Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I appreciate YJ for using characters like Halo and Geo-Force and Forager even if I don't appreciate what it actually does with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Larryb posted:

Were Seasons 3 & 4 any better or is it basically just all downhill after the first one?

YJ season 3 did the same "time skip then start with a new group of teens" thing as season 2 but imo handled it a bit better; the new characters were a bit annoying but had more personality than most of the season 2 cast, and the season 1 cast mostly worked well as mentors to the new group. Unfortunately like half of the original team just weren't in the show, most of the season 2 characters had cameos at best, and there was very minimal overarching plot other than building up the new characters, so if you didn't like them there's basically nothing to the series.
Season 4 was dogshit start to finish. It once again threw away the cast of the previous series, this time to focus on the season 1 characters, but was just really badly made. All the individual story arcs were basically one or two episode plots stretched to four or five so the pacing is always hosed, it keeps focusing on plot points that happened either entirely off-screen (most of Artemis' arc is about Cassandra Cain, who has never even been mentioned before she shows up) or in completely different shows (Rocket's arc is mostly about following up on plot points from the Green Lantern animated series that ended a full decade before the series aired). That was at least better than the other half of Rocket's storyline, which was about how she hates her autistic son. Also every episode has like 5 full minutes of its runtime devoted to Beast Boy looking directly at the camera and saying "i'm the guy who sucks, plus i got depression" until he just decides to not be sad anymore at the end. Bad series, glad it's dead.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Young Justice Season 4 aka "we ran out of budget so hard that all we could afford to do is pay the voice actors to monologue over still images.

I'm in season four now and had to wonder how much they saved by not having the mouths move.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Young Justice Season 4 aka "we ran out of budget so hard that all we could afford to do is pay the voice actors to monologue over still images.

But also we couldn't afford to get them in to rerecord and the monologue went long, so now it's at 105% speed."

Ah, the Xenogears method

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dordreff posted:

YJ season 3 did the same "time skip then start with a new group of teens" thing as season 2 but imo handled it a bit better; the new characters were a bit annoying but had more personality than most of the season 2 cast, and the season 1 cast mostly worked well as mentors to the new group. Unfortunately like half of the original team just weren't in the show, most of the season 2 characters had cameos at best, and there was very minimal overarching plot other than building up the new characters, so if you didn't like them there's basically nothing to the series.
Season 4 was dogshit start to finish. It once again threw away the cast of the previous series, this time to focus on the season 1 characters, but was just really badly made. All the individual story arcs were basically one or two episode plots stretched to four or five so the pacing is always hosed, it keeps focusing on plot points that happened either entirely off-screen (most of Artemis' arc is about Cassandra Cain, who has never even been mentioned before she shows up) or in completely different shows (Rocket's arc is mostly about following up on plot points from the Green Lantern animated series that ended a full decade before the series aired). That was at least better than the other half of Rocket's storyline, which was about how she hates her autistic son. Also every episode has like 5 full minutes of its runtime devoted to Beast Boy looking directly at the camera and saying "i'm the guy who sucks, plus i got depression" until he just decides to not be sad anymore at the end. Bad series, glad it's dead.

Yeah, people would fall over themselves to laud YJ for its portrayal of mental illness and I am begging those people to watch nearly anything else on the subject. Or talking about how Lagoon Boy is in a polycule with a man and a woman and that is cool but I have never cared about Lagoon Boy and I'm not about to start now.

Weisman felt like he was more in love with the way of telling a story than the actual story. All the timeskips and jumping around just left it a mess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Azubah posted:

YT is annoying since the first season was pretty good. The time jump between seasons was a...decision.

Yeah, who needs the cast and story arcs that you were enjoying in the first season? Just ditch them all!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Weisman felt like he was more in love with the way of telling a story than the actual story. All the timeskips and jumping around just left it a mess.

I feel like he wanted to tell a story about a group of heroes growing up and advancing in their lives.... buuut for some reason he kept introducing new characters and focusing on them. I mean I get that it's realistic for more and more new heroes to pop up over time (after all we all know how Batman burns through Robins...) and that it's a great opportunity to have appearances by fan favorites scattered throughout, but still, it kind of defeats the point of (what I think) he was going for.

But yeah, the time jumps really hosed things up more than anything else. Like the first time it was neat, you could be all like "Wow what happened to Aqualad in that mysterious gap?" but the more it goes, the more the novelty wears off and you just roll your eyes.

e: although my #1 problem with the show is that they never named "The Team" Young Justice at any point. Like come on guys what are you doing

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I cynically thought the time jumps were so that they could use different media to fill in the games. The games and comics were supposed to fill those in somehow?

I remember the games sucking.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was explicitly a plan for that that fell through entirely.

Very few TV shows ever end up any good at multimedia co-marketing things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Azubah posted:

I cynically thought the time jumps were so that they could use different media to fill in the games. The games and comics were supposed to fill those in somehow?

I remember the games sucking.

Were the YJ comics any better (either the 90’s ones that predate the show or the 2011 series set during it)?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The Young Justice comics had more in common with the Teen Titans show and YJ with the Teen Titans comics, ironically

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

e: although my #1 problem with the show is that they never named "The Team" Young Justice at any point. Like come on guys what are you doing

Yeah, just calling it "The Team" was one of those things that became increasingly irritating over the years. (My personal thing is borking Cassandra Cain's origin but The Team was really annoying.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The best thing Young Justice did was throwing a bone to us Green Lantern TAS fans. :negative:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68OueL-Iv2o

Looks promising so far.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Why is the lip syncing so bad or rather non-existent?

Cute that they changed Amazon to Netflix. It’s also 💀 that Scott Pilgrim is now a period piece.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I feel like he wanted to tell a story about a group of heroes growing up and advancing in their lives.... buuut for some reason he kept introducing new characters and focusing on them. I mean I get that it's realistic for more and more new heroes to pop up over time (after all we all know how Batman burns through Robins...) and that it's a great opportunity to have appearances by fan favorites scattered throughout, but still, it kind of defeats the point of (what I think) he was going for.

But yeah, the time jumps really hosed things up more than anything else. Like the first time it was neat, you could be all like "Wow what happened to Aqualad in that mysterious gap?" but the more it goes, the more the novelty wears off and you just roll your eyes.

The Team's name being The Team was never cool or clever, it always just felt like, "we can't decide on a name so let's decide our indecision was a choice". It makes no sense within the broader setting where loads of superteams exist and this one is explicitly the junior leaguers, because like, why do the rookie league heroes get the big deal eponym?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, is there a particular reason why they couldn't just call themselves Young Justice (it's literally in the title of the show)?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They were either trying to be edgy or they were not allowed to say 'young justice' in the show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My guess is they just thought it worked fine as a show name* but was too corny to use as an in-universe team name and using another actual team name would have been confusing

*especially since they were probably forced to use it by marketing since Young Justice the show has basically nothing in common with the 90's comic of the same name, I imagine Weisman probably would have just used the Titans name if it had been available

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Young Justice was going for a bit of a different feel than most superhero shows, a bit more naturalistic dialogue, so just referring to your own team as "the team" makes sense, sort of like how they always (or almost always?) called the Justice League just "the league", etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdBcnRFN4Vg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is they just thought it worked fine as a show name* but was too corny to use as an in-universe team name and using another actual team name would have been confusing

*especially since they were probably forced to use it by marketing since Young Justice the show has basically nothing in common with the 90's comic of the same name, I imagine Weisman probably would have just used the Titans name if it had been available

Was the 2011 comic any better than the show? Also did they actually use the team name there?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Assepoester posted:

Young Justice was going for a bit of a different feel than most superhero shows, a bit more naturalistic dialogue, so just referring to your own team as "the team" makes sense, sort of like how they always (or almost always?) called the Justice League just "the league", etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdBcnRFN4Vg

Justice Team!

dordreff posted:

This is a pretty apt summary. The writing is truly a mess. Like how Barbara becomes Oracle. :rolleyes:

This is just kind of injected haphazardly into an episode dealing with "trust issues".

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 29, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

Was the 2011 comic any better than the show? Also did they actually use the team name there?

Pretty sure that comic was just the tie-in comic for the show so probably about the same

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty sure that comic was just the tie-in comic for the show so probably about the same

If Wikipedia is to be believed there was at least one original miniseries that took place after Season 4 at any rate

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

This is a pretty apt summary. The writing is truly a mess. Like how Barbara becomes Oracle. :rolleyes:

This is just kind of injected haphazardly into an episode dealing with "trust issues".

That's our Cass Cain origin too, which... eh.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I really liked/like The Batman cartoon from 2005(6?4?). The theme song from the first two seasons I thought was the coolest thing in the world. I honestly was really against the second opening because it was so different and I didnt want to accept it, but its honestly really good too. All together I also just really like the look and feel of everything, and Catwoman's design in this show is my fav of all her animated appearances.

Also the dracula movie is so silly but I love it a ton. Wouldnt mind making it a halloween staple 🧛‍♂️

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Batman was good poo poo.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I loved the first Batmobile design for that show. They had a whole episode where it got destroyed and Batman needed to build a one that had the iconic profile. :sigh:

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I had forgotten about the Batmobile (and it is pretty cool), but that's because I remember all the other blatant merchandise so much more (fondly). I loved the huge Batrangers that are so overdesigned and they always make that shwing shwing sound when thrown, the big flight wings that make him fly like Buzz Lightyear, and the bulky robot suit he wrestled Bane with :allears:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the Marvel side of things, has there been any update lately as to when/if the Moon Girl cartoon is coming back?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

The Batman was good poo poo.

Also Beware the Batman was underrated.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finished the third watch of Spectacular Spider-man the other day. Girlfriend wasn't that hot on it at first but warmed up to it as it went on, specially once Venom kicked in, and she was absolutely hooked by the time Kraven showed up. Very upset that Norman survived! She loved/hated Liz Allen with all her tactics to keep Peter from Gwen while also just actually craving love.

It once again made me really bummed to not see the full plan, or even half of it. Foswell and Peter's partnership is so good, like Robbie is always a delight as the straightman to Jonah and someone Peter can rely on more, but Foswell being an actual reporter hitting the streets gives him a more dynamic angle to that kind of relationship. Patches and Spider-man 'working' together before Peter finds out is just so fun. Really wish we could've seen them on another case, see Peter become even more of a journalistic photographer outside of the Spider-man hustle.
It's also kinda sad that for the series that finally spotlights Gwen after decades of being passed up for Mary Jane, she kinda gets very little. Her relationship with Peter in season 2 means she spends most of it looking bummed out until she's finally an active character like two episodes from the ending. Liz is an absolute delight and a thrilling part of the relationship mess, and probably the right call to have her get so much development this "early" on, but it just means Gwen gets almost nothing to do for the actual runtime of the show. Love that doctor that's trying to sleep with Aunt May, motherfucker doing "house calls" on Valentine's in a full tux. Analyzing Norman and Eddie on rewatches is fun (Norman straight up being the person who creates the power vacuum to setup the last stretch of episode by almost instructing hammerhead step by step and giving all the tech supported that mook needed to pull it off lol) but Chameleon is the highlight, they use him so good. Girlfriend had me pause the last episode several times as she tried to figure out who Green Goblin is, she made a pretty convincing argument for Warren.

A time ago I thought that Spectacular Spider-man continuing on Disney+ could happen once Young Justice wraps up, but more and more I think it couldn't happen after the civil war movie lol. What suit on Disney would say yes to a cartoon featuring Gwen Stacy front and center but never putting on the suit? No Miles, focus on two dozen non-superhero characters and absolutely no connection to the larger marvel universe. I hope Spider-man 2 (the game, not either of the three spider-man 2 movies) is so good I can forget about how much I want more of this adaptation lol

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not Disney's call. The show is owned lock, stock, and barrel by Sony, and they've since lost the TV rights to Spider-man shows featuring Peter Parker.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dawgstar posted:

Also Beware the Batman was underrated.

Hard agree!

MorningMoon posted:

What suit on Disney would say yes to a cartoon featuring Gwen Stacy front and center but never putting on the suit?

I have to admit, for all I think Spider-Gwen is cool it feels kinda weird that it's completely taken over her previous incarnations. I dunno, I feel like there's a whole range of her character that's not "the one that dies" or "now a superhero" that just gets passed over now (not that there wasn't a tendency to have "the one that dies" take over her character before, to be fair).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

I have to admit, for all I think Spider-Gwen is cool it feels kinda weird that it's completely taken over her previous incarnations. I dunno, I feel like there's a whole range of her character that's not "the one that dies" or "now a superhero" that just gets passed over now (not that there wasn't a tendency to have "the one that dies" take over her character before, to be fair).

I think the problem is that everything else she can do is seen, even if unfairly, as MJ's remit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

Hard agree!

Before this all she was was 'the good girl' or 'the one who dies'. Spider-Gwen is basically the only way she escapes from One Who Died Jail. (This is a literal plot point in Spiderverse)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The original Gwen Stacy had a bit of a weird position in the comics. Peter Parker went off to college at a turmoil (like every other part of his life), leaving behind most of his High School aquaintances, as well as Betty Brant going through her own drama regarding her brother and leaving town. Gwen and Harry started out as mildly antagonistic towards Peter, and then slowly opened up to him and got friendlier. Gwen's dad being a cop who had to slowly build his own relationship with Spiderman was an interesting plot, and then when he died and Spiderman spent the next year being blamed for his death, that helped Peter and Gwen bond even more, until Peter starts to decide that he wants to marry Gwen.

Then I'm not really sure of all the details, but I think the writers got swapped out a couple times, and the next writer after Peter decides he wants to marry Gwen clearly has no real idea what to do with her, a lot of plots took Peter as far away from Gwen as possible, and then the storyline to kill her came along, and aside from its dramatic weight and becoming an important formative experience for the character, I don't think it's even a very good story. It effectively nukes the entirety of Peter Parker's social life, Gwen's dead, Harry disappears after being shocked by the death of his father, Peter pushes MJ away in his angst. Aunt May had already left Peter to be independent when she went off to house-sit for Doc Ock, and Flash had left the comic after going off to Vietnam to get Traumatized. I think the entire rest of that writer's run basically had no civilian life angle to it, just Spider-Man having to deal with a new death that he's being falsely blamed for.

Over time the comics grew out this weird saintly view of the character that only got way weirder when clones being made by Gwen's creepy stalker got involved, and when Marvel started to decide to bring the character back, they springboarded off of that just to make essentially totally different characters with the only commanalities being the name, "blonde", and "romantically involved with Peter Parker".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think non-superhero Gwen is just screwed because even if you, as the writer of some new adaptation, choose to include her and have no plans to kill her, everyone is going to be expecting her to die.

I think the last chance to redefine her as something else was either Spectacular Spider-Man (the show) or Ultimate Spider-Man (the comic). The show ended prematurely, and Bendis couldn't resist doing his own death of Gwen / clone saga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gwen I think also just suffers from the fact that Mary Jane is inexorably tied to being Peter's Lois Lane, no matter how much Marvel's comic division tries to walk that back. Like it's clear Marvel really despises the idea of Mary Jane and Peter as an 'inexorable' thing on the level of Lois and Clark, but every single form of Spider-Man media outside of the comics basically takes it as given aside from Amazing Spider-Man (and since Gwen died in #2 it probably would have happened there too if it had somehow continued.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Fine just pair Gwen and Paul. Boom problem solved - some marvel writer right now