Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Niwrad posted:

It never made sense to trade that high of a pick for basically one year of a player when you're in a rebuild. Even if he had played well, he'd have been a free agent. We would all take Joey Porter Jr. over him in a heartbeat.

I still don't get why there are people trying to defend the trade somehow. It made no sense at the time and there's no point in defending Poles now that he's been exposed.

If Claypool had been decent and it helped the front office evaluate Fields, I think that trade might have been OK. It's not about the production he gives the team for one year, it's about the information he should have given the front office about Fields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If Claypool had been decent and it helped the front office evaluate Fields, I think that trade might have been OK. It's not about the production he gives the team for one year, it's about the information he should have given the front office about Fields.

I agree that you needed talent to see if Fields was the guy. But Poles put him behind the worst offensive line in football and gave him no weapons to throw to. So he didn't see it that way. Maybe he changed his mind later and that's why they panic traded for Claypool.

I was one of the guys screaming that while clearing cap space was good, they needed to have some talent on that side of the ball to see what they had. Heck, I thought maybe they didn't view Fields as their future QB because of how lovely a spot they put him in.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

I still don't buy that Claypool was dragging the offense down himself. It helps to have more willing blockers out there but Tyler Scott and ESB suck as receivers.

I mean. Claypool's routes were also lazy and bad. Like Mooney or loving ESB have been getting open running Claypool's routes Pity Mooney seemingly can't track the ball anymore tho. If your recievers are being poo poo running routes it like removes any stress the DB's face as it means Safeties don't have to help Corners or worry about rotating.

The playcalling has been better, but like it is very possible that Claypool was having a negative effect on the offense with his lack of effort

Edit:

Also bad Vibes can be actively devastating to a young team.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 6, 2023

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, I think it helps. One thing that was evident in the game is how DJ Moore is a legit #1 and Mooney is not. I still like Mooney as a #2 or #3, but comparing how both of them handled a ball thrown in the end zone 1-on-1 shows the difference.

Hopefully Fields and Moore are building some trust with each other. Moore can definitely be one of those guys you throw it up to in man coverage and he comes down with it most of the time. Fields has never really had a receiver like that.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Reminds me of Cutler talking about Hester.

He’s not really a “go up and get it type of guy”.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Eberflus: I'll be blunt. Chase's latest escapade goes far beyond the realm of the loaf. Your WR is a ravenous demon, relentlessly gnawing at all that's good and true!
Poles: (laughing) Yeah, he's somethin else all right.
Eberflus: But worst of all, he drags down the PFF grades of anyone who plays near him. Just look at this pattern!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/_MarcusD3_/status/1710441676236308812

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I sort of feel bad for Eberflus. He seems like a nice guy who is just in over his head.

https://twitter.com/MarkPotash/status/1710337584994336885?t=WPRkAWvN1XKR64ty4hwNsA&s=19

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Michigan Avenue AND Hutchinson Field are in Chicago?! I call BS.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Honestly the best thing is that Poles seems willing to get rid of a Poles guy within 7 months of getting him

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
https://twitter.com/tomsilverstein/status/1710382629906780191

Shmtur
Jul 23, 2005

Cut him and move on.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

thanks for the memories bahk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFY3vpKDII&t=70s

although tbh id like for them to try one more time, it's not the packers need the cap space next year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Watching this Bears game is goddamn hilarious.

Every single time they take out Tevin Jenkins. The Bears run game stops working.

Tevin comes in on his limited snaps that he has and suddenly Herbert Looks like prime Walter Payton

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Honestly the best thing is that Poles seems willing to get rid of a Poles guy within 7 months of getting him

Yeah, a lot of GMs will get stuck in the ground with their guys to avoid the exact kind of embarrassment Poles is going through right now but at least he got SOMETHING for him.

Just, y'know.

Try to not make such bad moves in the first place going forward.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I love Tev so much, reminds me of Kyle Long.

Just please stay healthy man.

https://twitter.com/TevenJenkins/status/1710409885412647330

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol here's one from the file cabinet on Claypool I had totally forgotten this.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1469165786975637509

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I have a question for Vikings fans. Do you feel your defense has looked better the last couple of weeks?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
They played against a rookie QB last week. So no.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MJeff posted:

Between him and Juju the steelers for a bit had a real knack for finding WRs who were...not menaces like post-vontaze antonio brown, but supernaturally annoying

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 7, 2023

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

MJeff posted:

looking forward to him doing something really stupid for the Dolphins and causing us to lose a playoff game to the Bills by 38 points instead of 31

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It’s called the London Look mate

Very high fashion

Clearly hasn't watched America's Next Top Model. Very flawsome.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah man,

I still would have taken Jalen Carter, because he's just an elite talent.

But like man, they really found a tackle in Wright.

Outside of the like 2-3, "Hey rook you can't get away with that at the NFL level." moments per game dude is very very good.(lmao that play he tried to plant and stop loving Montez Sweat, stopping his feet and just getting ran past)

Like Compared to Braxton who I think had a pretty decent rookie year, You had to send help his way on passing downs especially if he is going against someone with a bull rush.

Darnell Wright is being put on an island against some of the best rushers in the league and holding his own.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Gibbs moved to Doubtful :/

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Gibbs moved to Doubtful :/

Gettin the full monty you paid for.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Gibbs and Amon Ra not expected to play, per Schefter.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

On a scale of 1-10, how worried are you folks? I’m at like a 4 :ohdear:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If I was trying to come up with a way for the Lions to unexpectedly get pantsed by the Panthers for the second time in a row, "No Branch, Amon Ra or Gibbs" is probably where I would start.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

If Goff, Hutch, and Sewell all start puking their guts out tomorrow morning, and a sudden schedule change makes the Lions have to play the 49ers instead of the Panthers, I'll be worried. As it stands, the Lions should be deep enough to beat a winless team at home even if they're down their best offensive and second-best defensive player.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I think I'm at about a 3? This is absolutely a game the Lions can lose, and having 3 of our best players out is gonna be rough. But at the same time, the Panthers are not a good team right now. Their roster and their coaching are worse than last year, their morale is in the toilet, and they're winless against some very mediocre teams. Plus, Detroit will have Emmanuel Mosley and Jamo back, and while that doesn't make up for losing Branch and ARSB it does lessen the sting a little.

Feel free to quote this post when we somehow lose by multiple scores

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Panthers have spent several more games looking several orders more hapless, but, the Seahawks looked like quite bad going into their game against the Lions, and then that game was a shot for shot remake of the Lions/Seahawks game from last year.

If Miles Sanders breaks off a 40 yard run 30 seconds into the game, I'm gonna start freakin' out, that's all I'm sayin'.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I picked up the Detroit D in fantasy and my last six grabs have all suffered horrible meltdowns or injuries, so… good luck y’all!

edit: sorry about Gibbs

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 8, 2023

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Cambpell is also going to make sure everyone is aptly motivated.

I'm not worried. Good teams find ways to win.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well that should be very concerning for a NFCNorth team

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
This is definitely a game the old lions would come out flat and lose, so of course we fans are nervous.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Hizawk posted:

Cambpell is also going to make sure everyone is aptly motivated.

I'm not worried. Good teams find ways to win.

You heard him before the Seahawks game, right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s the NFL, anyone can beat anyone. Today’s gonna be mostly about the defense I’m guessing.

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

MJeff posted:

The Panthers have spent several more games looking several orders more hapless, but, the Seahawks looked like quite bad going into their game against the Lions, and then that game was a shot for shot remake of the Lions/Seahawks game from last year.

If Miles Sanders breaks off a 40 yard run 30 seconds into the game, I'm gonna start freakin' out, that's all I'm sayin'.
Oh it's guaranteed to happen now, maybe not within the first 30 seconds though

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Marvin Jones caught a pass?! This game is going to be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

I might've been expecting the wrong team to do this.