Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

skimothy milkerson posted:

one of the constants in the getting stronger and bigger world is to hang back a bit and slowly progress. in general you should be working well within your ability and getting better at that level. I think Dan John said something like this: increase your "80%" effort, not your 100% effort. take something that is kind of hard, and make that easy, then repeat

it's really difficult to marry this up with the "culture" of "chasing PRs" and "lmao 1 plaet bech dyel" but it's 100% the right way to live your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People who go hard all the time don't last long. Everyone who's been in the game long enough knows that it's the right way.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

it’s not hard for me because I am not 23 anymore

which sounds snarkier than I mean it to but it’s the same as all other bullshit you just gotta tune it out

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

well why not posted:

it's really difficult to marry this up with the "culture" of "chasing PRs" and "lmao 1 plaet bech dyel" but it's 100% the right way to live your life

yeah its so hard to detach from the fantasy world of social media and also separate the good, tangible, material that doesn't live anywhere else

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

People who go hard all the time don't last long. Everyone who's been in the game long enough knows that it's the right way.

yeah the lesson is "Always Be Chillin". even loving starting strength says this but doesn't promote it enough

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i appreciate the post and also the followup. i think i'm extra nervous because my dad hurt his back shoveling snow in the blizzard of 96 and he was never the same afterward

following the stronglifts 5x5 program i only deadlift 1x5 at working weight, and only every other workout. i can do the warmup sets with confidence, so i think i just need more experience. i've only been deadlifting for like 8 months

what you’re doing is good and if anything protective against doing a dad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most of my adult injuries are from overtraining, take care of you selfs because as you age the recovery only get longer and less effective

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i've had these portable pullup bar things for a while (duonamic eleviia) and I really like them. they actually feel more robust than the usual iron gym style doorframe bar and because they're so easy to put up and down I put them away after use, thus avoiding my apartment looking like a college dorm room

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

big shtick energy posted:

i've had these portable pullup bar things for a while (duonamic eleviia) and I really like them. they actually feel more robust than the usual iron gym style doorframe bar and because they're so easy to put up and down I put them away after use, thus avoiding my apartment looking like a college dorm room

I have an iron gym bar in the closet, but since I have an actual gym membership I just do my pullups there.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

most of my adult injuries are from overtraining, take care of you selfs because as you age the recovery only get longer and less effective

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i checked my body fat with some skin calipers. 20.2% allegedly, but the guy in the mirror/monitor looks way fatter

anyhow thinking of strategically modifying my eating habits. I want to actually see some muscles

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I eat out waaay too often, eat too much bread, and need to cut out sugary coffee drinks and booze. I’m pretty active otherwise. walking everyday and lifting 3 days a week

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

strong recommendation for using a calorie tracker like LoseIt: I've lost 10lbs since midsummer with no major intentional changes to my diet or exercise routines except for modulating the amounts of what I'm eating to more or less fit in my daily calorie budget

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

strong recommendation for using a calorie tracker like LoseIt: I've lost 10lbs since midsummer with no major intentional changes to my diet or exercise routines except for modulating the amounts of what I'm eating to more or less fit in my daily calorie budget

yeah, I’m gonna start tracking. if I can break my fast food habit I think it’ll go a long ways. weather should start cooling down here soon so I also look forward to longer walks with my doggo

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

yeah, I’m gonna start tracking. if I can break my fast food habit I think it’ll go a long ways. weather should start cooling down here soon so I also look forward to longer walks with my doggo

Tracking is great for breaking out of calorie-dense habits imo because I learned pretty quickly that not many things taste good enough to counterbalance the feeling of "jesus loving christ that meal was 1300 fuckin' calories" as you log what you thought was a reasonable McLunch

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

Tracking is great for breaking out of calorie-dense habits imo because I learned pretty quickly that not many things taste good enough to counterbalance the feeling of "jesus loving christ that meal was 1300 fuckin' calories" as you log what you thought was a reasonable McLunch

yeah. bread is always the worst offender, too. which sucks because I love bread

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

yeah. bread is always the worst offender, too. which sucks because I love bread

bread rules, that's why I don't keep it in the freezer anymore because if I want to throw myself off by going ham on half a loaf of it I better be getting the best possible product for the calories

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

There's a little meal prep business close by I'm gonna try. The hardest part about dieting is meal planning imo.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

meal planning always sucks. it helps to keep a list of foods you like to cook and then just make a "menu" once you get enough variety built up. I wrote an app years back that would just randomly make me a menu from a list of meals

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dieting when you're the one cooking is easy-mode. difficult is when someone else cooks dinner and you need to work around that.

of course you can always just...go cook dinner, but that's gonna be dependent on family dynmic, most saliently if there's a young kid that'll be bummed that Dad gets [x] but he has to eat [y] (regardless of what x is)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

took my dog on a 1.6 mile walk this morning. about to go again this evening. I call this "cardio"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

day 5 of eating a calorie deficit....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUiPCFopDJM&t=273s

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

last Monday I weighed 206.4
today I weighed in at 202.2

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

starting week 2 of weightlifting class today, may today be the Day I finally enter my himbo phase

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

inshallah brother

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

weighed in this morning at 200.2 I think my goal is to be 170. I want my doctor to stop calling my liver “fatty” :mad:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve gotten really bad about exercise again. trying to learn to curtail my snack cravings into coffee or tea

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve gotten really bad about exercise again. trying to learn to curtail my snack cravings into coffee or tea

I’m walking a bunch. it’s easy and my dog enjoys going with me

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Dijkstracula posted:

starting week 2 of weightlifting class today, may today be the Day I finally enter my himbo phase

its really good to maintain himbocity towards lifts imo, and doing them begets that positivity

like best thing for my mental ever

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

akadajet posted:

I’m walking a bunch. it’s easy and my dog enjoys going with me

I walk at work when I get the chance. doesn’t feel like much though. my current goal is to get on the exercise bike for at least two hours total on weekends, and work up to at least 30 mins on weeknights too

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my father-in-law does his standup meetings or whatever on his exercise bike.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
tried elevated lunges on the smith machine yesterday and boy i’m feeling it today

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I went to the doctor yesterday who did some tests and confirmed it was almost certainly just a back spasm and nothing serious like a pinched nerve. I have some back stretches to do and will probably continue to take it easy for another month with just machine weights and jogging

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

donated blood today. fun fact: there are like 600 calories lost in giving blood. and if you donate enough they'll probably give you some nice t-shirts 4 the gym.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
lost calories? you mean lost gains

inset
Sep 20, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Dijkstracula posted:

hell yeah fellow weightlifting class-goer, I've been going twice a week for six weeks now 💪

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

lost calories? you mean lost gains

if you lose fat ur muscles are more visible

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

if you lose fat ur muscles are more visible

The Machinist (2004, dir. B. Anderson)

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

inset posted:

hell yeah fellow weightlifting class-goer, I've been going twice a week for six weeks now 💪

Nice, is it powerlifting or something like trx?

I need to get back into group workouts. I need people there to motivate me or I just bro out on the chest fly machine :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Nice, is it powerlifting or something like trx?

mine so far is just basic lifts but the coaches are on the powerlifting team on campus so I think ultimately that’s what we will end up transitioning into