Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

biosphere breakdown event x happens

media attention follows

things don't immediately keep getting worse

it's not that bad yet

prepare to rinse and repeat this for the rest of your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Someone should really think about doing something. I'm busy playing video games

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

brakeless posted:

things get worse

things immediately keep getting worse

prepare to lol and lmao for the rest of your life

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
just noticed we're breaking the heat record in seattle today by 4 degrees.

but everyone is excited because its warm and sunny in october. lmao. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3eb5g9NH30

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rock Puncher posted:

Someone should really think about doing something. I'm busy playing video games

I'm playing the RDR2 epilogue after playing this game on and off for months! I'm having fun!

:kiddo:

celadon posted:

gaming while periodically glancing at the giant hourglass emblazoned with a symbol of the earth i keep ominously displayed in the living room corner

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Oct 7, 2023

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Car Hater posted:

No one will step up and do the needful

What do you mean? There's nothing that can be done to stop what's coming.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

starkebn posted:

we could speed things up a little so we can start doing victory laps?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
If there was any shred of doubt in my mind about aerosols being bad, it's been erased. Start 'em up again! Enshroud this planet in cooling darkness, post-haste!

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

i just know the first light scattering plan is going to end up obliterating the ozone layer somehow, like theres a bizarre interaction between sulfates and airborne microplastics and ozone wherein the lattermost is zeroed out at a phenomenal rate, and then noone will be able to go outside ever again. and we only have a few years before we start stratospheric injections, i think

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
If the ozone goes completely then every green plant will die like The Road

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Dokapon Findom posted:

If the ozone goes completely then every green plant will die like The Road

but i need green plants to live, thats most of all available plants

kater
Nov 16, 2010

this is why we need to colonize the moon, to grow food

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
the carbon footprint from qassom rockets fired by hamas is having untold disasters on the climate

by bari weiss

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Still got purple haze so it's fine. Gonna dual wield bongs in the apocalypse

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Even if all terrestrial plants die we'll have kelp and ocean food it'll be fine there's seed banks

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Soon enough we'll have lab chicken meat that has been grown using crude oil synthesised nutrients so there won't be any need for green plants.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

starkebn posted:

If we form a complete human centipede that wraps around the whole world and reconnects with itself we can finally be sustainable without all the intense agriculture etc and the planet will heal itself

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

just noticed we're breaking the heat record in seattle today by 4 degrees.

but everyone is excited because its warm and sunny in october. lmao. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3eb5g9NH30

:) :) :) :) :)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

celadon posted:

i just know the first light scattering plan is going to end up obliterating the ozone layer somehow, like theres a bizarre interaction between sulfates and airborne microplastics and ozone wherein the lattermost is zeroed out at a phenomenal rate, and then noone will be able to go outside ever again. and we only have a few years before we start stratospheric injections, i think

It's more likely that we're going to absolutely annihilate "normal" weather patterns and be left with a choice between two wildly unstable and unpredictable climate regimes and no one will be able to settle on "just stop doing it" as the right answer until we've killed a shitload of people.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Paradoxish posted:

It's more likely that we're going to absolutely annihilate "normal" weather patterns and be left with a choice between two wildly unstable and unpredictable climate regimes and no one will be able to settle on "just stop doing it" as the right answer until we've killed a shitload of people.

just feebly saying "our climate relief efforts have created tens of thousands of jobs" as our federal infrastructure slowly shrivels under the weight of the gerontocracy and private equity sucking the corpse dry

I doubt that people in charge will take notice until it starts impacting them directly when they can no longer insure real estate and Tahoe loses all its snow for multiple years

still it'll take time; even the current shortage of labor is driving business crazy but they're not attributing things to the effects of the ongoing pandemic or the out of control price spiral

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It was actually hot in London yesterday. Yesterday being 8 October. October

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Microplastics posted:

that remins me i gotta pay my electric bill

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Oglethorpe posted:

that remins me i gotta pay my electric bill

how much? be honest.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Microplastics posted:

In Finland it was 3-4C yesterday, with 10m/s wind. So things are not obviously that bad yet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just realised yesterday was 7 October because I'm an idiot.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
But still!!!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Microplastics posted:

Just realised yesterday was 7 October because I'm an idiot.
I don’t remember who started posting these but it’s my new favourite thing to look at and lol every warm day

also I cannot figure out how to do a proper imgur post on mobile because they seem hell-bent on not letting anyone actually use their site anymore wtf

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've been looking for something like that. What site is that?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Just the iOS weather app, there’s an “averages” panel you can tap to show more details

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

TACD posted:

I don’t remember who started posting these but it’s my new favourite thing to look at and lol every warm day

also I cannot figure out how to do a proper imgur post on mobile because they seem hell-bent on not letting anyone actually use their site anymore wtf

It wuz me! The new averages part is pretty good. Guessing it's like the Dark Sky historical lookback function which they didn't copy when they bought that company. Alternatively, you can look at Earth Nullschool and check out temperature anomaly to see how much deviation there is from norms.

And you need to go to the desktop website (so "Request Desktop Website" in Safari) and try and copy the BBcode share link as you would on desktop.

I'm sat outside in sunshine with no breeze and it's a high of 23ºC today in East Anglia. Super normal and cool stuff we're having here.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 13:23 on Oct 8, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh is that the Darksky app that apple bought, locking all the rest of us out of using it? I'm still seething about that

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

Oh is that the Darksky app that apple bought, locking all the rest of us out of using it? I'm still seething about that

Yeah, they acquired it in 2021 and then pulled it entirely from iOS as well as Android in 2022, since they brought out the new Weather app in iOS 16 or something. I miss some of the features they used to have, though Apple seems to be slowly bringing that stuff back in like these averages and various other details outside of the immediate real time rain radar thing.

EDIT: Sea surface temp. anomaly best part of 10ºC. No big deal.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Oct 8, 2023

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Microplastics posted:

i live in canada and the other day my friend got heat stroke from being on the beach

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

EDIT: Sea surface temp. anomaly best part of 10ºC. No big deal.

the fish can just swim down. whats the problem?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

smoobles posted:

the fish can just swim down. whats the problem?

Bad news about that, chief.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1710989047324119355

Summer hasn't even begun yet.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The atmospheric river that dumps a year of rain on a random nation a continent away can simply be outlawed and the repercussions being the water to be returned to the Amazon or face severe fines.

We need to get HARDER on the biosphere for this stuff, not softer. Time to lawyer up, Gaia.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

another sign that Democrats in America are serious about climate change, as Gavin Newsom vetos the bill banning fake carbon offsets:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/SB-390-Veto.pdf

quote:

This bill makes certain actions related to voluntary carbon offsets subject to the False Advertising Law, including with respect to offsets that a person knows, or should have known, do not durably reduce greenhouse gases in an amount equal to the "atmospheric lifetime" of carbon dioxide emissions.

I support the author's intent to bring greater transparency to the verification, issuance, and sale of voluntary carbon offsets, and to address the problem of so-called "junk offsets." However, by imposing civil liability for even unintentional mistakes about offset quality, this bill could inadvertently capture well-intentioned sellers and verifiers of voluntary offsets, and risks creating significant turmoil in the market for carbon offsets, potentially even beyond California. I encourage the author to consider an alternative approach to ensuring voluntary carbon offset quality that avoids these unintended consequences.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/power-switch/2023/10/05/climate-leaves-home-insurance-changed-forever-00120168

Politico posted:

In a major policy shift, California may allow insurance companies to factor in climate change risks when calculating premiums — the latest example of how a warming planet is reshaping the economy.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2023-10-05/yanis-varoufakiss-technofeudalism-what-killed-capitalism/

Yanis posted:

Now, in Technofeudalism: What Killed Capitalism, Yanis Varoufakis – the “libertarian Marxist” former finance minister of Greece – makes an excellent case that capitalism died a decade ago, turning into a new form of feudalism: technofeudalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

in a simlar vein https://www.businessinsider.in/thel...w/104261030.cms

also posting this just for the headline alone https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/t...er-verthp-feeds