Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

haljordan posted:

Yeah right at the beginning of the clip I linked Michael Mann is talking about how cops aren't used to being overwhelmed by force and by people who know what they're doing and when it happens they fall apart and that poo poo is 1,000% correct lol

A good example of this is the unsolved string of crimes perpetrated by "The Brabant Killers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

Between 1982 and 1985 a series of holdups, robberies and maybe veiled assassinations were perpetrated by a group of between 4-10 unidentified suspects. When the police intervened in some cases, the suspects would overwhelm the police and escape without any casualties on their behalf.

for example in one case, a roadblock had been set up. the Killers stopped their vehicle, calmly exited and opened fire on the police with unusual precision and escaped.

the story gets even weirder from there when you examine the details of the events, but I'm not gonna get into parapolitics itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BasicLich posted:

the story gets even weirder from there when you examine the details of the events,

uh.. yeah

wikipedia posted:

though significant resources are still dedicated to the case, the most recent arrests are of the now-retired original senior detectives themselves, for alleged evidence tampering.

also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madani_Bouhouche

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BasicLich posted:

A good example of this is the unsolved string of crimes perpetrated by "The Brabant Killers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

Between 1982 and 1985 a series of holdups, robberies and maybe veiled assassinations were perpetrated by a group of between 4-10 unidentified suspects. When the police intervened in some cases, the suspects would overwhelm the police and escape without any casualties on their behalf.

for example in one case, a roadblock had been set up. the Killers stopped their vehicle, calmly exited and opened fire on the police with unusual precision and escaped.

the story gets even weirder from there when you examine the details of the events, but I'm not gonna get into parapolitics itt

quote:

November 9, around 7:30 p.m.: Armed robbery at the Delhaize supermarket on the Parklaan in Aalst. This market was outside the area the gang usually operated in. They arrived while an armed patrol that checked the supermarket was still present. A family of four encountered the perpetrators in the parking lot after they left the shop and the mother, father, and daughter were killed apparently without motive. The surviving boy from the family ran back into the shop where he was singled out and shot at point blank range; he was very badly wounded in the hip. Less than $25,000 was taken, and eight people were killed with several others seriously injured. Gang members (wearing bizarre face paint and disguises) roared at and taunted customers. They also were reportedly laughing and smiling during the gratuitous shootings, which were done by the "Killer". The robbers did not leave the scene right away after returning to their parked getaway vehicle. The patrol vehicle from Belgium's Rijkswacht/Gendarmerie backed some distance away when shooting started; the municipal police arrived, although many of their cars had refused to start, but mainly remained at an exit of the parking lot that was well away from the gang. The getaway began with the "Giant" walking alongside the getaway car. A policeman fired his revolver at the gang's VW, which went through an unblocked exit and sped away. Rijkswacht/Gendarmerie vehicles stayed put, but a police van pursued the gang for a few kilometers.

:stare: what the everloving gently caress :stare:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i mean not to derail the thread or anything but everything in those wikipedia articles makes it pretty clear that a faction of the gendarmerie did all that poo poo and didnt even really try to hide it very much. so yea obviously the cops are going to be easily overrun by robbers if those robbers are literally the country's own paramilitary security force lol

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 30, 2023

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

without any convictions we can't say that for certain, it's equally just as likely that a bunch of football hooligans were mag dumping as soon as they kicked open the door of a sleepy grocery store, made off with a bunch of champagne and cooking oil, and burned it all

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mister Speaker posted:

Hahaha that's awesome, Brando ruled.

A few pages back someone mentioned this and it just popped back into my mind: Do we ever find out what's actually in the case in Ronin? I remember the case itself being the kind of case you'd carry figure skates in, but not if it's ever opened or anything.
It's something that a Frenchman is selling that both the Russians and the IRA want. I think the original writer suggested it was banknote printing plates, but :iiam:

sad question
May 30, 2020

Having recently re watched Heat and watched Ronin for the first time I can confirm they indeed rule

I remember watching Spartan in cinema and enjoying it, although I think it weirdly avoided having any exposition? May be a time for a rewatch

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nice, I've never heard of Spartan, will check it out purely on account of Val Kilmer but also because it's got Philliam H. Muffman in it.

Have we talked about Wrath of Man ITT? I feel like we have, but either way it's worth watching if you like heist/crime movies. It's Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham doing violence as usual. The script and editing feel more than a bit clumsy, in sort of a "what was the budget for this movie" kind of way, but the last couple of acts are very enjoyable, and the whole conceit of the robbers turning tail and running away literally as soon as they see Statham's face is a fun one because you can stop the movie right there and go "Yeah I'd probably run away too." Also he kills Post Malone.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mister Speaker posted:

Nice, I've never heard of Spartan, will check it out purely on account of Val Kilmer but also because it's got Philliam H. Muffman in it.

Have we talked about Wrath of Man ITT? I feel like we have, but either way it's worth watching if you like heist/crime movies. It's Guy Ritchie and Jason Statham doing violence as usual. The script and editing feel more than a bit clumsy, in sort of a "what was the budget for this movie" kind of way, but the last couple of acts are very enjoyable, and the whole conceit of the robbers turning tail and running away literally as soon as they see Statham's face is a fun one because you can stop the movie right there and go "Yeah I'd probably run away too." Also he kills Post Malone.

Wrath of Man is one of my favorite movies from the past five years and I am pretty embarrassed by it. I know objectively it's not a "good" movie but I just really enjoy it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You guys are nuts if you don’t think Robert Pattinson isn’t the best/ second best Batman.

Going to rewatch Heat with the wife tonight

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
robert pattinson as batman was the only good part about that movie

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah you’re right

I liked how the Batmobile is a monster

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

To be fair Robert Pattinson is usually the best part of any film he’s in.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Professor Shark posted:

To be fair Robert Pattinson is usually the best part of any film he’s in.

He was really excellent in Good Time

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
ive been watching heist movies and while good time is perhaps not a traditional heist movie i think it still warrants inclusion so adding it to the list.

most recently watched something called "logan lucky" a pretty mid sodherbergh thing. had none of the charm of oceans 11. would not recommend

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

He also has an awesome scene I can't imagine other Batmans doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnVEUB3RMW0

nahh. never again. Most play bruce wayne as a recluse. maybe a philanthropist. Keaton played him as a rich guy who you wanted to stay away from

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Check out Blue Ruin if you like some realistic violence interspersed with some interesting acting and a revenge story. It's low budget so the pace is slow, but this scene that happens near the start of the movie might give you an idea: (*graphic violence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWZO_QOjdE

Green Room is by the same director and uses realistic violence to punctuate the story. It's actually a lot of fun if you dont mind the light gore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8XSARX3DQg&t=105s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Good Time and Green Room are the most tense movies I've ever seen. GT had me and my buddies shouting "NO" in the theatre, and I was still jacked up by GR two days after watching it.

People rave about Uncut Gems but GT is the Safdies' masterpiece.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

thathonkey posted:

ive been watching heist movies and while good time is perhaps not a traditional heist movie i think it still warrants inclusion so adding it to the list.

most recently watched something called "logan lucky" a pretty mid sodherbergh thing. had none of the charm of oceans 11. would not recommend

Conversely, I loved "Logan Lucky". Fun heist, lots of interesting characters, some good twists.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

thathonkey posted:

robert pattinson as batman was the only good part about that movie

it was an interesting choice to make bruce wayne a huge crybaby

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBboyvN3s-o

Running Scared is the most tense action/horror movie I can remember seeing

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vampire Panties posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBboyvN3s-o

Running Scared is the most tense action/horror movie I can remember seeing

I remember watching Running Scared for the first time like, eh, whatever Paul Walker, more FAST N FURIOUS or what

and then walking away pleasantly surprised

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

I remember watching Running Scared for the first time like, eh, whatever Paul Walker, more FAST N FURIOUS or what

and then walking away pleasantly surprised

:same:

I don't think I saw it until 2010 or so, for the same reason.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vampire Panties posted:

:same:

I don't think I saw it until 2010 or so, for the same reason.

it was only a year or two after it came out for me, but I gave it a chance and it's still a movie that I have fond memories of as far as the genre

sad question
May 30, 2020

I felt like revisiting Mel Gibson movie Payback. It technically contains a heist so it somewhat fits the thread's vibe :v: Anyway, I was surprised to learn that it had a director's cut that was supposed to make it closer to his vision, before control was supposedly wrestled away from him by studio and Gibson.

It's pretty good. Blue filter and voice overs are removed and it has a different ending. But the main difference is how Porter comes off as a character. He's a really nasty and sociopathic piece of poo poo. It's been a while since I saw theatrical cut but I remember him coming off a lot more human in that. The neat thing is how this change is achieved almost entirely by editing choices, since the movie plays out the same in both versions (except the endings).

All in all, pretty good movie about absolutely awful people

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

You guys are nuts if you don’t think Robert Pattinson isn’t the best/ second best Batman.

he was fine but they just need to stop making batmans altogether now. enough.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
they should make heat II instead

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sad question posted:

I felt like revisiting Mel Gibson movie Payback. It technically contains a heist so it somewhat fits the thread's vibe :v: Anyway, I was surprised to learn that it had a director's cut that was supposed to make it closer to his vision, before control was supposedly wrestled away from him by studio and Gibson.

It's pretty good. Blue filter and voice overs are removed and it has a different ending. But the main difference is how Porter comes off as a character. He's a really nasty and sociopathic piece of poo poo. It's been a while since I saw theatrical cut but I remember him coming off a lot more human in that. The neat thing is how this change is achieved almost entirely by editing choices, since the movie plays out the same in both versions (except the endings).

All in all, pretty good movie about absolutely awful people

Watch Point Blank, it's an earlier adaptation of The Hunter.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

sad question posted:

You're right about minimal editing making a big difference. Two instances I can think of off the top of my head are:

1) At the beginning where he steals from the "crippled" homeless guy. In the theatrical cut, the music's lighter, the shot of Porter choking the guy is shorter, and there's an ADR line of "Hey, I cured ya!" as a joke in reference to the guy being able to stand up and walk. In the director's cut, the choking shot is longer, the music is more downbeat, and there's no dialogue at all. It just shows what a brutal rear end in a top hat Porter is.

2) At the ending of the James Coburn scene, where he asks Porter if he's doing it for "The principle of it, or something?" In the theatrical cut, Porter jokingly teases "Stop it, I'm getting misty" to keep up the levity of that version. In the director's cut, he just bluntly says "No, I just want my money back."

Bip Roberts posted:

Also do this.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

thathonkey posted:

they should make heat II instead
Remake Heat, but every character is a different Batman.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Remake Jurassic park but every character is a different batman.

Including the dinosaurs.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I assume animated gifs already exist with grant looking at a Michael Keaton headed Brontosaurus and a "Clever girl" Leto pops out

Edit: Clooney eats a lawyer off the toilet

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The music swells as every one gets out of their jeeps to stare at giant Adam Wests standing on there hind legs to eat the leaves off the tops of trees.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Slugworth posted:

Remake Heat, but every character is a different Batman.

the characters of heat shouldve been in ready player one

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
It's my birthday today, and I'm 33!

That means only one thing...BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*every character from every Michael Mann film comes in with everything for a HUGE party*

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Rascar Capac posted:

*every character from every Michael Mann film comes in with everything for a HUGE party*

I wanna hang out with two Dennis Farinas.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Throwing back some brews with the Brian Cox Hannibal Lecter

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Me, when Waingro arrives but isn't sure if he's invited:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bip Roberts posted:

Afterwards, you'll want to watch 'Charley Varrick' and 'The Outfit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I've still not seen Heat. Should I watch Heat? I know that shootout is cool, but is the rest of the movie any good?