Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gwaihir posted:

I do like the backside hunchback shots plan, but this turn can also easily be a great turn for everyone to deny los, reposition, and 100% cool off, while also waiting for the wolverine to get closer.

To be fair even if the Treb and Shadow Hawk go for the back attack plan, I don't think they can generate enough heat to cripple themselves. I didn't include the Gladiator in this plan because I didn't think it could participate. Either way, I highly suggest holding off on the PPC for this turn at least.

I'm of the idea that we should never waste an opportunity. The Hunchback is vulnerable, the Griffin can't protect it at point-blank range, and the Commando doesn't have a good shot in that direction either.

I also think it's a good way to screw with Etienne. Forcing him to miss shots because he's trying to fend us off with the mech equivalent of sniping weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'd say flank the HBK and start racking up some real damage on the remaining units.

The TBT should be able to reach 0715 for a perfect setup.

SHD should be able to hit 0614 for 4 hexes from the HBK and I think show your stronger left side to the GRF. Gives the PPC great numbers, but not the LRMs.

GLD can either jump to 1119 for flanking positioning and fire a ML or run for 6 to around 1213, but it would be to draw fire from both the GRF and HBK.

WVR just needs to get closer and start using its armor before the rest of the Lance starts using their internal structure.

If possible have the GLD and SHD fire before the crit seeking TBT on the back of the HBK.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 4, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

the major win would be critting out the hunch's ac10 or its ammo from the rear.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

Unfortunately for Etienne, shielding movement isn't implemented in MegaMek yet. :v:

Fourteen years I've been waiting to play my favorite scenario (Peter Steiner-Davion and the Royal Guards ambushed on Tharkad) in MM! Fourteen years!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

the major win would be critting out the hunch's ac10 or its ammo from the rear.

Yes, the TBT's MLs can go crit on anywhere on the rear and the SRMs increase the chance to break something. If the SHDs PPC lands that's going to be a huge bonus but it's an all or nothing roll. The TBT should take the chance to fire everything then get out.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Amechwarrior posted:

GLD can either jump to 1119 for flanking positioning and fire a ML or run for 6 to around 1213, but it would be to draw fire from both the GRF and HBK.

Gladiator

I'm running to 1215 and shooting the Griffin. Jumping will give me terrible numbers and put up my heat. If I stay in the general area then the two stooges in the middle won't have any safe place to turn.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
The shooting there just sucked.

... how do you DFA? Can I DFA the Hunchie and then shoot the Griffen? Or is that not a thing?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

painedforever posted:

The shooting there just sucked.

... how do you DFA? Can I DFA the Hunchie and then shoot the Griffen? Or is that not a thing?

You declare dfa during movement phase, you don’t get to act during shooting phase, and assuming you don’t fail a psr incurred during shooting phase, you land and resolve damage during melee phase

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Glancing blows! :argh:

e:Hold up a second. Enemy mechs don't block line of sight to one another if they're adjacent, right? Because if I'm reading this right I can get 3 hexes away from the Hunchback's rear arc, and be inside the Griffin's deadzone without risk of melee.

e2:Okay yeah, I should learn to read. Moving to 0715 and punishing the Hunchback. I want to look Etienne in the eyes while I blow up his bodyguard. :black101:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 4, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Its not as bad as it looks. One of the strengths of the large laser is you have a ten hex medium, and you can trade with medium lasers all day (long at 9, can't fire at 10).

A run to 1710 puts you at 10 hexes to the griffin.

A jump to 1711 puts you at 9 so you can use the other weapons, but you know, heat.

I don't believe I can make it to 1711 because of the mud

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Captain Foo posted:

You declare dfa during movement phase, you don’t get to act during shooting phase, and assuming you don’t fail a psr incurred during shooting phase, you land and resolve damage during melee phase

It would be in the quick start guide, right?

I keep thinking of how BattleTech used to show DFA. It'd be like, your 'mech lands next to the target, and then it shoots with all of the short-range weapons, and then does a punch animation.

It looks more like you've landed on the opposing 'mechs toes and inconvenienced them briefly while getting past them.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

painedforever posted:

It would be in the quick start guide, right?

unfortunately the official free quick-start rules don't touch on melee at all, and the LP guide that Scintilla wrote does not cover DFAs (so far)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

In general DFA is a bad idea and a long shot at best unless you're a very good pilot and you really need to push someone off a cliff. You're going to take self inflicted leg damage, then also probably fall over and take more damage.

However, it's fun to YOLO it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

unfortunately the official free quick-start rules don't touch on melee at all, and the LP guide that Scintilla wrote does not cover DFAs (so far)

I'll update the primer with DFAs and Charging attacks as soon as I have a spare moment.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Okay, I've added instructions on DFAs and Charging Attacks to the Primer. I saved the editing link from when I first wrote it up, so it should have updated for everyone who recieved my initial Player PM.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Scintilla posted:

Okay, I've added instructions on DFAs and Charging Attacks to the Primer. I saved the editing link from when I first wrote it up, so it should have updated for everyone who recieved my initial Player PM.

Oh no, now I want to do a DFA, and a charge attack, and shove! How can I do them all in the same match?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

painedforever posted:

Oh no, now I want to do a DFA, and a charge attack, and shove! How can I do them all in the same match?

Try to talk your GM into letting you do a suplex.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wolverine

I'm going to try to make the best of a crap position, run to 1710 and take a pot shot at the griffin

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Wolverine

I'm going to try to make the best of a crap position, run to 1710 and take a pot shot at the griffin

Does 1608 have LOS at med range to the HBK? It also lets you jump across the gap next turn. You'll be behind that hill next turn either way, so heat shouldn't be a problem. Might as well pile on the HBK with everyone else.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

painedforever posted:

That's what the skills in the melee tree are for! :v:

Edit: In all seriousness, going for a DFA / melee attack while the Hunchback is right there would be a corageous decision.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 6, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Try to talk your GM into letting you do a suplex.

that pirate mission with all the weird builds and individual bonus objectives loving ruled

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
That feeling when your Hunchback takes eleven SRMs to the back in a single turn. :supaburn:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scintilla posted:

That feeling when your Hunchback takes eleven SRMs to the back in a single turn. :supaburn:

:sickos:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
In Arnold voice "Here lies hunchback. Now no back."

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

No anything, if that ammo went up :gibs:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bloody Pom posted:

No anything, if that ammo went up :gibs:

Oh c'mon, it'll be a cartoon style pair of leftover leg stumps.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I got very lucky on the crit rolls. But if anything gets behind it again it's toast. There is literally zero rear armour left.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scintilla posted:

I got very lucky on the crit rolls. But if anything gets behind it again it's toast. There is literally zero rear armour left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wmWZbr_wQ

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

It fell over. Does that help? :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ilmucche posted:

In Arnold voice "Here lies hunchback. Now no back."

this is a good joke and i like it

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Ironically the Hunchback falling on its back might be what keeps it alive. Unless it trips and shatters itself trying to get up which would be hilarious.

Also, I can't wait to see what destruction my plan has wrought. I mean, it wasn't exactly my plan but I had some input so I'm claiming a small amount of responsibility

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 9

Alexander winced as Etienne’s Griffin discharged its PPC yet again. The shot missed, but the searing blue flash assaulted Alexander’s eyeballs, driving luminous daggers of pain into his optic nerves. Blinking furiously, Alexander silently cursed whoever had programmed his simulator pod. Normally, a mech’s transplex canopy would automatically darken in response to excessive luminosity, but the simulation hadn’t got it quite right. His visual displays did darken, but by too little, and a fraction of a second too late. It was a serious flaw in a battle with so many PPCs and powerful lasers, and Alexander made a mental note to let Gudrun know once the match had concluded.

As the last of the pain faded, Alexander drove his Trebuchet towards Etienne. The lordling raised his Griffin’s battle fists, but Alexander had no intention of engaging him in melee combat. Punching the royal brat in the face would be satisfying, but he had enough discipline to resist the impulse. His armour had been thinned out by the fighting, and the Griffin’s hardened fingers and hand actuators would peel away what was left like an overripe orange. Besides, a far bigger fish had just presented itself, and Alexander was determined to fry it before it could swim away.

Alexander waited until he was thirty metres away before opening fire. His Trebuchet’s lasers sliced through the air like luminous scalpels, followed shortly by a corkscrewing volley of SRMs. Etienne’s Griffin lurched into the beginning of an evasive manoeuvre, then stopped as both volleys passed harmlessly to the side of him.

“That was pathetic, merc,” the lordling sneered. “Did your finger slip or something?”

Alexander heaved an exasperated sigh. “Moron. I wasn’t aiming at you.”

A thunderous crescendo of explosions punctuated his words. Behind Etienne, the Fusilier Hunchback staggered as Alexander’s fire shredded its rear armour and bit deep into its internals. All but one of his missiles had found their mark, and they savaged the stocky mech’s back, ripping into it like a pack of explosive piranhas. The pilot endured the impacts stoically, bracing the mech’s legs and leaning back with all her might, but the fury of the assault was simply too great. Like a great tree, the Hunchback slowly toppled forwards, driving itself down into the sandy soil.

“Cosette!” Etienne cried, a note of panic entering his voice. “How…? How can this be happening?!”

Alexander scoffed. “It happened because you’re an idiot with no tactical awareness. You left your back wide open, so she had to dash in to cover your rear. As a bodyguard myself, I gotta say I admire her instincts. Too bad they’re wasted protecting your worthless rear end.”

“poo poo,” Etienne stammered. “poo poo, poo poo, poo poo!” Flames flickered as he activated his Griffin’s jump jets. Alexander watched contemptuously as the lordling fled skywards. They had broken his confidence, but Etienne seemed like the sort of person who would quickly bounce back unless they really put the boot in.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 12, rolls 9: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Rear Centre Torso! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Rear Centre Torso, 0/5 Armour, 14/16 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Right Arm! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 5 damage to Right Arm, 11/16 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 9: 5 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Rear Torso (2/4 Armour remaining), Right Rear Torso (0/4 Armour remaining), Left Arm (2/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (9/16 Armour remaining) and Left Rear Torso (0/4 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 8: 6 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (16/20 Armour remaining), Rear Centre Torso (12/16 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)), Left Arm (0/16 Armour remaining), Left Leg (14/20 Armour remaining), Rear Left Torso (10/12 Structure remaining (Critical Chance!)) and Right Arm (7/16 Armour remaining).
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) needs 11, rolls 12: Hits Right Leg! Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) takes 8 damage to Right Leg, 8/18 Armour remaining.

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires PPC at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/10 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Right Arm! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Arm, 0/16 Armour, 8/9 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Arm! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Right Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 2/18 Armour remaining.

No melee attacks this turn!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 12 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 19 heat, sinks 18 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 5 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 15 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 5 heat. Overheating!

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 17 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Piloting checks for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 5; Fails!
-Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) falls on its front, suffering 5 damage to Centre Torso (16/26 Armour remaining).
-Pilot Cosette Delacroix must roll a 6+ to avoid a Pilot Hit; rolls 6: Succeeds!

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) attempts to stand. Needs 5, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (3/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 10th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 7, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Loving the writing here

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Really enjoyed the fluff! Lucky break for the Fusiliers to not straight up lose the Hunchback. Players are still in good shape though. Keep positioning smart and focusing and you can still get this clean!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Loving the writing here

Seriously, it's so good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seriously, it's so good.

Oh yeah the objectives and moods are 🤌

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I don't know if this is really a good idea or not but I think if the Shadow Hawk and Gladiator want to walk to 1212 and 1213. I think that the Commando and Griffin can't see you there, but you still have a line of sight on the Hunchback. So you could take some time to cool off and batter the Hunchback a little more

Can I get a LoS check on that?

As for the Wolverine and Trebuchet, I'm less sure about them. I think the best thing the Wolverine could do right now is just get to our side of the riverbed. The Treb could back off and hide, try and circle the Griffin for a pincer attack, or it could press the attack by getting into point-blank range with the enemy Griffin. It's risky, but I like the idea of making him swear and frantically try to back off from us

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to spend the rest of this match just chasing LOS aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to spend the rest of this match just chasing LOS aren't I?

Nah! you've got one really good move on the table this turn. Do you want to hear about it, or figure it out yourself?