Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AlternateNu posted:

Anti-Labor != Pro-Cop

have you ever read history. like ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
:yikes:

Liaisons! Season 7 starting off... Okay! I guess! It is a bit sad for the most part, Picard stuck down on planet Looks-Like-poo poo with some poor woman who's seemingly mentally declined after seven years alone. It's quite a gutting concept and I was worried it'd merely end up being a "bitches be crazy" approach to mental illness. It was working its way up there! It was truly getting there! She's acting sus! She's telling Picard she loves him! She's perched on the edge of a cliff, threatening to throw herself off! And then... Then the big reveal, which is completely stupid, but thankfully in an entirely different way. I laughed. Derisively, but it was a laugh. Also, Paul "Colonel Campbell" Eiding is running about in a big grey onesie, scoffing chocs and grinning like a child and it's bananas. It'd be great to edit "ERIC! Do you like... DESSERT?" into that sequence in Metal Gear Solid 2 where Campbell glitches and goes off his rocker.

The Interface. Okay, it's another story about *sigh* Geordi and a woman, but this woman happens to be his mum. Who is apparently missing, presumed dead. It's fine, relax, no second hand embarrassment here. There are a wonderful few scenes of him and Data and their friendship which resolve charmingly. I did like Geordi learning of the big deception at the heart of the story and still putting himself at further risk regardless to save... Er, fireball thing. There's also a really well delivered scene from Frakes of Riker recounting the death of his mother. It's all a little pedestrian though. And both ends of the interface look a bit dumb. Well, say bye to that bit of tech, never seeing it again, regardless of how useful it could be.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I love how in "Move Along Home" all it takes is Odo saying there's 4 officers missing for Quark to realize what's happening. Makes me think he's experienced something similar before.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Labor_rights

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Soul Dentist posted:

It loving absolutely does

Kesper North posted:

have you ever read history. like ever

I don't agree. I'm not saying the two aren't easy bedfellows, but there's a million ways to be anti-labor without bringing law enforcement into the picture.

Regardless, the example is a poor one because Adama threatened to airlock Cally because of the work slowdown on the Galactica. Not because of the strike on the tillium ship. He specifically says that and it's still framed as a jacked up move. And Tyral got his audience with Roslin for it.

But I'm just going to end it here. Go to the Sci-Fi Wi-Fi thread if you want to continue the BSG slapfight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

AHAB: All Humans Are Bastards.

Just the fuckers who let the Moopsy out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Can we do "Is Sisko a war criminal" next?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Can we do "Is Sisko a war criminal" next?

Just a regular criminal. He wasn't at war with either the Romulans or the Maquis.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

A couple days ago I watched the episode where Sisko goes villain mode when Eddington gives him a copy of Les Miserables. I was like, "Is this the start of his bad era?"

Around the same time, there was an episode of Voyager where Janeway dies and she watches her own funeral. Janeway is visibly crying but Kim remains pretty emotionless. It's a weird performance from Wang. It's supposed to be that he chokes up and can't continue his reminiscing on the time that he and Janeway ate berries but the performance makes it seem like he just runs out of word energy. That episode was good though. Before the weird demon guy disappears into his portal, Janeway gets a good "Go back to hell, coward." which should be her catchphrase.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Doesn’t the whole ‘emotionless Kim’ tie in to Berman’s direction that the Starfleet crew have to be professional and emotionless, while aliens like Neelix emote for everyone?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

It loving absolutely does

It's like pedophilia and Star Trek, there's correlation, but they're distinct concepts.

I'm rewatching BSG now, and it's very obvious that it takes a way different approach to good guys than Star Trek. In Trek, the good guys are actually good, and the show portrays them and their actions as good (mostly, but they always come around. With some exceptions in DS9). In BSG, it's dudes trying to be good, and maybe they manage on balance, but they're not justified or redeemed for their bad behaviours. It makes for better drama (Trek sucks at drama for this reason), but it also goes way over the top often.
Game of Thrones goes all in and doesn't even have good guys or heroes (except Ned Stark who does nothing and dies), just dudes trying to do stuff for reasons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was not expecting Lower Decks to make a Star Trek: The Experience reference.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

AHAB: All Humans Are Bastards.

goo lives matter

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

post-9/11 media casting the terrorists as an existential threat to civilization is so fuckin' cringe

I thought the point of some of those sequences in BSG was to contrast them with the real world via the setting. Like, Roslin makes the difficult decision to ban abortion not for ideological reasons but because there are literally less than 50,000 humans left in very tenuous conditions and the species is realistically facing potential extinction. It's an inherent interrogation of the decisions we make in the real world since we aren't under existential threat of annihilation, so what justification is good enough to make the same decision? Same thing with stuff like election interference and union breaking, it takes the literal apocalypse to make these things even sorta conscionable and even then it's still not an easy decision, and if anything more proof that civilization is collapsing than it's being saved.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

While I'm willing to cut things slack if they were either the starter of a trend or do something interesting with these ideas, they sound an awful lot like 'hard beings making hard decisions' which is a genre that kind of got its juice squeezed out in the first decade of this century.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
season four of enterprise was.... better. few slips like the hurried close to the temporal cold war poo poo at the start, the episode in a bottle transporter episode and the orion slave girls misogyny ahoy episode but otherwise generally watchable trek

the series of short story arcs were competent and better written/directed/acted on a whole, and actually took a little notice of the setting/era to involve stuff relevant to the theme of birth of the federation, aka the poo poo I wish they had been doing from the start

but it wasn't enough to save it and I don't feel it should have- definitely feels like the end of an era

the last episode did piss me off a bit but while it really didn't fit in with the others the episode itself was generally competently done and felt like a mediocre tng holodeck episode- it could probably be edited into the relevant tng episodes and be much less offensive

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Rewatched the final Eddington episode. I'll spoiler it.
I just can't empathise with the Maquis. I've said it earlier in the thread that if it was in real life on our planet the Maquis would be a really tragic set of figures. I guess they're painted a bit like the Serbs that are in Northern Kosovo and other groups like that, where you're now the "property of your enemies".
But in this reality you have a post scarcity civilization with infinite resources to move to, so gently caress you!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Taear posted:

I just can't empathise with the Maquis. I've said it earlier in the thread that if it was in real life on our planet the Maquis would be a really tragic set of figures. I guess they're painted a bit like the Serbs that are in Northern Kosovo and other groups like that, where you're now the "property of your enemies".
But in this reality you have a post scarcity civilization with infinite resources to move to, so gently caress you!

The only way it was ever going to work was if they gave an actual reason that these specific planets couldn't be given up by this specific group of people, and they absolutely refused to do that in a meaningful way. It didn't even have to be religious or based on heritage or historical persecutions. It could have been like certain key phenomenon that could only be studied on these worlds and they had already begun the experiment and if they walked away, a decade of research would be lost. Maybe they're looking for a cure for something and it could be any day now, if the Federation would just support them for a little while longer!

But nope. We got... what we got.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

Maybe they should have bombed themselves like the Pakleds.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

While I'm willing to cut things slack if they were either the starter of a trend or do something interesting with these ideas, they sound an awful lot like 'hard beings making hard decisions' which is a genre that kind of got its juice squeezed out in the first decade of this century.

Galactica was absolutely one of the shows squeezin that juice! The initial miniseries aired in December 2003, like just three quarters of a year after the US invaded Iraq. It's no less an example of War On Terror/Bush-era programming than 24 and I know that was well understood at the time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I dislike the Maquis and most of the Dominion War stuff in DS9. It's very neoliberal in a way that has aged much worse than the liberal utopianism of TNG. I have no trouble imagining that the writers didn't give them a good reason for wanting to stay because that's how they feel about Palestinians or the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh or whatever.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nearly done with DS9 season 3.

S3E20 Improbable Cause and E21 The Die Is Cast
Goddamn, what a set of episodes this is. You get two of the strongest character actors who play two of the most interesting characters and feature them in a story full of deception, conspiracy and action. All of Odo's and Garak's scenes together are compelling, but I remember being pretty upset as a kid by the torture scene where Odo is flaking.

I got Andrew Robinson's audio book about Garak, but I've been holding off on listening to it till I finish my current rewatch of DS9.

S3E22 Explorers
Sisko grows a goatee and builds an ancient Bajoran spaceboat. I found this episode a bit boring when I was younger, but as an adult it's quite endearing to see Sisko-Jake father & son stuff, it's very well done. I feel like the moment Sisko shows up with the goatee, his character starts becoming more relaxed and playful. I read that Brooks quite enjoyed doing the slightly earlier Mirror Universe episode where he gets to bone down w/ Dax, and this one is just before Kassidy starts showing up, plus Brooks had gotten to direct some episodes, so maybe he just started enjoying himself more?

S3E23 Family Business
Quark and Rom go home because their Moogie is behaving un-feeemale-like. So fun to see Ferengi society explored more in detail, with their rainy homeworld and their Hobbit homes, their latinum slots everywhere. I feel like Max Grodenchik shows here that he's slightly wasted always being the dumb comic relief, he has dramatic chops, and he holds his own in his explosive confrontations with Quark.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

thotsky posted:

I dislike the Maquis and most of the Dominion War stuff in DS9. It's very neoliberal in a way that has aged much worse than the liberal utopianism of TNG. I have no trouble imagining that the writers didn't give them a good reason for wanting to stay because that's how they feel about Palestinians or the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh or whatever.

The Dominion war is mostly good, but yeah, the actual Dominion and especially the Founders are kinda uninteresting because their motive is just, well, Dominion because of bad species childhood. It mostly works as a backdrop though, to have the Vorta and our heroes and alpha quadrant regulators do character stuff, which is the real meat of the show.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

S3E22 Explorers
Sisko grows a goatee and builds an ancient Bajoran spaceboat. I found this episode a bit boring when I was younger, but as an adult it's quite endearing to see Sisko-Jake father & son stuff, it's very well done. I feel like the moment Sisko shows up with the goatee, his character starts becoming more relaxed and playful. I read that Brooks quite enjoyed doing the slightly earlier Mirror Universe episode where he gets to bone down w/ Dax, and this one is just before Kassidy starts showing up, plus Brooks had gotten to direct some episodes, so maybe he just started enjoying himself more?

Yeah, I really liked the interactions between Jake and Sisko in the main plot of that episode.

And the B-plot has what has to be the lowest stakes of any Star Trek subplot ever, but you know what? I found it charming too!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I don't know if its the best low-stakes B-plot, but the one that always comes to mind for me is Nog "navigating the Great Material Continuum" for parts O'Brien needs. :allears:

I think that's also the episode with two Weyouns. :v:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I don't know if its the best low-stakes B-plot, but the one that always comes to mind for me is Nog "navigating the Great Material Continuum" for parts O'Brien needs. :allears:

It's also thematically very important for the most recent lower decks episode!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlternateNu posted:

With one of the standout episode names in a series with some great ones: "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River".

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Dominion war just always seemed so uneven, mostly due to the structure of the 26 episodes a season:

War!
A wedding!
Some bullshit with loving over O’brien again.
Feregeni gonna Feregen…
Morn dies?!
War!

I mean, I get it due to ongoing plot lines being like a extremely foreign concept to late 90s tv, but it still makes me laugh to look over the episodes of like seasons 5-7 of DS9 until the 10-part ending. Even those final episodes still have the “god damnit another Kai Winn scene ugh” unevenness.

Also I always laff that the most strategic choke point for the entire side of the Galaxy is the wormhole and yet the Federation is like “eh guys some lovely ex-Cardassian station and a single war ship without even a dedicated crew is good enough to protect it.”

You’d think the Bajorans would be desperate to invite in an entire fleet of Starfleet battleships to be permanently stationed there as they have a recent history of being occupied by the Cardassians so the Dominion probably isn’t going to be any better…

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

jeeves posted:

Also I always laff that the most strategic choke point for the entire side of the Galaxy is the wormhole and yet the Federation is like “eh guys some lovely ex-Cardassian station and a single war ship without even a dedicated crew is good enough to protect it.”

You’d think the Bajorans would be desperate to invite in an entire fleet of Starfleet battleships to be permanently stationed there as they have a recent history of being occupied by the Cardassians so the Dominion probably isn’t going to be any better…
I'm sure that was mainly a budget problem

They kind of handwave it by having the station getting those weapon upgrades at the beginning of Season 4

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

jeeves posted:

The Dominion war just always seemed so uneven, mostly due to the structure of the 26 episodes a season:

War!
A wedding!
Feregeni gonna Feregen…
Morn dies?!
War!

I mean, I get it due to ongoing plot lines being like a extremely foreign concept to late 90s tv, but it still makes me laugh to look over the episodes of like seasons 5-7 of DS9 until the 10-part ending. Even those final episodes still have the “god damnit another Kai Winn scene ugh” unevenness.

Yes, and why isn't there a permanent "gently caress off"-fleet in Sol system, where the Federation headquarters, Starfleet high command, the main campus of the Starfleet Academy, and the main fleet yards are located? And two out of three main enemies of the Starfleet use infiltrator ships that are pretty much invisible until the moment they start to stir up trouble, so catching them on the way isn't really that reliable either.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 7, 2023

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and why isn't there a permanent "gently caress off"-fleet in Sol system, where the Federation headquarters, Starfleet high command, the main campus of the Starfleet Academy, and the main fleet yards are located? And two out of three main enemies of the Starfleet use infiltrator ships that are pretty much invisible until the moment they start to stir up trouble, so catching them on the way isn't really that reliable either.

The Dominion does seem to go after the other member worlds first, like Betazed, so I figured they do have one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and why isn't there a permanent "gently caress off"-fleet in Sol system, where the Federation headquarters, Starfleet high command, the main campus of the Starfleet Academy, and the main fleet yards are located?

Generally speaking, a fleet in being is a huge expense for not much gain. That's not sidestepped by the material capability of the Federation, because they still have to staff it. That does seem to be a limit on the Federation, despite being population. After Pearl Harbor, they largely became targets themselves rather than a deterrent force.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

BonHair posted:

It's like pedophilia and Star Trek, there's correlation, but they're distinct concepts.

Yeah, as in there are other ways to be a Trekkie/anti-labor but every cop/pedophile is.

AlternateNu posted:

But I'm just going to end it here. Go to the Sci-Fi Wi-Fi thread if you want to continue the BSG slapfight.

No I'm done with it now

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

Once the war kicks off we pretty much always see other Starfleet ships at DS9 though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Der Kyhe posted:

I think it's mainly because Starfleet's primary mission is not a military one. At least not during the era from like the TOS films to Wolf 359, anyway.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Gambit parts I + II: The last of the two-parters of TNG and I do wonder if this could have benefited from being a single episode? It's not bad at all, but aside from the "undercover Picard/Riker" thing, it doesn't feel all that special. There's nothing about it that really merits the extra length, just a standard treasure hunt adventure with a stupid SUPER WEAPON at the end of the trail. Boy oh boy, did I roll my eyes at that reveal. They almost rolled out of my head and onto the floor when I saw the thing in action. The story has got merits though! Richard Lynch for one thing, growling about the place with a massive hair-bird fit to make Tim Buckley envious. Robin Curtis for another, playing another Vulcan. One disguised as a Romulan, which is a choice. Makes her look like Saavik having a goth phase. Could have cast her as anything, but hey, whatevs, fine, it's just nice to see her. Finally, also nice; Data in charge, laying down the law on Worf behaving like a pissy teen.

Not the greatest, but it's thankfully nowhere near as dull as Birthright.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"Is There in Truth No Beauty?"

So much what the gently caress in this episode.

The Enterprise has to transport a really ugly alien ambassador that the crew are not allowed to see. The caretaker is a psychic human woman trained in Vulcan mind discipline which allows her, like a Vulcan, to be in the same room as the ambassador with a visor on to prevent her from going mad.

The plan is to return to the ugly as gently caress alien homeworld where the woman will permanently form a psychic link with the ambassador to learn from his species.

This really upsets Kirk because he feels she's incredibly breedable. In fact, men are constantly throwing themselves at her because of how badly they want to marry and impregnate her, so the whole dedicating her life to an ugly rear end alien seems like a huge waste.

One of her suitors sees the ambassador, loses his mind, and drives the Enterprise out of the galaxy. He then dies from an overdose of ugly. I think this is the third time in the show the Enterprise has left the galaxy.

The woman is then revealed to be blind and deeply jealous of Spock's ability to look at the alien with a visor and to form a strong psychic link with him. The woman can't see the alien at all. Spock mind melds with the ambassador because using Spock's body, the ambassador can navigate the ship back to the galaxy.

The woman uses her psychic powers to trick Spock into forgetting to put the visor on so he sees the alien when separating their minds. He goes crazy, but Kirk confronts her and makes her use her psychic powers to restore Spock.

The woman and the ambassador leave. End of episode.

Another classic "women can have careers unless they're hot" episodes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Medusans make a reappearance! One of the main characters on Prodigy is a Medusan in an encounter suit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jeeves posted:

War!
A wedding!
Feregeni gonna Feregen…
Morn dies?!
War!

Honestly, that's pretty realistic. Life still happens even with a war going on. There are always going to be times with less action. When advances are stalled or lines fall back to defensive posture for regrouping/refitting.

As for fortifying DS9's sector, IIRC, they did that fairly quickly after the initial Dominion fleet arrived to include mining the entrance to the wormhole. Hell, the reason the war was so even was because mining the entrance kept the Dominion fleet at a manageable size. If they didn't have the Cardassian Empire's territory to build new shipyards and cloning/ketracel-white facilities, they wouldn't have been nearly as big of a threat.

Soul Dentist posted:

No I'm done with it now

:rolleye:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thotsky posted:

The Native American planet from TNG would have had a drat good reason but I'm not even sure if it was in the same area as the Maquis.

The fact that the Maquis were recent settlers (if with less moral animus on the term as these planets did not have intelligent inhabitants) is what fucks up the parallel. They come off a lot more like South Africans or Rhodesians, albeit without the reprehensible racist oppression.

I think in general that it improves the work, that the Maquis are difficult to map 1:1 onto real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gazing upon the Medusans without the special red visor causes permanent, untreatable insanity....unless you're Spock and wearing plot armor that requires you to just shake it off.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Is There In Truth (despite an early appearance, one of two, of Diane Muldaur, which is cool). Just seems like a pointless episode and "women can have careers unless they're hot" seems to sum it up pretty well.