Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I don’t get why they were trying to make him first pairing other than some vain attempt to get Dahlin and Power both on the left side

Clifton isn’t rusty. He’s awful. Just wow. Three goals against all on him. Every time the play goes near him they lose possession. He even checks guys into his own net and causes goals against his goalie had saved. It’s comical

well whatever they're doing they need to get him the gently caress away from Dahlin because he is getting buried right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nemec is really cool

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals waived Nic Aube-Kubel after signing him to a $1.225M contract extension last season. If he goes unclaimed they'll have a small dead cap hit.

Kind of weird. I didn't expect a guy who just got re-signed to be waived but I'm not unhappy about it since it means some of the younger guys will get a shot. Carbery has seemed great so far but it's still just preseason so I'm not getting my hopes up too high given the roster is closer to a lottery team than a playoff team.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol Jeff Carter scored god dammit lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

The Capitals waived Nic Aube-Kubel after signing him to a $1.225M contract extension last season. If he goes unclaimed they'll have a small dead cap hit.

Kind of weird. I didn't expect a guy who just got re-signed to be waived but I'm not unhappy about it since it means some of the younger guys will get a shot. Carbery has seemed great so far but it's still just preseason so I'm not getting my hopes up too high given the roster is closer to a lottery team than a playoff team.

it looks like (according to capfriendly) the capitals are in some sort of cap hell so it might be more of a money move than a roster one

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it looks like (according to capfriendly) the capitals are in some sort of cap hell so it might be more of a money move than a roster one

Edmundson and Pacioretty will start on LTIR so I don't think that's it? With them on LTIR they should have plenty of space.

Unless they have to be cap compliant before they can put those dudes on LTIR. Not exactly sure how it works.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I'd imagine the idea that his salary is too high to be claimed. Its one of the reason end of roster guys get just over the amount that can be fully waived or 2x800k ish deals

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I do believe I am going to enjoy this powerplay

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also regarding NHL24 chat: I haven't bought a game since 21, I usually space em out a few years. It's fun but basically the same game with a different soundtrack and more accurate rosters.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Clifton isn’t rusty. He’s awful. Just wow. Three goals against all on him. Every time the play goes near him they lose possession. He even checks guys into his own net and causes goals against his goalie had saved. It’s comical

Yeah, like I was saying, he's not that good and he went from playing on the best defensive team in the league to the worst. If Buffalo is realistic and uses him on the bottom pairing or maaaaaybe the second, he shouldn't be a total anchor. But boy is he bad. He looks fun while he's doing it though. That guy loves to hit.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I do believe I am going to enjoy this powerplay

Pens looked very fun tonight. So uh yeah lets go fun!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens looked very fun tonight. So uh yeah lets go fun!

A Rheostatics occurance in the Flames - Canucks game and we are all the better for hearing it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Love to watch my goalie that the team rushed into being their #1 guy give up seven goals

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Who could have foreseen this

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Love to watch my goalie that the team rushed into being their #1 guy give up seven goals

"I thought it was 3-1, it's 4-3? I should get my eyes checked."

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Who could have foreseen this

Please save this for Laine tyvm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm actually ok with more teams provided Bettman never dies thus holding his no more playoff teams mantra cause the play in would suck rear end

I think a 1 game play in round system would be fine, although it would probably end up being best of 3.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I think a 1 game play in round system would be fine, although it would probably end up being best of 3.

I would imagine a playoff expansion would similar if not identical to the version we saw in the bubble.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

I would imagine a playoff expansion would similar if not identical to the version we saw in the bubble.

Agreed, and honestly I really liked the play in round bubble year.

Granted, it was after months of no hockey. Obviously wouldn’t want it to be that many teams for the play in either.

That bubble play in was a fun week though, 1 week of hockey from morning to night, and the quality varied wildly by how teams prepared.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

That bubble play in was a fun week though, 1 week of hockey from morning to night, and the quality varied wildly by how teams prepared.

I agree it was fun but I wouldn't want it to be a regular thing. I'm not opposed to a play in because it works in baseball but I think it needs to be considered carefully. The bubble was terrible hockey it was just nice to have something to watch after months stuck inside doing nothing. Plus hockey at the height of summer was pretty great.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1710453361550459364?t=DDHrOaDPp89Mbjl7FdMUPg&s=19

Dude played 22 minutes against the Isles opening day roster. He's still raw and I still expect NJ to go with Smith and Miller as the 6 and 7 D, but I really hope they give Nemec a shot on the bottom pair to open the season. He's earned it, he's outplayed both of those two, and the Devils can just send him down after a few games if he looks like he needs work.

The only problem is that they are probably going to want to bring Hughes along on the third pair too and having two rookies there might be too risky in the eyes of the coaching staff but I say gently caress it, put the best players on the ice and let them develop chemistry together.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Carbery was part of the Leafs staff that basically deemed him unplayable a month into the season last year, I imagine it’s hard for a guy in that situation to win over his new head coach. Writing was probably on the wall for NAK when Carbery was hired.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

I agree it was fun but I wouldn't want it to be a regular thing. I'm not opposed to a play in because it works in baseball but I think it needs to be considered carefully. The bubble was terrible hockey it was just nice to have something to watch after months stuck inside doing nothing. Plus hockey at the height of summer was pretty great.

I think you could easily replace the wild card with a 4 team play in though. Three games between 7-10 and 8-9 would be exciting enough to fill a week of hockey, and put something in the dead week between regular season and playoffs starting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

The regular season will never shrink in size. The owners would be happy to extend it considerably if they could. Revenue in hockey is heavily driven by gate receipts. You can charge more for the playoffs, but that's only true for half the number of teams. The ultimate goal is to expand the playoffs because it means more teams getting higher playoff gate receipts.

Bettman is only superficially resistant because right now he is not able to expand the playoffs. Ownership is focused on expansion which is a quicker injection of cash they don't have to share with the players. It's a massive loophole in the CBA so they'll rush to expand at least twice more before 2026.

At present, the CBA expressly forbids the league from expanding the playoffs without the players' consent (weirdly the league was allowed to implement a 3 game wild card round in 06 or 07 but never did and then the window to do so closed in the CBA). Considering the union and ownership haven't been this bitterly divided since 2004, that's not happening anytime soon. If the owners open the CBA negotiations now and ask to expand the playoffs, the players will demand a split of expansion fees. The covid restart CBA MOU was signed 3 years ago and the CBA still hasn't been updated. Usually that takes a few months. Things are very bad between the players and ownership right now.

I would expect we'll have a wild card round added as part of the CBA negotiations in 2026 but that's still a few years away. It'll be a tertiary subject of subject of discussion and the players will likely not grant it to the owners without a major concession their way.

None of this is wrong of course, but you might misunderstand what I was saying, which is: of course the owners are going to continue to try to cram in more and more games. Every game is more revenue for them. However, there must be a few months of offseason, and hockey does not allow for teams to play 5 games a week for months on end without dramatically expanding the rosters (which would eat up the extra revenue). So before long there simply will be no more room in the calendar for more games.

At which point, the owners will turn their attention to making the existing games more lucrative. Which will mean fewer regular season games, more ~playoff~ games.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tsn1200/status/1710676402230460463?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Not sure what the point of the team lying about Norris’ health all pre-season was for, the Sens centre depth is trash now. Dorions job depends on not having another garbage start to the year lol, good luck bro

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jhet posted:

I think you could easily replace the wild card with a 4 team play in though. Three games between 7-10 and 8-9 would be exciting enough to fill a week of hockey, and put something in the dead week between regular season and playoffs starting.

gently caress this!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gently caress this!

No!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
All I want is them to get rid of stupid as hell divisional format.

Return to straight up 1-8 with reseeding every round.

1-16 would be even better. Screw the conference matchup in the final. Let's get weird.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

All I want is them to get rid of stupid as hell divisional format.

Return to straight up 1-8 with reseeding every round.

1-16 would be even better. Screw the conference matchup in the final. Let's get weird.

Completely agree with this.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Couldn't disagree more. Four divisions and teams seeing plenty of each other in the early playoff rounds is cool and good. There's nothing in sports better than two teams seeing too much of each other and growing to really loathe one another.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I like the divisional format but don't give a poo poo generally how they seed.

Adding two more teams on either side stinks though. Seeing an 81 point team getting trounced by the #1 seed does not sound like a good time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gently caress this!

I agree with you, but you know it’s what they’re going to look into.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Couldn't disagree more. Four divisions and teams seeing plenty of each other in the early playoff rounds is cool and good. There's nothing in sports better than two teams seeing too much of each other and growing to really loathe one another.

It's boring and it stinks

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Trying to add play ins with the loser point as it stands would mean that last year the likes of Montreal would be “playoff contenders” which is just wrong and disgusting

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dumb, nobody needs to play a team in the playoffs a bunch to hate them. Like you really think rivalries will stop if the same teams don’t play eachother in the first two rounds 10 times in a row? So many other reasons to hate rival teams (mostly cause they are smelly)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Columbus had 81 points two seasons ago in 10th.

That team fuckin sucked!!!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Oh yay for the 6th year in a row we get a matchup of NJ/NYR/CAR/PITT. So exciting!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I dunno I'm pretty into the Oilers beating the Kings and Flames every year in the playoffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The format doesn't matter. The only reason to care is if you're afraid your loser rear end team's record was a smokescreen and they need their hand held through the playoffs or they'll go on to lose to like... I don't know, some bigot team from Florida or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

Oh yay for the 6th year in a row we get a matchup of NJ/NYR/CAR/PITT. So exciting!

No you see without this system the fans of these teams will start loving each other. Rangers and Devils fans splitting pastrami sandwiches. Caps fans cheering for Crosby because he has had a real solid career.