Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Person Dyslexic posted:

That weird riser thing in the middle is weird as all hell from a design perspective; Never really thought about how at-odds it was with the rest of the design. You also nailed it with the driving and I think that probably factors in more than anything else. I’ve noticed Scorpios loves to just come in swinging early in the match and usually ends up f’ing their weapon up when it hits a drum or vert. Sawblaze is WAY more surgical and Jamison has insane patience with timing his shots.

It’s like comparing Minotaur to Shreddit; even if Shreddit was 100% reliable I’d pick Freitas every time.

I think those upturned corners are meant to high-center an opponent, but they're probably too tall to actually get under them for a lot of competitors. Over the years everybody's ground game has been improving and the gap they're aiming for is very small now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't even know if high centering is even a useful strategy. Seems to me that they'd only be able to get one good hit out of an engagement anyway because of the spin up time for a hammer saw.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It's interesting that Sawblaze is the reining champ and Skorpios is mid-tier and falling.

I think plow shape plays a big role, and Jamison Go has the much better idea with the scoop while Skorpios has these weird little riser things in the middle of their plow that push opponents away, which is at odds with the goal of hitting them with the hammer saw.

I think they're intended to be like forks and get under the opponent, but they don't seem to work at all.

And then driving. I don't think Skorpios driver could ever snipe a battery with only 1-3 chances per fight like Jamison Go can.

Skorpios is optimized to fight horizontal spinners and has a good record against them, but never changed their front to adapt to the forked vert metagame.

Their weapon has always been kind of lackluster compared to SawBlaze as well.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I can't find any real sources on it from a quick search, but I'm relatively sure somewhere around Reddit is posted that the fights are not actually in a single day. Battlebots is a sport and a TV show and there's plenty of room for them to alter the truth a bit.

I'm going by the filming schedule. It looks like they did the entire thing over three days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

rarbatrol posted:

I think those upturned corners are meant to high-center an opponent, but they're probably too tall to actually get under them for a lot of competitors. Over the years everybody's ground game has been improving and the gap they're aiming for is very small now.

They also stop the opponent from riding up the front and smacking their weapon into the saw arm. Their position also keeps the opponent high centered and in position to get hit by the hammer saw. It's a very clever design. Their ground game just isn't what it used to be.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

It's interesting that Sawblaze is the reining champ and Skorpios is mid-tier and falling.

I think plow shape plays a big role, and Jamison Go has the much better idea with the scoop while Skorpios has these weird little riser things in the middle of their plow that push opponents away, which is at odds with the goal of hitting them with the hammer saw.

I think they're intended to be like forks and get under the opponent, but they don't seem to work at all.

And then driving. I don't think Skorpios driver could ever snipe a battery with only 1-3 chances per fight like Jamison Go can.

yeah. the risers are meant to trap a bot on them but it clearly doesn't happen and clearly inhibits its ability to get under other robot. if you want claws like that then it should be further up the wedge.

also its pretty clear (and the skorpios team knows it) that their disc is barely a quarter the strength of sawblaze's. probably less. like it straight up cannot really damage things outside of some outliers like the plastic on orby/blade's shell.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

also its pretty clear (and the skorpios team knows it) that their disc is barely a quarter the strength of sawblaze's. probably less. like it straight up cannot really damage things outside of some outliers like the plastic on orby/blade's shell.

Yeah it's another testament to Jamison Go's driving that he gets a hammersaw to work at all. Hammers and saws on their own don't do poo poo and I don't really think combining them adds all that much. Sawblaze does not really penetrate opponent's armor too much, but he does it exactly when and where he wants to. He would probably be just as effective with a pickaxe-type weapon or a Quantum-style crusher.

And if Sawblaze has to rely on perfect driving, this Skorpios design with the plow that doesn't hold opponents in place and a worse weapon is just hopeless.

Bodyholes posted:

Skorpios is optimized to fight horizontal spinners and has a good record against them, but never changed their front to adapt to the forked vert metagame.

That is a good point. The meta has not been kind to them.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah it's another testament to Jamison Go's driving that he gets a hammersaw to work at all. Hammers and saws on their own don't do poo poo and I don't really think combining them adds all that much. Sawblaze does not really penetrate opponent's armor too much, but he does it exactly when and where he wants to. He would probably be just as effective with a pickaxe-type weapon or a Quantum-style crusher.

Eh... I think Hammersaws are just straight up more effective than Hammers, Saws, or Crushers... for most types of matchups, for a variety of engineering reasons. It's a very good strategy--possibly the 2nd best after wedge verts. There's a reason we're seeing less successful hammers and crushers like Blacksmith and Kraken make the switch. I'd like to see a hammer or a crusher ever do the kind of damage Sawblaze did to Son of Whyachi or HUGE. I invite them to prove me wrong. I think a major tech breakthrough would be needed though.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 6, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I don't buy that Sawblaze does not penetrate opponents armor. We've seen it gently caress up way too many bots at this point. It's not Riptide or Tombstone but its clearly very surgical and clearly doing a buttload of damage. Skorpios, in contrast, straight up bounces off of other bots. Skorpios is not sniping the batteries on Minotaur or getting through Blip's armor. The idea that Sawblaze does not do damage is crazy to me and goes against a lot of its fights.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bodyholes posted:

Eh... I think Hammersaws are just straight up more effective than Hammers, Saws, or Crushers... for most types of matchups, for a variety of engineering reasons. It's a very good strategy--possibly the 2nd best after wedge verts. There's a reason we're seeing less successful hammers and crushers like Blacksmith and Kraken make the switch. I'd like to see a hammer or a crusher ever do the kind of damage Sawblaze did to Son of Whyachi or HUGE. I invite them to prove me wrong. I think a major tech breakthrough would be needed though.

Crushers are the only one that seems to be close in terms of damage effectiveness, but they're difficult to make and they're still unfortunately slow. Quantum is basically the only effective one atm but its a glimpse at the potential of the weapon design. It's just unfortunately going to be hard countered by either horizontals or anything that can beat its ground game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still want to see another 500 pound walker come back and do a thing, successfully or not

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Borsche69 posted:

Crushers are the only one that seems to be close in terms of damage effectiveness, but they're difficult to make and they're still unfortunately slow. Quantum is basically the only effective one atm but its a glimpse at the potential of the weapon design. It's just unfortunately going to be hard countered by either horizontals or anything that can beat its ground game.

Clawviper isn't quite a crusher but it's fast as gently caress and if it were a crusher, it would be pretty bonkers. I guess I want to see a stupid fast crusher!

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Clawviper isn't quite a crusher but it's fast as gently caress and if it were a crusher, it would be pretty bonkers. I guess I want to see a stupid fast crusher!

Claw Viper's totally a crusher, it just crushes the other bot between itself and the wall.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

:hmmyes: You've got a point. It's one of my breakout favorites for sure.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

I believe. I'm calling it.

Shreddit Bro over Skorpios in Round 1.
Wow

I was only half kidding. And I undersold it. Holy poo poo what an episode.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

Wow

I was only half kidding. And I undersold it. Holy poo poo what an episode.

Just imagine you're Evan and had to sit around during all of WCVII seeing all the crap thrown at the team knowing this episode was coming.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MikeNCR posted:

Just imagine you're Evan and had to sit around during all of WCVII seeing all the crap thrown at the team knowing this episode was coming.
I really can't. It must have been killing the entire team, sitting on that for drat near a whole year while they're widely considered the worst performing bot in the league.

But I understand the sly smiles and swagger on the NHRL streams and podcast a lot more now, lol

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

I don't buy that Sawblaze does not penetrate opponents armor. We've seen it gently caress up way too many bots at this point. It's not Riptide or Tombstone but its clearly very surgical and clearly doing a buttload of damage. Skorpios, in contrast, straight up bounces off of other bots. Skorpios is not sniping the batteries on Minotaur or getting through Blip's armor. The idea that Sawblaze does not do damage is crazy to me and goes against a lot of its fights.

Yeah Sawblaze hits extremely hard, it's not just the driving precision that causes so much damage. The design is so good because the weapon's pretty heavy for a saw, it can stay out of the way until 100% spun up/at full strength, the hammer mechanism is pretty quick, and lastly it attacks top armor which is often weaker than the rest of the opponent's armor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You know Battlebots hates team Riptide after giving Huge the most destructive award :lol:

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I always felt that Shreddit Bro could do well if they ever got it working reliably, I just wasn't sure they were doing that anytime soon. Speaking of reliability, what's happened with Skoprios? Compare the fight where they got ripped apart by Tombstone and still won with the one from the last episode. Their run this season wasn't great either, and with their choice to use the giant sword almost makes me feel like they've given up or know they're no longer competitive enough to win.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You know Battlebots hates team Riptide after giving Huge the most destructive award :lol:

That and giving the sportsmanship award to Martin Mason. Don’t get me wrong, I think he totally deserved it, but with the beef the two teams had combined with Huge getting most destructive award it really seems like they were just trying to piss team Riptide off and I’m here for it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Copperhead getting a hero's welcome in the pits after they beat Riptide is proof enough

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It's transitive. Riptide was most destructive. But Copperhead beat Riptide. And Huge beat Copperhead. Perfectly logic.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

MikeNCR posted:

He has to be sitting at his house trying to prevent his face from permanently morphing into the :smug: emote.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Purportedly the bracket for next week. I dunno if they showed this on the last episode and I just missed it or what.

It seems much better than this weeks in terms of competitive bots. That's a gauntlet right there.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Rip Blip.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, that was at the end of the episode.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
drat, I feel bad for Hijinx with that fuckin gauntlet.

With that said, if Shreddit can turn their entire reputation around in a single episode, so can they! I love the team and want great things for them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

drat, I feel bad for Hijinx with that fuckin gauntlet.

lol yeah they're the only bot I'd say is definitely low tier on this card. Fusion has a bad career record, but sometimes looks like it could take on the world.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wish they put the full Best In Show Awards up on Youtube or something but they just posted the highlight reel from the broadcast :(

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Finally finished the episode… Shreddit Bro I cannot believe it, where has this bot been?

Can we check Evan to make sure he still has ownership of his soul?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Blip-Bloodsport: Not surprising to see Black Dragon win, but it seems like it won by causing Blip to overheat in pushing matches, which is quite surprising.

Madcatter-Bloodsport: Well, we got that Bloodsport today. The sport is not kind to horizontal spinners these days. That flame is badass though. :lol: at the Madcatter team doing obviously fake work in the damage catch-up segment.

Malice-Hijinx: Well, Hijinx lasted longer than I expected. It seems like their theory of the fight was pretty good, but they just didn't have the power.

Whiplash-Fusion: :wow: that was a real return to form for Matty Vasquez. One of the best box rushes I've seen. Then just putting Fusion right on the angle it can't move. Where was this Whiplash last season?

Black Dragon-Madcatter: Tough break for Madcatter to have the weapon shut down for so long. I think they could have won it with the weapon on the whole time. They were really shoving Black Dragon around for a lot of it, but not getting much damage out of it.

Whiplash-Malice: Another Matty Special, just high-center the opponent on some weird architecture of the box. Whiplash is much better with the big play rather than the spinner. It requires a miracle to win every time without a real weapon, but he's good at making miracles.

Black Dragon-Whiplash: A real knife fight there. Just as I was talking poo poo on the Whiplash spinner, it put in a lot of work in that one. I wouldn't want to be a judge. I think you could make a good case for either, and it probably came down to Whiplash lost half drive but Black Dragon lost all weapon.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't screencap on Max, but next week's is:

Triton-Gigabyte

Double Tap-Beta

Deathroll-Slammo

Mammoth-Free Shipping

Did they draw these fight cards out of a hat or something? Had a bunch of loving killers tonight, and next week's field is weak af. Probably a bunch of good fights to be had in there still, but the lifetime average win % has gotta be like 33% there.

I assume Deathroll makes it out since it's the only good bot, but poo poo maybe Free Shipping's got a shot with that field.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should really give up on the Fusion design now. Stick with a double weapon idea sure but what they have just isn't working

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

They should really give up on the Fusion design now. Stick with a double weapon idea sure but what they have just isn't working

It does seem like it's an impossible engineering problem to keep both weapons and drive running without catching fire.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Can't screencap on Max, but next week's is:

Triton-Gigabyte

Double Tap-Beta

Deathroll-Slammo

Mammoth-Free Shipping

Did they draw these fight cards out of a hat or something? Had a bunch of loving killers tonight, and next week's field is weak af. Probably a bunch of good fights to be had in there still, but the lifetime average win % has gotta be like 33% there.

I assume Deathroll makes it out since it's the only good bot, but poo poo maybe Free Shipping's got a shot with that field.

They are most certainly just putting matchups together based on what they think will make either good fights or good storylines. Every week there's been potential rematches between bots in each bracket.

Next week is kind of a struggle for rematches with Double Tap, Triton, Slammo, and maybe even Beta having very few fights in Battlebots.

There's potential for several rematches from Championship 7 in next weeks bracket. Gigabyte Vs Free shipping, Mammoth Vs Deathroll, and the longshot comical option for Slammo Vs Doubletap.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They are most certainly just putting matchups together based on what they think will make either good fights or good storylines. Every week there's been potential rematches between bots in each bracket.

Ah, that makes some sense. And to their credit, I think Double Tap-Beta is the only turd of a fight in this bracket. Just feels off from a competitive standpoint that Whiplash had to run a gauntlet of heavy hitters, and, like, Deathroll's potentially toughest match is a long-in-the-tooth Gigabyte.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've caught up with the eps of the Golden Bolt matches and like everyone else I was very surprised by the emergence of Shreddit Bro as a winner but even more surprised that their opponents mostly took the bait of weapon-on-weapon fights instead of the real weakness of the Bro, their yummy wheels. I don't think Sawblaze would made that mistake, but it does take good driving. I thought Valkyrie would attack the wheels because that worked against Rotator but they wanted to do weapon hits too oh well. Shreddit Bro was on the whole also the best driver of the night which should shame everyone else on the card.

In ep 2 we have some stunning KOs to start off with, Blip's not particularly surprising to me, but Bloodsport's was rather sudden! And Malice shows how you defeat an opponent with good driving and taking out the wheels when taking on their weapon isn't feasible. Speaking of driving, a real treat with brilliant Vasquez' driving against poor Reese's Fusion, upside down and on fire immediately and then put in a corner. I'd like to see the judges cards on the Madcatter v Black Dragon fight, it must have been close. And then Whiplash repeats the humilation for Black Dragon meted out to Fusion. Those stats for Vasquez are impressive, Jameson Go has a competitor! I think I have to agree that the decision on Whiplash v Black Dragon had to have come down on the loss of the weapon for Black Dragon, it couldn't have been much else it was such an even fight, and what a great fight! So far we have two interesting teams into the projected ep 5 playoffs, their matchups will be interesting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
In so loving glad we paid a few extra bucks for ad-free.

The ad frequency and positioning feel drat near abusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

In so loving glad we paid a few extra bucks for ad-free.

The ad frequency and positioning feel drat near abusive.

i was afraid discovery+ wasn't going to have the vod up before the episode airs and i was gonna be forced to watch it live. but thankfully at like 8:01 PM EST it finally popped up. its funny starting an episode the same time as live viewers, and then finishing up the episode and going into the subreddit only to see that theyh ave like 45 more minutes of show to watch