Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bear is fat bear?
This poll is closed.
480 Otis 7 11.48%
409 Beadnose 0 0%
747 26 42.62%
435 Holly 10 16.39%
A New Challenger 18 29.51%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Build their own nuclear submarine and sink a British cruiser, duh. Then nothing will stand between them and Las Malvinas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wasn't it France he approached?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

What exactly was argentina supposed to do with that information? Just sell it further along?

That’s presumably why they did the diplomatic equivalent of calling up another company’s IT department and asking why the gently caress they were sending phishing tests.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Airgoons is currently running the campaign and in that alt-timeline I assume that plan worked and Argentina has a garage-band 688.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Wasn't it France he approached?

Ah poo poo it was Brazil. The same level of confusion but I guess I really wanted to make Falkland Island jokes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

ASAPI posted:

Holy crap.

This has to be the Congressional equivalent to rage quitting a long forgotten, dead, comedy forum...

Edit to Add:

Is this because he believes the RNC will not assist him in any way? A fear of big primary challengers? Is he just that ashamed that he wants out?

As an added bonus he’s one of the GOP’s biggest fundraisers and they’re concerned losing him will be a big blow, lol.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
IDF apparently let multiple groups of armed Hamas marauders across the border and they're causing havoc. Hard to imagine how this happened.
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1710529957024104617?s=20

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
An actively burning tank wreck is pretty low on the list of things I would want to stand on or near for a number of reasons.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, sounds like the white house isn't a great environment for the dog either. The secret service are either dicks to the dog on purpose, don't know how to handle them, or Commander isn't well socialized to having a bunch of strange dudes hanging around him every day. Either way I wish Commander good luck in their future endeavors.

It's also quite possible that the high-strung German Shepherd Dog doesn't have an outlet for all its instincts and energy, but knows drat well which secret service agents smell like they hate the person he is bonded to and wants to protect.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

There is some really awful images coming out of the raid on Israel so watch out clicking on links.

https://x.com/CalibreObscura/status/1710536047971520904?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tiny posted:

It's also quite possible that the high-strung German Shepherd Dog doesn't have an outlet for all its instincts and energy, but knows drat well which secret service agents smell like they hate the person he is bonded to and wants to protect.

A lot of the posturing and demeanor you'd imagine from SS types probably looks extremely aggressive to a dog and they're gonna address it the way they see fit I'd imagine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If Biden were like any normal person, I’d say “keep the dogs and fire the bodyguards”.

The Secret Service is probably better equipped than two dogs though. Sadly, not as loyal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Netanyahu is saying "we are at war", so.... things gonna get bad.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Time for a rewatch of Fauda.

Also, practically begging the IDF of all organisations to take the gloves off against your people while the rest of the world has its eyes on Ukraibei is pretty dumb.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
BBC is reporting over 500 Israelis wounded so far and 20+ dead.

I think 'gloves off' is a given and the Palestinian controlled areas are going to have all their infrastructure smashed.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I just naturally assume Israel probably had advanced warning and allowed it to happen to justify the response.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Unconfirmed reports of Hamas taking hostages.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

IDF has confirmed Hamas captured a unit commander of their deep cover operations, the former commander of the Gaza Division.

E- wasn't a great source, so consider it unreliable.

GOP is gonna love this

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 7, 2023

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Seems like a gigantic failure on the part of Israeli intelligence. Appear to have large number of killed, wounded and kidnapped/taken prisoner.

Hamas seems to be targeting civilians too, the response is probably going to be brutal. I just hope civilian casualties won’t be high but I have my doubts.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 7, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Thelonious posted:

I just naturally assume Israel probably had advanced warning and allowed it to happen to justify the response.

From the limited information on my feed, this more feels like fuckup. Israel was probably close to normalizing relations with Saudi Arabia, then Hamas slung 3k-5k rockets and breached the border enough to actually take over Israeli towns. Too severe/consequential a failure to call it just turning a blind eye:

https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/status/1710634889790263301?t=amiAArrBndIHWmC_3tMSvg&s=19

https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/status/1710639885164347435?t=alx8MvuTCBtUB2CuvUYBUA&s=19

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
How the gently caress is this happening. From the intelligence failures to even the lack of any contigency planning working out well by the Israelis. How.

B-Mac posted:

Seems like a gigantic failure in the part of Israeli intelligence. Appear to have large number of killed, wounded and kidnapped/taken prisoner.

Hamas seems to be targeting civilians too, the response is probably going to be brutal. I just hope civilian casualties won’t be high but I have my doubts.

This is going to be brutal for civilians on both sides. Neither party is holding back at all.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm assuming Israeli Intel let this happen for the purposes of a final victory, to try and take everything and kill every Palestinian they can.

Not a Flase Flag, but something they let happen. Maybe they under estimated it, but this seems entirely too big to have stayed completely off their radar.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I have to agree, this was allowed to happen in order to provide cause.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Israel has been sufficiently distracted by internal conflict lately that their intelligence missing this doesn't surprise me that much.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I could definitely see Israel potentially underestimating Hamas as a threat, I certainly wouldn't have believed they could bust through the security border and seize multiple settlements before today.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I mean, what do you expect to happen when you corral a people, steal their land, and regularly bombard them from the air and treat them like oppressed second class citizens?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is it possible that Netanyahu has been dismissing officers due to insufficient loyalty? A purge could certainly explain a precipitous drop in competence.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
bibi pals around with neo nazis and definitely would resort to unscrupulous means, also the israeli government is more ultra-nationalist now than ever. their decision to not provide materiel support to ukraine makes a lot more sense if theyve been working on some plans of their own for the last few years.

i would not be surprised if hamas had no part in this at all.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Reports are 198 dead in Gaza in retaliatory strikes so far

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fivemarks posted:

I mean, what do you expect to happen when you corral a people, steal their land, and regularly bombard them from the air and treat them like oppressed second class citizens?

I stay out of this kind of discussion because it's a clusterfuck, but I just want to show the depths of the clusterfuck here:

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1710655794310512976?t=OWSz4xaQev0BWS-mcY8U6Q&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Man. Jared Kushner's peace deal really didn't pan out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm assuming Israeli Intel let this happen for the purposes of a final victory, to try and take everything and kill every Palestinian they can.

Not a Flase Flag, but something they let happen. Maybe they under estimated it, but this seems entirely too big to have stayed completely off their radar.

I highly doubt Israeli intelligence had no idea this was coming, because they have fingers in literally all of the pies (even if they didn't have a mole directly in Hamas, they should have been able to gather enough info to determine something was coming). The question is did they sit on it because this provides a casus belli to finally indiscriminately wipe out Palestinians in West Bank and Gaza? Or, did they sit on it because they didn't think that an attack from Hamas would be as large as it was?

Bibi's ultranationalist group is going to push to completely eliminate Palestine after this I think, never let a good crisis go to waste.

Me and you are on the same page absolutely bulletsponge, this provides a convenient excuse to go completely scorched earth and forcedly take the remainder of Palestine away from the Palestinians and finally wipe them out like they've been trying to since Israel was established.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 7, 2023

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I have to agree, this was allowed to happen in order to provide cause.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at. I'm not saying they turned a total blind eye to it, likely underestimated whatever the gently caress it was gonna be, but I highly doubt no one in their entire MI apparatus had zero clue something was brewing. The "NO, THERE IS NO WAY THEY HAD PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING HAPPENING!" crowd on CNN has just as much evidence as I do that the Israelis' heard rumblings something was about to hit.

EDIT:

orange juche posted:

I highly doubt Israeli intelligence had no idea this was coming, because they have fingers in literally all of the pies (even if they didn't have a mole directly in Hamas, they should have been able to gather enough info to determine something was coming). The question is did they sit on it because this provides a casus belli to finally indiscriminately wipe out Palestinians in West Bank and Gaza? Or, did they sit on it because they didn't think that an attack from Hamas would be as large as it was?

Bibi's ultranationalist group is going to push to completely eliminate Palestine after this I think, never let a good crisis go to waste.

Yeah this.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i think mossad has so many moles inside hamas that, much like american neo nazis being mostly fbi, the majority of hamas is comprised of mossad agents

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This kind of an intelligence failure doesn't happen really in the era of ubiquitous technical surveillance. Someone absolutely knew about it, finding out who decided that the juice was worth the squeeze of potentially thousands dead by the time this poo poo is over will probably never be known by anyone outside of the Israeli government.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bibi has been in power almost uninterrupted for over 15 years at this point. He has presided over numerous ground incursions and massive military operations into Gaza. The biggest intelligence failure since the Yom Kippur War just occurred on his watch, and while he could previously count on other flare-ups with Gaza to take some domestic political heat off of him, his adversaries will rightly call for his head as soon as the last bullet is fired. And given the strength of the Israeli far right, his successor will make him look like a peacenik by comparison.

Absolutely no good will come of this for anyone involved. Pray that this doesn’t become a repeat of the 2006 war and that Hezbollah doesn’t get drawn into the conflict somehow.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

So my read of this is that obviously they ignored intel... but more due to incompetency than some evil malice

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Putin is in awe of how to carry out a false flag without actually doing so.

CommieGIR posted:

Man. Jared Kushner's peace deal really didn't pan out.

How long until we get a statement reading "This war would NEVER have happened if not for the rigged election of 2020"?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Bibi has been in power almost uninterrupted for over 15 years at this point. He has presided over numerous ground incursions and massive military operations into Gaza. The biggest intelligence failure since the Yom Kippur War just occurred on his watch, and while he could previously count on other flare-ups with Gaza to take some domestic political heat off of him, his adversaries will rightly call for his head as soon as the last bullet is fired. And given the strength of the Israeli far right, his successor will make him look like a peacenik by comparison.

Bibi will end his years of service being replaced by an even more ultranationalist candidate in response to this, and thus bibi and his party will have won the politics too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah Israel has taken the nosedive into Ultra-Nationalist, well on its way to being outright fascist.