Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
For which system will you be getting Assassin's Creed: Mirage?
This poll is closed.
PC 14 18.67%
PS5 5 6.67%
XSX 3 4.00%
PS4 1 1.33%
XBO 1 1.33%
I am going wait for the Switch port 51 68.00%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i watched VHS 85 and sadly it sucked. idk why the horror thread loves it so much because it fails both on a conceptual level and as a found footage anthology for me. the acting and cinematography felt very unnatural, the stories took predictable turns except for the one that REALLY SHOULD NOT HAVE lol. the best short was the first, and the second would have been nearly as good if it wasn't ruined by its dumbfuck ending. the rest, bad bad bad.

oh well. they can't all be winners, and in this case, they were mostly losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

I hope this stormtrooper is all right
https://i.imgur.com/qN8u7sf.mp4

Get well soon

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i watched VHS 85 and sadly it sucked. idk why the horror thread loves it so much because it fails both on a conceptual level and as a found footage anthology for me. the acting and cinematography felt very unnatural, the stories took predictable turns except for the one that REALLY SHOULD NOT HAVE lol. the best short was the first, and the second would have been nearly as good if it wasn't ruined by its dumbfuck ending. the rest, bad bad bad.

Oh I didn't realise there was a new VHS out! Even if it's not great I still enjoy seeing the silly paths they go down to justify these things being recorded, need to check it out :D

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

i can't believe that series managed to continue after viral, although i think the same thing about the SAW films, so who knows

in fairness, the V/H/S series has always been a real exercise in dartboard film-making, where you've got a bunch of poorly conceived or poorly filmed ideas mixed in with genuine heartstoppers; 2's got the drop dead hilarious "the only way to protect yourself from ghosts is by looking at boobers" skit, but the pagan cult segment isn't half bad and slumber party alien abduction is a genuinely excellent piece of horror that's maybe only rivalled by the original mcpherson tape as far as found footage alien abduction horror goes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think VHS 94 is the one that's the most consistent in quality front to back, and then 99 is not as good but still decent and is better for leaning into the comedic side

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can’t get into found footage stuff for some reason. I just start thinking why would someone be filming this and it takes me out of it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fondly remembering the time i sat down as a teen and watched fire in the sky in the dead of night thinking it was just gonna be an eerie alien flick, and then the last ten minutes of the film rounded the corner like a loaded bazooka and gave me nightmares for a month

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This isn't the one I was thinking of but it's closer and a classic freeware. https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_co...eature=emb_logo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hatty posted:

I can’t get into found footage stuff for some reason. I just start thinking why would someone be filming this and it takes me out of it

Usually because it's an excuse to be as dogshit at making a movie as possible

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the whole "i can't stop filming my imminent demise" thing is one of the components of the genre you have to be willing to play ball with, and it's understandable if someone finds it a bit silly, but i suspect your general aversion to them is that the overwhelming majority of them are structured terribly as a consequence of them being the prime target for amateur filmmakers or teams on a severe budget

blair witch worked as well as it did because there was a genuine sincerity to it: the actors, specifically selected for their improv ability, got what amounted to cliffsnotes for the script and had to wing it the majority of the shoot. this led to moments of dread and terror that felt real in a way that a group of film students of varying capabilities or a studio just trying to make a movie for under $1 million aren't usually going to be able to replicate, and you need that sincere performance to give weight to a film that's otherwise going to mostly be people wandering around spooky locations getting increasingly anxious and irate

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 7, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

hatty posted:

They solve this by having a character ask the cameraman: "are you still filming?!"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's honestly a completely believable scenario in a modern setting where everyone has a high quality film camera that can double as a flashlight and fit snugly into a front coat pocket

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I suppose now all you need is a good reason for someone to have a gopro strapped to their head and you can just say they forgot to switch it off.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hatty posted:

This except any reality tv

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Psych has an episode thats a Blair Witch parody and the characters keep getting annoyed at the camera guy's refusal to stop filming.

"The story needs to be told"
"What do you mean?"
"I don't know, people always say it in these kinds of movies"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

fondly remembering the time i sat down as a teen and watched fire in the sky in the dead of night thinking it was just gonna be an eerie alien flick, and then the last ten minutes of the film rounded the corner like a loaded bazooka and gave me nightmares for a month

This scene in Communion as a kid, and then for months thinking Greys were real and always hiding behind things and then quickly disappearing from sight when you tried looking for them
https://i.imgur.com/3YGdaf6.mp4

And it's great cause you never quite see the drat thing, but 'just enough of it' to scare the poo poo out of you.

But yeah don't watch Fire In The Sky if you don't like pure nightmare fuel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hatty posted:

this is why Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File is the best found footage/mocumentary stuff around. They put a lot of thought into what kind of person would insist on continuing to film while encountering horrors beyond comprehension, and the result is the best horror movie hero of all time, Producer Kudo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does Producer Kudo kick the poo poo out of demons?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Ace Combat: Jpeg Dog 7 is on sale 80% off right now. Have sung it's praises before in this thread so if you're after some good dumb fun, it's worth a buy at this price.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

frytechnician posted:

Ace Combat: Jpeg Dog 7 is on sale 80% off right now. Have sung it's praises before in this thread so if you're after some good dumb fun, it's worth a buy at this price.

I played the base game on my xbone that i no longer own. Is this dlc worth playing at all? and the top gun stuff is just a skin and some planes?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bone emulator posted:

I played the base game on my xbone that i no longer own. Is this dlc worth playing at all? and the top gun stuff is just a skin and some planes?

The DLC missions(Unexpected Visitor, Anchorhead Raid, Ten Million Relief Plan) are fantastic. Top Gun is just skins & planes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Infinitum posted:

Does Producer Kudo kick the poo poo out of demons?

yes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

There’s a logic to it, Spawn was an elite army guy before he became Spawn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did he respawn into Spawn

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sounds like I need to watch it!

Gripweed posted:

There’s a logic to it, Spawn was an elite army guy before he became Spawn.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'd much rather Call of Duty be a ridiculous Fortnite-style pop culture mishmash than an earnest military propaganda vehicle

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Infinitum posted:

Where's my Martha Stewart skin ?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

External Organs posted:

Where's my Martha Stewart skin ?

Sorry, best they can do is

Volte posted:

I'd much rather Call of Duty be a ridiculous Fortnite-style pop culture mishmash than an earnest military propaganda vehicle

Call of Duty wants to be Fortnite while Fortnite wants to be Roblox. We live in dark times.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

Did he respawn into Spawn

Literally yes. He died and was sent back to earth as Spawn.

Infinitum posted:

They are extremely good. The first couple movies are more standard J-Horror fare, with hints that what they’re seeing are only parts of something larger. That screencap is from the sixth film in the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Volte posted:

Now it's both!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Did he do a CoD rap too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw4gbmqQ3cM

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

More like DANK TIMEZ

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Volte posted:

What if it could be both!

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Now that they're done remaking Modern Warfares and the WW2 game got a real tepid response, I wonder if they're going to try future stuff again.

Then when the playerbase riots, they can reboot modern warfare again , I guess

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bone emulator posted:

Now that they're done remaking Modern Warfares and the WW2 game got a real tepid response, I wonder if they're going to try future stuff again.

Then when the playerbase riots, they can reboot modern warfare again , I guess

Does COD even need a SP campaign anymore? The perpetual service model seems to be working well for them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Does COD even need a SP campaign anymore? The perpetual service model seems to be working well for them.

my general assumption is that their metrics show significant enough engagement with the singleplayer component that they're afraid of losing sales if they don't include them; i'd imagine there's a core audience that buys it either solely for the SP or for SP + zombies without interacting directly with the game's PVP element

this isn't a bad strategy, especially if you're looking to onboard new players: SF6 did it with world tour, and just including that alone probably brought in a raft of new players who never would've touched a fighting game if it didn't have an element they would be at least guaranteed to get some value out of, even if they never ended up hitting multiplayer

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Looking at the achievement stats, I'd say no, but they wouldn't keep making elaborate single player campaigns if it didn't make financial sense.

I think the achievements show like 30% of players even touch the campaign, but given the stupid numbers cod does, that's a ton of people.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

there's probably some kind of business theory that removing the SP component, even if it's not being directly engaged with by the majority of users, reduces the prestige of the title and gives a negative impression of it as "declining", which might drive away either sales or future investment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't COD: BLOPS 4 multiplayer only? How did that go?