Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Speaking of Star Trek kits. Does anyone have a recommendation for an Enterprise refit/A or Miranda cruiser? I've wanted models of both of those since I was like 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=12184

Polarlights is the way to go there. You’ve got three choices: the $100 1:350 kit, the 1:537 old AMT kit that matches the scale of the old AMT Miranda kit here which is also reissued, or the 1/1000 scale one that matches the new 1/1000 Miranda that polar lights put out in the last decade

there’s also a 1:2500 snap title kit set of the two along with a k’t’inga cruiser

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 4, 2023

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Also speaking of Star Trek kits has anyone seen the Strange New Worlds Enterprise painted in original/motion picture colors?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I spoke earlier in this thread about wooden boats with help from The Locator, but honestly I wonder if I'm just setting my sights too high - in my adult life I've completed one scale model kit - an out of the box 1/350 HMS Dreadnought. I have another Dreadnought with all the bells and whistles vis. upgrade parts - but I'm just not there yet with regard to techniques or ability to do it justice so it's shelved. My 1/96 Cutty Sark is another big, impressive model but I ran out of steam because it's just such a bad kit, and I'm not prepared to spend another £150+ on replacement parts from HiS Model.

I do, do a fair bit of miniature painting and railway modelling of a sort (i.e. repainting, photoetch, brass kits) so I'm not an amateur, but I feel like I need an easy-win kit to see if scale modelling is really for me, or whether I just think it is because I look at the contents of this thread completely agog. I'm after something which won't take me a year to build, isn't dependent on a super-high level of skill for fit/finish, and doesn't require aftermarket parts.

My wheelhouse is basically anything from the ancient world up to the start of WW2. To show I'm not just randomly asking for help I've done a bit of research into the kinds of things I'm after:

- Oddball inter-war tanks in general
- Trains (Trumpeter 1/35 BR86 tank loco, Occre 1/24 Adler)
- For sailing ships it seems I'm out of luck here and it's either wood or a 60+ year old Airfix model - and I have the Cutty Sark for that...
- Specifically a Hawker Hurricane/Spitfire - a relative flew one in the Battle of France
- Early cars (Airfix 1/12 1930's Bentley?)

I would love to hear any suggestions of what to start looking for? Honestly 'just crack on with the Cutty Sark' is also a feasible response.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
If you want a Spitfire and you've got about $100 to spend, you want this one
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kotare-k32001-spitfire-mkia-mid--1374490

If you want to go smaller and cheaper, it's this one
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-61119-supermarine-spitfire-mki--1162877

For a Hurricane, Revell have a new one out

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04968-hawker-hurricane-mk-iib--1395506

Or for 48th scale, this one from Arma

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/arma-hobby-40004-hurricane-mk-iic--1323693

All good kits, but I'd say the Kotare Spitfire is probably the best of the bunch.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's very helpful for the planes, thank you! Silly question, but where do you keep a plane that has a footprint of ~18" x 12" ?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Mentioned upthread, but I built this kit a while back and it was a pretty easy win. Only thing that drove me nuts was the size and fragility of the PE and if you're already good with that from working on trains, it should be a great kit for you.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Southern Heel posted:

That's very helpful for the planes, thank you! Silly question, but where do you keep a plane that has a footprint of ~18" x 12" ?

some people mount them on walls

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I had the Revell 1:72 B-36 Peacemaker hung over my bed with fishing line when I was a kid. That thing had a 3 foot wingspan and a 2.5 foot length.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
If you want smaller there's a million 1/72 Spitfires or Hurricanes. The best early war Spit is probably (weirdly) the Airfix Mk1a

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a01071b-supermarine-spitfire-mkia--1121401

Hurricane, Arma also do one in that scale and Airfix isn't bad there either.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I mentioned the points above to my Dad and he revealed he's had this stashed away for gosh-knows-how-long and guess who's just inherited it?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I mentioned the points above to my Dad and he revealed he's had this stashed away for gosh-knows-how-long and guess who's just inherited it?

Is there a special prize for longest-dormant kit in Backlogtoberfest?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I think you’re supposed to hang it from the ceiling of your shop with fishing line.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://www.scalemates.com/topics/topic.php?id=12184

Polarlights is the way to go there. You’ve got three choices: the $100 1:350 kit, the 1:537 old AMT kit that matches the scale of the old AMT Miranda kit here which is also reissued, or the 1/1000 scale one that matches the new 1/1000 Miranda that polar lights put out in the last decade

there’s also a 1:2500 snap title kit set of the two along with a k’t’inga cruiser

Thanks! I think if I can successfully complete my Backlogtober kit, I'll order a pair of the smaller ones to try and put together. Having only ever done Gunpla, the process of doing other types of models is super daunting.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Very many thanks for the Enterprise recommendations! I consulted with my brother and while a 1701-D will probably get done at some point, he really loves the Constitution refit/Constitution II from the first six movies. Owing to space concerns, I've opted for the 1/1000 Polar Lights kit and might take a look for some lighting kits for it but won't be heartbroken if it just gets done as a static model. I'm not much of an electrician so I'm not confident in my ability to create a lighting kit of my own from scratch without inadvertently melting things that should not be melted or creating a housefire-in-waiting.

In other news, I painted another historical miniature and dug out the ol' magnifier and the Series 7 Miniatures to do it:

It's a rifleman of the famed 95th Rifles, familiar to those with an interest in Napoleonic history or folks who watched Sharpe on the History Channel before it was overrun by conspiracy weirdos. 54mm, so 2.5" tall or thereabouts. So that is 1/3 of my backlog cleared.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Is there a special prize for longest-dormant kit in Backlogtoberfest?

Not quite the 50+ years of the Bentley that I've yet to lay hands on, but this is one of my two backlog kits:

I'm still treating this as a 'best efforts' kit rather than aiming too high. I think that's been the biggest problem for me with so many professional modellers churning out content online I have always felt completely inadequate. This time I have the 'excuse' that the kit is from 1959 so I can justify to myself that it doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be finished.

I airbrushed up some Vallejo Model Air Copper and I don't think it looks too bad:

I have unfortunately lost the rudder, so a pleading email has been sent to Revell. The deck is together, but the one concession to accuracy I'm making is an overlay - the original deck is (bizarrely) split into three sections with edge-on joints. In the meantime I've got some masts and painting, and a base to mount it on to get on with :)

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I'm still treating this as a 'best efforts' kit rather than aiming too high. I think that's been the biggest problem for me with so many professional modellers churning out content online I have always felt completely inadequate.

I am often liable to feel this way about my builds, so I try to just focus on comparing them against my older ones and seeing my gradual evolution/improvement of techniques rather than the unreachable goal of making them look like models I see online.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tidal wave emulator posted:

I am often liable to feel this way about my builds, so I try to just focus on comparing them against my older ones and seeing my gradual evolution/improvement of techniques rather than the unreachable goal of making them look like models I see online.

This. Your worst critic is yourself. If you are steadily making improvements build after build, then good deal and keep on truckin. The 'pro' modelers that are in the video's or winning competitions probably started out making ugly models and just kept after it until they got gooder.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

The Locator posted:

This. Your worst critic is yourself.

Yeah I'm my own worst critic. Just an absolute dogshit critic. Everyone else's criticisms of my work are so much more elegant and devastating.

Anyway wall of shame time

I already picked out the smallest and easiest kit to build out of this a few weeks ago.

This is an IBG TKS tankette with a full interior and a resin figure, since even an easy kit can't be too easy!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It's time for me to paint the machine guns on my Abrams model. A M2 and a M240. The manual says I should use gunmetal for them. I've used that before and it just doesn't look right to me. Every pic I've ever seen of these guns they look almost totally black. However if I painted them in flat black I think that wouldn't look quite right either. I was thinking maybe if I mixed some Tamiya gunmetal and smoke together maybe that would darken it enough but also still make it look like metal? Anyone have any other ideas?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Paint it a non-metallic dark blue-grey, then rub a pencil over the raised details like it's a drybrush. Braindead easy steel.

I'm even lazier and use VMC gunmetal, but getting that very slight blue tinge in it helps sell the effect.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
First build of Backlogtoberfest completed.
It's Tamiyas Peugeot 206 WRC 2002. Box stock apart from an upgrade kit and some replacement ribbon for the belts. The belts are always a bit of a pain to put together but I like the look of them when they're done. Also tried out my slightly dodgy photobooth but the results are far better than without it.

This Rear wing is held on with hopes and dreams and the only real issue I had with the kit apart from the decals being very delicate.

The finished article.

Dodgy photobooth working hard.

And to keep the ball rolling I'm back working on this one. Sadly the fluro orange has faded in a couple of spots since I got the body clearcoated a couple of years ago.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Holy cow! The Peugeot really turned out. Good luck with the 787B.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

nitsuga posted:

Holy cow! The Peugeot really turned out. Good luck with the 787B.

Seconded! Nice work! That looks fabulous.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

It's time for me to paint the machine guns on my Abrams model. A M2 and a M240. The manual says I should use gunmetal for them. I've used that before and it just doesn't look right to me. Every pic I've ever seen of these guns they look almost totally black. However if I painted them in flat black I think that wouldn't look quite right either. I was thinking maybe if I mixed some Tamiya gunmetal and smoke together maybe that would darken it enough but also still make it look like metal? Anyone have any other ideas?

For gun metal I always use Gunze Mr. Metal Color 214 Dark Iron -- you are supposed to be able to brush it, but I always use an airbrush. After it is dry, buff it gently with a cotton swab until it looks good. This stuff will clog up a double-action airbrush, so I always lock the needle back a mm or two so that the pigment comes out immediately when pressing the trigger, so it takes a bit of care -- no practice air-only sprays, just gun the stuff out. And then clean the airbrush well. Either way you apply it, first stir it up and mix it really well. A big pain to use, but it really looks nice.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Humbrol Metalcote gunmetal.

For small stuff like guns, stir forever, take a few drops out and thin just a bit. Brush paint, wait a few minutes.

It starts off looking like a dark matte gray, but polish with a soft cloth or even q tip and it becomes a very realistic dark metal. It's my go-to for guns.

Trust me on the stir forever part! The pigments settle out into a pretty solid clump, but once back into suspension work out excellently. The polished steel is similar but a much lighter color. They really do look like metal.

It airbrushes nicely, too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

First build of Backlogtoberfest completed.
It's Tamiyas Peugeot 206 WRC 2002. Box stock apart from an upgrade kit and some replacement ribbon for the belts. The belts are always a bit of a pain to put together but I like the look of them when they're done. Also tried out my slightly dodgy photobooth but the results are far better than without it.

This Rear wing is held on with hopes and dreams and the only real issue I had with the kit apart from the decals being very delicate.

The finished article.

Dodgy photobooth working hard.

And to keep the ball rolling I'm back working on this one. Sadly the fluro orange has faded in a couple of spots since I got the body clearcoated a couple of years ago.

drat, that looks great

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MyronMulch posted:

For gun metal I always use Gunze Mr. Metal Color 214 Dark Iron -- you are supposed to be able to brush it, but I always use an airbrush. After it is dry, buff it gently with a cotton swab until it looks good. This stuff will clog up a double-action airbrush, so I always lock the needle back a mm or two so that the pigment comes out immediately when pressing the trigger, so it takes a bit of care -- no practice air-only sprays, just gun the stuff out. And then clean the airbrush well. Either way you apply it, first stir it up and mix it really well. A big pain to use, but it really looks nice.

Or if you don't want something with a metallic finish, I find Vallejo 70862 Black Grey achieves the result that you would think normal flat back should do but doesn't look right

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
The dollhouse thing is complete!

Overall a nice diversion and they're apparently sending another kit my way soon. Only annoyances are that the instructions aren't always clear when it comes to identifying the books that go on the shelves so you have to work with a process of elimination, and some of the flowers are quite tricky.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Scale Modeling: some of the flowers are quite tricky

That looks sweet, nice work.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That is so incredibly cool. I absolutely love it. It tells such a cozy, warm story without saying word. Awesome.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

That looks really nice. Where did you get the kit from?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

stealie72 posted:

I had the Revell 1:72 B-36 Peacemaker hung over my bed with fishing line when I was a kid. That thing had a 3 foot wingspan and a 2.5 foot length.

This is the way. Every kid should have a giant nuclear bomber over their bed, to keep them in line.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MrYenko posted:

This is the way. Every kid should have a giant nuclear bomber over their bed, to keep them in line.

I had a 1:48 F-14 Tomcat of similar size

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

MrYenko posted:

Build the Revell 1/48 B-29, pose the bomb bay doors open and hang the Fat Man it comes with below it on another length of line.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

You probably can’t see very well from this view, but I used my lathe to turn up a couple of aluminium columns to mount the boat - custom 5/32” threads on either end and custom-made nuts.

It’s odd that I would’ve considered that to be very difficult while I was working, primarily with plastic – but now it seems significantly easier than anything. I’m doing on this kit.

I have finally received some watercolours to test out for the rich varnished wood that his prevalent over the model.

I was really hoping to get some done yesterday, but after a very busy difficult day I fell asleep at 7 pm !

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

neurotech posted:

That looks really nice. Where did you get the kit from?

My wife's parents got it (And another one they'll be sending out) for me from a local discount store, the brand is Crafts&Co but it's a Dutch brand. Looking at their site they have a few more things but this one's out of stock, no idea where they ship to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NTRabbit posted:

I had a 1:48 F-14 Tomcat of similar size

I had a balsa quetzalcoatlus.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Sorry to bother but let's say I want to get a friend who's into modeling an airbrush, is the Iwata CR still a solid buy? I"m willing to spend a soft $100 or so. I figure he can buy his own compressor but would that still a basic recommendation?

Let's say said friend lives in a different state, aside from Amazon is there any online shop that has a nice gift buy that goons could recommend? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

adnam posted:

Sorry to bother but let's say I want to get a friend who's into modeling an airbrush, is the Iwata CR still a solid buy? I"m willing to spend a soft $100 or so. I figure he can buy his own compressor but would that still a basic recommendation?

Let's say said friend lives in a different state, aside from Amazon is there any online shop that has a nice gift buy that goons could recommend? Thanks!

I have an Iwata Revolution CR and have had it for years. It is reliable, easy to clean and capable of remarkably fine line work to moving large amounts of paint for basecoats-- it is a very versatile piece of kit. I adore mine and highly recommend it.

The camo pattern on this fellow was done with it: