Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wouldn't trust anything until the smoke clears, I can confirm several rockets made it into the Jerusalem airspace as I heard the explosions , I can't tell if any were hits or all intercepted.

E: Lapid, head of the opposition has been appraised of the situation by the military secretary to the PM and announced his full support for "Any harsh military response to the broad assault on the citizens of Israel"

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are the images of Hamas paragliders real or people muddying the waters?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

RandomPauI posted:

Are the images of Hamas paragliders real or people muddying the waters?

Official news sources here say its real

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Some graphic videos coming out. This is grim.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I've seen photos of at least 7 civilians gunned down on the street, there are probably way more.

People are already calling this the biggest security fiasco in the history of Israel. It seems like palestinian combatants pretty much just drove through unguarded fences and drove straight to Sderot and other cities with no resistance until they were already entrenched.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The major news sites don't confirm any of those shootings yet.
Soroka general hospital (the major hospital in the south region) reports about 80 wounded have been delivered in various conditions (some in severe condition).

E: That may have been the tenth explosion I heard today, HAMAS definitely planned well ahead.

Oh and the Bruno Mars concert has just been canceled, the real tragedy.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 7, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I saw 120 wounded in Haaretz. Really unclear what the gently caress is going on but clearly the biggest clusterfuck since the 1973 war.
Looks like it's gonna take a while to get a clear picture since there are towns with Hamas militants the IDF hasn't even reached yet.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 7, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

5 killed by rockets in Bedouin settlements, among them two 8 year old children.
IDF reports around 2,200 rocket launches and declares recruitments of tens of thousands towards a new operation "Swords of Iron"

E: Head of the Sha'ar HaNegev Regional Council killed in shooting with terrorists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sha%27ar_HaNegev_Regional_Council

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 7, 2023

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm seeing reports on discord that a military base was captured. How is an Israeli military base captured?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

RandomPauI posted:

I'm seeing reports on discord that a military base was captured. How is an Israeli military base captured?
Looks like a frontier outpost, but still. IDF caught with its pants completely down. Saw a video of a bunch of motorcycles advancing through a narrowly-cut gap in the border fence and ultimately just waltzing into a vehicle depot with a bunch of APCs to zero resistance.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

RandomPauI posted:

By a bunch of guys who charge in really fast and start shooting (a lot) with guns on a Jewish holiday.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:stare:Wow maybe I was right when I compared this event to the Tet Offensive.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

RandomPauI posted:

Easily it seems. No link directly to the video, just a description.

quote:

The Qassam Brigades, Hamas' military wing, has released footage purportedly showing their take over of an Israel military site near the border fence.

The video showed fighters exchanging fire with Israeli soldiers, who were later filmed dead.

Palestinian fighters were also filmed moving on foot inside the military site, which showed several unmanned tanks in the location.

Middle East Eye has not been able to independently verify the footage. The Israeli military has not commented on casualties or losses.
https://x.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1710559509150945505?s=20

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

By a bunch of guys who charge in really fast and start shooting (a lot) with guns on a Jewish holiday.
If a besieging army is reducing its readiness levels in order to celebrate a religious holiday, only to be shocked when the defenders sally forth, they've only got themselves to blame.

e: poo poo, yeah, fuller video shows the IDF soldiers who didn't get got literally running around in their underwear and a plate carrier were bunched up in their dormitory

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 7, 2023

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Cugel the Clever posted:

If a besieging army is reducing its readiness levels in order to celebrate a religious holiday, only to be shocked when the defenders sally forth, they've only got themselves to blame.

Literally the exact same as Yom Kippur, zero lessons have been learned

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

If any lessons would have been learned then any of the following governments would have found a better solution to the plight of the Palestinians.
You don't have to be a kind and loving humanitarian to figure out that having a large population of people you keep violently repressing is a major strategic problem.

E: dozens of IDF combat aircraft are reportedly attacking HAMAS targets on the Gaza strip.
I personally don't feel any safer for that.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 7, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
According to statements by both the Al-Aqsa Martyr Brigade and Hamas' political officials themselves, they're attributing this retaliation to a raid on the Al-Aqsa mosque. Extremely embarrassing situation for Israel; this exact incident sparked the last exchange, they absolutely should have been expecting a response. Arrogant or Moronic, who knows.

Hope every Israeli goon finds shelter, stay safe.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
The shoe is on the other foot and planted firmly in your loving nuts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Saw some extremely disturbing videos this morning. Israeli intelligence really dropped the ball on this one, I feel. How did they not see this coming? There are footage of Israeli soldiers still in bed, still in their underwear, all slaughtered like cattle.

An attack of this size and scope to occur with the element of complete surprise, I am appalled

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Seriously brutal. Big event. Here's a decent summary but not much is known at this time. Not sure why the embedded twitter link isn't working -

https://x.com/KimGhattas/status/1710553669538550060?s=20

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 7, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Neurolimal posted:

According to statements by both the Al-Aqsa Martyr Brigade and Hamas' political officials themselves, they're attributing this retaliation to a raid on the Al-Aqsa mosque. Extremely embarrassing situation for Israel; this exact incident sparked the last exchange, they absolutely should have been expecting a response. Arrogant or Moronic, who knows.

Sounds like they planned it all out, trained their troops, and just waited for Israel to do something stupid and then launch it.

No wonder Israel was surprised.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Comstar posted:

Sounds like they planned it all out, trained their troops, and just waited for Israel to do something stupid and then launch it.

No wonder Israel was surprised.

My thinking exectly.

Also: only now does the Speaker of the IDF confirm that assault have penetrated several settlements and IDF bases and are in control of at least three.
They were attacking simultaneously from the air, above ground, underground and the sea all at once! maybe we should hire these men to be the intelligence apparatus, they are obviously much better at it.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 7, 2023

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Can anyone recommend some good twitter's to follow for this?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The paraglider stuff is absolutely nuts. Saw two videos filmed by Israeli civilians of paraglides flying over towns and then an official Hamas video showing them training and launching armed paragliders.

Also a number of videos filmed by Israeli civilians of trucks loaded with fighters in the middle of Israeli residential areas shooting at passing cars and into houses; going door to door trying to get into houses; and Israeli police trying to clear Hamas fighters out of houses they've occupied.

Really concerned about what Likud is going to use this to justify doing to Palestinian civilians.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Really concerned about what Likud is going to use this to justify doing to Palestinian civilians.
Don't even need Likud at this point. The far right is so emboldened, it'll be a miracle if there isn't a fairly grassroots pogrom campaign.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Seen video of a few different Israeli soldiers bodies being paraded around. Even one killed would've likely resulted in a massive bombing campaign on Gaza. They will likely respond to this with an invasion. The videos coming out of this are not going to do anything to calm anyone down. Civilians are clearly being targeted and executed. Seems Hamas' plan was basically just to cause chaos and get a whole bunch of Palestinians killed in retaliation. Terrible days ahead. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What the hell is the goal exactly? There's no way they'll actually beat the IDF?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The way I see it, this can only be a precursor, Hamas is forcing the IDF to commit to a ground incursion at which point Hezbollah will start launching rockets from the north.

There are some folks who say that this whole thing is strongly linked to the Saudi-Iranian proxy war, it would seem like someone has been funding and training Hamas intensively and this doesn't seem like an opportunistic attack, there's something going on. Like, is it even a possibility that the IDF won't invade? the calculus bravado would seem to dictate that Israel will not only 'react' but that it is expected to overreact, which would not be in the direct interest of the citizens of Gaza unless there's another shoe waiting to drop.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

20 confirmed dead and 545 wounded, and this number is likely to rise since there are at least four Israeli towns with Hamas militants roaming freely, plus who knows how many slipped through.
As per Haaretz.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 7, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand the nations of Europe are declaring their support of Israel, I don't expect much criticism about the occupation to get through anytime soon.

Also some rumors of a coordinated cyberattack that I discount right now, I have trust in the cybersecurity sector at least.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 7, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What the hell is the goal exactly? There's no way they'll actually beat the IDF?

Get Israel to do a land assault into Gaza. It was a fiasco last time, and Hamas will be prepared to fight it again.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm seeing lots of reports of Israeli hostages being taken into Gaza. I guess this is to try and prevent Israel from flattening the city in response?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fuctifino posted:

I'm seeing lots of reports of Israeli hostages being taken into Gaza. I guess this is to try and prevent Israel from flattening the city in response?

given the way they're also showing dead civilians and not caring I think Israel may take a Russian attitude towards the hostages in their response

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Drive Israel to go mask off, undermining its already declining support among publics abroad?

Any live streams from international news out of Gaza yet?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Edit: Eh, I'm very sleepy an expressing myself poorly, can't delete this, but best not to engage.
TL:DR I don't think the hostages will matter, and if they do weigh in on Israel's calculus at all, I think it will have the opposite effect as to what was likely intended by their capture.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 7, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Taking IDF soldiers hostage accomplishes the exact opposite of that; they're not very keen on more Gilad Shalit situations. Especially if they come back to say "yeah we ate hummus and listened to football broadcasts".

It's likely the same reason as usual; exchanges in return for Palestinians held in prisons.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Got an alert from the police about a possible infiltration from Beth Lechem, my building is now locked down.
Hopefully that's an overreaction, but I can't tell.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
According to ynet Hamas are claiming 53 Israelis were taken captive and are held in Gaza, among them soldiers. like, holy smokes. If it's even half the amount.

Some awful poo poo is about to go down.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

By popular demand posted:

Got an alert from the police about a possible infiltration from Beth Lechem, my building is now locked down.
Hopefully that's an overreaction, but I can't tell.

Hopefully its true and palestinians win the day

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/haneefsaeed/status/1710603609606656498