Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sorry to interupt Cope-talk but DEADLOCK reminded me this clip existed and I need to share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xCFyVfQ62U

Watching back I forgot how much I HATED Hogan and Undertaker at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DIGGING INTO THE LUCHA UNDERGROUND PART 3

Before I move on to season 2, there’s an incident at the end of the first season that I forgot to mention. One that’s amusing, but also kind of important down the line. It’s Hernandez’s phantom TNA run.

Hernandez was on the Lucha Underground roster for the first season, last seen with a big loss to Drago during Ultima Lucha. Hernandez asked for his release and Lucha Underground gave him the thumbs up. He would not return for the next season. Instead, he signed with TNA.

Now, in the mid-2010s, TNA was one gigantic comedy of errors. TNA always had problems, but it seemed like they couldn’t go a week without doing something incredibly stupid or unlucky. All the while, it was genuinely shocking that they did not go under as wrestling fans were awaiting that other shoe to drop. The Hernandez situation was just one of many screw-ups.

TNA taped a bunch of shows in advance. Hernandez was brought in and was featured in a bunch of shows. Then they discovered that he legally was not allowed to be on TV. See, Lucha Underground’s agreement was that Hernandez could wrestle pretty much anywhere, as long as it wasn’t televised until after Ultima Lucha aired. That meant that all of his TNA appearances could not be used. He was in a stable too! Him being at ringside became toxic. An entire battle royal was made useless. It was such a blunder.

So remember this story for later.

Season 2 started airing on January 27, 2016 and lasted 26 episodes. The last season had Dario Cueto abandon the Temple. The dominant stable was Mil Muertes, his ghost girlfriend, and their skeleton henchmen. For the first nine episodes, the Temple was run by Catrina. It was a change of pace, but she lacked the charisma of Luis Fernandez-Gil’s diabolical promoter.

What did make this status quo awesome was that Lucha Underground Champion Mil Muertes was treated like motherfucking Shao Kahn. While the matches were going on, Muertes sat above it all, watching intently on a throne covered in human skulls. It was metal as gently caress.

Early on, they played up a three-way feud between him, Prince Puma, and violent wildcard Pentagon Jr. In the first episode, right after Mil Muertes successfully defended against Ivelisse, Pentagon jumped him and snapped Muertes' arm. Muertes spent the next few episodes sitting on the throne with his arm in a sling until we got a main event match of Puma vs. Penta. There, Muertes finally stood up, advanced to the ring, and tore the sling off, revealing he was at 100% health.

Something I should note about the show was that the showrunners wanted Lucha Underground to eventually be a big multimedia thing. They wanted video games and even a movie down the line. That ended up being an empty promise for the most part because the merch was near nonexistent. People would have loved to support the company by buying official t-shirts, but they really only had stuff featuring the show’s logo. How were they supposed to make money and support the budget if they weren’t giving fans a chance to hand them money?

That’s really why I had no problem just buying the seasons on iTunes when they would come out.

One thing they did have was comic books. Well, free online comics, but still comics. These were one-shots that dealt with Rey Mysterio being drawn to the Temple, Pentagon Jr. meeting a disguised Vampiro, and so on. There were two things of note here.

First, the Mil Muertes issue showed that his henchmen had attacked and killed Big Ryck in-between seasons. That’s why he was no longer on the show. To add to that, one of the skulls on Muertes’ throne was Ryck’s! Hell of a way to write a character off.

The comic also gave us our first real look at Matanza Cueto, the mysterious brother of Dario that they built up throughout the first season. His backstory was bonkers, but the big part was that he was possessed by an Aztec god and his soul was kept in the cage key that Dario kept around his neck. We would finally get to see him a week after the issue was released.

Of course, that had people wondering: just who would portray Matanza? They built him up like crazy and it needed to pay off. It had to be somebody who could pull off the unstoppable monster role without being too familiar to the public.

In the eighth episode, Fenix cashed in the Gift of the Gods Championship and defeated Mil Muertes, becoming the main champion. Catrina was pissed off about this and declared that the Lucha Underground Championship would be up for grabs in the following week’s Aztec Warfare II. To add to that, Pentagon Jr. would not be allowed to be in the match, Fenix would enter at #1, and Mil Muertes would enter at #20.

As this was going on, Dario had decided that it was time to return to the Temple.

Aztec Warfare II was a hell of a match. When Muertes showed up at #20, Penta jumped him with a chair and went to town on him, allowing Puma and Mysterio to pin him in the aftermath. Catrina was beside herself, but it wasn’t over. Dario made his grand return, claiming he was reclaiming the Temple. More than that, he was announcing a surprise 21st entrant: Matanza.

Out walked Jeff Cobb, a former Olympian representing Guam who was deemed too bland for WWE to care. While he wasn’t especially tall (despite that comic cover I posted), he was especially thick and frighteningly strong. As Matanza, he strongly resembled Rick from Splatterhouse, wearing blood-soaked coveralls and wearing a mask that did little to hide his insane glare.

There were nine other men involved in the match at the time and Matanza destroyed them all. It was one of the sickest debuts in wrestling history. He reminded me of Onslaught from Marvel vs. Capcom, where every one of his regular attacks was a super attack. With his strength and agility, he pinned them one after another. His main finish was the Wrath of the Gods, a powerslam with reverse momentum (as Cobb, it's called the Tour of the Islands). After finishing off Rey Mysterio, Matanza was crowned champion.

An anecdote that always stuck by me was that days after that episode aired, they were doing some tapings and a fan had a sign that was a big drawing of Matanza. In a segment that was not being filmed, Dario was leading Matanza to the ring and Matanza noticed the sign. He remained in character, drawn to it, confused at what he was really looking at until Dario finally pulled him away. I don’t know, I always thought that was a cool bit.

Season 2 introduced a lot of new names and some notable developments, but I’ll save that for the next entry. One thing for sure was that for Ultima Lucha Dos, they were building towards a main event match that was maybe a little too big.

A great pitfall when putting together a wrestling show is to book a match where neither side can afford to lose and, sadly, that’s exactly what Lucha Underground would go and do.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jeff Cobb's non-verbal work as Matanza was always really good. When he first gets the belt he's looking at it like he has never seen something like that before.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I would only sporadically be able to watch Lucha Underground as it aired, so I didn't really keep up with the overarching storyline or anything like that.

My mind was blown when, years later, I saw Cobb on AEW and ended up looking him up, only to discover that he was THE MONSTER MATANZA. It was almost as shocking as discovering that Swerve Strickland was freaking Killshot.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

How could Matanza ever live up to the hype, it's just some nobody, he isn't even that big---
https://i.imgur.com/JBwXYsM.mp4
:dogstare: :allears:

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Cubone posted:

man they really went right up to the line of what they could bring over of the Edge character without provoking WWE's attorneys

they should call him Hedge but never write it down and only ever have a british guy say it

Go full ridiculous and call him "The Grade A Prodigy" Brink. Pronounce prodigy as "praa-duh-jay" to keep the rhyming scheme too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
He actually trademarked "Ledgend" (I presume it's just for a silly t-shirt)

Also, "Cope"

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/adam-copeland-files-several-trademarks-on-day-of-aew-debut

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Jeff Cobb is terrifyingly strong and I love him

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

It’s been fun to watch Cobb develop a personality over the last couple years in New Japan. He’s turned into kinda of a fun loving smart rear end that can also just throw you 200 feet in the air with no effort.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Kennel posted:

He actually trademarked "Ledgend" (I presume it's just for a silly t-shirt)

Also, "Cope"

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/adam-copeland-files-several-trademarks-on-day-of-aew-debut

It says WWE still owns the trademark on "Edge", but not "Edge & Christian". That would be hilarious if he could call himself Edge but only if they got back together and were talking about the tag team as a whole.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I am Edgeandchristian and I'm here to kick your rear end!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Change that to "edgingchristian" and at the end of the match you can EXPLODE on your opponents.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

cowards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Idiot nerd brain free association turned to Saxton Hale and you know what, the TF2 cast almost write themselves for their wrestling gimmicks.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lolling at Conquistador Uno

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1709256520880308661

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Idiot nerd brain free association turned to Saxton Hale and you know what, the TF2 cast almost write themselves for their wrestling gimmicks.

Nick Wayne horrified at photos of his mom loving Christian Cage while Paul Wight and Jon Moxley chuckle in the background.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DIGGING INTO THE LUCHA UNDERGROUND PART 4

With the Disciples of Death going into the second season as trios champions, the Unlikely Trio of Son of Havoc, Ivelisse, and Angelico did eventually win the titles back. Sadly, it was a short-lived victory as Angelico legitimately hosed up his leg and they had to vacate.

What’s crazier is the follow-up with the Disciples of Death. Mil Muertes was not happy with their failure, so he murdered two of his skeleton goons and used their souls to power up the other one. So El Siniestro de la Muerte became his super henchman for a while. Not that he did anything all that notable.

Anyway, here are some new wrestlers to pop up in season 2.

El Dragon Azteca Jr.: Making a cameo at the end of the first season is Rey Horus as El Dragon Azteca Jr. Immensely talented in the ring, he came off as the Player 2 version of Prince Puma. He also felt like a better character, since he had more personality and was more attached to the overall story of the show.

At some point, they realized how Puma was being left in the dust as the generic, silent protagonist so they had him agree to team up with Dragon Azteca and Rey Mysterio to eventually gain the trios titles. Puma revealed himself as the third man by actually talking, which made it all seem like a big, dramatic moment.

Worldwide Underground: With Johnny Mundo as a heel, he needed something to help him stand out among all the supernatural monster men. He ended up with a stable that included loudmouth rear end in a top hat Jack Evans, “The Darewolf” PJ Black (Justin Gabriel from WWE), and Johnny's then-girlfriend/now-wife Taya.

Taya made for a great asset for not only Mundo but Lucha Underground itself. At one point, as a heel, she had a hardcore match against Brian Cage, who was a face at the time. Despite the brutality of Cage annihilating Taya, it never felt weird or problematic. Unlike Angelico/Ivelisse from the first season, this felt like intergender wrestling done right.

Famous B: Technically, Famous B was around in the first season, but he was a forgettable and generic black dude with no gimmick whatsoever. In season 2, they started airing these low-budget commercials where Famous B came off as a cross between a wrestling manager and a used car salesman. He would tell viewers to dial his hotline 423-GET-FAME and he would try to get them famous.

Famous B was so awesome.

Kobra Moon and Daga: Here’s one of my low-key favorite story payoffs throughout the show. Kobra Moon (now in AEW as Thunder Rosa) was this seductive and mysterious snake woman who led the Reptile Tribe. Unfortunately, while Thunder Rosa is great nowadays, she was arguably the worst major wrestler on Lucha Underground.

Daga was a hard-hitting Mexican wrestler with a pretty basic wrestler look and no real gimmick. He just ruled in the ring and came off as a ruthless heel.

Kobra Moon started to show a special interest in Daga. She was making these passes at him. At one point she had a four-way match won and slithered away from her downed opponent and out of the ring while making eye contact with Daga, as if offering the victory (and herself) to him. She came off as ominous and like a succubus with the strong possibility that she was setting Daga up for something sinister and he knew it, but he was also thinking, “drat, maybe!” There was a time when he won an Aztec medallion in order to compete for the Gift of the Gods Championship and you could see that it had the image of a snake on it and he was staring at it, pondering.

Jumping to the third season for a second, Daga was nowhere to be seen and there was no mention of him. We were left to think that, yep, Kobra Moon was absolutely messing with him, and he met some kind of grisly fate. Season three dealt with Kobra Moon’s Reptile Tribe stable and in the season three finale’s ending montage, we got to see one of the members being sacrificed... by Daga, as his first act of becoming Kobra Moon's king.

Joey Ryan: With Dario Cueto being a fictional evil mastermind, they had more leeway with him and they had a very original subplot idea that you would never see on another wrestling show. Considering Dario was well-connected and up to no good and has been involved in several crimes that we are aware of, including multiple counts of murder, it stands to reason that the authorities are PROBABLY interested in what he has going on.

And so, season 2 revealed that not only is there a police chief investigating Dario, but Cortez Castro from the Crew has been an undercover cop this whole time! What a way to add a new coat of paint to an otherwise forgettable character.

Not only was Cortez an undercover cop, but he would have help. Joey Ryan was brought in as his partner and would also compete in the Temple. Joey was played as the sleazy, corrupt cop who Cortez absolutely could not trust. What made this cool was that the fans in attendance would see these two cross paths in matches and would have zero idea of the context or deeper meaning until they watched the episodes on TV and saw the scenes at the police precinct. It also suggested that Joey Ryan's other wrestling appearances throughout the years were other undercover operations.

What wasn’t cool was that, well, this was Joey Ryan and he's a total scumbag piece of poo poo. The dude was the poster boy for Speaking Out, but I’ll discuss that another time.

Mariposa Martinez: When Marty the Moth kidnapped Sexy Star at the end of the first season, he hinted at the existence of his even more sadistic sister. That ended up being the masked Mariposa, played by Cheerleader Melissa. This led to probably my favorite character moment from Lucha Underground.

You can’t really do much with a kidnapping storyline in wrestling by design. What they did was claim that the Martinez siblings tormented Sexy Star for a time and then let her go. They knew she would likely return to the Temple and they followed. From there, Star was traumatized and would seize up whenever they would appear to terrorize her.

Dario Cueto hated Sexy Star and never wanted her in the Temple to begin with, but even he was taken aback by this behavior. He brought her to his office and started telling her about how he and his brother were abused by their mother when they were young. Then, having had enough, Dario said, “No mas,” and beat her to death with the same red bull statue that he would always display on his desk. That awoke his thirst for violence and made him the man he was. Dario wanted Sexy Star to stand up for herself and suggested a “No Mas” match between Sexy Star and Mariposa where you could only win by beating your opponent so badly that they say, “No mas!”

Was Dario genuinely concerned for his enemy due to a shared trauma or was he trying to manipulate someone into a kickass and vicious wrestling match? It’s hard to say. But it worked and it was awesome.

There was a part where Sexy Star was all bloody and seemingly beaten, but when the ref asked if she had anything to say, she screamed, “gently caress YOUUUUU!” and eventually won the match. Fantastic.

Night Claw: This guy is in no way important. It’s just really weird that they had this Thundercat-looking dude show up for a seven-way match at Ultima Lucha Dos and then we never heard from him ever again.

So anyway, what’s been going on with Pentagon Jr., now that he’s this interesting antihero that everyone’s crazy about? The week after Matanza debuted and won the Lucha Underground Championship via Aztec Warfare, Penta threatened to break Dario’s arm unless he got a title match. Under duress, Dario granted the match.

Then Matanza absolutely hosed Penta up. Straight-up Bane vs. Batman, including Matanza breaking Penta’s back.

As Matanza spent the rest of the season going through Fenix, Mil Muertes, and Cage, Vampiro rebuilt Penta from the ground up. Healed up from his debilitating back injury, Penta returned to win a series of matches to earn him a title shot at Ultima Lucha Dos. The bigger one was a six-way elimination match called Six to Survive that lasted an entire episode, where he outlasted Fenix, Ivelisse, Johnny Mundo, King Cuerno, and Taya.

Vampiro had Penta go full mystical vision quest in the lead-up to Ultima Lucha Dos, which unlocked his new, more powerful form Pentagon Dark. And so, the main event of the finale was promoted as Matanza Cueto vs. Pentagon Dark. The show was definitely building towards Penta to become the ace of the promotion, but Matanza was still incredibly fresh as an unbeatable threat. Having Penta lose would feel like a letdown and having Matanza lose would feel too abrupt, as his title reign still had gas in the tank.

This time around, Ultima Lucha was three episodes long, totaling four hours. On the final night, there was a match of El Dragon Azteca Jr. vs. Black Lotus, which made sense because of the whole murdering of the original Dragon Azteca in the previous season. As the match went on, Pentagon Dark showed up, beat down both of them, broke both of their arms, and demanded to do his match with Matanza IMMEDIATELY.

Despite the way Matanza had been portrayed up to this point, Pentagon Dark was treated as such a powered up form that HE was the dominant monster and Matanza was bouncing around like he was getting his rear end kicked by someone twice his size. In the end, Dario got involved and some interference from Vampiro backfired, so Matanza still won, but it was the first time he really seemed like he was on the ropes.

Afterwards, as Penta angrily left Vampiro, Vampiro returned to the commentary desk and dejectedly took his meds.

Since the big title match happened in an impromptu fashion, the actual main event was Mysterio defeating Prince Puma. It was as good as you’d expect from those two.

Once that was over, Pentagon attacked Vampiro and hosed him up in the middle of the ring before cutting a promo about how he was the master and no longer needed any help. There was no ending montage for season 2, but we did get a scene of Dario Cueto being taken away by the police and smirking at us from the back of a police van.

On July 20, 2016, Lucha Underground’s second season came to an end and it was just as fantastic as the first. This time there was more optimism because we knew that they were already filming the third season at this point. Hell, it was going to debut in less than two months and go a whole forty episodes! On top of that, Netflix was going to start carrying the first two seasons of the show. Pretty loving cool.

Too bad season 3 was going to be when the cracks would really start to show, including a full-on chasm. Still, it would give us some great TV in the meantime, including possibly the most bonkers match in the show’s history.

Season 3 would also include the death of the Renegade, but I’m not talking about that fake Ultimate Warrior!

Gavok fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 5, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://kotaku.com/wwe-randy-orton-elden-ring-runes-pay-level-up-difficult-1850900520

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

:pathetic:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I called Famous B. I can't remember what the recording said.

edit: But I did just randomly remember that when I went to a Lucha Underground taping, I desperately wanted to get any merch I could since it was apparent in season 4 that the show's days were numbered. Mister Pectacular is cool and all, but not very... Lucha. Anyway, the only thing they had left was socks. So. I have some Lucha Underground socks.

I was also gifted some Hacksaw Jim Duggan socks. So. Got those. Just in case.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 6, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/qjgQJa0.gifv

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DIGGING INTO THE LUCHA UNDERGROUND PART 5

Lucha Underground season 3 finished filming June 26, 2016. The premiere aired September 7. By filming it back-to-back with the second season, it added some consistency to the roster. Other than that dude in the awesome panther mask and Daga’s temporary disappearance, the roster didn’t suffer any abrupt losses. No comic book explanations for why somebody was suddenly missing.

Season 3 started with Dario being released from prison with a cameo from the Honky Tonk Man as the guy giving him his belongings. This was the point in the story where we started to see the bigger parts of the conspiracy that Dario was only a cog of. That included three guys giving him orders: comedian Godfrey as FBI Agent Winter, Lorenzo Lamas as Councilman Delgado, and a mysterious, cigar-smoking mastermind Dario would occasionally meet in the darkness of a limo. It was very apparent that whoever this man in the limo was, he was the big bad of the entire show.

As for the police officers dedicated to taking Dario down, Joey Ryan outright narc’d to Dario for the sake of getting money to pay his child support. Dario now knew that Cortez Castro was an undercover cop. Without showing his hand, Dario acted all friendly to Cortez while destroying him. Like, “Hey, Cortez! How about a match against Pentagon Dark tonight? Oh, he just broke your arm? Well, that’s too bad. Hey, you know what might cheer you up? Competing for the title against my brother Matanza! Oof! Better luck next time!”

Captain Vasquez figured that Cortez was made, so she had him go re-undercover by having him wear a mask and compete as the spider-based Veneno. Considering at the time, Sexy Star was being anonymously stalked by somebody with a love for spiders, this did NOT work out for him.

Now, Captain Vasquez? I haven’t really talked about her at all. Up to this point, she was at most a throwaway authority figure who wanted Dario brought to justice. Then in season 3, they went deeper into it. We had seen earlier that Aerostar was a time-traveler of some sort and he dealt with some little Aztec girl centuries ago. They elaborated more on it and showed that the tribe’s dying elder gave the girl this special pendant that could grant women immortality, with orders to please stop the gods from destroying the world in the future.

Cut to the present, where Vasquez has half of the pendant. The other half belongs to her daughter Catrina (dun dun DUN!), as it allows her to sort of exist in the living world despite being a ghost.

Yeah, that’s a lot. It doesn’t pay off very well, unfortunately.

So what new guys do we get in season 3?

Jeremiah Crane: Indie wrestler Sami Callihan (and NXT failure Solomon Crowe) showed up as Ivelisse’s new boyfriend, who ended up becoming a wrestler. While things seemed nice enough in the beginning, Jeremiah later revealed to us that his heart belongs to another. Since his younger days messing with a Ouija board and contacting the great beyond, he had been obsessed with Catrina. Catrina was not very interested.

Completely unreleated to this, strangely enough, the premiere of season 3 had Ivelisse challenge Catrina to a match at Ultima Lucha Tres despite the season just starting. This was a unique development because 1) despite wrestling in WWE, Catrina had never had a match in Lucha Underground up to this point, and 2) Ivelisse would gently caress up her ankle early in the season. I forgot if the setup for this was added after the fact to make up for how Ivelisse would be gone for months.

Dante Fox: Shortly after Killshot regained his stolen dog tags from Marty the Moth in an entertaining Weapons of Mass Destruction Match (where there was a military motif ringside and Marty was wearing a soldier helmet), AR Fox started appearing on the show as Dante Fox. Fox served with Killshot and was somebody he left for dead during a mission, which caused Killshot tremendous guilt. Killshot was awkwardly happy to see his old friend, but Fox was narrowing his eyes at him from behind a lot until finally making his move.

Ricky Mandel: When they released the trailer for season 3, there was a rather bizarre shot of Worldwide Underground together where there appeared to be two Johnny Mundos! It was really Ricky Mandel, who had earlier portrayed one of Mil Muertes’ skeleton henchmen. Now he was Ricky, the biggest Johnny Mundo fanboy and the runt of Worldwide Underground. Ricky didn't get to do much in the third season, but season four was going to be his time to shine.

The Reptile Tribe: They heavily expanded on the whole Kobra Moon thing and connected the dots on Drago being a reptilian luchador by claiming that he left the Reptile Tribe centuries ago. Kobra Moon ended up capturing and brainwashing him down the line, making him part of the team. She introduced Pindar, another dude in a kickass scale mask, but he was mediocre at best.

The real story here was when a very tall dude in a snake mask showed up to start wrecking poo poo. While his name would turn out to be Vibora, the fans didn’t know this at the time and started chanting up their own off-the-cuff nickname for him: “LUCHASAURUS!”

And that’s how that happened.

The Rabbit Tribe: On the lighter side of things, we got the Rabbit Tribe, made up of Paul London, Mala Suerte, and Saltador. The latter two were more Lucha Underground dudes who played random henchman wrestlers who were no longer being used (Mr. Cisco of the Crew and El Siniestro de la Muerte respectively), but Paul London is kind of a major name. While he had an overlooked run in WWE, he was a beloved high-flier elsewhere. Here he was a codpiece-wearing Mad Hatter in a stable of cartoon lunatics.

There’s this trope in wrestling where someone like Rob Van Dam or Matt Riddle could be into weed or whatever and they can HINT it on TV, but never be outright about it. Not on Lucha Underground. Matt Striker was very candid that these three dudes were on all of the drugs all of the time. It was part of their Alice in Wonderland charm.

A regular on Lucha Underground I haven’t talked about is mini luchador Mascarita Sagrada. Upon seeing this little, jumpy guy dressed in white, the Rabbit Tribe bowed to him, insisting that he was their god, the White Rabbit. Sagrada was very adamant that they had it all wrong.

Speaking of Sagrada, there was a brief period where he was buddies with Son of Havoc. This led to a truly wonderful segment where they were watching TV on a couch together in full costume while Son of Havoc’s mother Mrs. Havoc served them Bagel Bites. Ah, blatant product placement.

The Black Lotus Triad: At the end of the previous season, Pentagon Dark interrupted Black Lotus vs. El Dragon Azteca Jr. to lay them both out and break their arms. Black Lotus was not happy with that and brought in her crew to jump Pentagon at one point. In one episode, Pentagon was forced to take on Black Lotus’ three female lieutenants in three consecutive matches: Doku (Kairi Sane), Yurei (Mayu Iwatani), and Hitokiri (Iyo Sky). It was loving awesome and lasted the entire episode. Once the gauntlet was over and Pentagon was defeated and exhausted, Black Lotus showed up to break his arm. Then El Dragon Azteca Jr. appeared to break the other one while he and Black Lotus had an uneasy cease fire.

So anyway, the title situation. After Matanza got past Pentagon Dark at the previous Ultima Lucha, Dario got a bit cocky. He started going the gameshow route by spinning a wheel with random names on it, just to see who gets a title shot. It gave us fun matches of Matanza taking on popular midcarders like Son of Havoc and the Mack. He even took out Prince Puma, but I’ll go more into that next time.

As this was going on, Sexy Star was the Gift of the Gods Champion. Instead of allowing her to cash it in and get a match against Matanza, she was constantly being challenged by the guys from Worldwide Underground. Eventually, Johnny Mundo beat her for the title, meaning he was aiming for a title shot against Matanza. On one hand, he was smart enough to wait until after Aztec Warfare 3. On the other hand, he flat out told this to Dario.

So Dario made sure that Aztec Warfare 3 (once again for the Lucha Underground Championship) would have Matanza at #1 and Mundo at #2. Dario’s pride got the best of him as Matanza ended up eating some team-up finisher spam before getting pinned by Mysterio late in the match. In the end, Sexy Star pinned Mil Muertes to become the new Lucha Underground Champion.

Then Mundo cashed in his Gift of the Gods belt and beat her a week later. Then he beat her again in a steel cage rematch about a month later.

As it turned out, Sexy Star wasn’t even supposed to win that match. Originally, that spot was going to go to Ivelisse, but her injury caused them to change things around.

Afterwards, Dario started up another tournament, this one called the Battle of the Bulls, where the winner would get a big title shot. The Mack won that one, but it would have to wait.

Otherwise, the biggest development for the first half of the season was “The Ultimate Opportunity” where Brian Cage and Texano would face each other in a Best of 5 series in order to get some kind of special prize. Cage was the winner and his prize was a gauntlet.

Not just any gauntlet, though. It was the Gauntlet of the Gods! It was home to the soul of an Aztec god and was given to Dario to find a worthy vessel. At first, Cage thought it was a dumb prize, but upon wearing it, he admitted that it was growing on him.

The 19th episode ended with a Death Match between Matanza and El Dragon Azteca Jr. Matanza won the match pretty decisively, but was more interested in getting his hands on Mysterio. Mysterio showed up and hurricanrana’d Matanza through a roof and sent him falling a couple stories. Dario, beside himself, told everyone to get the hell out and screamed that the Temple was closed.

Retroactively, the people behind the show decided that this was going to be the mid-season finale and they were going to go on a hiatus. Maybe they needed extra time to edit stuff and add special effects, but they were going to take off for four and a half months. It wasn’t exactly a gripping cliffhanger either as the big return match was going to be an Iron Man Match between Johnny Mundo and the Mack. Not the best carrot at the end of the stick.

What’s worse was how this pissed off the talent. At the time, the most outspoken was Prince Puma/Ricochet. Spoiler alert, but season 3 was supposed to write him out of the show completely. He had made an agreement to part ways with Lucha Underground. He was going to sign with WWE. Problem was, he legally couldn’t do that until his last appearance was broadcast and thanks to the hiatus, that wasn’t going to happen until October 18, 2017.

That was SIXTEEN MONTHS after he filmed his last show and he had to play the waiting game. Suffice to say, Prince Puma’s frustrations were the tip of the iceberg.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Gravok if you ever want an av change or something hit me up because these writeups are absolutely fantastic

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DIGGING INTO THE LUCHA UNDERGROUND PART 6

Lucha Underground season 3 continued with its 20th episode on May 31, 2017. After all that wait, we got a Johnny Mundo vs. Mack Iron Man Match for the championship that ended in a draw. A week later, Mundo won the tie-breaking Falls Count Anywhere rematch. Not that anyone really expected them to pull the trigger on Mack anyway.

Luckily, the show’s return did give us one of its most delightfully bonkers moments. I mentioned last time that Brian Cage won a series of matches where his reward was the Gauntlet of the Gods, which was supposed to turn him into a host body for an Aztec God. While Cage became more aggressive and addicted to wearing the gauntlet, he still remained himself and was unknowingly resisting the possession. Dario was confused over this, wondering if maybe he literally wasn’t human after all (sadly, the only time anyone paid his "I'm a machine!" catchphrase any lip service).

Councilman Delgado (again, played by TV’s The Renegade) had Cage meet him in his office. As the two made conversation, Delgado started talking about Cage’s importance in the big evil conspiracy. Cage didn’t know what he was talking about and claimed he didn’t work for anyone. He ended up losing control of his anger and EXPLODED DELGADO’S HEAD WITH A PUNCH FROM THE GAUNTLET! Cage just stood there with brains all over the gauntlet before walking out of the office and stepping on a loose eyeball left on the floor.

This loving show.

Sad to say, most of the latter half of the season is kind of rough. Mainly because after just doing a big tournament to crown a #1 contender, the final months is dedicated to... doing a bigger tournament to crown a #1 contender. It’s time for the Cueto Cup, a 32-person tournament that takes place over eleven goddamn episodes. And hey, I’m a guy who enjoys tournaments, but there is a major issue in this one. The whole point is to lead up to Ultima Lucha Tres and build all these different matches and storylines out of it, so despite Lucha Underground usually being really good about decisive victories, so much of the tournament is based around iffy wins and losses with so many run-ins.

Don’t want to have Brian Cage advance? Just have him punch the referee with his gauntlet because he refuses to take it off before the fight! Sadly, no brain splatter this time.

The road to the finals was based around the redemptions of Prince Puma and Pentagon Dark. This was more explicit with Prince Puma, who had been doing kind of rough since the end of the first season. Konnan was killed, he lost the title, he lost the main events of both Ultima Luchas, and he couldn’t beat Matanza when he got another title shot. Vampiro came to him in the locker room and started giving him advice. Puma figured Vampiro just wanted to build him up so he could get revenge on Pentagon for him, but Vampiro rebuffed it.

Vampiro wanted Puma to take down Mil Muertes, since that’s where his problems started. Mil Muertes won a Casket Match, but that only caused Puma to get resurrected by Vampiro as a darker, edgier version of his previous self. So Puma beat Mil in a Boyle Heights Street Fight to show he got his mojo back. Then he steamrolled his way to the finals by beating Ricky Mandel, PJ Black, Dante Fox, and Fenix.

As for Pentagon, he went from nearly hitting the top and dethroning Matanza to eating poo poo for the first half of the season and getting his arms broken. He returned and made the finals by defeating Argenis, Drago, Texano, and Mil Muertes.

In the end, Puma defeated Pentagon. The big main event of Ultima Lucha Tres would be Prince Puma challenging for the Lucha Underground Championship against Johnny Mundo where if Puma failed, he would be hitting the bricks for good.

In the lead-up to Ultima Lucha Tres, one shocking development was that they did Matanza vs. Rey Mysterio, which was Mysterio’s last match for the company. Matanza won by hitting the Wrath of the Gods onto a chair and then carried Mysterio’s lifeless carcass backstage. This was partially to build up Matanza vs. Dragon Azteca Jr. in a Cage Match at Ultima Lucha, which Matanza also won.

They were going full ham on Ultima Lucha Tres by making it FOUR shows at a total of five hours. It started with a huge bang in the form of Dante Fox vs. Killshot in “Hell of War.” It was a two-out-of-three falls bout where the first match was First Blood, second match was No DQ, and third was Medical Evac (Ambulance Match). These two guys MESSED EACH OTHER UP. This was just the most insanely ridiculous match in the show’s history. The Hell these two put each other through was bonkers, including doing flippy poo poo through panes of glass with bloody chunks of flesh left in the ring. Killshot came out the winner, which I guess killed their beef somehow.

Years later, with Swerve Strickland in AEW, once AR Fox signed with the company, it did not take them long to put the two of them in a match together just to get people hype about the two of them running it back. It was far less violent this time around.

Killshot and Fox weren’t done with the season quite yet, though. The Mack won a battle royal to get an Ultimate Opportunity and that prize was teaming up with Killshot and Fox against the trios champions Drago, Pindar, and Vibora. Mack and what was left of the shredded soldiers won the belts.

Otherwise, Ivelisse got her win over Catrina, Sexy Star came out on top of her Worldwide Underground feud by defeating Taya, Pentagon Dark defeated Son of Havoc to become the new Gift of the Gods Champion, and Mil Muertes defeated Cage and Jeremiah Crane over ownership of the Gauntlet of the Gods only to have it stolen away by King Cuerno (who was missing the entire season).

Going into the show, you’d think that Johnny Mundo would retain against Prince Puma, since it was pretty well known that Puma/Ricochet was waiting for the episode to air so he could finally wash his hands of the company. Shockingly, Puma won! He was champ again, ending their long-running rivalry!

Then Dario stepped out to explain that the show wasn’t over. Pentagon Dark was going to cash in his Gift of the Gods Championship for an impromptu match. This was kind of annoying because the entire point of that belt is that you can’t just show up and do that. You had to announce it at least a week in advance. At least Dario made it make sense by saying that whoever lost would have to leave the Temple forever.

On paper, it wasn’t really the best way to make Pentagon and coronate him, but the crowd loved watching him snap Puma’s arms and defeat him. Once Puma lost, the crowd sang "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." Weirdly, Vampiro looked on with a smirk. He was happy to see this go down for some reason.

Cue the end of season montage. Puma discarded his mask and walked out the building. King Cuerno kept the Gauntlet of the Gods in his home as a trophy. Matanza was keeping Rey Mysterio in his jail cell. Daga decapitated Pindar. Sexy Star was given what seemed like a gift from a young fan, only to open it up and find a spider, showing that she was still being stalked by someone out to get her.

This would be the last time we would see Sexy Star. While the second half of the season was airing, Sexy Star became a toxic name due to a four-way match at AAA where two of her opponents had stiffed her and she decided to take out her frustrations on the one who wasn’t stiffing her, Rosemary. She intentionally messed up Rosemary’s arm, and nobody wanted anything to do with her afterwards. Lucha Underground memory-holed her.

Vampiro spoke to a higher power about how he set things up so that Puma was gone forever and Pentagon had ascended. This higher power told him he did well and that soon Pentagon would be torn apart.

The Rabbit Tribe was still accosting Mascarita Sagrada and he was all, “Guys, for the last time, I’m not the White Rabbit! But still, I know the White Rabbit and I can take you to him. Follow me!”

In the final scene, Dario Cueto hung out in his office with Agent Winter. Dario was hoping he could get the gauntlet back in their hands, but Winter told him not to worry about it... as Dario would be dead. Winter shot Dario in the stomach and casually walked out. With the last of his strength, Dario picked up the phone, called someone, weakly said, “Papa...” and keeled over. The man on the other end of the phone was frantic. To be continued.

And another season was in the bag. It had a lot of issues, but it was still head and shoulders above what WWE and TNA were giving us at the time.

The good news was that less than a month later, Lucha Underground released a teaser trailer of Johnny Mundo claiming that he was going to take back the title by formally announcing Lucha Underground’s fourth season.

Then bad news followed.

When a lot of the wrestlers signed with Lucha Underground years earlier, they signed for several seasons. They would film matches in a cluster of a couple months and then weren’t needed again until the next season was ready. They could compete in the indies, but they couldn’t wrestle on TV in any fashion while under contract. The landscape of wrestling had changed a lot since then and certain wrestlers were pissed off that they were essentially trapped. They wanted out!

On top of that, the people who funded the second and third seasons pulled out their money. El Rey would be funding the fourth season and it was going to be a lot cheaper. This also meant a different location, meaning a new Temple.

The people behind the show understood the frustrations with wrestlers who didn’t want to return and granted their releases on one condition: they would stop by to be written out.

If you’ve read this far, you know what being written out of Lucha Underground means a lot of the time. Season four was going to be the weakest season, but by God was it going to be absolutely interesting.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

quote:

Councilman Delgado (again, played by TV’s The Renegade) had Cage meet him in his office. As the two made conversation, Delgado started talking about Cage’s importance in the big evil conspiracy. Cage didn’t know what he was talking about and claimed he didn’t work for anyone. He ended up losing control of his anger and EXPLODED DELGADO’S HEAD WITH A PUNCH FROM THE GAUNTLET! Cage just stood there with brains all over the gauntlet before walking out of the office and stepping on a loose eyeball left on the floor.

:stare:

You don't see that on television anymore!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol yeah that poo poo was awesome, rip lorenzo lamas

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gavok posted:

In the final scene, Dario Cueto hung out in his office with Agent Winter. Dario was hoping he could get the gauntlet back in their hands, but Winter told him not to worry about it... as Dario would be dead. Winter shot Dario in the stomach and casually walked out. With the last of his strength, Dario picked up the phone, called someone, weakly said, “Papa...” and keeled over. The man on the other end of the phone was frantic. To be continued.

I am so excited for you to get to this because it is SO delightfully dumb. :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is this going to be a wrestling equivalent of the Red Wedding?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DIGGING INTO THE LUCHA UNDERGROUND PART 7

One of the problems Lucha Underground had in its first three seasons was that they never tried to branch out in any way other than putting up some free comics online. In-between the third and fourth seasons, we did at least get something. Lucha Underground started touring, which admittedly wasn’t much. It was three cities with an afternoon show and an evening show.

On WrestleMania Weekend in New Orleans, there was a special event IMPACT Wrestling vs. Lucha Underground, which was streamed for free on Twitch. While it had nothing to do with the overall story, it was an enjoyable mixing of rosters with some cool crossover matches, especially LAX vs. Mack and Killshot. The main event was Pentagon Dark vs. Austin Aries vs. Fenix, mainly for the sake of having Fenix take the pin instead of Aries.

Season 4 premiered on June 13, 2018 and the season would run for only 22 episodes, just over half as long as the previous one. Prince Puma and Rey Mysterio were both gone, moving to WWE. Sexy Star was practically cancelled in the wrestling industry. There was definitely a void there, but even worse was a very unnecessary void they created: Dario Cueto was dead.

The premiere began with Dario’s funeral where the only ones who arrived were Agent Winter and Dario’s father, Antonio Cueto. Antonio was going to take over Lucha Underground and put it in a new Temple, which was once a beer storage facility.

So remember how in Mary Poppins, the movie was carried on the back of Dick Van Dyke’s charming, over-the-top performance as Bert, but once he started playing a second role of an old man, the whole thing just slowed to a crawl? That’s Lucha Underground, because Antonio was just Luis Fernandez-Gil with a wig, fake beard, scratchy voice, and cane. Cute for a couple scenes, but having him as the authority figure for an entire season? God help us.

Other than all the establishing cinematic stuff, the first episode jumped into things by just randomly throwing Aztec Warfare 4 at us. For the first time, the champion retained and Pentagon Dark took out Marty the Moth in the end.

For the first half of the season, it really felt like they were trying to make good on how long it took to pull the trigger on Pentagon by making his title run a series of matches to establish him as the top guy. The second week had him defeat Matanza Cueto. They had him do a rad feud with Cage that culminated in a hardcore match where in order to win, Pentagon had to break both of Cage’s arms and then stomp his head through a cinderblock. Otherwise, he went through Mil Muertes, King Cuerno, and for some reason Hernandez.

Around this time, Marty the Moth started to get more serious about rising to the top, so he won the Gift of the Gods Championship and offered a shitload of money to Antonio Cueto to let him ambush Pentagon after a match and go full-on Money in the Bank with it. This is the second time they used the belt in this fashion, but at least it was explained in-story and Pentagon had it coming for being the last guy to cash it in like this.

And so, we got Marty the Moth as Lucha Underground Champion for the latter half of the season.

The showrunners knew that the chances of cancellation were high, so you could tell that they were hoping for season 5 to be the big finale to everything. Season 4 really feels like they were trying to set things up. Up until this point, the only gods we really knew about were Matanza (possessed by a god) and whatever resided inside the magic gauntlet. Season 4 started pushing the concept further as there was some kind of major war against the gods coming and the main heroes united against it were Aerostar, El Dragon Azteca Jr., and King Cuerno.

In one subplot, the Rabbit Tribe finally came across the White Rabbit, portrayed by Killer Kross/Karrion Kross. While big and intimidating enough, Kross is a fairly average wrestler who has bounced around from promotion to promotion and is considered Triple H’s NXT self-insert. He’s mainly remembered for how unstoppable he was in NXT before going to the main roster and immediately getting rolled up by Jeff Hardy, then being forced to wear the stupidest entrance gear in WWE history.

The White Rabbit, apparently one of the Aztec Gods, demanded Paul London murder Mascarita Sagrada in front of him in order to earn his approval and be allowed to go further down the rabbit hole. London did so, covered in blood and grinning like a lunatic. Luckily, Sagrada was already repackaged as White Rabbit’s personal Salacious Crumb: El Bunny. He's the guy in that little Groot ball on the right.

Other than the deaths of the non-London members of the group and London wearing black all of the sudden, not much happened with this faction worth discussing.

Kross as the White Rabbit was a good microcosm for one of the things going wrong this season. They did bring in several new wrestlers this time around, but they lacked the “lucha” of Lucha Underground. At least in earlier seasons they were able to take people like Ricochet, Matt Cross, Jeff Cobb, Cheerleader Melissa, and Swerve Strickland and put them in masks to make them look the part. We didn’t get that this time around. It was more, “Here’s Tommy Dreamer and now Joey Mercury is here as Joey Wrestling.”

I can’t even bring myself to do the quick profiles on all the new faces. The lightning round version is that we have XO Lishus (Sonny Kiss, which at least felt like a unique persona), Dezmond X, Mr. Pec-Tacular (a reality TV show guy who became a fairly popular tag team act in IMPACT), Big Bad Steve, and Sammy Guevara. Honestly, seeing Sammy on the roster constantly makes me do a double take because he’s such a non-factor that it doesn’t feel real. It's like seeing Tobey Maguire show up in the Wizard.

Chelsea Green appeared as Reclusa, who was in Marty the Moth’s corner and had one match against Pentagon Dark. I think the insinuation was that she was the one who took care of Sexy Star off-camera because spiders, but they couldn’t be bothered to do much with her look other than put a spider symbol over her top.

Oh, and there was “The Savage” Jake Strong. This guy is definitely worth talking about, at least. “The All-American American” Jack Swagger is a WWE career that’s maybe worth a deep dive write-up, but mostly kind of bland. He kicked rear end in WWE’s ECW and was their champion, jumped to the main roster, randomly won Money in the Bank, cashed it in a few days later, looked like a doofus during the title run, then lost it and ended up in midcard purgatory for years.

Jake Strong debuted in a trios match and teamed up with Sammy Guevara and Big Bad Steve against the champs. Oh, at this time the champs were Killshot, Mack, and Son of Havoc because Dante Fox left and they needed a new third guy. Strong’s team lost and Strong kicked the poo poo out of the other two. Then he beat each teammate in a dominant singles match in the weeks that followed.

UNFORTUNATELY, I’m going to get back to him later.

Let’s see, what else was going on... Catrina was able to convince her mother to hand over her side of the immortality pendant, which I think causes Captain Vasquez to vanish in a white light. Catrina was almost human again, but needed to siphon Fenix’s essence because of his innate resurrection powers. So she got Antonio to put together yet another Casket Match of Fenix vs. Mil Muertes, but this time Jeremiah Crane wanted to be involved and make it a three-way. Jeremiah really, really wanted to gently caress that ghost and getting Mil Muertes out of the way seemed like the best way to make it happen.

By this point, Ivelisse was sick of Jeremiah’s poo poo, so she helped him lose by breaking a hammer over his head. Mil Muertes won the match and both of his victims were considered dead. Catrina licked away Fenix’s powers (sure) and became mortal. Jeremiah’s fate... I’ll get to in a bit, but it is especially stupid.

Something I never really mentioned was the story beat that Fenix and ring announcer Melissa Santos were an item. So it should come to no surprise that Santos and Catrina then had a lengthy cinematic martial arts fight that ended with Catrina falling to her death. Mil Muertes was there and could have saved her, but he liked her better as a ghost, so to Hell with her. Then Aerostar showed up, removed the powers that Catrina stole, went back in time, reinserted them into Fenix’s body, then brought Fenix to the present to be reunited with Santos.

Except this whole unnatural process of it all kind of messed with Fenix in weird ways and turned him evil. He wore black, acted like a heel, would be drooling all the time, and there was even a situation where he and Mil Muertes found themselves as tag partners who uncannily got along perfectly.

I mentioned that Matanza lost to Pentagon Dark. Antonio wanted to unlock Matanza’s final form, so he destroyed the key that Dario always kept around his neck, as it was where Matanza’s soul or humanity resided. This turned him into a fully unstoppable beast and they used this as a way to clean house. For one, they showed him beating what was probably meant to be Rey Mysterio to death like he was a human heavy bag.

Throughout the season, Matanza would have Sacrifice to the Gods Matches. They would just be him winning a quick squash match, then the lights would go out and upon turning back on, the opponent would be gone forever. Through Matanza, they killed off Mr. Pec-Tacular, Cortez Castro, Vinny Massaro (a fat slob guy who was always eating pizza), Mala Suerte, Saltador, Joey Wrestling, and Jack Evans.

Which helps me segue into discussing what was going on with Worldwide Underground. At one point, Ricky Mandel went further with his obsession with Johnny Mundo by having his name legally changed to Ricky Mundo. Also, I guess before being murdered, Dario told Ricky to visit the Island of the Dolls, a tourist attraction in Mexico filled with creepy dolls. Ricky returned with his own Annabelle-type doll that was openly disturbing Jack Evans and PJ Black.

Then it started talking to him when nobody else was around. Apparently, Ricky was responsible for Angelico’s disappearance from the show because he killed him off-screen. Worldwide Underground also had this sleazy “We have Paul Heyman at home” agent guy on the payroll and the doll had Ricky stab him to death.

Worldwide Underground feuded with the Reptile Tribe, which was a pretty fun heel vs. heel stable feud. It gave us a really great Johnny Mundo vs. Vibora match. Even though Vibora won, Johnny and Taya decided to dress up like Indiana Jones, sneak into his lair, and chop his head off with a machete. And that was it for Vibora!

Now up to this point, it was just the slimy human heels vs. the supernatural monster heels and when given that choice I’m always going to side with the latter. I’d rather see Undertaker take out Ric Flair or the Xenomorph slaughter Paul Reiser. Then they just decided to turn Johnny face out of nowhere.

Johnny challenged Kobra Moon to a four-on-four tag match where if the Reptile Tribe won, Johnny would join them. If Worldwide Underground won, Kobra had to grant Johnny a wish. On one side, we had Johnny Mundo, Taya, PJ Black, and their surprise partner Aerostar. On the other side, Kobra Moon, Drago, Daga, and their newest member... Jeremiah Snake.

Yes, they resurrected Jeremiah Crane as a dude with a reptile aesthetic and called him Jeremiah Snake. Jeremiah. Snake.

Worldwide Underground won and Johnny demanded that Kobra Moon release Drago from her hold. With Drago granted his freedom, Johnny followed up the good feelings by dropping down to a knee and proposing to Taya.

The remaining members of the Reptile Tribe were fine. They won the Trios Championship a week later, so they got their momentum back.

The wedding of Johnny and Taya was of course featured in-ring. A wheelchair-bound Famous B was the officiant, and everything was the gaudiest neon green. Antonio Cueto even came out to offer everyone a table full of tacos.

Ring bearer Ricky Mundo, on the other hand, released Matanza from captivity. That led to Famous B’s legendary line, “I now pronounce you man and HOLY poo poo WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!”

Matanza proceeded to rush the ring and kicked every rear end he could get his hands on. That included suplexing Famous B while Famous B was in a wheelchair because Jeff Cobb’s real-life strength is insane. He flipped Johnny out of the ring and through the table of tacos with an exploder suplex. Then he split Taya’s head open with a headbutt and chokeslammed her into the cake.

Johnny swore revenge, but it was going to take more than Worldwide Underground to beat Matanza. He needed help. He needed to become stronger. He would get that aid.

Next time I’ll get into Ultima Lucha Cuatro, the unfortunate aftermath, and the epilogue to it all.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol rumor is that cm punk is coming back to wwe... let the countdown begin

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Not a rumor. At this point it's a done deal, they're just trying to be coy about it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's going to get into a backstage fight with the entire locker room

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

lol vince is gonna bury him so bad

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Punk will job to The Miz in Saudi Arabia, clean as a sheet.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's going to get into a backstage fight with the entire locker room

There's no way this happens because he won't be hired as anything other than regular talent. He won't get the royal treatment that AEW gave him and now that everyone knows what he's really like nobody is going to put up with any of Punk's poo poo

He'll get destroyed if he tries to bully people

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Dolph Ziggler left some big shoes to fill. You will have to work hard to live up to his legacy, Punk.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I cannot wait for Punk to try and give some advice, the WWE machine to tell him that's not his role, and for him to flip out again.

I get the best of both worlds - AEW is better without him and WWE will be much funnier to read about with him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lol when HHH said "he is their problem now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it appears he is HHH's problem now