Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fuctifino posted:

I guess we could just use derelict military bases or offshore barges. Wasn't there something about looking into renting foreign prison places? If so, what are Rwandan prisons like?

I think they had a really big prison population because lots of people got jailed for their role in the genocide.

Probably some of that space is freed up now, so might work if you ignore any human rights concerns (lol, lmao).

e: No apparently it's still overcrowded, albeit much less than it was after the genocide:

quote:

The UK-Rwanda resettlement deal has sprung Rwanda back in to media focus lately, with many media outlets, politicians and civilians branding the deal and Rwanda as a society as ‘inhumane’. However, there is little mention of their penal system and the fact that they have one of the highest incarceration rates in the whole world, with a fairly small population of around 13 million. After the tragedy that was the Rwandan genocide in 1994, an estimated 125,000 Rwandan’s were incarcerated in prisons designed to hold 12,000 prisoners. Of course, this was largely branded to be inhumane, for a country to so willingly overcrowd prisons without a fair trial or proper due process in place. Rwanda’s willingness to incarcerate people doesn’t appear to have changed a great deal. In 2021 the Institute for Crime & Justice Policy research stated that second to the United States, Rwanda has the highest prison population rate per 100,000 of the general population at a staggering 580. Local news, sourced from ‘Rwanda Today’, claim that incomplete investigations along with delayed prosecutions are significantly contributing to the overpopulation of the 12 prisons in Rwanda. This is not reassuring for a country who has just made a deal with the UK government to offer safe refuge to vulnerable people fleeing their home countries. The UK government themselves note how overcrowding in prisons in Rwanda is a significant problem, along with the sanitation of the prisons and the lengthy process of pre-trial investigation and detention. Last year, the National Human Rights Commission released figures showing that Rwanda had the capacity to imprison 61,320 people, but was in fact operating way above that capacity at 76,099.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/jpxan71/status/1710397082375172150

This loving station is beyond parody :allears:

Look at the way it's been edited. Lee's parts are all trees in the background, and the cabbies parts are all buildings. I watched that video three times in a row, and couldn't stop laughing. IT'S SO loving BAD!

What we are witnessing is the death of political satire. No show can ever top this, when reality is now topping such classics as The Thick Of It and The Day Today

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 7, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If 'e chaages for wan, 'e's goin' to chaage for awl of them!

30p: I get my Common sense from this man.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

happyhippy posted:

If you want to be a proper Sigma Ultra Gamma Omega anything, a bottle of bucky and 20 Embassy Blue is all you need.

All you need is a Patrick Bateman meme.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

how embarrassing. you'd think cleese would have had a bunch of pretty well educated smart grandkids who would have somehow prevented him from loving his reputation like this.

He's a Boomer, mate. He won't be told.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Huh, Hamas has launched a massive surprise attack and invaded Israel. Wasn't expecting to wake up to that this morning.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was just reading about cleese. He was apparently going to make something on the aussie emu war but got beaten to the punch.
I remember seeing someone saying that australia had lost a war against birds (maybe felix on chapo?) but I'd never read about it. What a ridiculous story. :whoptc:

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ys-machine-guns

:wtf:

(Non cleese trailer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QAyieTpLuA

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Cleese was whining back in 2011 about how he couldn't live in London any more because there were too many foreigners about.

At this point it's been over a decade of the press flocking to promote his racist grandpa commentary while he repeatedly fails to actually create anything - he was the proto-Laurence Fox, I'm amazed they didn't hire him earlier.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's written into Bunreacht na hÉireann now

So that requires a Southern border poll as well. Fairly positive it's in the GFA text in some form as well.

E: it would be an absolute shocker if it didn't pass by a large margin tho

It doesn't specifically mention holding a poll so that could also be read as the Dail Eireann voting on the matter, as in a representative democracy MP's represent the democratically expressed consent of the majority, that's the entire point. But in theory there would need to be an election held so that voters can take the issue into consideration when voting, so one might as well have a referendum.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cleeses big divorce broke him. His Californian wife grabbed all his money and it made him unhinged. He did a global speaking tour primarily to moan about how evil women are

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm surprised nobody has posted about how hilarious that Lee Anderson video is yet. I watched it another three times this morning, and laughed throughout it all.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Huh, Hamas has launched a massive surprise attack and invaded Israel. Wasn't expecting to wake up to that this morning.

I mean i dont really now what they hoped to achieve given israel have effectively declared war in response. Its not like Nato are going to swoop in to stop Israel driving their tanks over the palestinian civilians.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i assume nobody clicked it because "look at this video of a tory" is not terribly enticing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i assume nobody clicked it because "look at this video of a tory" is not terribly enticing

Yeah I find it hard to see the funny in them when they’re otherwise uncritically viewed as being representative of what the majority of the country apparently want.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

serious gaylord posted:

I mean i dont really now what they hoped to achieve given israel have effectively declared war in response. Its not like Nato are going to swoop in to stop Israel driving their tanks over the palestinian civilians.

I've gotta say my heart sank when I saw the news, because you know its going to just lead to the annihilation of tens of thousands of Palestinian civilians, and any victories Hamas achieve at all will be entirely pyrrhic.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yeah Israel is going to just bulldoze gaza and kill everyone (which they were doing anyway but now they'll do it faster I guess).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I would simply not judge the actions of absolutely desperate brutalized victims against their oppressors. It's not like the other option of "stay quiet while we slowly eradicate you" is much more appealing

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i wouldn't say it's a judgement so much as knowing the route of a well-travelled road. desperately sad in any case

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I would simply not judge the actions of absolutely desperate brutalized victims against their oppressors. It's not like the other option of "stay quiet while we slowly eradicate you" is much more appealing

Yeah, mostly peaceful acquiescence has done gently caress-all to help them. I can't blame "several dozen" (and allow me a gallows lmao at Israel stating that's enough to be considered a war) of the more desperate people for retaliating. Death by a thousand cuts while the international community watches on, tutting sadly, is obviously going to get them nowhere.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Poor plastic priest Calvin is scraping the bottom of the barrel to get airtime

https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1710389667525169537

:allears:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
It's that Karl "too racist for UKIP" of Swindon !!?!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does look like him yeah.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Renfield posted:

Yes, 'Sargon of Akkad' aka Carl Benjamin. I'm too lazy to find out who the person in the middle is

I don't mean to come across as racist, but all the far-right grifters look alike to me

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Renfield posted:

That's unfair. He was too racist and misogynist.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lickspittle Lammy leaps in….

https://twitter.com/davidlammy/status/1710570750434750836?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Christ. So utterly shameless.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hands up who's voting for this party of cunts again?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Richard Tice's vanity project cosplaying Nazi party is starting their 'conference' in a few minutes., and I'm looking forward to trolling the cunts and laughing at the pisspoor turnout of white elderly racists.

e: he's currently 5 mins late. The chat is unmoderated.

e: 30 mins late now, and still no stream. He's apparently talking at the event, but nothing is escaping those 4 walls :allears:

final edit: Hahahaha, the chat was completely unmoderated, and it was great fun pushing their buttons. The stream never started. Everyone waited 45 minutes, and suddenly the stream was deleted and all mention about it being streamed was deleted off of twitter

The conference has definitely started though
https://twitter.com/reformparty_uk/status/1710601406774677809

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 7, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
7 Israeli towns now under Hamas control (according to Israeli news channels). The Ukrainians should be taking lessons from them in how to liberate territory lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

It doesn't specifically mention holding a poll so that could also be read as the Dail Eireann voting on the matter, as in a representative democracy MP's represent the democratically expressed consent of the majority, that's the entire point. But in theory there would need to be an election held so that voters can take the issue into consideration when voting, so one might as well have a referendum.
Assuming that there's a transition period where Stormont still operates as a regional assembly (which there should be, all serious reunification parties support that path, and neither "Ulster gets to do what it wants forever, gently caress you" nor "poll passed, Stormont closes at 5pm, you're now under direct rule from Dublin" would be productive paths to peaceful reunification) there would still need to be a referendum to update the constitution to reflect what new constitutional status the northern six counties would have.

Whether it's explicitly stated that way or not, if that happened without a poll then that referendum would be seen as the poll.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just going to have to stay off twitter today. Makes me sick.
On the one hand Palestinians have a right to defend themselves, on the other hand I know this is going to lead to mass murder by the Israelis.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LeeAndersonMP_/status/1710590780740440089

:allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
uWu notice me Israel-chan

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1710578659415757310?t=k58oy0VHRJuzysNgp97d0w&s=19

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Two Cunts 1 Wig

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1710605584418865497

Why is she still in her dressing gown?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Gilet Gladiator.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Incredible video. So we’re now just filming military incursions like it’s a Schwarzenegger movie…

https://twitter.com/swilkinsonbc/status/1710577172358828434?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
People have been doing that in one form or another since there were moving pictures, like redoing entire WWI battles a few miles behind the trenches for clockwork cine cameras.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only TikTok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
They've captured an Israeli General, what an extraordinary day it is.