over.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Gonz posted:

I like Duce Staley. I totally understand why Duce Staley went to the Panthers in the offseason, and I don’t blame him for doing so.

But Duce Staley deserves better than this. Duce Staley is a cool dude and shouldn’t have to coach bad players on a bad team.

he's no deuce gruden

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

drat. He was such a joy to watch at Bama, and there was such buzz around him being even nastier than Tua at the intermediate accuracy aka Brees level

I still have faith in the kid based off nothing but hopium. I just get a real poo poo vibe from the coaching staff reading all the stuff you panthers folks are posting. Just feels like a bad situation.

Fiz and I don't agree on Young at this point.

I think Young is fine - everywhere. He simply hasn't had any where near the opportunity to really open up. The team's just stuck - completely in 1st gear on offense. Young has looked very sharp in patches and on some drives, there's just nothing around him. There's very rarely anyone shaking coverage, fighting back for a ball, moving in space, the poo poo you expect from guys when they need to "make a play" it's like they're all waiting for someone else to step up. Even last week he lead a near perfect drive to get them to the redzone and had two players drop easy touchdown catches.

The most egregious part of this was when Young got hit way late last week and everyone just stood around. Compared to when herbie got hit late and the bench nearly emptied. It's just an apathetic showing. It's like no one believes they're going to do poo poo so they don't bother. There's been a few deep shots this year where guys have just rounded off routes, not had their head up, terrace Marshall loving stopped on a route when Young had uncorked a dime that would have hit him in stride on two separate occasions. There's been the usual miscommunication too where Youngs hung a ball outside and guys have broken toward the sticks etc. I think part of it is that Chark, Thielen and Marshall didn't string together long stretches in camp but the run game, the offensive line and the play calling has been massively uninspired.

If you took Young right now and put him in the McAdoo offense under Wilks from mid season forward that team probably makes the playoffs. Young is a legit Quarterback and if the Panthers can unfuck themselves he has a really bright future - he's got almost a 70% accuracy rating with this pack of assholes. If he was in San Fran right now it would be a totally different story, but Reich is just dumb as poo poo with his game plan and play calling.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Amy Pole Her posted:

Dude have you seen him drop back? Completely uninspiring.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Edit: not the gdt!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

BlindSite posted:

The most egregious part of this was when Young got hit way late last week and everyone just stood around.

That's a very good point, and someone can correct me on this if I'm misremembering, but I don't even recall seeing any shots of Reich getting upset at the refs for not flagging a blatantly late hit on his rookie QB. If you're not fighting for something that obvious during the game, what are you not doing behind the scenes?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Also since Denver eats the dead cap hit/the bonus money accelerates to this year, isnt it extremely easy/not painful for the 9ers to cut him if he is rear end?

yeah he has two more years on his deal but it's entirely non-guaranteed now afaik

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Dude have you seen him drop back? Completely uninspiring.

I’ve gotta watch a panthers game before Miami plays em.

Good news for him is he’ll have a 2 touchdown day with this defense

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Fiz and I don't agree on Young at this point.

I think Young is fine - everywhere. He simply hasn't had any where near the opportunity to really open up. The team's just stuck - completely in 1st gear on offense. Young has looked very sharp in patches and on some drives, there's just nothing around him. There's very rarely anyone shaking coverage, fighting back for a ball, moving in space, the poo poo you expect from guys when they need to "make a play" it's like they're all waiting for someone else to step up. Even last week he lead a near perfect drive to get them to the redzone and had two players drop easy touchdown catches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-THL9nhj0&t=1701s

Not sure how well regarded this guy is but he is very critical of Bryce, and for his other two starts he defended him, but Bryce had a down bad game against the Vikings. He points out a lot of other flaws with the offense, but this particular play is... woof

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

C-Euro posted:

They know they can sleepwalk through this game and are trying to get healthy for the Bucs next week.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

da bears

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

C-Euro posted:

Is there a rule that prevents a player from participating while in a wheelchair? If there is, does it violate the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

I'm hearing they're back

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Can't believe we're just allowing people to say this now

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e-THL9nhj0&t=1701s

Not sure how well regarded this guy is but he is very critical of Bryce, and for his other two starts he defended him, but Bryce had a down bad game against the Vikings. He points out a lot of other flaws with the offense, but this particular play is... woof

JT was around the league for about ten years and he's usually pretty on the money. It's also somewhat faint praise - there's probably two big plays that he wiffed on in this but theres multiple examples where there's a poo poo play called in a poo poo situation and it stalls a drive. There's a couple plays where there's a guy wide open and 0 protection and then there's a couple plays where there should be a completion but he's gotten a bit yippy because there's been pressure all day.

It all feeds in. You've got slow guys on the perimeter not getting separation:

Horrendous play design he still somehow hits a receiver who just plain drops it

A guy finally gets schemed open and the line leaves a completely free rusher who just churns off the edge and dumps him

There's maybe two or three plays in that whole video where they've made the right call, someone finds some space and there's protection and he hits.

Don't get me wrong - there's spots where Bryce needs to be better, but there's just a much, much lower rate of opportunity right now. He might have been 0 from 2 in this game on the big play opportunities but there's also two dropped touchdowns where they were gimme catches.

You can't expect a guy in his 3rd start to be perfect - I just don't think they're doing anywhere near enough to put him in a position to succeed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The thing about Bryce is he was really good at creating when the play broke down at Bama but NFL defenders are faster and bigger and I just don’t think he can do that at the same level in the NFL. So then you’re left with a guy that’s 5’10, 190lbs, isn’t fast enough to routinely avoid sacks, isn’t big enough to take the hits if he does run, doesn’t have a great arm, doesn’t have a great deep ball…you’ve basically got post surgery Chad Pennington and you gave away the farm for him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I knew Stroud would be better than Young. I knew it. I posted it and the Carolina Panthers did not heed my wisdom.

I knew that Young and Richardson had talent, I knew it. I also guessed that they wouldn't be better than Stroud in the long run because give me a super accurate and ballsy QB who likes to stand in the pocket and throw darts any day. Give Stroud protection and that guy will play for 15 years. I can't say he'd win a SB but you can't win one from the tent either

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The thing about Bryce is he was really good at creating when the play broke down at Bama but NFL defenders are faster and bigger and I just don’t think he can do that at the same level in the NFL. So then you’re left with a guy that’s 5’10, 190lbs, isn’t fast enough to routinely avoid sacks, isn’t big enough to take the hits if he does run, doesn’t have a great arm, doesn’t have a great deep ball…you’ve basically got post surgery Chad Pennington and you gave away the farm for him.

His effort ball during play has been clocked at 60mph, which puts him in the same bracket as Mahomes and a faster ball than Watson and Wentz iirc the average at the combine most years is around 55. He also seems to be fine scrambling around he's got like 6 or 7 first downs with his feet through three games and he had a couple of longer completions off schedule moving around behind the line.

The guy doesn't have a noodle arm, he's got a bigger arm than Tua.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

I'm hearing they're back

that's right, they're back and they are going to win the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BlindSite posted:

His effort ball during play has been clocked at 60mph, which puts him in the same bracket as Mahomes and a faster ball than Watson and Wentz iirc the average at the combine most years is around 55. He also seems to be fine scrambling around he's got like 6 or 7 first downs with his feet through three games and he had a couple of longer completions off schedule moving around behind the line.

The guy doesn't have a noodle arm, he's got a bigger arm than Tua.

Yes on Mahomes, no on Watson. Watson threw 48. How he became good at the position is a total mystery to me but I do feel a lot of it was gently caress it NUK down there somewhere

edit:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kiimo posted:

Yes on Mahomes, no on Watson. Watson threw 48. How he became good at the position is a total mystery to me but I do feel a lot of it was gently caress it NUK down there somewhere

The throwing velocity test is pretty stupid tbh. It doesn’t really give much insight into how natural a thrower a guy is. Baker had good velocity but he needs to put his whole drat body into it, meanwhile guys like Allen or Herbert do it like it’s effortless.

I wasn’t Bryce play a lot in college and his arm is fine but Stroud is a better downfield thrower for sure.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Judging Young after four games for getting destroyed behind a bad oline is as early as judging Stroud for excelling behind a bad oline even though it fits my drum beating for Stroud all draft process nicely

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The throwing velocity test is pretty stupid tbh. It doesn’t really give much insight into how natural a thrower a guy is. Baker had good velocity but he needs to put his whole drat body into it, meanwhile guys like Allen or Herbert do it like it’s effortless.

I wasn’t Bryce play a lot in college and his arm is fine but Stroud is a better downfield thrower for sure.

Yeah we watched Watson put up like 8 TDs and 1 int in back to back title games against a defense full of NFL talent, the velocity test made no sense

I don't get how Stroud is this good though, it makes no sense.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I hadn’t heard this story before, so news to me:

https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1710508939719201048

Goddamn, Shannon.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh yeah, Shannon Sharpe was one of the absolute best at getting inside the other player's head. You could argue that it was a partial factor in the Broncos winning Super Bowl XXXIII.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bryce seems fine honestly - one of the better rookie QBs over the last few years.

He's just being unfairly compared to Stroud who is basically having the best rookie QB start ever. If you take that away you'd have a perfectly solid #1 overall pick who flashes potential.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

BlindSite posted:

JT was around the league for about ten years and he's usually pretty on the money.

it's so funny to me that Just Touchdowns O'Sullivan is a respected football content creator now

how things change

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
i mean it's not that weird right, like those career backups are the guys who end up going into coaching too. it's a pretty well-trodden path

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Chase Daniel has recently started getting into the game as well. Has a YouTube channel and does a podcast on the Athletic. I don’t think he’s as good as JT, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
See also: Dan Orlovsky, he of the most famous gently caress up of the 2008 Detroit Lions I still maintain that he was the best QB of the Matt Millen Lions, a bar so low that it's practically a speed bump.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.