Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Goblin Slayer S2 ep1
No sacrificial rookies this time to start the season. Looks like its just gonna embrace a standard DnD goblin-centric campaign formula from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Agronox posted:

Oh, the halfling bard is in there. Thought she was a really interesting character in the manga. Hmm, wonder if it's worth actually watching S1 to catch up. It looked pretty bad.

The animation in S1 was pretty cheap and the halfling bard in particular suffered for it. There's a lot of scenes of her singing and playing her violin which were particularly low effort, most of the time they don't even animate her arms so she's just standing there holding the violin still while the music plays. They also didn't put much effort into her songs, half the time she's just talking over generic violin music,

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Episode 1 was fine but not great, with the big battle mostly happening off screen so there wasn't much action at all. They haven't really introduced most of the cast and I guess a lot is going to depend on her relationship with her lieutenants and how that evolves during their adventures. The whole "no one ever dies permanently" aspect is a bit weird and pretty much destroys all the stakes entirely, if her troops decide to kill her that'll be annoying and painful but only temporarily. The part where she immediately impressed her troops by accidentally killing a guy in a fairly brutal manner but then pretending she did it on purpose was funny, if they keep thinking up novel ways to do that the show might have legs.

First ep is a lot of world building which is fine. The "no one ever dies" thing is novel and I wouldn't say it destroys all of the stakes as the main character cares enough about her reputation and keeping up this new lifestyle to not want to die and therefore lose that. The ending basically shows part of why the heroine became a hikkomori, but I also think it's worth at least the 3ep test based on the manga.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari: Dantoudai kara Hajimaru, Hime no Tensei Gyakuten Story/Tearmoon Empire episode 1: the basic premise is that a Marie Antoinette equivalent is imprisoned for three years before being executed via guillotine during the Reign of Terror and wakes up to find she's traveled back in time eight years to a period before the Empire fell apart and descended into revolution. Even though she knows nothing about politics or economics and is now in the body of a 12 year old she decides to use her awareness of future events to change the course of the country and avoid meeting guillotine-chan, but also to better appreciate the people around her who she treated so badly in her previous life.

Episode 1 was good, it was mostly her coming to terms with her situation and convincing herself that her imprisonment and death weren't just a bad dream and determining that she needs to make a huge effort to avoid her previous fate.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

desu wa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_HHqi_dpwo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

disney seems to be paying no attention to what they license. they had the recent black rock shooter anime and that was 90% women describing the graphic murders they wanted to do on each other.

Yeah I've read like 30 chapters of the UU manga and it is... very horny, especially at first. Also, as I've mentioned earlier, they licensed Summer Time Rendering, which isn't quite as horny as UU but makes up for it with much more disturbing violence.

Point is, Disney seems to be using the stuff they put on Hulu to diversify their portfolio without compromising their brand.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Okay I like the tension of Otoha Precure where it's got the kids show feel running head long into more adult show complications.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arist posted:

Point is, Disney seems to be using the stuff they put on Hulu to diversify their portfolio without compromising their brand.

They do compromise their brand in the rest of the world, it's just for the US where they keep it siloed on Hulu.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Disney has been putting their name on more of the Teen and Adult stuff for awhile and clearly don't see the need to keep the 2 separate as much anymore so it's not shocking though them getting into anime will never not feel weird

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Undead Unluck: This is a solid premise for an action show and Andy doing poo poo like flying around with blood shooting out of his half-regenerated limbs is very fun and looks cool. I wish the humor revolved less around Fuuko running from Andy as he proposes something lewd to test abilities or whatever and hearing it stays horny like that for 30 chapters makes me less inclined to check out more. IDK.

My New Boss Is Goofy: It's a workplace comedy and it's gay. The animation is rudimentary but I liked the thick lineart and style they went for, and although the writing and comedy were pretty straightforward the entire thing is upbeat in a way I thought was fun. It seems cute if you're into the concept.

Protocol: Rain: The entire setup for this with the esports cafe shutting down and getting the team together to save it feels like an 80s movie and the fake FPS they're playing looks pretty bad. The first episode didn't really have enough character development to suss the rest of it out, but what was here ranged from inoffensive to pretty good and I could see this potentially going places later and being cool.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 8, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Southern Cassowary posted:

Undead Unluck: This is a solid premise for an action show and Andy doing poo poo like flying around with blood shooting out of his half-regenerated limbs is very fun and looks cool. I wish the humor revolved less around Fuuko running from Andy as he proposes something lewd to test abilities or whatever and hearing it stays horny like that for 30 chapters makes me less inclined to check out more. IDK.

As the guy who "said" that it stays like that, it mostly doesn't, to my recollection. It very quickly shifts focus to something much better and weirder.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arist posted:

As the guy who "said" that it stays like that, it mostly doesn't, to my recollection. It very quickly shifts focus to something much better and weirder.

oh that's good then

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari: Dantoudai kara Hajimaru, Hime no Tensei Gyakuten Story/Tearmoon Empire episode 1: the basic premise is that a Marie Antoinette equivalent is imprisoned for three years before being executed via guillotine during the Reign of Terror and wakes up to find she's traveled back in time eight years to a period before the Empire fell apart and descended into revolution. Even though she knows nothing about politics or economics and is now in the body of a 12 year old she decides to use her awareness of future events to change the course of the country and avoid meeting guillotine-chan, but also to better appreciate the people around her who she treated so badly in her previous life.

Episode 1 was good, it was mostly her coming to terms with her situation and convincing herself that her imprisonment and death weren't just a bad dream and determining that she needs to make a huge effort to avoid her previous fate.

Was there any sass from the narrator? That was what got me into the light novel version, as can be seen here, and while the manga version dialed it back I would be sad if it were gone entirely.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Undead Unluck hits its first big hook in the second volume, so it's definitely more of a 3ep test show. Great premiere though, I really loved the censor bar gags and it's nice to have Yuki Yase back after his absence on Fire Force S2.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

Was there any sass from the narrator? That was what got me into the light novel version, as can be seen here, and while the manga version dialed it back I would be sad if it were gone entirely.

They did away with the narrator entirely as far as I can tell, I can't remember any narration at all

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari: Dantoudai kara Hajimaru, Hime no Tensei Gyakuten Story/Tearmoon Empire

The OP and the ED have some great still images. The image of her sitting on a guillotine looks so weirdly cool. In the ED there's a sweet scene of her cheerful child self and her melancholic adult self interacting with each other.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

The narrator started in at the end of the first episode, when things had gotten out from under the shadow of Guillotine-chan.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
dang, lots of saturday animes to go thru tonight

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Butareba: The Story of a Man Turned into a Pig episode 1: a pretty slow start. A sleazy Otaku virgin gets isekai'd into the body of a pig in a fantasy world and the very first person he happens to meet happens to be a cute young blonde telepathic girl who can hear all his thoughts and doesn't mind his sleaziness at all because she's a self-effacing, unassertive servant girl. The protag would like to be turned back into a human but he also enjoys being treated like a pig by a bishoujo so he's not that upset by his predicament. It turns out that the only wizards in this age who might be able to cast transformation magic are descendants of royalty so they need to go meet the king.

Ep 1 pretty much just establishes the setting and gives a vague explanation of the limited magic tech available in this world, they don't really get any further than that. Hopefully they dial back on the sleazy pig thoughts in future episodes because it was getting a bit monotonous, it's a bit similar to Mushoku Tensei in that regard except it piles it on a lot more often and the girl he's sleazing at doesn't mind it at all.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

More often?! Christ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

why do you people do this to yourselves

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

pork never goes bad posted:

More often?! Christ

think we found a situation where pork has in fact gone bad

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
didn't know A Returner's Magic Should Be Special.

how common is this, a korean webtoon getting a japanese anime treatment. I guess the previous thing I can think of is Tower of God.
and oh no..its Arvo Animation, isn't that the same studio that had the machine translation subs for that other show...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arist posted:

why do you people do this to yourselves

they secretly loving love it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish they were keeping it secret

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I only watch programs I think will have some merit. I certainly only post about the good poo poo. And you can do the same.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

3 ANN reviewers reviewed the pig anime and their combined score was 0.5 stars out of 15

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The 7th Guest posted:

3 ANN reviewers reviewed the pig anime and their combined score was 0.5 stars out of 15

lmao @ the guy who gave it the .5

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

Convenient of you to omit the fourth reviewer who gave it three and a half stars.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
good first episode of Spy x Family S2 of getting back in form.
good Yor and Anna faces. good protect the butt

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

Convenient of you to omit the fourth reviewer who gave it three and a half stars.

whAT

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The pig thing was included in that Aniplex promotional stream a few weeks ago, at which point I learned in addition to the annoying pig pervert bit, the female lead is part of a telepathic female slave race in that universe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The four scores were:

3.5/5
0/5
0.5/5
No.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

that must have just been added lmao

i also saw a review of under ninja on anime feminist that said it was not only bad but pushing a nationalist agenda

i love anime reviews

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

Two minutes, thirty-four seconds. That's how long into this episode we get before our hero, who has become a pig, figures out that he has become a pig. Nearly 10% of this premiere – more if you don't count the credits – is dedicated to our main character lying on the ground and thinking aloud about how "Gee, it sure is weird that he's in a pigpen. And he smells like a pig. And he can't seem to move his body like before. And huh, why is this blond girl so much taller than him? Weird. Better monologue for a while longer to figure things out." It's interminable and the perfect opening act for one of the most unbearably miserable premieres you'll watch all year.

quote:

Most of the time, he's thinking about how much he wants to bang this blond chick – who can magically read his mind. Don't worry, though; she's totally cool with all the gross stuff he's saying because she's also part of a magically subservient race of mind-reading maids who will follow any request without objection. Either that, or her favorite movie is Vase de Noces, and she's just down bad for a roll in the mud with a literal pig – when she's not providing mountains of exposition about this generic fantasy world and its color-coded magical system.

Vase de Noces is a HELL of a pull for an isekai review

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the other reviewer said the pig anime was a gulag for the human spirit

i dont like talking about bad isekais on the forums much but it is fun when a reviewer haaaaates something they were forced to watch for their job

the guy assigned to review EX-ARM slowly lost their mind over the course of the seasonal recap

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Why do you motherfuckers do this every season.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Bokura Protocol 01 was fun.
A low stakes e-sports anime. (aim is to win at e-sports and save the e-cafe he works at)
and love the low res graphics and polygons of the actual game reminds me of old games.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what loving old games are you thinking of. this game is brink on an intel integrated card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hey i'm not watching that literal pig poo poo i just found the reviews funny

didn't know the studio got access to guns undarkness footage