Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also the legibility isn’t great now with the backgrounds, especially the cloudy one. Just too much going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've switched to using the Windy complication. It's not perfect but at least it consistently loads data. And it gives a quick view of the forecast for the next few hours (and the next several days if you want to spin the crown a whole bunch).

No in depth details though like humidity or air quality though. If I'm in a situation where I want that info I pull out the phone. But it does let you watch an animation of weather radar which I enjoy more than I should.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

smr posted:

Fuckin’ hell… complications are broken again this morning.

This feels like something somebody should’ve noticed before release? I gotta imagine weather comps are among the most-used, and this is only in their big new billboard feature new face for this OS and watch? Sucks man.
The big world clock complication was broken for all of WatchOS 9. And I keep seeing reports that iOS 17 turns your phone into an oven when you're just doing things like a simple phone call. I'd say Apple's QA testing is even below Microsoft's Windows 8 era bullshit testing.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

The big world clock complication was broken for all of WatchOS 9. And I keep seeing reports that iOS 17 turns your phone into an oven when you're just doing things like a simple phone call. I'd say Apple's QA testing is even below Microsoft's Windows 8 era bullshit testing.

Yeah, the thermals on these redesigned 15 Pros seem less efficient than the 14s were too. Toss in how garbo the finewoven cases are and Tim has finally achieved his dream of destroying what Steve built.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So I updated to WatchOS 10.1 forgetting about the whole weather complication issue and of course when I went out I was puzzled by why it was broken before realizing it was that issue everyone had posted about.

I did the trick and it came back... it's gone in and out of working since then.

The bug has also affected the "My Faces" section in the Watch App. I use the Modular Watch Face, it has a top left, date, middle, bottom left, bottom middle and bottom right area. When I was looking to fix the issue with the Weather App I noticed that everything except the date and the bottom middle complication had disappeared. After I did the toggle 24 hours fix, the bottom right complication is still missing for me. Hope they fix that soon.

----

Also, in regards to the finger tapping in the Accessibility Settings. I finally figured out I needed to get the watches attention for it to work. I assumed I could just raise my wrist. Even after I figured this out it still is incredibly difficult to do all the finger actions.

There are four actions you can make with your hand: a single finger tap, a double finger tap, making a fist, and then making a double fist. it's set so finger taps go forward in the UI, double tap goes back, making a fist is like tapping the selected ui interface and the double fist is to bring up this menu of the buttons that you can press on your watch.

Finger tapping is still somewhat inconsistent. Sometimes I tap my index finger to my thumb, other times I have to use my middle finger and thumb. And sometimes it just doesn't register at all.

Also even if I'm lucky and I'm able to use the finger tapping to move through the interface, whenever I try to hover over one of those back arrows, I have never been able to select it by making a fist. I'll just be straining my hand just to get it to activate but with no luck.

Which leads me to the next situation, which is if I want to go back to the Watch Face.. I basically have to do a double fist to bring up the watch button menu, then make another fist to select the "Press Crown Dial" button. As far as I can tell this is the only way to go back to the Watch relatively easily.

It also does seem to drain the battery faster as people have suggested it did. I'm going tomorrow to the Apple Store to try out a Series 9 to see if its "Algorithms" handle it better.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Those side indicators in the Modular Ultra watch face, can you select which metrics to show, or is it just either seconds, altitude or depth?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just those 3. Or off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kinda half-rear end kind of thing then.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fedule posted:

I'm still incandescent that it takes like eight taps to consume four pieces of current weather data (eg, temps, humidity, wind, UV) when they used to all be on a single scrollable panel together unless you fill an entire face with weather complications (and then they don't work lol). They aren't thinking these things through on the level of how real people use them.

It feels like many “features” Apple is adding on their products in recent years is some 4d multi year chess game to add pieces for a sticky multi device ecosystem, instead of what could be actually useful

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Sanity check, is it normal for apple watch to still be using tritone for notifications? I get rebound on every other device but my watch.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I have a question about Apple Watch. How is the fitness and health tracking portion of it? I’ve used a Fitbit for a few years but the quality of the products has gone to poo poo and also the most recent app update removed some things and just generally sucks. I have an iPhone and iPad so am Apple Watch seems like an obvious replacement, but I’m not particularly interested in most of the smart watch features, really just the health and fitness tracking. But, the recommended models are a lot more expensive than other options and I’m unsure if it’s worth the price point if I’m only interested in a bit of the functionality, especially if the functionality is more of an afterthought. Thanks and appreciate any insight.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s probably the best out of any Watch, unless you want a Garmin that has a weeklong battery life

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I have a question about Apple Watch. How is the fitness and health tracking portion of it? I’ve used a Fitbit for a few years but the quality of the products has gone to poo poo and also the most recent app update removed some things and just generally sucks. I have an iPhone and iPad so am Apple Watch seems like an obvious replacement, but I’m not particularly interested in most of the smart watch features, really just the health and fitness tracking. But, the recommended models are a lot more expensive than other options and I’m unsure if it’s worth the price point if I’m only interested in a bit of the functionality, especially if the functionality is more of an afterthought. Thanks and appreciate any insight.

Fitbit to Apple Watch is like going from a $500 MSRP HP craptop to a MacBook Air

you’re gonna love it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s probably the best out of any Watch, unless you want a Garmin that has a weeklong battery life

Best generally or specifically for the fitness functions? Specifically how is it for running/biking? Is it pretty solid at heart rate and have a pretty tight gps? One of the reasons I’m wanting to get away from the Fitbit is the gps seems to have gone to hell in the last year. I don’t need a battery that long as long as it’ll generally stay charged if I put it on the charger for 20 minutes a day

Ok Comboomer posted:

Fitbit to Apple Watch is like going from a $500 MSRP HP craptop to a MacBook Air

you’re gonna love it

Lol well poo poo

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Even if you only use the watch for health tracking, changing tracks on your phone while it’s in your pocket/etc, and answering the occasional message, you’re gonna love it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only downside is the nagging about standing and breathing and ring filling. It'll take a few days to set up everything just how you like it to minimize the fuss.

I think they tweaked the rest parameters for "outdoor hiking" with the latest watchos too. It used to be the best way to go for a walk without getting the "are you done?" popup because it was pretty generous with how long you could stand still.. at least five minutes. But since the update I've had it ping me when I'm hiking straight up a 45 degree slope and my heart is about to explode. Read the room, apple watch!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I still wouldn’t say an Apple Watch is a necessary purchase for me, or any fitness watch, but it’s far and away best on the market for its use case. Miles above Fitbit. Idk why folks would buy that unless they are purposefully paying for a simplified device, which many are.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The heart rate and GPS tracking and all that is good. If you want overly detailed analysis and comparison of these things, this guy has you covered: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/09/apple-watch-series-9-in-depth-review-a-sports-focus.html

There used to be a significant gap, where Garmin watches were notably more accurate in their GPS tracking, but it's narrowed a lot. Wrist-based optical heart rate isn't going to be perfect on any watch, but it's also improved over time. If you're some kind of fitness maniac or trail ultra runner, there's still an argument to be made for the competition, but for normal person workouts and general smartwatch use, the apple watch is terrific.

One thing I wish Apple would steal from Garmin is the LED flashlight. Using the screen as a light is OK, but the way Garmin does it owns.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I never thought I’d want one in gold stainless steel with the matching Milanese loop but I do, its lowkey the best one

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The heart rate and GPS tracking and all that is good. If you want overly detailed analysis and comparison of these things, this guy has you covered: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/09/apple-watch-series-9-in-depth-review-a-sports-focus.html

There used to be a significant gap, where Garmin watches were notably more accurate in their GPS tracking, but it's narrowed a lot. Wrist-based optical heart rate isn't going to be perfect on any watch, but it's also improved over time. If you're some kind of fitness maniac or trail ultra runner, there's still an argument to be made for the competition, but for normal person workouts and general smartwatch use, the apple watch is terrific.

One thing I wish Apple would steal from Garmin is the LED flashlight. Using the screen as a light is OK, but the way Garmin does it owns.

Thanks for the link! That answered nearly all my questions! I really appreciate it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My wishlist thing for the workout app is location tracking. Like I do long walks with the dog at home and track those so it would be nice if that was first on the list when I was home.

Then when I’m at the gym whatever workout I was doing would be first then too.

It’s a minor thing but it would be handy

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think it'd be pretty neat if Apple would Sherlock Gentler Streak and generally just introduce literally any nuance into their long term fitness tracking. I love Gentler's theory of TRIMP For Normal People, especially now that I am basically through my weight loss stage and into fitness maintenance although I think it should acknowledge kcals measured outside of workouts and that the subscription is a little much for what it actually gives you (which is the shocking ability to see the history of your streak and specific workout length suggestions as opposed to simply working out until the dot moves into the Good Zone and stopping before it hits the Bad Zone). I find Apple's rings kind of psychotic as an attempt to actually guide anyone towards anything that could be called fitness, like, meeting an unchanging arbitrary kcal goal every single day is an approach that serves literally nobody, whether they're a layabout or a literal pro athlete, like, it is astonishing that Apple has all this gear and software and doesn't seem to have any interest in suggesting to someone how much to work out, or at least acknowledging that rest days, injuries, illnesses and holidays exist. What is even with the stand and exercise goals anyway? Stand I at least get as far as posture is concerned but it seems disconnected from the rest of fitness and again the actual metric of clock hours with one continuous minute per day seems to me to be wildly arbitrary. If I were in charge I would close the rings... permanently.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

like, meeting an unchanging arbitrary kcal goal every single day is an approach that serves literally nobody,

Oh no it changes and it can pretty quickly get out of control lol

It’s a dumb system

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, it should guide you into an adaptive workout plan, factoring in recovery and poo poo. They collect enough fuckin data to at least fake it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah there’s like zero recovery and it’s number always must go up lol

Yes I realize you can change that number but it could do a much better job at what it does.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Just let us do group activity challenges. How on earth is this still not a feature 9 years into it

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

What’s up with Live Activities? My Watch tells me that workouts should now mirror on my phone. It worked twice but not since then.

It’s not an issue with Live Activities per se as they work with third party apps…

Cross posting from the iPhone thread as I got no replies but anyone having inconsistency with baked in Apple Live Activities?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Be honest, who read that diatribe?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eightysixed posted:

Be honest, who read that diatribe?

i dropped out after Sherlock as a verb. I'm not tryina Sherlock what that means.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fedule posted:

I think it'd be pretty neat if Apple would Sherlock Gentler Streak and generally just introduce literally any nuance into their long term fitness tracking. I love Gentler's theory of TRIMP For Normal People, especially now that I am basically through my weight loss stage and into fitness maintenance although I think it should acknowledge kcals measured outside of workouts and that the subscription is a little much for what it actually gives you (which is the shocking ability to see the history of your streak and specific workout length suggestions as opposed to simply working out until the dot moves into the Good Zone and stopping before it hits the Bad Zone). I find Apple's rings kind of psychotic as an attempt to actually guide anyone towards anything that could be called fitness, like, meeting an unchanging arbitrary kcal goal every single day is an approach that serves literally nobody, whether they're a layabout or a literal pro athlete, like, it is astonishing that Apple has all this gear and software and doesn't seem to have any interest in suggesting to someone how much to work out, or at least acknowledging that rest days, injuries, illnesses and holidays exist. What is even with the stand and exercise goals anyway? Stand I at least get as far as posture is concerned but it seems disconnected from the rest of fitness and again the actual metric of clock hours with one continuous minute per day seems to me to be wildly arbitrary. If I were in charge I would close the rings... permanently.

Am I having a stroke?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sorry, I figured more people in a dedicated Apple thread would know about Sherlocking.

Also, TRIMP (TRaining IMPulse) is a set of algorithms that takes workout data from fitness trackers and computes values to represent your overall state of fitness. It produces a staggering amount of incomprehensible data that's great for literal pro athletes who need to powergame so they hit peak form on competition day, and nerdery for everyone else. Gentler Streak is a well liked but somewhat divisive app that tries to abstract TRIMP into something comprehensible to normal people who just want to stay or get fit (which basically means it tries to show you when you're doing the optimal amount of working out and when you're doing too much, and also recommends when you should take rest days). The biggest objection to it people have is that when they start it up without an existing data history it skews extremely cautious and tells you to rest all the time, which is understandable if you know how it works but not really an ideal first time user experience.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 4, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lmao at that rear end in a top hat quote from Jobs. What a fuckhead (unsurprisingly).

That said, I don’t think third-party fitness apps will get hosed over anytime soon, given how narrow the scope of tracking is on the watch so far, since the years they’re focusing on it. The fitness nuts paying for apps to begin with wouldn’t switch to native solutions until Apple managed a proven track record. The new cycling power feature is supposedly already way off in its estimates, so I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
My new, uh, watch watch came today and I want to put my series 5 out to pasture but keep it as a night watch, mostly because the alarm function wakes me up without waking my partner.

What should I do to strip it down and remove functions because I don’t want to use it for payments, fitness tracking or anything but sleep.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

“Erase Apple Watch and Content Settings” is basically a Factory Reset, so just do that and use the alarm.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m okay with that, but if I want to get another one down the road when they refresh will it lose all my data?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you’d be boned with that.
But why even strip it down or whatever? Throw the thing on Airplane Mode and there’s your alarm :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Quantified Scientist has been hauling around the S9 and the U2 for plenty of bike rides across Vienna, and turns out the U2 has a bit worse tracking accuracy than the S9, despite the Ultra having the fancy dual band GPS. That's sure odd.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

Quantified Scientist has been hauling around the S9 and the U2 for plenty of bike rides across Vienna, and turns out the U2 has a bit worse tracking accuracy than the S9, despite the Ultra having the fancy dual band GPS. That's sure odd.

But ultra 2 has wayfarer and modular ultra so who really wins

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have an Ultra 1 and love it. I've been using it with a cell plan (only $5 extra on Verizon) and it's been really awesome to just wear the watch and throw some airpods into your pocket or pack and you're all set.

Especially for outdoors stuff since the watch is so durable. Seriously, I have piledrived this thing into bare metal posts and poo poo on numerous occasions and I cannot find a single mark, it's mint.

The Ultra 2 tempts me because it addresses the poo poo I actually wanted: a super bright screen, native Siri for when you don't have the phone by you, faster processor. Don't get me wrong, it's stupid to upgrade from the Ultra 1 to 2, even if I am somehow the one person who would appreciate the features, but I do want it.

The extra lumens on the Ultra 2 really got me thinking- is there a way to put the Ultra on max brightness at all times?

I don't care if I'm not using it, sometimes I just want the max brightness even if it will last for 4 hours or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder what percentage of Ultras even have a cell plan attached.