Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

gohuskies posted:

Blizz clearly realized that there was too much mission choice in WOL and it was hurting the story, because they cut it down in HotS and LotV. I don't recall LotV as well but in Heart, you get to choose between mission chains but once you're in a chain, you're going all the way through it before you get to switch to a new one.

Heart and Legacy both have the same structure here. The big difference is you do have to complete everything (I think) to start the final mission chain.

Add me to the list of people who swore they heard about the protoss justification some 13 years ago, but memory is dumb and also suggestion is a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 18

Mengsk! It's always Mengsk! The end of the universe is coming and I should have known he'd be behind it!

But how did he hybridize zerg and protoss? The technology required is way beyond anything terrans have developed. He can't be working alone on this...

The final research notice! :toot:

>Watch news.

Let's play that clip again.

A commotion starts up in the background.

Okay, I know they can't do that much here, since there's a good chance first time players could miss the mission unlock, but did they really have to do the 'news broadcast is forcibly shut down' thing twice in a row?

>Talk to Tosh.

Searing. Blinding. Like feelin' the sun burning your face with your eyes squeezed shut. I never felt a thing like that before. I hope I never do again.

>Talk to Swann.

Great, like we ain't got enough to handle with the zerg. Now we got Mengsk breedin' his own drat monsters too.

Wait what the hell was that.

>Examine Protoss Tank.

>Use Research Console.

And now I'm getting money from spare protoss research.

The final set of protoss upgrades consist of the Tech Reactor, an add-on we've seen on a number of Dominion buildings that'll let me save real estate on multiple Tech Lab'd buildings.

Or the Orbital Strike, which lets me drop infantry units directly on a rally point.

Orbital Strike can open up cheese strats for a few missons, but Tech Reactor is better for general use.

Wait, is that...

Oh god it's the rocket outhouse from Zero Hour.

Good news, everyone!

You're all no longer allowed to delay these missions!

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 11, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Tyrador, of course.

Haven's probably just going to be one planet-sized mass of Zerg by the time we finally get to it.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Tyrador, obviously, that great big Hercules shuttle needs a chance to be a BIG SHOT.

Regalingualius posted:

Haven's probably just going to be one planet-sized mass of Zerg by the time we finally get to it.

At this point Zerg have completely colonized the planet. There's been a couple generations there who never knew it as anything other than a Zerg world. They have zerg suburbs and zerg soda shops and zerg office jobs. Then Raynor comes in and just starts shooting up the place. Terror in the streets. Mass panic.

No Jim. *You* are the monsters

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

bladededge posted:

At this point Zerg have completely colonized the planet. There's been a couple generations there who never knew it as anything other than a Zerg world. They have zerg suburbs and zerg soda shops and zerg office jobs. Then Raynor comes in and just starts shooting up the place. Terror in the streets. Mass panic.

No Jim. *You* are the monsters

We gear up for the inevitable final battle on Char, only to find the place deserted. Kerrigan decided to move the entire swarm to Haven.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The Zerg eventually got bored of Haven and moved on, leaving it empty of all sentient life. Since then, a new batch of human colonists has arrived.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Zerg eventually got bored of Haven and moved on, leaving it empty of all sentient life. Since then, a new batch of human colonists has arrived.
Probably gone through multiple batches, by now. But, I mean, sure: you could be attacked by Zerg and turned into a horrifying genetic monstrosity who lives only to serve the Overmind Queen of Blades, but it's the only place in the entire sector where you can afford an apartment on minimum wage!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I know plenty of people right now who would take that deal, forget refugees living in a dystopian future.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gotta be Tyrador. We haven't come this far just to save the colonists in a timely manner now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Haven was the original benchwarmer, and it won't be getting off that bench if I have anything to say about it.

Shame about the Vikings though. They're kinda cool. Oh well, the Hercules is about to be obsolete. As if it was ever relevant.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tyrador, because I want to compare it with the Knights of Tyrador cosmetic pack.

Also because I want to see how many lines Hanson has left.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
So I was thinking, if we just skipped Haven completely, could we make Bisby finish the game without Vikings? And maybe pick the air heavy variant of that one mission in the future? :v:

Warmachine posted:

Haven was the original benchwarmer, and it won't be getting off that bench if I have anything to say about it.

Shame about the Vikings though. They're kinda cool. Oh well, the Hercules is about to be obsolete. As if it was ever relevant.

I haven't used medivacs once during my last playthrough, the healing is just too bad compared to upgraded medics. I did some drops with the Hercules, because yeeting huge bioball in like a second is always fun (if not great strategy).

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Haven, more like Haven't. Please go to Tyrador, this obviously is the most important of the two.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
We don't go to Haven.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We should never do Haven, and then Bisby should show us the mission as a bonus after finishing WoL.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Torrannor posted:

We should never do Haven, and then Bisby should show us the mission as a bonus after finishing WoL.

Starcraft II has three (four? (five???)) campaigns to do after Wings of Liberty. We could just leave it until after those. :unsmigghh:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Ending the LP with Nova going to check out Haven. I like it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Let's go to Haven and let Kerrigan finish her archeology degree, she can polish her thesis a bit more.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tyrador, I want to see if Ariel has more to say about stuff.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Time to go say hi to the ex.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Research Spotlight: Protoss

Tier 1

Ultra-Capacitor
  • Weapon upgrades now give +5% attack speed per level.
These self-replenishing Ultra-Capacitors reduce the reload time of all of our weapons and weapons systems.

Now each of the weapon upgrades in the Armory and Engineering Bay increases attack speed by 5% in addition to increasing damage.

This is just a free 15% increase in your killing speed by the end of the game. Simple as it gets.

Vanadium Plating
  • Armor upgrades now give +5% max health per level.
We have created a new lightweight alloy called vanadium. Vanadium diffuses weapon impacts much more effectively than traditional armor plating, and it better preserves the life of our units.

Now each of the armor upgrades in the Armory and Engineering Bay increases unit life by 5% in addition to increasing armor.

As mentioned before, decreasing the enemy's survivability is a far more efficient way to increase yours.

Winner: Ultra-Capacitor.

Tier 2

Orbital Depots
  • Supply Depots are now constructed instantly.
We can now call down Supply Depots straight from orbit due to our new understanding of Protoss architecture. Key pivot joints have been added to the Supply Depot's structure, allowing the Supply Depot to survive the violent turbulence of breaking through an atmosphere.

Now an SCV simply has to place a Beacon, and the crew on the Hyperion will handle the rest.

Good if you have a habit of getting supply blocked, less so if you're already on top of your macro.

Micro-Filtering
  • Refineries now give 5 vespene per trip instead of 4.
Combining Terran and Protoss filtering techniques allows our Refineries and Automated Refineries to reclaim a higher amount of vespene gas in its purest form.

This makes it much easier to build high-tech armies, which are always bottlenecked by gas.

Winner: Honestly, either one works here depending on how you play.

Tier 3

Automated Refinery
  • Refineries are replaced by Automated Refineries, which produce gas without needing SCVs to mine.
  • Automated Refineries cost 100 minerals and take 45 seconds to build, up from the 75 minerals and 30 seconds of a normal Refinery.
We have adapted Protoss warp technology to transport gas canisters straight from the Refinery to the Command Center, eliminating the need for SCVs to carry them back.

Why the Protoss have never thought to transport vespene in this fashion is a mystery. Perhaps they lack Terran creativity and pragmatism, or possibly their primitive superstitions forbid the practice.

Two consectutive upgrades to vespene harvesting, and this one has much more of an impact. Yeah, it's a bit more expensive than a stock Refinery, but that extra 25 minerals and 15 seconds are saving you the 150 minerals and 51 seconds needed to make the SCVs needed to saturate a geyser. On top of that, it lets you instantly max out on gas at the start of a mission without needing to pull SCVs from minerals, and if you're making a maxed out army it lets you cram in an extra 3 supply worth of units per geyser you tap.

Also wow, 'primitive superstitions.' Did they really need to throw in some surprise racism?

Command Center Reactor
  • Command Centers can now build two SCVs simultaneously.
We now have the ability to train two SCVs simultaneously, allowing our early mineral and vespene production to ramp up twice as quickly.

This breakthrough, made possible by recent insights into Protoss containment fields, should help us get a stronger foothold early in future missions.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I've actually cooled on this after thinking about it a bit.

Like, sure this will let you get your economy going at super speed considering Wings just loves to start missions with 4-5 SCVs, but depending on your mission order you'll probably hit 15 protoss research around the same time as you unlock the Terran Building upgrades. At that point, you can just buy Orbital Commands and use MULEs to more than make up the difference in your early mineral income.

Winner: Automated Refineries.

Tier 4

Raven
  • Cost: 100 minerals, 200 gas, 2 supply
  • Production Structure: Starport w/ Tech Lab
  • Health: 140
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Energy: 50/200
  • Movement Speed: 2.25
  • Attributes: Mechanical, Light, Detector
The Raven is an unmanned surveillance drone that can detect cloaked and burrowed enemy units. The Raven can also serve as a combat engineer by placing Auto-Turrets and Point Defense Drones and firing Seeker Missiles in strategically vital locations.

Being a Detector doesn't matter in the campaign, at most you'll reveal a few burrowed units here and there. So what's left is a much more active counterpart to the Science Vessel, with no auto-casting abilities.

Abilities

Build Auto-Turret
  • Cost: 50 energy
  • Raven drops Auto-Turret on target location.
  • Auto-Turret has 150 health, 2 armor, is Mechanical/Armored/Structure, and lasts for 180 seconds.
  • Auto-Turret attacks with a 12mm Gauss Cannon, which can hit all targets and has 8 damage, 0.8 cooldown, and 6 range.
A surprisingly potent tank, the Auto-Turret has more health than an upgraded Marauder and a respectible amount of armor. The gun ain't half bad either, just barely being edged out by a stimmed Marine. With full energy and Celluar Reactor, a single Raven can slam down 6 of these and force the enemy to tear through 900 HP worth of turrets before they can reach your backline.

They do have one issue, however, in that their Structure tag lets Ultralisks use their Structure-exclusive ram attack which deals 60 damage a hit and crumple an Auto Turret in just three hits.

Build Point Defense Drone
  • Cost: 100 energy
  • Raven drops a floating Point Defense Drone on target location.
  • Point Defense Drone has 50 health, 200 energy, 0 armor, is Mechanical/Light/Structure, and lasts for 180 seconds.
  • Point Defense Drone has the Point Defense Laser ability, which costs 10 energy and automatically shoots down all ranged attacks with a physical projectile in range.
  • 'Invisible' projectiles such as a Marine's bullets, or energy streams from a Void Ray are unaffected.
Normally, the effectiveness of this would depend heavily on what you're fighting. Against Terrans, for instance, you have Marines and Siege Tanks that ignore it entirely and Battlecruisers that attack so quickly it'll burn through all its energy in a blink.

However, if you haven't figured it out yet, the endgame of Wings is aaaaaaaaaallll about that TvZ, where the only ranged unit that isn't nailed by this are Roaches (for whatever reason). This lets a Raven completely shutdown Hydras and Mutas and render them completely helpless.

Seeker Missile
  • Cost: 125 energy
  • Raven fires a Seeker Missile at target enemy.
  • Seeker Missile starts off slowly moving towards target before speeding up. Missile will time out after 15 seconds without contact.
  • Seeker Missile deals 100 splash damage.
Eh. They take a while to get moving, cost a ton of energy, and 100 damage for 125 energy just isn't that much when I can make a single Siege Tank that deals more than that every three seconds.

Science Vessel
  • Cost: 100 minerals, 200 gas, 2 supply
  • Production Structure: Starport w/ Tech Lab
  • Health: 200
  • Armor: 1 (+1)
  • Energy: 50/200
  • Movement Speed: 2
  • Attributes: Mechanical, Light, Detector
We have created a unique version of the Science Vessel that can perform hull repairs on friendly mechanical units. This version of the Science Vessel can also Irradiate individual targets and detect cloaked and burrowed enemy units.

The fire-and-forget counterpart to the Raven, the Science Vessel has a bit more bulk than the Raven and has the always useful Nano-Repair.

Abilities

Irradiate
  • Cost: 25 energy
  • Science Vessel creates a radiation field on target unit that lasts for 30 seconds.
  • Radiation field deals 10 initial damage and 8 damage per second on all biological targets in range.

As I just said, the endgame is purely against zerg so this becomes a universal damage button. Yeah, it'll hurt your own bio units too, but if you're making Science Vessels you're probably going for a mech army to begin with.

It makes Seeker Missile even worse, honestly. Irradiate costs 1/5 the energy and deals 250 damage over the duration to everything in range.

Nano-Repair
  • Cost: 1 energy per 3 health
  • Science Vessel heals a friendly mechanical unit.

An ability so good you don't need to care about Irradiate. High tech armies are pricey, and being able to keep them patched up without needing a group of SCVs to follow behind your army is extremely useful.

Winner: Science Vessels, just because they can keep an incredibly powerful, incredibly expensive army alive without needing to shell out money for repairs.

Tier 5

Tech Reactor
  • Tech Labs and Reactors are replaced by Tech Reactors, which combine the functionality of both.
  • Tech Reactors cost 75/75 and take 50 seconds to build, compared to 50/25, 25 for Tech Labs and 50/50, 50 for Reactors.
Protoss plasma shields have finally given us the ability to fit the Tech Lab and the Reactor into a single structure add-on.

This new add-on, known as the Tech Reactor, replaces the old Tech Lab and Reactor add-ons and allows us to train two of any unit type simultaneously.

This one can actually be a bit awkward to use, depending on how you play. If you're just doing whatever, great! You save a lot of valuable base real estate and a good chunk of cash over having to make 2-4 of any given production structure! If you're steamrolling the map with a bio army, you're paying more money when you only really need one or two Tech Labs and a bunch of Reactors.

Orbital Strike
  • Barracks units are now deploy in drop pods, instantly arriving at the Barracks' rally point]
We have developed a low-cost Drop-Pod that lets us send our infantry units straight from the Hyperion to the Barracks' rally point.

This technological marvel gives us the ability to reinforce instantly when far from our main base and to surprise the enemy from above.

This can let you cheese a handful of missions by just tossing units at an objective that normally intends for you to get past an army to reach, but is a bit meh for general use. The infantry restriction means all those slower mechs and flyers still have to cross the distance like normal, and on defense missions (and there are a good number of them) all it really does is save you the five second trip from your base to your defensive line.

Winner: Tech Reactors for normal play, Orbital Strike if you're going pure infantry.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 10, 2023

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

BisbyWorl posted:

Tech Reactor
  • Tech Labs and Reactors are replaced by Tech Reactors, which combine the functionality of both.
  • Tech Reactors cost 75/75 and take 50 seconds to build, compared to 50/25, 18 for Tech Labs and 50/50, 36 for Reactors.
Protoss plasma shields have finally given us the ability to fit the Tech Lab and the Reactor into a single structure add-on.

This new add-on, known as the Tech Reactor, replaces the old Tech Lab and Reactor add-ons and allows us to train two of any unit type simultaneously.

This one can actually be a bit awkward to use, depending on how you play. If you're just doing whatever, great! You save a lot of valuable base real estate and a good chunk of cash over having to make 2-4 of any given production structure! If you're steamrolling the map with a bio army, you're paying more money and time when you only really need one or two Tech Labs and a bunch of Reactors.

So, funny thing, those are the LOTV Multiplayer values of time for the Tech Lab and Reactor, and because we're in the campaign they're actually the original Wings of Liberty values of 25 seconds for Tech Lab and 50 for Reactors... Which is actually kinda weird. See, the reason you want tech labs is to unlock access to more advanced units. Tech Reactors cost 50 more gas than Labs, where gas is already the bottleneck for high tech units such as siege tanks, and takes as long as reactors to build. It removes your ability to build anything but tech reactors, so in essence this means that taking Tech Reactors actually technically delays the first tank you build by 25 seconds. Of course, in return you get a second queue, allowing for a second tank to build and saving you 20 seconds on building a second tank... but if you don't have the 150/125 to pony up for a second tank, that queue goes idle.

It's not really a distinction that super matters but it is funny to see such a high level piece of tech actually be a tradeoff depending on how important getting a second tank is compared to getting the first.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Winner: Tech Reactors for normal play, Orbital Strike if you're going pure infantry.

Like you need anything beyond the MMM trifecta to steam roll WoL :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

One little thing about Vanadium Plating.

Vanadium isn't an alloy, it's an already existing metal, but I guess calling it neo neo steel was too easy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Torchlighter posted:

So, funny thing, those are the LOTV Multiplayer values of time for the Tech Lab and Reactor, and because we're in the campaign they're actually the original Wings of Liberty values of 25 seconds for Tech Lab and 50 for Reactors...

Noted, went back and fixed it.

poo poo like this is part of why I'm not bothering to do skirmish write-ups. There's just so much stuff that changes from game to game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Noted, went back and fixed it.

poo poo like this is part of why I'm not bothering to do skirmish write-ups. There's just so much stuff that changes from game to game.

And that's not even getting into the concept of co-op, which is like Blizzard took the campaign and skirmish rules and smashed them together into a strangely compelling format which wouldn't work for versus but is great for letting two people use fun toys against the AI.

Seriously, I'm not comfortable with how much I'm actually enjoying co-op--moreso even than ladder. Once again, if not for Bisby, I'd have not given SC2 a second look in 2023, and yet here I am wasting hours on a ten year old RTS game from the sex pest company.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warmachine posted:

And that's not even getting into the concept of co-op, which is like Blizzard took the campaign and skirmish rules and smashed them together into a strangely compelling format which wouldn't work for versus but is great for letting two people use fun toys against the AI.

Seriously, I'm not comfortable with how much I'm actually enjoying co-op--moreso even than ladder. Once again, if not for Bisby, I'd have not given SC2 a second look in 2023, and yet here I am wasting hours on a ten year old RTS game from the sex pest company.

I think the spice to co-op is that Blizzard simply does not have to give a gently caress about co-op factions being 'balanced' or 'challenging' and could go completely nuts. If you want a harder experience, that's what mutations and solo challenges and whatnot are for.

Stukov in co-op is some of the best RTS fun I've ever had.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Co Op is a lot of fun and while it's got problems like Zeratul being obnoxiously overpowered it is something that RTS really needs to revisit to pick up steam.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SIGSEGV posted:

One little thing about Vanadium Plating.

Vanadium isn't an alloy, it's an already existing metal, but I guess calling it neo neo steel was too easy.

This annoys me too; besides just being bad engineering, it's incredibly lazy writing. If you know your periodic table it sounds just as dumb as, "We have created a new lightweight alloy called aluminum. Aluminum diffuses weapon impacts much more effectively than traditional armor plating, and it better preserves the life of our units." Could you not have written something a little more interesting, or at least taken a second to come up with a name for a new alloy?

Though I suppose it's not as bad as some of the other writing in that post. It's got some of the prime hallmarks of writers not thinking about their setting. The dig at the Protoss which gets called out is particularly funny. Yeah sure the Protoss are dumb for not teleporting their gas, but if Raynor or the Dominion get access to teleportation technology and don't do anything with it except teleport gas (and this is the case!) they're much dumber. It really speaks to the writers wanting to justify some kind of upgrade without sparing a single thought for how it should affect the broader setting. Same thing with the nanotech mentioned on the science vessel; if you have access to the kind of advanced processes which let you program a swarm of nanites that can repair a complicated mechanical structure in seconds, you are at the level of technology where it is indistinguishable from magic and the literal only limitation on what you can do is what you can imagine. Aside from being ridiculous, it also clashes terribly with the bulky Aliens-style futurism of Starcraft as set out in the original game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if a Protoss ever tells you to insert something in your gas warper, they are not trying to be helpful

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'll be honest, my reaction to "why don't the protoss do this? What a bunch of idiots!" was to immediately assume the terrains were doing something stupidly dangerous and prone to exploding because there was a reason the protoss don't do that.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Protoss: "We already stress the warp network to its peak when setting up a base and deploying a force. The damage to subspace takes ages to heal and constant micro-warps would just make it worse, rendering the area dead to the warp network and causing catastrophic breakdowns in-"
Terrans: "LOL superstitious idiots, we're not gonna be here still in five days even, let's turn reality to swiss cheese"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

I'll be honest, my reaction to "why don't the protoss do this? What a bunch of idiots!" was to immediately assume the terrains were doing something stupidly dangerous and prone to exploding because there was a reason the protoss don't do that.

Yeah, short-range warping vespene gas probably risks some sort of warp implosion that would wipe out your entire infrastructure. Of course, this is Stettman talking, whose attitude to "there is a possibility this sample might eat the ship" is "better not tell Swann, he'd make me get rid of it". He'd probably call it a primitive superstition even if he knew exactly what the risk is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

disposablewords posted:

Protoss: "We already stress the warp network to its peak when setting up a base and deploying a force. The damage to subspace takes ages to heal and constant micro-warps would just make it worse, rendering the area dead to the warp network and causing catastrophic breakdowns in-"
Terrans: "LOL superstitious idiots, we're not gonna be here still in five days even, let's turn reality to swiss cheese"

Wasn't it the secret mission in SC1 that had a bit where Terrans struggled to get a stolen Pylon working without exploding?

Back when I'd heard that the SC2 campaign would include campaign-only upgrades, I thought Raynor's Raiders were going to turn into a Terran/Protoss hybrid race due to Raynor being buddies with them. Teenage me was imagining poo poo like vultures firing reaver scarabs, battlecruisers with interceptors riding wingmate, and ghosts with psi storm.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 10, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

“In a stunning development, rebel James Raynor and his entire crew were found dead on their flagship Hyperion just hours ago. The investigation is still underway, but preliminary reports suggest that they were all killed in an accident involving experimental vespene gas teleportation technology that led to a rapid lethal buildup of gas. In other news…”

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Alternatively, "Safe warp use requires psi-calibration that 98% of you don't even have senses for!"

I don't know, I just like making up dumb excuses to patch such oddities sometimes.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, and Stettman pulling a reddit atheist feels totally in character as well

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
This is just another one of those situations where I'd love to take a character from the game, and sit them down in front of the game itself just to see how they'd react to it (and how they'd play).

In this case, have a certain Phase- Smith from Legacy of the Void play through Wings of Liberty, and make sure he reads all of Stetmann's notes and all the technology descriptions and such, just to see how he'd react to it all.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

BlazetheInferno posted:

This is just another one of those situations where I'd love to take a character from the game, and sit them down in front of the game itself just to see how they'd react to it (and how they'd play).

In this case, have a certain Phase- Smith from Legacy of the Void play through Wings of Liberty, and make sure he reads all of Stetmann's notes and all the technology descriptions and such, just to see how he'd react to it all.

He just spends the whole time screaming about Space OSHA violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Theory - Protoss have probes handle the mining stuff, and the probes can't be trusted with teleporting gas. Meanwhile, the auto refinery do require someone at the base to make sure nothing explodes - and as far as the protoss are concerned, this is a waste of staff that could be better used elsewhere.