Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dimebags Brain posted:

Personally, I'm glad people are being vigilant, lest the creeping vestments of popery enter the wrestling world.

there will be no threat of wrestle popes after miro kills and dethrones god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

there will be no threat of wrestle popes after miro kills and dethrones god

AEW is going to run out of popes

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I think he's wrestling as Elijah Burke these days.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Sex Farm posted:

AEW is going to run out of popes

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/sabbathfan777/status/1710562640903254512?t=Rv2bhtUkmefjcIsenL17iQ&s=19

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

casual fans are always saying they want to see less cool moves

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Sometimes I like Trevor but other times I question his reading comprehension. He says Dave compares AEW to TNA and then when he posts evidince it's clearly a wwe source saying they believe aew will be come like tna in the sense that it becomes a feeder company

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1710366059101138977

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1710440835706503326

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/Kipodovich/status/1710684795716452514?s=20

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Very explicitly four people who were offered WWE contracts and turned them down and additionally in one case an older guy who just main evented against one of the younger guys who he's holding down.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Personally, I'm glad people are being vigilant, lest the creeping vestments of popery enter the wrestling world.

Too late.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Moxley was 33 when he signed with AEW.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Lamuella posted:

That's ancient compared to young kids like the 30 year old Brian Pillman Jr.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Sega 32X posted:

That's ancient compared to young kids like the 30 year old Brian Pillman Jr.

Lamuella posted:

lol holy poo poo

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Yeah Darby, who main evented the last PPV, is clearly being buried by the company.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yeah, im not the biggest darby fan in the world but i cant think of many wrestlers less well-suited for what the wwe style is than him. he is like the anti-jade in that regard.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Darby is also one of the few that have explicitly stated that they are never ever leaving AEW lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jade said there’s nobody she’d rather work for than Tony about a week before she left, wrestlers lie professionally

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

some are convinced that aew's 1 year option on jade's contract was not picked up.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Jade said there’s nobody she’d rather work for than Tony about a week before she left, wrestlers lie professionally

Jade is also the one that everyone on Earth was saying "Looks like a WWE Superstar" the moment they saw her and was already a multi-millionaire influencer while Darby was literally homeless before AEW came along.

If WWE did try to sign him it'd be 100% just to get him out of AEW cause they've never given a poo poo about anyone that looks or wrestles like him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh yeah for sure the point is more that a wrestler saying “I will never do ‘X’” is absolutely worthless as a tell as to whether or not they will in fact do ‘X’ eventually.

Cavauro posted:

some are convinced that aew's 1 year option on jade's contract was not picked up.

At the scrum Tony revealed he made her an offer, she countered it and then he made her an even better offer than her counter which she still opted to decline. Seems like if there was an option on AEWs end of things he would have just picked it up given those circumstances.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wrestlers lie all the time, but Darby has made it very clear that 1) he won't be wrestling long because of his style and his hobbies, and 2) he wants to do all kinds of dumb risky nonsense, and the WWE ain't gonna let him tone that down, in or out of the ring.

More than anyone else, I feel like Darby's the one person you can believe when he says he'll never go to the 'E.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ah. it appears the option was a lie. i hadn't known. i respected it however. and i'll still do business with those people as i don't believe they meant any harm.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The only point actually in favor of Darby leaving is Jeff Hardy's shown they don't really care (until a certain extent of off-screen bullshit is reached) about dumb risky nonsense spots designed to pop fans

I believe he'll stay. It's got nothing to do with "lying" (bullshit) or "money" (bullshit that certain people have tried nonstop to get over through dumb memes I never have or will acknowledge); it's got everything to do with "he was literally homeless and unknown before, and now he's got money, fans, a spotlight, and he's getting to do his dumbass Everest dream"

And also that he'll probably die soon, because of his style and hobbies and dumbass Everest dream. So yeah, combo of loyalty and stupidity

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

This reminds me of something I thought I heard...that Darby had to be told he needed to train to climb Everest. Given his somewhat reckless character, I tend to believe that he would think this and would also die of some dumbass poo poo.

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 7, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

Seriously what the gently caress

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

Seriously what the gently caress

He's 37 right now so agreed, what the gently caress

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

time continues its relentless march forward

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This match is amazing

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/Cigano300/status/1710807052526731401

is there a whole list of TK's nicknames or what

e: nothing makes a new signee look more like a superstar than Booker T going 'shucky ducky quack quack'

Venomous fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 8, 2023

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Nothing says "superstar" like debuting on the most C-Level PLE that's ever existed.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pylons posted:

Nothing says "superstar" like debuting on the most C-Level PLE that's ever existed.

On the preshow of the most c-level PLE that their top guy didn't even want to appear on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah for sure the point is more that a wrestler saying “I will never do ‘X’” is absolutely worthless as a tell as to whether or not they will in fact do ‘X’ eventually.

At the scrum Tony revealed he made her an offer, she countered it and then he made her an even better offer than her counter which she still opted to decline. Seems like if there was an option on AEWs end of things he would have just picked it up given those circumstances.

Wait he says she offered a counter and then he just offered more anyway instead of agreeing to it? That sounds like a very wrestler carnie story. Or bad negotiating.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Testekill posted:

On the preshow of the most c-level PLE that their top guy didn't even want to appear on.

but they have the world heavyweight champion defending his belt tonight! *someone whispers into my ear* what do you MEAN that's the belt for loser fuckface nerds who couldn't pin Roman

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Wait he says she offered a counter and then he just offered more anyway instead of agreeing to it? That sounds like a very wrestler carnie story. Or bad negotiating.

Someone transcribed it

quote:

“I knew Jade’s contract had been ticking down and we were talking about a new contract, and I was very interested in Jade coming back and we were having a negotiation... I made a very big offer, and I thought it was a very fair offer. I think she was considering it, and then she asked for a bigger offer and then I went up again, and I kind of thought that was going to do it. And then, it didn’t, which to be honest, I was surprised because I came up to a number that was higher than her original ask.

“So I don’t know what I would have had to do at that point. So I was a little surprised. But I did... really hope that Jade would be back. I think I tried to handle it — when we were down to the nitty gritty and we were down to the final couple of weeks, and we still hadn’t agreed to something, then it was at the point where I said, ‘Well, if you aren’t going to stay, I want to give you the best possible exit.’

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Someone transcribed it

That certainly sounds a bit more plausible as like he could have offered a deal with more years or dates or something but a bigger overall number. Something he thought was a fair compromise but that was different from what Jade’s ask was with the money not making up the difference. Thanks for the clarification.

It’s also kind of vague as to whether “original ask” is the same as her “counter”. That’s not information he has to or should share. But it certainly sounds like a much more natural negotiation and spin than how I first interpreted it.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 8, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The rumor is WWE gave her an out in her contract.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
imagine the discourse if TK debut'd a wrestler on a PPV preshow by having them come up and shake his hand

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

imagine the discourse if TK debut'd a wrestler on a PPV preshow by having them come up and shake his hand

"THE FIX IS IN WITH TONY THE KHAN MAN! YOU NEVER SAW VINCE INTERACT WITH NEW HIRES TRYING TO GIVE THEM THE RUB!" etc etc.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

The only point actually in favor of Darby leaving is Jeff Hardy's shown they don't really care (until a certain extent of off-screen bullshit is reached) about dumb risky nonsense spots designed to pop fans

I believe he'll stay. It's got nothing to do with "lying" (bullshit) or "money" (bullshit that certain people have tried nonstop to get over through dumb memes I never have or will acknowledge); it's got everything to do with "he was literally homeless and unknown before, and now he's got money, fans, a spotlight, and he's getting to do his dumbass Everest dream"

And also that he'll probably die soon, because of his style and hobbies and dumbass Everest dream. So yeah, combo of loyalty and stupidity

I believe he will not "probably" die soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Loads of people climb Everest these days. 690 people successfully climbed it last year. Darby will probably be ok. Until he coffin drops off the summit.