Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I turn off werebeasts every time, don't feel bad about it. There's even a setting so you can do it in a running fort.

In the world in my post history I had the same titan turn up to like three separate forts, those werelephants are probably migrating! and yeah they should keep nicknames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Valtonen posted:

You do realize you are feeding werefants to the world by exiling them? I highly advice naming every exile ”SUS WERE” So you notice If they immigrate to your future fortress.

Hahah this is amazing

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah you gotta exile them from this bitch of a life

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Were-creatures were funny once upon a time when you'd just get a notification that they showed up, then when you went to look all you found was some naked guy running for their life.

I turn them off in current play, though. Vampires and necromancers are fine for giving some spice, but were-creatures require so much more unfun effort.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just embrace the werecreature lifestyle and get everyone in the fort to turn. Now that's fun!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Turpitude posted:

Werebeasts are broken, if you dont turn them down to 0 in world gen then every fort goes into a death spiral when they show up. Just poo poo design

How would you improve on it?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Cup Runneth Over posted:

How would you improve on it?

I would make a dwarf turning happen more slowly, give them a transformation state where they are both vulnerable and targeted by militia

Instead of any scratched dwarf turning, only a bit dwarf should be infected and bite status should be diagnosed by medical dwarves and made an alert for the player

And i would give dwarves a stat based chance to resist turning or gain control of their
turned form, giving players a reason to keep a bit dwarf around in a cell

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
any suggestions for old time dwarf fortress players trying to make the transition to the steam version?

Having a tough time assigning labor, and making sure the dwarves are doing what I want. Specifically as it relates to the gathering professions.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I turned off werebeasts on the latest world I made after spending 2 days working on an admittedly "wow this is some straight junk" fort because a werepanda showed up and wrecked half my population of 120+ and while I was madly digging graves I forgot that my hospital that was also in the refuse pile because it was the only space I had free was also not enclosed or closed off and the 20 odd injured who were lying in a straight up pile on the floor all burst out like a panda pinata once the moon turned again and fully wrecked the rest (which I also am sad about having to miss out on because that was some loving hilarious poo poo). How did I get to a population of 120+ without a functioning hospital? Look, I never said I was good at this. I was busy dealing with the fact I kept running out of booze because of the mad capybara who kept streaking into my fort and I never once had enough cages to keep all the traps filled and the fort was filling up with them because nobody would take enough of them to free up space. I like to think that the last thoughts any visitors will now have as they show up is watching several dozen mad pandas wrecking capy's & just turn around and leave.
Edit: there's also a depressed weresheep in the cavern layer and every now and then I'd get a note to say they were toppling furniture down there. Also there was a lost visitors baby crawling around in the hills because every now and then I'd get a note that they were 'fighting' but really they'd just fallen over somewhere. I wonder if the mother was the weresheep.

Tambaloneus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 1, 2023

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I like the thing where they show up at your fort on the frame the full moon ends, so you get a pop up warning about Urist THE FARMER has appeared

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Grevlek posted:

any suggestions for old time dwarf fortress players trying to make the transition to the steam version?

Having a tough time assigning labor, and making sure the dwarves are doing what I want. Specifically as it relates to the gathering professions.

The quick answer is avoid ever assigning labour. This is probably the hardest thing I had to get my head around but after going hands off I found it to work fine. The job prioritisation system is pretty good and in most cases it doesn't matter if it gets it wrong.

The cases where it does matter:

- High skilled farmers increase yield, so use the default planter work detail for it with only people with this do it. I advise doing this with one of the first 7 so you have someone handling plant stuff from the get go.

- High skilled engravers are a great way to up value in rooms, so use the default engraver work detail with only people with this do it.

- For weapons/armour quality can impact effectiveness so making sure good people do it matters. However rather than using work details just give them a dedicated workshop and queue the appropriate orders from those. Do the same for any furniture, doors, etc you want to guarantee at high quality.

In addition, I like adding the following custom ones:

- Waiter. Hauls food, hauls refuse, burial. Set as the only job they do. Important early game to make sure this gets done. Everyone does this job, but those assigned set to only do this job.

- Janitor. Cleans. Only one who does this job and person set to only do assigned work details. I use this mainly to stop Dwarves rushing out to clean blood in the caverns if I accidentally open up access. I also give these guys hauling, stone cutting and a few other jobs so they do other stuff when bored. I also assign this to monster hunters as they're armed enough to maybe survive out in the caverns and disposable enough that if they can't it doesn't matter.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I think it was discussed in this thread shortly after the Steam release, but the one way I've found to prevent werewolf death spirals is to have a hospital where each individual room and the hospital as a whole can be locked down. For the rooms you can just have a door marked impassible. I generally use a drawbridge for the hospital entrance. Anyone involved in a were-incident is locked in their hospital room until the next full moon has passed.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

obviously the best game design choice is to make it so in adventure mode if you kill the head werebeast everyone is cured

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

A werebeast tip I learnt from classic which might work now that building destroyers are apparantly working again is to make the shortest entrance to your fort three high quality locked stone/glass doors in a row. In classic when they'd show up they'd try to break down the doors rather than go around the long way and by the time they broke through the moon was no longer full. I haven't tested it yet though.

A second tip is to not have anything open to the public - no taverns, temples, etc. That way you avoid a visitor turning inside the fort, so if the method above is working you'll be pretty safe.

As an aside, one of my biggest gripes with dwarf fortress is that opening stuff up to the public seems to introduce a lot of problems without really offering much benefit or even interesting gameplay - you just get werebeasts inside your defences and spies corrupting your Dwarves. One thing I'd love to see is some sort of benefit to opening yourself up to these risks, even a purely narrative one like the location shows up in the history logs as a renowned tavern/temple/whatever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

moller posted:

I think it was discussed in this thread shortly after the Steam release, but the one way I've found to prevent werewolf death spirals is to have a hospital where each individual room and the hospital as a whole can be locked down. For the rooms you can just have a door marked impassible. I generally use a drawbridge for the hospital entrance. Anyone involved in a were-incident is locked in their hospital room until the next full moon has passed.
I'm pretty sure it's possible for the were curse to be transmitted without a severe enough injury it requires hospitalization, particularly if people fighting the were had good armor. So while this helps it's not a cure-all.

Further Reading posted:

A werebeast tip I learnt from classic which might work now that building destroyers are apparantly working again is to make the shortest entrance to your fort three high quality locked stone/glass doors in a row. In classic when they'd show up they'd try to break down the doors rather than go around the long way and by the time they broke through the moon was no longer full. I haven't tested it yet though.

A second tip is to not have anything open to the public - no taverns, temples, etc. That way you avoid a visitor turning inside the fort, so if the method above is working you'll be pretty safe.

As an aside, one of my biggest gripes with dwarf fortress is that opening stuff up to the public seems to introduce a lot of problems without really offering much benefit or even interesting gameplay - you just get werebeasts inside your defences and spies corrupting your Dwarves. One thing I'd love to see is some sort of benefit to opening yourself up to these risks, even a purely narrative one like the location shows up in the history logs as a renowned tavern/temple/whatever.
If money still existed, selling things to travelers/visitors would be an obvious benefit, but last time it existed it as implemented in a way that was pretty bad an unfun, hence why it's gone right now.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure it's possible for the were curse to be transmitted without a severe enough injury it requires hospitalization, particularly if people fighting the were had good armor. So while this helps it's not a cure-all.
The curse is transferred through biting. If it tears skin, fat, or muscle the victim is infected. I'm not sure if you can read the combat logs now, but if you can that's the best way to do it (I haven't fired the game up in a while).

Further Reading posted:

I don;t know if this has been changed since, but the building destroyer pathing would check to see if there was a conventionally passable tile on the opposite side of a building (door, workshop tile, etc) to decide if it would walk towards it and smash the door. You could therefore trick the pathfinding of them by having a second locked door immediately behind the first, marking that tile as "impassable" and thus making the building destroyer think that there was no viable path through those doors.

It was not perfectly foolproof. A wandering building destroyer would, if it happened to walk into it, still destroy the door and suddenly learn that there was a pathable option for them. It did suffice for most things though.

Also, you can have taverns and temples just fine, just set them to only allow citizens and no one will show up as a guest.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been playing around with AI image generators to see if they can handle creating images based on DF item descriptions, and how that's changing over time as improved AI image generators are released. Back in April I made images with Midjourney based on various descriptions, which had mixed results. For example here's a fairly complicated ring, as rendered by Midjourney:

It does look like a ring, just not very much like the description in the text.

Bing Image Creator just got an upgrade that has significantly improved its parsing of text to images, and produces much more accurate images:

Bing Image Creator is free to use, so it's now even easier to create images to accompany you're DF stories.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Those are awesome, I haven't tried Midjourney's new version on descriptions yet I should knock some up. Also just had to throw the drawbridge bc a titan showed up aboveground and since I was self sufficient thought little of it. Then some migrants arrived. "Well you guys are boned" I thought and watched as it wrecked the first few with no injury and was then promptly felled by a fish dissector. She 'dissected' this giant poisonous spider like it was a big ole fish and lost a lung in the process. Once the survivors were let inside the next thing to arrive was the liaison and when they asked if I had a nomination for once I did have :D

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm playing v.47 or something like that. Is there a way to see which dwarf created an artifact? I have an artifact tomb in a stockpile and I'd like to use it to create a burial chamber for the creator.

Edit: Is it normal for the Bing image creator to take over three hours to create an image? I'm still waiting and not sure if it is normal or if it is hung up.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 2, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Brown Moses posted:

I've been playing around with AI image generators to see if they can handle creating images based on DF item descriptions, and how that's changing over time as improved AI image generators are released. Back in April I made images with Midjourney based on various descriptions, which had mixed results. For example here's a fairly complicated ring, as rendered by Midjourney:

It does look like a ring, just not very much like the description in the text.

Bing Image Creator just got an upgrade that has significantly improved its parsing of text to images, and produces much more accurate images:

Bing Image Creator is free to use, so it's now even easier to create images to accompany you're DF stories.

Surely a mod to automatically fetch and display these in game is in the works???

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Skunkduster posted:

I'm playing v.47 or something like that. Is there a way to see which dwarf created an artifact? I have an artifact tomb in a stockpile and I'd like to use it to create a burial chamber for the creator.

Edit: Is it normal for the Bing image creator to take over three hours to create an image? I'm still waiting and not sure if it is normal or if it is hung up.

It's been buggy the last 24 hours, with some big pauses to the service, but it seems to have cleared up now.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
This kid punching a wounded giant cave spider to death :eyepop:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

junan_paalla posted:

This kid punching a wounded giant cave spider to death :eyepop:

The kids are alright :black101:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Dwarf fortress: The dwarven child punches the giant cave spider in the cephalothorax…bruising the brain!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Weirdly, both mine and my partners fort have the first squad randomly named as The Crystaline Spells. Is this a thing?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I assume everyone's seen it, but for posterity's sake: there's now a road-map for adventure mode.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nettle Soup posted:

Weirdly, both mine and my partners fort have the first squad randomly named as The Crystaline Spells. Is this a thing?

There's a limited number of names and I don't think they're generated purely randomly so yeah, that'll happen. Uncommon or rare but not especially so.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

One of my Dwarves was fighting a bow goblin near the surface level opening of my volcano and dodged his rear end right into the magma.

Lived long enough to reveal some gems near the bottom at least.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

One of my Dwarves was fighting a bow goblin near the surface level opening of my volcano and dodged his rear end right into the magma.

Lived long enough to reveal some gems near the bottom at least.
Yup. Sending down a Vulcanaut puppy on a one way journey to the center of the earth is an excellent way to map the magma sea once you find a volcano/magma tube.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Continue trying things and asking questions here! You get better at the game by loving up, then learning how you hosed up and how not to gently caress up next time.

Have you set up a tavern yet? I recommend building a really big fancy one after you've got your basic infrastructure all set up. Lots of funny stories and neat little moments come out of those. I still think back fondly to shortly after their release, the first time I saw my dwarves jump out of their seats to dance while a visiting bard belted out a song :allears:

I think it was my 3rd fortress where I had multiple taverns, because everyone loved to party so hard. I would have a huge migration, and they crowded the tavern, so I'd add another tavern, and then more migrants kept coming to party, so add another one. This happened a ridiculous amount of times and I got up to like 140 dwarves without knowing what the gently caress I'm really doing lol. And then I was overrun with bards! I have a hard time saying no, so whenever a bard asked to join, I accepted. Well 30 bards later my taverns are freakin' poppin, and I started to have some warriors show up and ask to join. Which was awesome because I still have no idea how to set up any kind of defenses. I can't recall if that fortress actually died, or if i just quit it because i was so overwhelmed with the population at the time, being so new to the game. But man they loved to party hard while it lasted. None of my recent runs have been that obsessed with parties, not even in the least. I also haven't achieved that high of a population since, either.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I usually try to set up some detailed work schedules to keep the miners mining, smiths smithing, and crafters crafting.
However, I keep reading that the work auto-scheduler is really good so my next for I'm only going to set aside the "do this only" role for a few select dwarven experts and otherwise let the rest do their thing.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If a dwarf wears all magma safe clothing and is entirely covered in every possible clothing slot can they survive magma exposure

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If a dwarf wears all magma safe clothing and is entirely covered in every possible clothing slot can they survive magma exposure

I'm pretty sure they still get directly exposed to magma, and even if they didn't, they would definitely still be heated to the point of spontaneous combustion and melting

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
IIRC there used to be a bug from getting exposed to magma-steam, likely from dropping stuff into magma and getting caught in the resulting plume released off the surface of the magma, where a dwarf would get all of their skin, fat and muscle melted off but still be alive. If memory serves they would then be immune to the effects of magma because there wasn't code for killing a dwarf from exposure of the bones to heat. I'm pretty sure this got fixed though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Can they survive in magma if you turn temperature off, at least as long as they can swim/hold their breath?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Can they survive in magma if you turn temperature off, at least as long as they can swim/hold their breath?

Yes. They'll wade right through it if it isn't too deep.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait. Isn't nether cap magically always cold? My wooden clad heroes can survive the dive

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Wait. Isn't nether cap magically always cold? My wooden clad heroes can survive the dive

Nethercap is magma safe wood, yeah.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As a hot sleeper I want a bed made of nethercap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Goobish posted:

I think it was my 3rd fortress where I had multiple taverns, because everyone loved to party so hard. I would have a huge migration, and they crowded the tavern, so I'd add another tavern, and then more migrants kept coming to party, so add another one. This happened a ridiculous amount of times and I got up to like 140 dwarves without knowing what the gently caress I'm really doing lol. And then I was overrun with bards! I have a hard time saying no, so whenever a bard asked to join, I accepted. Well 30 bards later my taverns are freakin' poppin, and I started to have some warriors show up and ask to join. Which was awesome because I still have no idea how to set up any kind of defenses. I can't recall if that fortress actually died, or if i just quit it because i was so overwhelmed with the population at the time, being so new to the game. But man they loved to party hard while it lasted. None of my recent runs have been that obsessed with parties, not even in the least. I also haven't achieved that high of a population since, either.

My first forts had problems with insanely busy taverns, resulting in tons of bards trying to move in, barfigths, skeevy customers and so on, so I've started restricting my taverns to citizens only. This fort, I'm getting dozens of monster hunters eager to move in and mull around in my relatively empty caverns, I guess they heard there's tons of booze and not a lot of monsters so they're trying to freeload :shrug: