Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah I only played around an hour and a half but the Devil May Space feeling of it isn't too bad. It just feels like the combat is going to be either too easy or brutally hard later.

It's also not scary, at all. It's to the point where the guy at the start gives you a shiv made out of a wrench and I was so non spooked that I just kept going "bro do you know how long it would take to sharpen a *wrench*?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That guy is so over-the-top friendly and trusting of someone he just met on prisonworld that it's hilarious. Last night when I was playing, he found a gun and immediately tossed it to me. So he's super chill about being unarmed during a zombie outbreak, as long as his new buddy can defend himself. I suspect there will be more to him later on, but for now it's really funny

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

I liked the lighting effects in the game, it's not the worst thing to play through on lower difficulties. Definitely not horror and the combat is pretty shallow.

I wish someone could take the world/engine from this and put on better gameplay and story. Sort of the same feeling I had with Scorn as well...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Callisto Protocol is high up there on my video game "how did this get made" list. Bizarre and boring choices all around.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

Callisto Protocol is high up there on my video game "how did this get made" list. Bizarre and boring choices all around.

They probably weren't expecting the Dead Space remake to come out around the same time and completely eat their lunch

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No music in a Remedy game will ever be as corny and stupid as that psycho song from American Nightmare, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CxpkBlNqtA

this actually kicks rear end in like a "Papa Roach playing at the end of a Jet Li movie" kind of way. also in Alan Wake news: seems like they're running some kind of promotional ARG https://twitter.com/MachineHidden/status/1710158250660794820

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

People will scoff at the psycho song but then clap and hoot at the ashtray maze. It's the same picture !

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i thought the ashtray maze soundtrack was A Little Much personally

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They probably weren't expecting the Dead Space remake to come out around the same time and completely eat their lunch

I mean it's terrible outside of that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You knew things were going downhill when it severed ties with the PUBG universe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Chad Jihad posted:

People will scoff at the psycho song but then clap and hoot at the ashtray maze. It's the same picture !

The songs are really wack outside of their context ngl

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Oh hey callisto protocol (in the universe of pubg) is in this month's Playstation plus package... Is it worth playing even free

I would vote yes. It's not the Ultimate Scary Game experience that was pumped leading up to it's release but I would say it's decent. I'm just miffed that I pre-ordered it and paid full price for an incomplete game. In retrospect I would've thought twenty to thirty bucks would've been a fair price for what I got.

It's kind of in a similar vein to RE3 Remake in my book. If I had paid full price I would've been slightly offput that I barely got any game, but since I got that one for like twenty bucks I thought it was awesome.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, if they released Honor Amongst Thieves after BG3 it probably would've done a lot better. Had a bunch of Oh poo poo, that's from the movie moments. Like the description for Speak to the Dead

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

I mean it's terrible outside of that.

Yeah but lots of mediocre games can still do alright by catering to an underserved niche. Callisto Protocol has the misfortune of coming out right alongside the thing people actually wanted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Releasing your mediocre clone of a game months before not just the remake of that game but also the remake of the game that inspired *that* game is hilariously bad luck.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i dont think releasing the callisto protocol at any other point wouldve really helped it

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Maybe if it came out in 2017-18.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's funny that Callisto Protocol spent its marketing time going "our kills are so hardcore you can't even believe it, in fact pay extra to unlock even more hardcore deaths if you can take it" and seeing them in game they just look like poo poo. Dead Space has better deaths than this and I'm not talking about the remake.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

There was an early kill by robot that I thought was pretty gnarly but otherwise so far, yeah, it's just regular gory. I'm at the "shoe" and so far it's OK. Don't feel like I'm wasting my time but glad it's free through ps+. What mostly gets me is that it feels like a weird combination of Dead Space knockoff (stomping in particular) and different gameplay ideas that seem like they got to a point where they realized they weren't working but were too far to turn back.

Melee seems like the big mistake, though. "what if you could hand to hand a necromorph" goes against the point of fast zombies. Fighting two zombies at once should be a near death sentence, not a timing puzzle due to the combat system not allowing swarming. It also wrecks the tension if I don't have to fear close quarters, which is what Dead Space relies on.

Maybe something changes later, kinda doubt it though.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 8, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zachack posted:

There was an early kill by robot that I thought was pretty gnarly but otherwise so far, yeah, it's just regular gory. I'm at the "shoe" and so far it's OK. Don't feel like I'm wasting my time but glad it's free through ps+. What mostly gets me is that it feels like a weird combination of Dead Space knockoff (stomping in particular) and different gameplay ideas that seem like they got to a point where they realized they weren't working but were too far to turn back.

Melee seems like the big mistake, though. "what if you could hand to hand a necromorph" goes against the point of fast zombies. Fighting two zombies at once should be a near death sentence, not a timing puzzle due to the combat system not allowing swarming. It also wrecks the tension if I don't have to fear close quarters, which is what Dead Space relies on.

Maybe something changes later, kinda doubt it though.

It's a recurring pattern in video game horror that some really great horror game will come out, have awkward, janky combat, then someone else goes "what if we did that but made the combat good" and then it inevitably kills all the horror because it turns out the combat was awkward on purpose and being good at fighting removes any sense of threat the enemies pose.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The songs are really wack outside of their context ngl

NGL the psycho song showed up in my Spotify feed way before I knew it was made for a video game (in retrospect its poets of the fall of course its a game song)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Oh hey callisto protocol (in the universe of pubg) is in this month's Playstation plus package... Is it worth playing even free

If u like space horror, sure why not. Nothing to write home about though

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I heard removing the PUBG connection actually made it worse. Also the radio play was cool?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Oh my god i forgot it was supposed to be in the PUBG setting lolllll

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Fuligin posted:

Oh my god i forgot it was supposed to be in the PUBG setting lolllll

Pubg has a setting???

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Disposable Scud posted:

I heard removing the PUBG connection actually made it worse. Also the radio play was cool?

The radio play has Michael Ironside in it. How do you get Michael Ironside and not put him in your actual game?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Pubg has a setting???
It's on their home page, anyway. Boils down to "in the grim darkness of the 22nd Century the Earth's an even bigger shithole thanks to more wars and environmental collapse, the rich live in the only nice places left on the planet and have the poor do Battle Royales for their amusement, driven by the hope of a chance to escape poverty". I don't know if many actually care about the lore but it exists, however flimsily.

The ones saying that removing the ties actually hurts the game is because they see that the whole set-up, cliché though it may be, kinda fits the idea of it being just another twisted Battle Royale in a lot of places, and they didn't really do much to massage the story after deciding against keeping it as a PUBG Extended Universe so it leaves a lot of thematic stuff awkwardly divorced of the framing it was built around.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hogama posted:

It's on their home page, anyway. Boils down to "in the grim darkness of the 22nd Century the Earth's an even bigger shithole thanks to more wars and environmental collapse, the rich live in the only nice places left on the planet and have the poor do Battle Royales for their amusement, driven by the hope of a chance to escape poverty". I don't know if many actually care about the lore but it exists, however flimsily.

The ones saying that removing the ties actually hurts the game is because they see that the whole set-up, cliché though it may be, kinda fits the idea of it being just another twisted Battle Royale in a lot of places, and they didn't really do much to massage the story after deciding against keeping it as a PUBG Extended Universe so it leaves a lot of thematic stuff awkwardly divorced of the framing it was built around.

Again, not too far yet, but yeah it would probably help if the game explains why a big prison exists on a moon, since so far there hasn't been any "you get to be a miner" stuff and the opening just looks like a giant space prison like in that movie with Christopher Lambert. Presumably the "why" of the terrorist woman and the warden will be explained but it's interesting to compare this to Dead Space where you also learn as you go, but the core motivations of Isaac (rescue wife), the space station (mega mining), and the crew you arrive with (investigate radio silence p.s. you're stuck here now) are set up very quickly and lend a lot to the motivations of the player. Callisto obviously has the "wrongfully imprisoned" thing but the whole setup is bizarre at the start.

Related, I'm playing System Shock and while that has some truly ridiculous early 90s level design, it has a better sense of orientation on each floor than Callisto where I'm going forward but with no sense of place. It's not a huge issue, and evil prison design coupled with quasi infinite space via tunneling could maybe justify this, but I constantly feel like I'm moving through a string of rooms, not a place. Dead Space again being the obvious excellent example (and I'm talking about the OG, haven't played the remake).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

On that note, I went back to Callisto again yesterday and just wound up mad at it - I just spent my time wandering back and forth, completely lost as to where I was going. I guess between the relatively short sessions I've put in and all the distractions in between them, nothing about the map has sunk in for me, and as far as I know there aren't any Dead Space-esque waypoint assists to help you out. I'll see how things look with another try, but it'll be kind of aggravating if that's what turns me off of the game rather than anything to do with combat or story.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think I'm punching out on The Callisto Protocol. It's not *bad* when it's wandering through hallways or fighting enemies one on one but the melee combat is just not built for multiple enemies in an encounter. I got to a point where I was facing down three at once and the melee combat absolutely lost its poo poo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I read what happens in the DLC and lol, what a poo poo ending

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Been trying some spooky stuff in honor of the month:
Little Nightmares
Visage
Detention
White Day
Phasmaphobia
The Cat Lady

Visage I haven't touched since early access, so it was nice to go back and see the finished product. I'm not sure how many scares I missed since I kept my sanity pretty decently managed, but Lisa's story still had some pretty good moments from the halfway point on. I'll tackle the rest of the content later in the month.

Detention was because I realized I never played it after reading about Devotion in the thread and double checking my Steam library to see if I had previously purchased it. It was fine? There really weren't that many ghosts in the game despite them having all the mechanic explanations about them. Kinda makes you wonder why they didn't commit to either no ghosts or more ghosts. Enjoyed the overall story at least.

White Day.... In hindsight I wish I had read up on it a little more because I would have cranked the difficulty to hard so there would be ghost encounters in the game. Whose bright idea was that.. Overall playing hide and seek while banging my head against the puzzles was not the most pleasant of times.

Little Nightmares and The Cat Lady I'm firing up starting this week so we'll see how those go.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

White Day is particularly frustrating because it has some legitimately terrifying moments but it is probably the least enjoyable game in the world to actually play.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'd be interested to hear your take on Little Nightmares after you play it. I dig that series a lot. And I think Phasmo is more fun multiplayer (though way less scary). I'd be up for playing when you get to it

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Enemabag Jones posted:

White Day is particularly frustrating because it has some legitimately terrifying moments but it is probably the least enjoyable game in the world to actually play.

Care mentioning your highlights?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Cranking up the difficulty on White Day really makes it insufferable. The janitor becomes near-omnipotent with the speed of an Olympic sprinter, so if he sees you you're pretty much done.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I was ready to defend Callisto Protocol for being an ok game for 15 bucks (or free on playstation). But the game ate my save, and I can't get my cloud backup to work, so gently caress it

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I bought CP brand new at full price and I was sorely disappointed

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

By CP I meant Callisto Protocol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beat Paranormasight. I quite enjoyed it! I'll share other people's disappointment that the tutorial story makes you think this will be some kinda interactive horror puzzler where you're trying to out-guess other people's curses like a JoJo stand battle, but quickly it becomes apparent this is really a traditional VN with some light puzzle solving. But once I got over that, I like what I got overall. A fun, brisk read.