Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Paracelsus posted:

You would think that the distributor would at least care enough about the marketability of the characters to not put down the translated meaning of the character's name instead of the name itself.

Executives were too busy drooling over the thought of not having to pay anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

odds are an english speaker never actually looked at it. jp company outsources the tl to another japanese company, japanese company knows how to plug the script into google tl and time it to the episode, episode ships.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I looked into the hoihoi San stuff and unfortunately it is not mecha but tiny androids (gynoids?) instead.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
True ☝️ I misled you with a loose definition of mecha.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

I for one am shocked that the series that doesn't even bother to name its characters has bland characterization.
Hey now. Be Mine, Hero! had some great characterization, and they're all generically named.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

before i went out to dinner i watched about five minutes of whatever the romcom is that came out today and the kingdoms of ruin and both seemed bad so i'm not going to bother continuing

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Watched the first episode of Undead Unluck and enjoyed it. Seems like a fun shonen.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Re-read all of Shangri La Frontier cause of the Anime, it slaps hard, I hope it does well and they keep up a good anime budget on it because some of the bits further along would absolutely SLAP in an anime.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't say it's good but Let Me Check the Walkthrough is my kinda of middle of the road especially since it's based of a Chinese comic it's apeing more of that game style for the Game in Isekai

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i REALLY wish bullbuster looked better. that monster looked really bad. REALLY bad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How bad we talking. Like that one show with the giant grey pig demon thing from last season that was amazingly hilariously bad, or just "general lovely cgi" bad

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Watched the first episode of Undead Unluck and enjoyed it. Seems like a fun shonen.

Does it have another name? I can't seem to find it on any of the major sub groups.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Invictus posted:

How bad we talking. Like that one show with the giant grey pig demon thing from last season that was amazingly hilariously bad, or just "general lovely cgi" bad

It looks like a potato with legs & teeth

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brutal Garcon posted:

Does it have another name? I can't seem to find it on any of the major sub groups.

No that's the official title, it's licensed to Disney so wherever you get your anime from them in your region.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo lol.
It’s like it came out of a N64 game.
I say it’s akin to a naked chicken with fangs

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah it sucks cause the show is at least okay otherwise

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That's Rufus from Kim Possible you don't fool me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Molerat men, come up from the Underneath to steal young women with promises of riches and fancy mud mansions with all the latest designer appliances.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Daigo keeps losing me with the POV character being the king of assholes and the rest of the crew being perfect. I'm wondering if giving it the third episode chance or plain dropping it giving the crowded season.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GateOfD posted:

Holy poo poo lol.
It’s like it came out of a N64 game.
I say it’s akin to a naked chicken with fangs

N64 couldn't handle nearly that many polygons.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SlowBloke posted:

Daigo keeps losing me with the POV character being the king of assholes and the rest of the crew being perfect. I'm wondering if giving it the third episode chance or plain dropping it giving the crowded season.

I'm guessing that the events at the end of episode 2 will make Shun see Daigo and Yuki in a new light.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese firefighting dept was co-funding the show, it's pretty much one long ad for them

Southern Cassowary posted:

before i went out to dinner i watched about five minutes of whatever the romcom is that came out today and the kingdoms of ruin and both seemed bad so i'm not going to bother continuing

Kingdoms Of Ruin was pretty hosed up. It's set in a quasi-dystopic/dieselpunk future where witches used to hold all the power (but were a benevolent force who aided humanity) but have been overtaken by technology and the humans are violently hunting them all down, running them to ground like dogs because they're jealous of their magical powers. The main character is a human boy who was raised by a witch but when the humans capture them they force him to watch as they strip her naked in front of all the TV cameras and people taking photos with their smart phones, humiliate her and make her beg for his life, then the world's president shoots her in the face, a firing squad riddles her with bullets and an executioner cuts her head off with an axe. Also there's a whole lot of young witches in magic-cancelling shackles in a lovely prison and they're forcing them into sexual slavery with the justification "Hey it costs a lot of money to run these witch extermination programs so it's only right that we profit off you like this." It's all ridiculously over the top.
Judging from the trailer I guess they're trying to justify the main character's inevitable ultraviolent magic-fueled vendetta against the rest of humanity.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Kingdoms Of Ruin was pretty hosed up.

i got the sense that it was trying to do dark political intrigue and did not have the writing chops to follow through on that at all in the five minutes i did watch and it's nice to know i was absolutely correct in this assumption

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's Ragna Crimson with better character design.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Sounds like a show I do not want to watch in the slightest, thanks for the warning!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wouldn't say it's good but Let Me Check the Walkthrough is my kinda of middle of the road especially since it's based of a Chinese comic it's apeing more of that game style for the Game in Isekai
I had no expectations but it managed to make me sensibly chuckle a few times. The animation isn't great (though some of the backgrounds are pretty) but certainly fits "literally in a 3D RPG."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Faraway Paladin S2 ep1 is now out, yay

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

haypliss posted:

It's Ragna Crimson with better character design.

If we have to do a comparison, please don't forget to mention the other two major features of Kingdom of Ruin that Ragna Crimson lacks: the raging ever-present misogyny and the gross sexual assaults. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

If we have to do a comparison, please don't forget to mention the other two major features of Kingdom of Ruin that Ragna Crimson lacks: the raging ever-present misogyny and the gross sexual assaults. :v:

Also, Ragna Crimson is less about wallowing in the grimdark hosed-upedness of the world and more about batshit insane Dragonball-style human-on-dragon violence.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Undead Unluck episode 1: the setting and tone remind me a lot of Chainsaw Man (but without the animation budget) with happy-go-lucky but extremely violent and hosed up characters that get into crazy gravity-defying brawls featuring ridiculous fountains of blood gushing over an entire city block. In this world there's a tiny number of special people called Negators who have a unique and dangerous supernatural skill which negates the natural laws of the world. Lead character Izumo has a special skill Unluck which causes anyone who touches her skin-to-skin to soon die in a violent accident which has naturally ruined her entire life. The show starts with her deciding to finally end her life but she is interrupted by a muscular unnamed man who has the special skill Undead which makes him immortal and he can instantly heal from any wound, he's pretty much Deadpool except he heals much much faster, and also he's naked pretty much all the time because he can only regenerate his body and not his clothes and they are soon targeted by a shadowy secret organisation of people with equally mysterious supernatural skills.

The first episode pretty much sets the scene and is a lot of fun, even though it has pretty heavy themes of suicide, loneliness and grief. If you enjoyed the hosed up violence and hosed up characters in Chainsaw Man this'll probably float your boat as well.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
how disney, i guess i give ep1 a go

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Having no idea how these diverge they were just doing dark revenge setups. If RC is going to walk away from that edge then that kind of leaves a space for Kingdoms to stick around. I'm maybe naively assuming it lead with shock that it won't need to maintain because the revenge has been well and truly justified by this point. I suppose the one other thing that struck me is Kingdoms could've used a double premiere like RC, to actually allow some catharsis with Adonis' prison break.

Lt. Lizard posted:

This would be a fair separation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GateOfD posted:

how disney, i guess i give ep1 a go
disney seems to be paying no attention to what they license. they had the recent black rock shooter anime and that was 90% women describing the graphic murders they wanted to do on each other.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GateOfD posted:

Faraway Paladin S2 ep1 is now out, yay

Oh, the halfling bard is in there. Thought she was a really interesting character in the manga. Hmm, wonder if it's worth actually watching S1 to catch up. It looked pretty bad.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
its good

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hooray!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crunchyroll picking up the aged up Yes Precure 5 sequel.

Nobody had made any announcements about it so I was worried it was gonna slip through the cracks.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
are they still doing magical girl stuff as office ladies?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hikikomari Kyuuketsuki no Monmon (Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess) episode 1: a young noble-born vampire Terakomari has always hated the taste of blood and refused to drink it which meant she's grown up to be extremely weak and unable to use magic, and as a result she decided to become a shut-in and avoid everyone else for the last three years. However, the Vampire Empress has a thing for cute girls so Terakomari suddenly finds herself promoted to be one of the Seven Crimson Lords, supreme leaders of the vampire army and candidates to become the next Empress. In this world no one ever dies permanently and every nation is eternally at war with each other for dominance, fighting endless battles where the fallen come back to life at the end of the day ready for the next bout. Crimson Lords must keep winning battles or they'll be put to death, but Terakomari's battalions are full of the most violent screw-ups in the entire army and if they discover that she's actually incredibly weak they'll kill her immediately. Not only does she need to keep inspiring them to win, she needs to keep tricking them into thinking she's actually a vicious badass .... but her bragging is reported by the newspapers and now every other nation is gunning for her.

Episode 1 was fine but not great, with the big battle mostly happening off screen so there wasn't much action at all. They haven't really introduced most of the cast and I guess a lot is going to depend on her relationship with her lieutenants and how that evolves during their adventures. The whole "no one ever dies permanently" aspect is a bit weird and pretty much destroys all the stakes entirely, if her troops decide to kill her that'll be annoying and painful but only temporarily. The part where she immediately impressed her troops by accidentally killing a guy in a fairly brutal manner but then pretending she did it on purpose was funny, if they keep thinking up novel ways to do that the show might have legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Crunchyroll picking up the aged up Yes Precure 5 sequel.

Nobody had made any announcements about it so I was worried it was gonna slip through the cracks.

The first episode’s already up in fact, it’s not too bad so far