Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Smacking into you with my 1 ton, 6 foot tall at the grill electric post at only 6pph, immediately breaking your ribs and hip while giving you a concussion

"They jumped out right in front of me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just post with the organic flow of the thread. that’s safer than whatever arbitrary post limit the government sets

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

eXXon posted:

Excellent suggestion. Unfortunately the only available option is 10 minutes (6pph) so I have enabled that for everyone's safety.

this truly is a pedestrians paradise!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Should have said my posting is pedestrian ha ha haaa

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I wonder if I can break the law?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I see. Emergency posting vehicles are excepted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

A kid can buy a 500 dollar motor and batteries, and toss it into a broken $1500 dollar honda civic, and that is another car in the road for $2000.

This is like Lucille Bluth banana levels of brainstorming.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Oct 8, 2023

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mystes posted:

Is this a real thing that actually exists in 2023?

Platystemon posted:

This is like Lucille Bluth banana levels of banana levels of brainstorming.

It exists. The reason kids in the usa are not doing it is because they still have money, or the process is still too time consuming or has too many point of failure, which will disappear in 10 years when it becomes easier and more common.

2009 video of a Forklift engine inside of the most common car in the USA, a Honda Accord.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YblL928zaOw

and it driving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP1GrwV87SY

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

eXXon posted:

I see. Emergency posting vehicles are excepted.

you only turned your siren on to go through the light, and I noted you were definitely not wearing your helmet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The curves in this thread are designed for 45 pph, I see no reason for anyone to post slower.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It exists. The reason kids in the usa are not doing it is because they still have money, or the process is still too time consuming or has too many point of failure, which will disappear in 10 years when it becomes easier and more common.

2009 video of a Forklift engine inside of the most common car in the USA, a Honda Accord.

and it driving.

It’s had fourteen years from the time of that video and the growth in all that time has been immeasurable, but sure, give it ten years and it’ll be everywhere, and ten years after that they’ll have Mr. Fusions.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

and it driving.

:chloe:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

cheesy acronyms are better when they're applied to transit manifestos instead of surveillance bills

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Platystemon posted:

It’s had fourteen years from the time of that video and the growth in all that time has been immeasurable, but sure, give it ten years and it’ll be everywhere, and ten years after that they’ll have Mr. Fusions.

All I am saying is that:
The argument that "Cars are Expensive, and people will stop driving because they are expensive." will disappear

I was asked to give proof that people took a cheap engine, and put it in cheap cars. And I gave you the proof that people did that action.

Now, you're like: "1 guy did it 14 years ago. And in those 14 years there hasn't been this huge wave of cheap electric cars that flooded the streets. Mazzi you are stupid because you don't see how cars are expensive."

Yeah you're right there wasn't this huge flood of cheap electric cars. Because it was hard to convert a car to an electric motor 14 year ago and buying gas was easier.

But it's possible for a person to do it 14 years ago, and it's still possible right now.
And it is easier to do it now.

Will it be a thing that everybody will do? Maybe. Maybe not.
But the possibility of converting cars will reduce the price of cars, because car manufactures will want to sell a new car, then lose a sale letting kids convert old cars.

And people have already started to sell kits to convert cars.
And other people will start garages that specialize in converting cars.

Here are a bunch of listing of people selling loving cheap electric cars.
http://www.evfinder.com/classifieds.htm

Don't rely on cars being expensive in the future to save you.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

why would lower cost to manufacture mean cars would be cheaper to the end user? That could be more profit

also wait till you learn about serialization

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i don't know if i'd call those "loving cheap" but they are cool

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

and it driving.

I converted a toyota echo to an EV back in ~2014, using a forklift motor and chinese LFP batteries. It can be done but it's still a huge job that the vast majority of people aren't capable of doing and it will end up costing you more than just buying a used Leaf these days.

A few things to consider:

- Modern cars are all networked and everything has to be talking to everything else or the car will shut down/go into limp mode, so if you just rip the engine out nothing else will work unless you also rip every other electronic system out or you spoof the network into thinking the engine is still there and working.
- The engine is used for a lot of non-driving things, particularly in older cars, like power steering pumps, vacuum for brakes, heat for window demisting, air conditioning etc. If you remove the engine you have to replace all of these systems with electric-powered versions too or else the car isn't safe/legal to drive.
- The easiest way to do the conversion is to leave the gearbox in-place because it (for a front wheel drive car) already includes the differential and a bunch of convenient mounting points. The easiest thing to convert is a manual car, but those are getting increasingly hard to find, and automatic gearboxes are more difficult/less efficient to attach an electric motor to as they generally rely on the input shaft constantly spinning like an ICE engine would.

Edit: Oh and also these cars aren't designed to fit a battery pack, the volume occupied by the ICE and petrol tank is nowhere near enough to get a decent range, so you can do what I did and sacrifice the rear seats for a battery box, or sacrifice your boot space, either way you're going to end up with a lot less room/passenger space in the car vs. original or have a pretty short range unless you put a huge amount of effort into splitting the battery pack up into chunks and hiding them all over the car.

Blackhawk has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Oct 8, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7286141082717392158

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Folks I am going to convert my car to electric after I watch this YouTube video about removing the engine and putting in a battery and then slamming down the Frankenstein switch during an electrical storm

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
You think that accord remembers being a forklift? Could be dangerous if you see a crate

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
lmfao

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

All I am saying is that:
The argument that "Cars are Expensive, and people will stop driving because they are expensive." will disappear

I was asked to give proof that people took a cheap engine, and put it in cheap cars. And I gave you the proof that people did that action.

Now, you're like: "1 guy did it 14 years ago. And in those 14 years there hasn't been this huge wave of cheap electric cars that flooded the streets. Mazzi you are stupid because you don't see how cars are expensive."

Yeah you're right there wasn't this huge flood of cheap electric cars. Because it was hard to convert a car to an electric motor 14 year ago and buying gas was easier.

But it's possible for a person to do it 14 years ago, and it's still possible right now.
And it is easier to do it now.

Will it be a thing that everybody will do? Maybe. Maybe not.
But the possibility of converting cars will reduce the price of cars, because car manufactures will want to sell a new car, then lose a sale letting kids convert old cars.

And people have already started to sell kits to convert cars.
And other people will start garages that specialize in converting cars.

Here are a bunch of listing of people selling loving cheap electric cars.
http://www.evfinder.com/classifieds.htm

Don't rely on cars being expensive in the future to save you.

cheap EVs come from China and we’re not allowed to buy them in freedomland where the government literally ran a program to buy up and destroy all the cheap cars

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

If you can't see due to barriers, you should slow down so that you don't accidentally hit anyone (or anything) that may be behind them. Or, to put it another way:

If there's a barrier you could jump out with like an inch before the car, literally milliseconds time to react even at 5 mph

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cars are not going to become cheap wtf. Expensive cars are a cornerstone of the US economy. Government and industry will keep it that way.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
apologies if i posted about it before, but there was a case in my city a few months back where a driver of a newish dodge challenger killed someone while driving 100mph. charged with driving with a revoked license and possession of a firearm by a felon. i dont understand the economics of it, no way the driver was a good bet on financing or insurance or could afford anything, i would think?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Platystemon posted:

That video came out right around cash for clunkers. Reading up on conversions you just need a 30 year old light sedan, manual transmission, that hasn't rusted away or sold to clunkers. Simple as

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

That video came out right around cash for clunkers. Reading up on conversions you just need a 30 year old light sedan, manual transmission, that hasn't rusted away or sold to clunkers. Simple as

you'd also need to live in a state that doesn't do inspections cause that would not pass in mine

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

enjoying the posts where electric cars are going to cost pennies and have magic engines and run on free energy and also you can just attach a mr. fusion to your corolla. reminds me of discovery channel/TLC pop-sci poo poo from when I was a kid

mystes
May 31, 2006

Regardless of how practical they actually are, I think if Americans were willing to accept cheap electric conversions of really old cars they would probably also accept super cheap/light electric cars with low maximum speeds and no safety features, so I imagine that whatever factors (social, legal, etc.) are stopping Americans from using the latter will also stop the former.

It's not entirely impossible that the increasing prices of cars will change Americans' attitudes, but since the prevailing view in the US seems to be that anything that isn't a giant/heavy SUV/truck is unsafe, and cars are only getting bigger, it seems like people might continue to become even more afraid of smaller/lighter vehicles, so I'm not really sure what's going to happen.

mystes has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Oct 8, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

and it driving.

I believe you're mistaken, the car of the future isn't a $500 electric motor in such a luxury vehicle as a Honda Accord, in the grim dark future Americans can only afford a $99 engine and a Honda Insight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2FKDtpRt8

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

"cars are expensive" will be the most easily defeated argument in 10 years.

Solar power is going to create tons of free energy.
Electric Motors are going to be come more efficient and use less energy
and become easier to produce and require less precision than gas motors..

Batteries are going to be more efficient and require less space.
Car parts are going to be much easier to manufacture, and 3d printing whole cars will take off.

And all of this will be cheaper.

Even if, right now, car lanes cannot be taken away, at least stopping lanes from being added, will ensure that in the future people use less cars,
because population growth, and the growing urban density will cause more people to not use cars.

Yeah, I know people are leaving major cities, but major city people are moving to middle density areas;
and at the same time, people from very rural areas are also moving into the middle density areas.
where do I sign up to short this port specifically

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Cars are not going to become cheap wtf. Expensive cars are a cornerstone of the US economy. Government and industry will keep it that way.

Yeah, it's just simple capitalism. Why make a thing cheap when you can cartel to make it expensive with a huge profit?

But even if cars were cheap (automation does make this technically possible) and ran on plentiful, clean power (again, possible with some nuclear, wind and solar investments), and even assuming it wasn't a massive drain on resources (lol, lmao), cars would still be unsuitable for personal transportation in cities.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
How do I get a light truck - like the kind the Taliban drives. I want it used with no loving spyware computer poo poo in it and a tapedeck. Manual transmission is fine. Single cab with seats that slide forward so I can put my tools behind them. If I get one that's old enough so I don't have to smog check it are there places that can fix it up and maybe even make its parts even slightly modern? I don't know what my options are. Should I get a van instead? I want to carry around tools for work without tweakers stealing all my poo poo.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

LuxuryLarva posted:

How do I get a light truck - like the kind the Taliban drives.

hmm....

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

LuxuryLarva posted:

How do I get a light truck - like the kind the Taliban drives. I want it used with no loving spyware computer poo poo in it and a tapedeck. Manual transmission is fine. Single cab with seats that slide forward so I can put my tools behind them. If I get one that's old enough so I don't have to smog check it are there places that can fix it up and maybe even make its parts even slightly modern? I don't know what my options are. Should I get a van instead? I want to carry around tools for work without tweakers stealing all my poo poo.

you sould go to kabul and buy one from the taliban

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

you sould go to kabul and buy one from the taliban

be sure to tell them "taliban ftw" so they know you're an ally

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are Toyota hiaces not the go to car for people with tools? Incidentally, working a trade is one of the most legitimate reasons to own a car

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonHair posted:

Are Toyota hiaces not the go to car for people with tools? Incidentally, working a trade is one of the most legitimate reasons to own a car
In 'straya and NZ there's a bunch. Here it's all eurovans (sprinters and cheaper equivalents). Construction assholes are starting to get US pickups more and more and I can't wait til they get taxed into the loving ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

they dont sell them in the US lol, the only trucks you can buy are huge brodozers. even the ford ranger, which they brought back, is like as big as or bigger than an f-150 (full size truck) was when they discontinued the ranger.