Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Also putting aside the privacy issue, I can't see ever allowing an AI assistant to make purchases for me unless it has advanced to AGI android butler level that will make snarky quips when I request Pop Tarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm sure you can probably put an approval step in there.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

bull3964 posted:

I really think it's odd that media outlets aren't making a bigger deal out of the fact that Google has managed to do Level 3 Biometrics with a simple front facing camera. Imagine if Apple were able to shrink the notch Dynamic Island to a single hole punch, everyone would be going insane about their innovation. Maybe it's Google's fault for also not really calling attention to it in the keynote.

It's sleeper stuff like this that Google is doing with Tensor that I think is going to be cumulative over time. All anyone talks about is the ARM core arrangement and the GPU on these SoCs, but there's a whole ton of silicon dedicated to doing ML stuff that doesn't come across in a spec sheet and this stuff seems to be accelerating like crazy. I suspect that by the time we get to Pixel 10, the Video Boost stuff will probably be done in real time on device.

It's like the only really exciting stuff happening on mobile right now. Over time, I think there's going to be a real divergence between a smartphone defined as a device that accesses the internet and runs applications from an app store and a smartphone as a real personal assistant that background manages the minutia of life. It's gonna get really crazy once google starts baking in means for Bard to interact with apps and services you may have on your phone.

"Hey Google, plan my dinner for the week, I'm planning on getting takeout on Friday."

In the background, Bard finds 6 dinners based on your dietary preferences and restrictions, breaks down the ingredients list, interfaces with the app for your local grocery store and places an order for the ingredients, checks your calendar and selects a pickup time that would work best on your schedule, puts the dinners on your calander based on prepation time and ingredient shelf life (being sure to allow plenty of time to cook/eat/and cleanup around other events), then plops the recipes into Keep for you to access at prep time. This all happens on device.

I am not in any way shape or form trying to form a commentary on privacy implications here. I'm simply saying that all of this stuff is more exciting than "your phone can run Resident Evil 4 now."

be super cool if an open source version of this came into existence for lineageOS 25 or whatever.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

"Hey Google, plan my dinner for the week, I'm planning on getting takeout on Friday."

In the background, Bard finds 6 dinners based on your dietary preferences and restrictions, breaks down the ingredients list, interfaces with the app for your local grocery store and places an order for the ingredients, checks your calendar and selects a pickup time that would work best on your schedule, puts the dinners on your calander based on prepation time and ingredient shelf life (being sure to allow plenty of time to cook/eat/and cleanup around other events), then plops the recipes into Keep for you to access at prep time. This all happens on device.

This sounds like a cool concept that will never materialize at this level of cohesion/completeness in any of our lifetimes, tbh. Even if we reach a point in the next 5-10 years that you can provide this level of input and the phone does all of these steps, I am willing to bet the results will be far from seamless. Things like unexpected ingredient substitutions from the recipe stage or the ordering stage, to fuckups with pickup/delivery times, etc. Absolutely not something I'm personally interested in alpha/beta testing, and you know that's exactly how it will be implemented.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I caved and got the regular Pixel 8, $260 off plus free pixel bud pros sold me.

I'll have to sleep some more on if I want to upgrade from the versa 2 to the pixel watch 2

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Google has managed to do Level 3 Biometrics with a simple front facing camera.

I may be missing something obvious but that stuff isn't regulated, is it? Isn't it just Google deciding whatever level of security they can achieve with a single cam is good enough? It's not independently verified or whatever, is what I'm trying to say.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Assistant regularly fails to play what I tell it to on Spotify and almost every AI chat bot regularly gets math questions wrong, I have zero hope for assistant/bard lmao

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Incessant Excess posted:

I may be missing something obvious but that stuff isn't regulated, is it? Isn't it just Google deciding whatever level of security they can achieve with a single cam is good enough? It's not independently verified or whatever, is what I'm trying to say.

I take it won't work to unlock your phone in the dark, or with too little light?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I caved and got the regular Pixel 8, $260 off plus free pixel bud pros sold me.

I'll have to sleep some more on if I want to upgrade from the versa 2 to the pixel watch 2

I also caved. got the 8 pro with the LTE watch. I will report back once my buyers remorse kicks in full steam

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I bought the Pixel 8 Pro too. My old Galaxy S10+ is finally out of support so it was time to upgrade. It was the Pixel 8 vs the Galaxy S23. Google has increased its functionality and Samsung has decreased theirs to the point where it was a toss up; neither have headphone jacks, the modern Galaxy's don't do MST anymore, neither has expandable storage, both have long support timelines, etc. What it came down to was that Google offered a free watch that could replace my ancient Fitbit Blaze.

The only thing I have to do now is find some new wireless earbuds. I can't believe that Google's $200 earbuds only support AAC/SBC. That's just insane to me to spend that much and not have a higher quality audio codec. I really like all the cool software stuff that Google stuffs into its earbuds, but honestly, if I'm going to be using the earbuds, I'm probably going to be listening to music.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

hark posted:

I also caved. got the 8 pro with the LTE watch. I will report back once my buyers remorse kicks in full steam

US Mobile is considerably cheaper than Google Fi ($25 vs $65 is a no brainer) but US Mobile doesn't yet support LTE smart watches

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Regulated no. But there are specifications defined for what the levels mean and what you have to achieve to hit them and how to actually test them.

https://source.android.com/docs/security/features/biometric/measure

There are three categories for measure.

Spoof Acceptance Rate, Imposter Acceptance Rate, and False Acceptance Rate.

The first is whether or not the biometric accepts some recorded facsimile of the real thing (recording of voice, impression of fingerprint, picture of face). The second is the acceptance of a mimic. Someone trying to impersonate a voice, someone with very similar fingerprints, a doppelganger presenting their face. The third is the rate at which any random input might be accepted.

So, the percentage rates of the various categories determines if it's a Type 3, 2, 1 biometric. The link goes into a lot of detail about the various testing that's done for each type.

I guess beyond that you just have to trust that the various manufacturers are not lying, but that's the same for all biometrics really.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

GreenBuckanneer posted:

US Mobile is considerably cheaper than Google Fi ($25 vs $65 is a no brainer) but US Mobile doesn't yet support LTE smart watches

my main reason for being on fi is that you get 5 free data only sims. I have one for my watch, one for my iPad, and three left to use at my discretion. it's pretty great for the price.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have a iPad air but it's not a SIM card one

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i'm on fi with a 3-person unlimited plan and it's $80 for all 3 of us, that includes my lte watch

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i'm on fi with a 3-person unlimited plan and it's $80 for all 3 of us, that includes my lte watch

I would need my coworker and my gf to move, again, from this phone plan to google fi, but even still 80/3 is still almost 27

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Camera nerds break down the Pixel 8 & Pro:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7312687980/google-pixel-8-and-pixel-8-pro-camera-whats-new

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone else have several Google Play system updates available in a row? I upgraded to Android 14 on my Pixel 6 yesterday, and today thought I'd check to see if there were Play updates, and there was - 4 in a row. I'd install one, restart the phone, check again, find another update, rinse and repeat.

Do the Play updates function more old-school in that you have to install updates in order and I somehow just had a backlog? Or did they release several as a follow-on to Android 14?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know something was funky with it right after 14 because I was stuck on July on my Fold and it would tell me that the update failed when I tried to download it. But today I was able to do two in a row and I'm up to September.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I know something was funky with it right after 14 because I was stuck on July on my Fold and it would tell me that the update failed when I tried to download it. But today I was able to do two in a row and I'm up to September.

I'm pretty sure mine already showed it was on September throughout this whole string of updates, but I guess that's neither here nor there. I wish they made the Play updates a little easier to differentiate than just having a month attached to it. I mean, I'm sure there is a method to check the version more granularly, but :effort:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

my local best buy has a pixel 8 on display. the screen is way brighter than my 7. in the last few years ive been able to transfer photos taken from display devices to my phone to post here for photo quality comparisons, but the nearby share feature wasn't working on the model i tried. the photos do look nicer, tho. more crisp and clear.

the main takeaway tho is that the form factor is REALLY nice compared to the 7. on paper it's only slightly smaller but in the hand, even with the big ugly security thing on the back, it feels and looks much smaller and more comfortable and more polished due its more rounded design. the 7 is a nice feeling phone but in comparison to the 8 it looks like an old tv remote.

i was skeptical and hesitant to upgrade from my 5 to a 6 and even to a 7 but this year its going to be hard to resist the 8 from a sheer form factor perspective. its a shame that the phone is so neutered in comparison to the pro this year and is probably not really worth the one year upgrade (imo).

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Anyone else have several Google Play system updates available in a row? I upgraded to Android 14 on my Pixel 6 yesterday, and today thought I'd check to see if there were Play updates, and there was - 4 in a row. I'd install one, restart the phone, check again, find another update, rinse and repeat.

Do the Play updates function more old-school in that you have to install updates in order and I somehow just had a backlog? Or did they release several as a follow-on to Android 14?

This happens to me whenever I manually check Play system updates in Security settings. I have no idea what's going on, but it feels like it just keeps looping in itself since the Last Updated [Month] 1, 2023 never actually changes or will even be blank for me. It doesn't seem to download or install anything, it just immediately wants me to reset 2-4 times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ShoogaSlim posted:

the main takeaway tho is that the form factor is REALLY nice compared to the 7.

I've heard a few variations in that from a different places. One hands-on said that they liked the Pixel 7 when it came out, but the Pixel 8 immediately made it feel boxy and clunky.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Resonance22 posted:

This happens to me whenever I manually check Play system updates in Security settings. I have no idea what's going on, but it feels like it just keeps looping in itself since the Last Updated [Month] 1, 2023 never actually changes or will even be blank for me. It doesn't seem to download or install anything, it just immediately wants me to reset 2-4 times.

Not for me - the ones today were all different sizes and took appropriately different amounts of time to download.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not for me - the ones today were all different sizes and took appropriately different amounts of time to download.

I went to check because of this, and there were 3 updates waiting. 145kb, 6.something mb, 2.2mb

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Artelier posted:

So thanks to the couple of impressions in this thread I picked up the Xperia 1 V (especially since it went on a small sale and we don't officially get the Pixel series) and I'm loving it so far in these first days.

Please add your impressions too so that I may live vicariously through you, and others, until Sony maybe puts it on sale in the US. Which color did you pick? I held one earlier this year and it felt perfect. The ridges and the bumps are all divine.

I never use assistant and stumble upon a phone tree like once every two years, so all the AI stuff of the P8 and P8P doesn't interest me as much as a physical fingerprint reader, headphone jack, expandable storage, no ugly notch, Exmor T sensor, and the 21:9, 643 ppi display of the 1 V. (Mk VI with LTPO? Prob not at that resolution/density.)

It's almost $400 cheaper to import one, for whatever reason, but I need one of the few missing bands in EU/SEA models for my carrier. There was a green one on Swappa with an unused pair of earbuds (preorder freebie) for just under $1,000 and someone else grabbed it while I deliberated, thankfully. Maybe next month...? :shobon:

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 7, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bloodplay it again posted:

Please add your impressions too so that I may live vicariously through you, and others, until Sony maybe puts it on sale in the US.

You can buy one now from Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-xperia-1-v-256gb-5g-unlocked/6544417.p?skuId=6544417

Unless you meant sale as in discount, but Sony won't do that until the VI is out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Standard. I factory reset my Pixel 7 last night because I got a lot of UI stutter after the Android 14 update, and Google Play system update was back to July. About 4 updates and restarts later, I'm up to September.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

You can buy one now from Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-xperia-1-v-256gb-5g-unlocked/6544417.p?skuId=6544417

Unless you meant sale as in discount, but Sony won't do that until the VI is out.

Pretty sure they meant discount. Sony has already done a minor sale on the black 1 V about a month ago, green one didn't get a discount. About $200 off iirc.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pretty sure they meant discount. Sony has already done a minor sale on the black 1 V about a month ago, green one didn't get a discount. About $200 off iirc.

Whoops. Yes, I should have said "a sale." I saw the phone + earbuds + $50 Sony Store credit preorder promo, but I have only seen it go down $100 temporarily since it launched.

I am seriously considering importing the silver 1 V from Europe, supported bands be damned, since most of my usage is with wifi anyway. I don't care too much about the missing 5g bands, but I use Google Fi/T-mo and I think band 71 is used for LTE service in most of the midwest. I would probably run into service issues when trying to visit friends and family.

Weirdly, the EU and SEA models all have unlocked bootloaders, too, so you can flash US modem files. The US model is locked. :confused:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Whoops. Yes, I should have said "a sale." I saw the phone + earbuds + $50 Sony Store credit preorder promo, but I have only seen it go down $100 temporarily since it launched.

I am seriously considering importing the silver 1 V from Europe, supported bands be damned, since most of my usage is with wifi anyway. I don't care too much about the missing 5g bands, but I use Google Fi/T-mo and I think band 71 is used for LTE service in most of the midwest. I would probably run into service issues when trying to visit friends and family.

Weirdly, the EU and SEA models all have unlocked bootloaders, too, so you can flash US modem files. The US model is locked. :confused:

Yeah I don't know why the bootloader is locked on the US variant, but what can ya do? As far as supported bands, yes the SEA/EU versions lack band 71 which is used by T-Mobile for 5G and LTE coverage, though the Kimovil band checker says that Google Fi doesn't use that T-Mobile band for some reason? Likewise, Wifi calling works on Google Fi, but does NOT work natively on T-Mobile or Verizon for whatever reason; this is true for all variants of the 1 V and you cannot force enable it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Indeed, I am stuck with Fi for a bit longer if I want to get the max usage from the phone. I did not know Fi supposedly doesn't use that band, however. Sure would hate to buy the phone only for Google to outright cancel Fi shortly after. Been using it since 2015 and considered switching to Visible, but will stay if I grab a phone from Sony.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I really am at a loss for what to replace my broken screen Pixel 5 with.

If I get the replacement part, I'd probably do the battery as well, which here would be close to $400AUD, which I don't wanna drop cause if I gently caress it up, I don't have a backup phone to fall back on.

I initially baulked at the price of the P8, but my carrier is giving away the watch 2 for free with pre order of either the 8 or the Pro, pro being way to expensive.

So I could resell the watch if I felt like it (I won't).

And with from what I've read that some of the software stuff is intentionally held back from the 8 to draw people to buy the pro is irking me somewhat.

And I don't really wanna dip into Apple, or back to Samsung either, so I guess roll with the busted screen for as long as it takes?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Puddin posted:

I really am at a loss for what to replace my broken screen Pixel 5 with.

If I get the replacement part, I'd probably do the battery as well, which here would be close to $400AUD, which I don't wanna drop cause if I gently caress it up, I don't have a backup phone to fall back on.

I initially baulked at the price of the P8, but my carrier is giving away the watch 2 for free with pre order of either the 8 or the Pro, pro being way to expensive.

So I could resell the watch if I felt like it (I won't).

And with from what I've read that some of the software stuff is intentionally held back from the 8 to draw people to buy the pro is irking me somewhat.

And I don't really wanna dip into Apple, or back to Samsung either, so I guess roll with the busted screen for as long as it takes?

I still have a Samsung note 8 that has a super cracked screen. I won't fix it because it's like 250 for the repair and the phone isn't even worth that much now but it still works as a backup phone. I just put a screen protector over the broken screen so it doesn't cut my fingers when I use it and besides the cracks being visible, it still works fine.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Indeed, I am stuck with Fi for a bit longer if I want to get the max usage from the phone. I did not know Fi supposedly doesn't use that band, however. Sure would hate to buy the phone only for Google to outright cancel Fi shortly after. Been using it since 2015 and considered switching to Visible, but will stay if I grab a phone from Sony.

I think I misstated in my previous post, Google Fi doesn't use 71 for 5G, but it does use it for 4G.

Since Visible uses the same bands as Verizon, with an SEA/EU variant you'd have 3 of the 7 5G bands and all of the 4G bands available to you, while the NA model has 5 of the 7 5G bands (no mmwave on any 1 V models). Something else to maybe keep in mind is that the XQ-DQ62 (NA) and XQ-DQ72 (SEA) variants support dual SIM cards but no eSIM, while the XQ-DQ54 variant (EU) is the only one that supports eSIM.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I would have got a bigger discount on Fi but it's $65 a month and US Mobile is $25 so that's a non starter for me

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Somebody please help me!

The Gmail app on my S21 running Android 13 One UI 5.1 has stopped sending me notifications of new mail. In fact, I don't think it actively checks for new mail unless the app is open as when I open it there's a few seconds before they show up. If the app is open then I do get notifications.

The notification permissions are all granted. And I even cleared the cache, reset the app, and disabled then re-enabled it. I can't re-install it as you can't delete Gmail.

Not sure what can be done and I am freaking out a little bit.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 8, 2023

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Somebody please help me!

The Gmail app on my S21 running Android 13 One UI 5.1 has stopped sending me notifications of new mail. In fact, I don't think it actively checks for new mail unless the app is open as when I open it there's a few seconds before they show up. If the app is open then I do get notifications.

The notification permissions are all granted. And I even cleared the cache, reset the app, and disabled then re-enabled it. I can't re-install it as you can't delete Gmail.

Not sure what can be done and I am freaking out a little bit.

If you go to settings - Password and Accounts - Account Sync and go to your Gmail account - click Account Sync is sync turned on for your Gmail?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Burden posted:

If you go to settings - Password and Accounts - Account Sync and go to your Gmail account - click Account Sync is sync turned on for your Gmail?

Yeah. And it's showing that it was last synced about an hour ago (when I had the app open).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah. And it's showing that it was last synced about an hour ago (when I had the app open).

And you don't have battery saver turned on or anything that would stop the sync?