Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Female V and Male V are pretty on par with each other imo, with both of them being perfectly fine but also being some of the more forgettable VA in the game. Not so much because either isn't good, but they are both just a bit bland due to being a player stand in and also having way more dialog than anyone else in the game. Just about every side character is more memorable except maybe Grimes who is just horrible at doing voice overs lol. Tbh I think V's male VA is slightly better and I don't get why people are so evangelical about female V at all. Actually I think I do but it's probably :can: lol.

I agree about male V actually being pretty good.

I still really like female V, but I've noticed that a lot of her line delivery sounds kinda same-y. It's a good same-y, but it's like the same high-quality style of speaking is being used too often. Hard to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

A cool detail I didn't notice til just now:

When Delamain writes a text message, it arrives instantly, whereas the human characters take time to type their texts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine saying V is a worse voice actor than Keanu

Not worse. Nothing about either of V's VAs is really related to the performance as much as it's that V has to respond to literally everything, often in multiple ways depending on what the player wants to do. It just ends up sounding clunkier than characters that get to have their own motivations.

Honestly I think keanu is so much better in Phantom Liberty than the main game though. Like, in the base game I don't think he's one of the better voice actors, but he has a charm to him that is fun. In PL I think he's legit good. like he really settled into the role.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Subjunctive posted:

where do you get throwing axes?

You can find an iconic tomahawk in PL not long after you are done the intro, and it’s loving hilarious

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly I think keanu is so much better in Phantom Liberty than the main game though. Like, in the base game I don't think he's one of the better voice actors, but he has a charm to him that is fun. In PL I think he's legit good. like he really settled into the role.

Yeah same, he's so much more comfortable in the role in PL.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Grimes is probably the worst VA in the game lol. I remember I went and looked up who voiced that character because I knew it had to be a cameo of some kind to make it into the game

Most of those cameos are pretty bad. A few get away with it because they're dumb/silly comedy parts that don't overstay their welcome. Overall it's one of the things I find pretty disappointing in the game. I get that from CDPR's perspective it's money that doubles as both voice pay and marketing spend, but the result is just not good in the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thundarr posted:

Hm starting a new game as a stealthy character on high difficulty may have been a mistake, especially since I'm unused to the new skill tree layout. Throwing knife spec doesn't do much for you in the early game when the best you can hope for is half a health bar with a headshot.

I didn't restart, but I did respec twice and I think early on it's better to start with the more important base skills vs trying to e highly specialized.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the worst VA is the streamer they got to be the centerpiece for the alien conspiracy questline.
you encounter him almost immediately upon starting the game and have to wonder why he sounds so much worse than the other VAs

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

shrike82 posted:

the worst VA is the streamer they got to be the centerpiece for the alien conspiracy questline.
you encounter him almost immediately upon starting the game and have to wonder why he sounds so much worse than the other VAs

Yeah, I don't know who's idea it was to have CohhCarnage stand on the street shouting David Icke-esque antisemitic dogwhistles next to a location used in several major story beats but it was not a good decision.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I can totally get people not enjoying driving in Cpunk, it's really bad. The Cyber Vehicle Overhaul mod actually does a LOT to improve things - I've got it to where it almost feels as good as GTA 5 which, imo, is the gold-standard for open world driving. I wish there were more street races or that they'd made a dynamic street racing side-quest (or is there one and I'm just missing it?). I hope they improve it for the sequel - a genre that exists as a critique of the 1980s pretty much requires as many cars as the game engine can push. Maybe add some flying vehicles?

I've been trying to nail down car combat a bit better using front guns and, yeah, those complaints are totally valid - they're almost useless because you don't really want to scrub enough speed to let someone by anyway and they're a better target when they're beside you than in front. The missiles are almost as bad, I still can't consistently hit anything on purpose with them. Pit maneuvers and poo poo-scraping using another car or obstacle is still more effective than any amount of shooting. Hacking vehicles a la Watch Dogs is fuckin dope and I never understood why it wasn't in the game to start with. I just did one side mission by taking over a gang car and ramming everyone with it while I chilled across the street.

But god drat did the Claire quest chain gut me :( I really liked her and her missions up until the point she tells you she's been using you to get to Sampson. She almost makes a good replacement for Jackie and then... oof. It really sets the tone for just how emotionally broken everyone in Night City really is. I just wanted to keep racing, we coulda been the best!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TremorX posted:

I've been trying to nail down car combat a bit better using front guns and, yeah, those complaints are totally valid - they're almost useless because you don't really want to scrub enough speed to let someone by anyway and they're a better target when they're beside you than in front. The missiles are almost as bad, I still can't consistently hit anything on purpose with them. Pit maneuvers and poo poo-scraping using another car or obstacle is still more effective than any amount of shooting.

idk how they'd get it work, but the guns should auto lock on to targets.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I did Somewhat Damaged my second time through PL and thought it was really good. I generally don't love forced stealth but it was fine and all the stuff about So Mi's past was great. The choice between killing her and condemning her to a fate possibly worse than death was a real gut punch. It made me appreciate the other ending more too, like gently caress Reed, she deserves that chance at a cure and a life free of the FIA.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Dogtown makes me really want a glider.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I 100%ed the game before any of the major patches and it was well worth starting over and playing again. Practically everything has changed for the better, it's amazing.

At first I was annoyed by the quickhack tracing system, but it got me to use covert and device quickhacks and takedowns, so it was a good change. Then it turns out once you reach tier 3 you get stealth kills with sonic shock anyway.

Thundarr posted:

Hm starting a new game as a stealthy character on high difficulty may have been a mistake, especially since I'm unused to the new skill tree layout. Throwing knife spec doesn't do much for you in the early game when the best you can hope for is half a health bar with a headshot.
Huh, I did the same thing and had no trouble instantly killing enemies with knife headshots. I'm on hard, not very hard though.

A bit later I started running into enemies with two health bars that need an axe.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Subjunctive posted:

where do you get throwing axes?

I’ve only seen the one and it’s a unique. P sure I got it in PL.

Interesting stuff. A little range-y at times, and I think it mistakes withholding info for tension to some extent. We get introduced to PL and its staff, but the crucial context of why the “we don’t want to screw this up” anxiety hanging over it all is not simply a case of the butterflies for CDPR is only vaguely alluded to until about the halfway point. Which maybe wouldn’t be that much of a problem for the doc if the devs interviewed weren’t so clearly traumatized. So the doc feels like it’s scratching at the surface for the first 30 mins or so.

Some insane apartments out in Poland tho. I want to eat in the hosed up cat restaurant.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sindai posted:

I 100%ed the game before any of the major patches and it was well worth starting over and playing again. Practically everything has changed for the better, it's amazing.

At first I was annoyed by the quickhack tracing system, but it got me to use covert and device quickhacks and takedowns, so it was a good change. Then it turns out once you reach tier 3 you get stealth kills with sonic shock anyway.

Huh, I did the same thing and had no trouble instantly killing enemies with knife headshots. I'm on hard, not very hard though.

A bit later I started running into enemies with two health bars that need an axe.

I'm on Hard also, so not sure what I'm doing wrong if I can't find even a mook that will go down to that. I'm just using a basic non-upgraded knife though, I really need to find something better that I can actually throw. Pretty early on so I just need to put some effort into looking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rinkles posted:

there's an authenticity to his stilted performance

Keanu's solid. He's playing a very specific type of person who spent a long time with way too many illicit substances.

Ytlaya posted:

I still really like female V, but I've noticed that a lot of her line delivery sounds kinda same-y. It's a good same-y, but it's like the same high-quality style of speaking is being used too often. Hard to explain.

Yeah, I get that. Probably comes from Cherami Leigh being a voice actor, Wikipedia tells me, since 2007 which means by necessity she's probably smoothed her voice out.

Apparently she thought she was recording placeholder dialogue for somebody more fancy to come along for at least some of what she did and was surprised they kept her.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dawgstar posted:

Keanu's solid. He's playing a very specific type of person who spent a long time with way too many illicit substances.

More like... a sommelier.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

More like... a sommelier.

why'd I read this in Johnny Silverhand's voice

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Keanu in Cyberpunk is like Keanu in most things, his performance is strange and idiosyncratic, and certainly flawed if you apply conventional methods for evaluating a performance. Whether he works or not really depends on if the role supports his weirdness, which I think it firmly does in this case.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I get that. Probably comes from Cherami Leigh being a voice actor, Wikipedia tells me, since 2007 which means by necessity she's probably smoothed her voice out.

Apparently she thought she was recording placeholder dialogue for somebody more fancy to come along for at least some of what she did and was surprised they kept her.

That is really interesting to hear. Until I looked it up I thought it was Jennifer Hale doing the voice because of how generically generic the performance is.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 8, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

smoobles posted:

why'd I read this in Johnny Silverhand's voice

Because, good or bad, Keanu's performance is indelible.

Jamsque posted:

Keanu in Cyberpunk is like Keanu in most things, his performance is strange and idiosyncratic, and certainly flawed if you apply conventional methods for evaluating a performance. Whether he works or not really depends on if the role supports his weirdness, which I think it firmly does in this case.

I think this is the crux of it. Keanu isn't the best actor's actor, but he still creates some memorable performances.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jennifer Hale has a very specific style of protagonist voice.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
NGL I would love to learn more about the PL characters backstory, and see them in more adventures. I would be totally into fan fic or a DLC that's just about Songbird or some of her former ops the NUSA. Actually doesn't have to be a prequel, maybe her story continues after CP2077 is over in some other context. She exudes those Kerrigan vibes that can be taken in many directions plot-wise.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Giving this another go after my initial launch playthrough and this game is great now and I haven't even gotten to the specific phantom liberty DLC yet, as I rolled a new character after 2.0 dropped because it had been years since I last played and I wanted to get used to the new systems.

And it finally broke me out of my stealth sniper habit. Activating my sandy, drawing my hanzo steel and running into a group of gonks who are all dead from my frenzied slashing before the sandy runs out is :kiss:. Only problem is I do so much damage with normal attacks, I only get to use the finishers if I bother to not use my sandy and put them in a finisher state with deflected bullets.

The only real complaint I have is something still left over from 1.0 and that is that V rolls their jacket sleeves up like a 1980s coke-head psychopath and as a result looks like an absolute dork 100% of the time. I know it's so the clothes don't interfere with the arm cyberware, but it looks so dumb.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TremorX posted:

I can totally get people not enjoying driving in Cpunk, it's really bad. The Cyber Vehicle Overhaul mod actually does a LOT to improve things - I've got it to where it almost feels as good as GTA 5 which, imo, is the gold-standard for open world driving.

I think this really comes down to whether someone prefers more arcade-y driving. My issue with driving in GTA5 is that all the cars feel sort of weightless/hollow. I find it easier to "drive normally" in Cyberpunk (at least with the updates; I never played the game prior to - I think - 1.5). You can drive in crazy ways in GTA5, which is cool in its own way, but it comes at a cost.

edit: Is it maybe a mouse/keyboard thing? I could also see that making a difference, because I can't even imagine trying to drive in Cyberpunk without being able to adjust how strongly I'm pressing the shoulder buttons.

Jamsque posted:

I personally think he works really well for the character in question. I was listening to other dub voices, and they all just sound kind of wrong for his character.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 8, 2023

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

Ytlaya posted:

I personally think he works really well for the character in question. I was listening to other dub voices, and they all just sound kind of wrong for his character.

This. I think his familiarity with the character and the quality of the writing were noticeably superior in PL, so my enjoyment of the guy was through the roof compared to my very first play through last year.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

garycoleisgod posted:

Giving this another go after my initial launch playthrough and this game is great now and I haven't even gotten to the specific phantom liberty DLC yet, as I rolled a new character after 2.0 dropped because it had been years since I last played and I wanted to get used to the new systems.

And it finally broke me out of my stealth sniper habit. Activating my sandy, drawing my hanzo steel and running into a group of gonks who are all dead from my frenzied slashing before the sandy runs out is :kiss:. Only problem is I do so much damage with normal attacks, I only get to use the finishers if I bother to not use my sandy and put them in a finisher state with deflected bullets.

The only real complaint I have is something still left over from 1.0 and that is that V rolls their jacket sleeves up like a 1980s coke-head psychopath and as a result looks like an absolute dork 100% of the time. I know it's so the clothes don't interfere with the arm cyberware, but it looks so dumb.

that's my loving look bro

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Keanu is not stilted or wooden and pointing out femV's voice being good (or better lmao) is the most tepid take of this game next an NPR review saying "the punkest move is not to play".
Here's a hot one: I love Idris Elba but it sounds like he's reading every line out loud for the first time as he encounters it. The pause and stumble over "Malorian" when you meet him in the car is pretty bad. That is, as a VA. As an actor he has charisma. Maybe they should've let him use his natural accent.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arc Hammer posted:

Jennifer Hale has a very specific style of protagonist voice.
She was great in Bulletstorm. So was Steve Blum, for that matter. They both get some poo poo now and then for being ubiquitous and somewhat predictable in their performance/acting style, but they clearly had a lot of fun with that game and it really showed.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Skippy McPants posted:

Because, good or bad, Keanu's performance is indelible.

I think this is the crux of it. Keanu isn't the best actor's actor, but he still creates some memorable performances.
I think of a dumb line from the timestamp in this video whenever Keanu Reeves is brought up. "You know what else is wooden and natural at the same time?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1G_qhFHw4Q&t=1719s

lol at it being in German so thanks to google translate the video quality is set to "automobile"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

The only other language dub voice I like is the female Japanese one and that's specifically for Corpo V because she sounds even more exhausted by her job in Arasaka Counterintel than English V does.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Keanu is not stilted or wooden and pointing out femV's voice being good (or better lmao) is the most tepid take of this game next an NPR review saying "the punkest move is not to play".
Here's a hot one: I love Idris Elba but it sounds like he's reading every line out loud for the first time as he encounters it. The pause and stumble over "Malorian" when you meet him in the car is pretty bad. That is, as a VA. As an actor he has charisma. Maybe they should've let him use his natural accent.

Keanu is not wooden but he absolutely is stilted. I like him in the role but come on, you have to accept that sometimes he just stops for a moment in the middle of a sentence in a place that no human being speaking words autonomously would ever stop.

I agree with your Idris Elba hot take.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

UP AND ADAM posted:

that's my loving look bro

To be fair my look is bandanna, face mask, cut-off denim jacket with no shirt underneath, shiny gold pants and knee-high boots with blue highlights. So maybe I shouldn't give fashion advice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The best streamer cameo is Suzi the Sphere Hunter.

lol at V going "folding the seat back might not cut it"

Unfortunate that the Sasha Grey cameo doesn't get much play because when are you listening to the radio lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unfortunate that the Sasha Grey cameo doesn't get much play because when are you listening to the radio lol

I like driving when I'm using a gamepad but sadly there's something weird with the DJs because I've heard Mike on Morro Rock maybe twice and Sasha on Growl maybe once.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

It seems since 2.01 all character progression perks are broken, including no weapon sway while crouched and reloading while air dashing etc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jamsque posted:

Keanu is not wooden but he absolutely is stilted. I like him in the role but come on, you have to accept that sometimes he just stops for a moment in the middle of a sentence in a place that no human being speaking words autonomously would ever stop.

I agree with your Idris Elba hot take.

He also clunks some lines. Memorably, going into one of the endings you ask him "what's the plan?" and he says "Plan? Might be how Rogue operates..."

To you and me, that clearly means that he isn't the plan-making type and doesn't think too highly of those who are- underscored by his next line "let's just grab some iron and shoot the place up". But Keanu Reeves managed to interpret it instead as "let's do the kind of plan that Rogue would do" and so he reads his line as if that's what was being said. It's not a huge deal, the audio equivalent of Johnny t-posing in the middle of the Arasaka building lobby in the next scene
, but it stood out as egregious because it's a line that clearly expresses Johnny's character and has little room for misinterpretation. But Keanu found a way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
an unfortunate bug at the end of I Fought the Law, when i got off the elevator for the Peralez's apartment the computer in the hidden office behind the glass was briefly highlighted in my view, i think from the Eye in the Sky int perk. I already know what's back there, but way to spoil the surprise!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oh speaking of which

https://twitter.com/edgerunners/status/1710271186066714790

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I didn't even know about that video until I saw that tweet. Apparently Sasha was Maine's netrunner before Kiwi? That's nice.