Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

God drat the art direction on this show is brilliant. Consistently beautifully beaucratic, amazing outfits. They're also clever enough to explain just enough time travel to not lose the audience but also make sure it's fun.

Mobious's astronaut suit is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I love the shirts, with the collars extending into raglan sleeves (or something).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MokBa posted:

My point is that AI "Art" ends up cheapening the real thing by association.

Sane people shouldn't think this way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

404notfound posted:

Love that the show seems to abide by the Bill and Ted rules of time travel, where doing something (or talking about doing it) in the past suddenly leads to it having been done in the present
Bill and Ted works on the rule that if you're going to do something in the past, it already happened in your present before you do it. Closed causal loops. See: Bill and Ted talking to themselves in the Circle K parking lot before they became the thems on the other end of that conversation.

What you described is dead-on for Loki, though. And that's a really cool way to do time travel too. Looper did that at one point and it was horrifying.

MokBa posted:

I don't think any of Loki is.
Some of the ads are. :mad:

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
I’ve seen way better hoofin’. It’s not even close

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

koolkal posted:

My impression was that the TVA does not have branches and exists as a single place across all universes with a single timeline.

Yea the TVA exists outside of time. OB talks about hundreds of years as if they were hours, because time passes, but it doesn't, both inside and out. You're in the TVA, you go to bed, have lunch every day, but its technically the same day, but you remember having lunch yesterday that was a ham and swiss on rye, but today you had the cobb. Also time outside of the TVA is both happening and not happening. The Roman Empire exists at the same time as The Simpsons, but they also exist 2 thousand years apart. I don't know why this time travel stuff makes complete sense to me.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

CatstropheWaitress posted:

God drat the art direction on this show is brilliant. Consistently beautifully beaucratic, amazing outfits. They're also clever enough to explain just enough time travel to not lose the audience but also make sure it's fun.

Mobious's astronaut suit is so good.

The pipe on the back of it, ridiculous in the best way.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It seems like time within the TVA self-solves branches and variants. It’s always a single prime timeline inside the confines of the TVA. Loki’s shenanigans would have, anywhere else, caused branches, but within the TVA, the branch he created in history just gets cleanly merged back in.

It would not surprise me for this to become some sort of very important plot utility for Kang

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Yea the TVA exists outside of time. OB talks about hundreds of years as if they were hours, because time passes, but it doesn't, both inside and out. You're in the TVA, you go to bed, have lunch every day, but its technically the same day, but you remember having lunch yesterday that was a ham and swiss on rye, but today you had the cobb. Also time outside of the TVA is both happening and not happening. The Roman Empire exists at the same time as The Simpsons, but they also exist 2 thousand years apart. I don't know why this time travel stuff makes complete sense to me.
Me too.
https://x.com/SofaJustice/status/1710722980274393354?s=20

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

do we know what the budget for each episode of Loki S2 is running on?
hope Ke Huy Quan appears again and wasn't just an episode 1 cameo role. please give this guy more work so he doesn't go into another self imposed exile for another 20 years

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 8, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also any "but Rutherford doesn't remember the big ball smashing the floor!" Yes but we know people in the TVA have their minds wiped, probably regularly, so when he was promoted from janitor to deskjockey, he might of been mind wiped. A big mind wipe apparently did happen at one point when there was a change from Kang openly running the show to him hiding behind the Time Keeper myth. Thats why his existence was unknown to everyone in the "present" until loki shows him, and when loki is in the "past" there's Kang statues everywhere.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Oh poo poo, I never thought about that, he's only time slipping within TVA HISTORY, so that's why we go from Kang into the Timekeepers, because HWR is the one Kang left who took over the TVA after the other Kang/Kangs fell. The showrunners set that poo poo up well in retrospect.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GateOfD posted:

So I guess the mystery in the first episode is who attempted to prune Loki in the 'future' as Selvie was coming out of the elavator. He never found the timestick so someone else stabbed him from behind.

Probably Loki

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

GateOfD posted:

So I guess the mystery in the first episode is who attempted to prune Loki in the 'future' as Selvie was coming out of the elavator. He never found the timestick so someone else stabbed him from behind.
I'm betting on Renslayer, it's like poetry, it rhymes

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I thought Loki S2 was next weekend I was going to binge all of Cloak and Dagger season 2 this weekend so I could post about it before the thread moved on. I suppose I only have myself to blame, got sucked into binging One Piece.

I did watch the first episode of C&D, though. It keeps the quality from the last series two, with great character beats for both leads and Detective O’Reilly. Bodes well for the rest of the rewatch.

But on-topic: I’ll add my voice to the chorus of praise for OB. And the rest of the episode too, of course.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s amazing how even just the Loki and Möbius bantering was better than anything in SI.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I kinda wish they just pay Hiddleston to anchor the MCU this phase like RDJ did for the beginning. He kills it as Loki.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

yea.

And Thor seems done, would have loved this actually good meaning Loki to meet up with Thor and actually give eachother closure.
I think a flaw this entire phase has is that they dumped some actual huge lore and world progression into the Disney+ shows, but the movies have to pretend the theater audience hasn't watched any Disney+ stuff, so every single movie feels empty with almost no connection between any of them. Secret Invasion ended with a world changing event that should be affecting any movies set after it, but feel its gonna be ignored.

Unlike the first marvel phases which were very cohesive. Like wtf is this mess of a setup we have so far with The Ten Rings, Dr. Strange, Ant-man, Wakanda Forever, Eternals.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The first couple of phases were better about establishing protagonists. Tony and Steve were the focus and Coulson even tied the first phase together. Now it's a bunch of disparate characters with very limited crossover.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought Loki S2 was next weekend I was going to binge all of Cloak and Dagger season 2 this weekend so I could post about it before the thread moved on. I suppose I only have myself to blame, got sucked into binging One Piece.

I did watch the first episode of C&D, though. It keeps the quality from the last series two, with great character beats for both leads and Detective O’Reilly. Bodes well for the rest of the rewatch.

I'll still read your Cloak and Dagger posts, don't feel shy. I couldn't enjoy season 2 as much, as it felt very stretched out. A real sense of 4 episodes of content dragged out to fill 10 episodes for broadcast. There's good stuff in there, but it's just baggy and overworked and the chaff to wheat ratio is really high. I'm interested to see if it improves upon a rewatch (as slow paced stuff often can be), and as a Season One Enjoyer I value your opinion.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Without this thread I legitimately would have no idea Cloak and Dagger was a show. Honestly, I'm still not exactly sure what it is, because I've never once seen an ad or any promotional things for it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Super Deuce posted:

Without this thread I legitimately would have no idea Cloak and Dagger was a show. Honestly, I'm still not exactly sure what it is, because I've never once seen an ad or any promotional things for it.

Think of it as a secret extra Netflix MCU show that you missed. 10 episodes of posh blond girl who can throw daggers, and a black kid who can use a cloak to teleport, being street level heroes. Season 1 is absolutely something everyone who ever enjoyed a Netflix MCU show should watch. It's not as good as DD or JJ season 1, but it's solidly decent stuff that is worth going out of your way for. It's teen oriented, but nothing wrong with that. Goes all in on race relations in the US, sticks the landing, and the soundtrack is like a third main character with wall to wall top tunes.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Where IS cloak and dagger streaming now in the US?

And does anyone else always think of the movie with Jack Flack and the Atari cartridge when they see the name?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hulu

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Ah, alas

:filez: it is

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

live with fruit posted:

The first couple of phases were better about establishing protagonists. Tony and Steve were the focus and Coulson even tied the first phase together. Now it's a bunch of disparate characters with very limited crossover.
I've quite enjoyed Wong being this phase's Coulson, but he's not trying it all together, really. He just kind of shows up in poo poo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Parkingtigers posted:

I'll still read your Cloak and Dagger posts, don't feel shy. I couldn't enjoy season 2 as much, as it felt very stretched out. A real sense of 4 episodes of content dragged out to fill 10 episodes for broadcast. There's good stuff in there, but it's just baggy and overworked and the chaff to wheat ratio is really high. I'm interested to see if it improves upon a rewatch (as slow paced stuff often can be), and as a Season One Enjoyer I value your opinion.
Thanks for the vote of confidence.. I'm glad to do my bit to help raise awareness.

Parkingtigers posted:

Think of it as a secret extra Netflix MCU show that you missed. 10 episodes of posh blond girl who can throw daggers, and a black kid who can use a cloak to teleport, being street level heroes. Season 1 is absolutely something everyone who ever enjoyed a Netflix MCU show should watch. It's not as good as DD or JJ season 1, but it's solidly decent stuff that is worth going out of your way for. It's teen oriented, but nothing wrong with that. Goes all in on race relations in the US, sticks the landing, and the soundtrack is like a third main character with wall to wall top tunes.

I don't really think you can describe Tandy as 'posh' unless you count her in her childhood flashbacks, though.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that, this season got some rad promo art for each episode. Some more spoilery than others.

I especially like the one for S2E1, by Phil Noto:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Invalid Validation posted:

I kinda wish they just pay Hiddleston to anchor the MCU this phase like RDJ did for the beginning. He kills it as Loki.

I was thinking this the other day. He’s really the only choice considering dudes got real weird about Captain Marvel real fast.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

I was thinking this the other day. He’s really the only choice considering dudes got real weird about Captain Marvel real fast.

I hate to say it because of said dudes but they've started showing commercials for The Marvels and it looks aggressively whatever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

maybealabia posted:

And does anyone else always think of the movie with Jack Flack and the Atari cartridge when they see the name?

only us olds

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Invalid Validation posted:

If only.

:allears:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I wish Loki wasn't only 6 episodes, jfc. hundreds of pointless hours in Phase #w/e and only 6 episodes of this

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

live with fruit posted:

I hate to say it because of said dudes but they've started showing commercials for The Marvels and it looks aggressively whatever.

I agree, but there was some pretty whatever Cap and Thor movies and they were pretty bigtime with the right direction.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Barreft posted:

I wish Loki wasn't only 6 episodes, jfc. hundreds of pointless hours in Phase #w/e and only 6 episodes of this
It might be one of the reasons it's so good, so while I do wish there was quite a bit more, I'm just gonna' be thankful for what we have.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

It might be one of the reasons it's so good, so while I do wish there was quite a bit more, I'm just gonna' be thankful for what we have.

Yeah, true sadly

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought I was completely over Marvel stuff but I watched the first new episode of Loki and remembered that actually I'm just over stuff that isn't good, and this was loving good. It looks and feels completely different from everything else they're doing. The art direction and set design are spectacular, the lighting (and the noise!) enhances everything, and the acting is really good and I actually feel empathy for characters!

Edit: Also, just like the first season, I get wonderful quasi-Doctor Who vibes from this show, and the Time Loom straight up looked like the Time Vortex to me at points :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 11, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
THR has a big story about Marvel completely revamping their TV division in response to Secret Invasion and being unsatisfied with early Daredevil footage.

Marvel decided to revamp Daredevil during the strike. They found that it was too much of a slow burn and wasn't lining up with their goal of being a soft reboot of the original show with more action and grit.

They only had 5 episodes out of 18 filmed and Kevin Feige did not like the early footage. They have invested a lot of money and faith in the Daredevil show (it will have 18 episodes instead of the standard 6) and Kevin Feige is personally overseeing it instead of his Deputy who usually Executive Produces the TV shows.

They have fired the original writers and are looking for new writers.

Additionally, they are revamping the D+ production model to make it more like "traditional" TV instead of their original production model. Their original model did not commission pilots and instead filmed the entire $150 million series all at once and then went back for reshoots/editing when they found things they wanted to change.

They also brought in outside talent to produce shows during the pandemic and felt burned by Secret Invasion - which was run by people not versed in "the Marvel method" and led to a lot of friction and fights over edits. They have sworn off outside creative talent and are back to using internal writers and Kevin Feige.

There was so much friction and fighting between the outside talent and internal talent that the delays from the problems almost caused members of the main cast to leave and be unavailable to finish the show due to prior commitments.

As a result, they are completely revamping the TV side of things. Commissioning pilots, hiring showrunners who write the show bible and pitch pilots, no outside creatives or crew, moving away from one-off mini-series and following the Loki model of serialized stories, and hiring full-time TV executives with prior TV experience instead of having Feige and his Deputies oversee the projects part-time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1712108882720403676
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1712111317958472096

quote:

Through it all, the company eschewed the traditional TV-making model. It didn’t commission pilots but instead shot entire $150 million-plus seasons of TV on the fly. It didn’t hire showrunners, but instead depended on film executives to run its series. And as Marvel does for its movies, it relied on postproduction and reshoots to fix what wasn’t working.

Even though they remain, along with Star Wars titles, the most watched shows on Disney+, Marvel series have recently faced a number of creative challenges and cries of diminishing returns from critics and audience metrics, causing a major shift at the studio to move to make TV shows the more traditional way.

“We’re trying to marry the Marvel culture with the traditional television culture,” says Brad Winderbaum, Marvel’s head of streaming, television and animation. “It comes down to, ‘How can we tell stories in television that honor what’s so great about the source material?’”

With Daredevil’s new direction, Marvel hopes to right the ship on a project with sky-high expectations. The show is Marvel’s first to feature a hero who already had a successful series on Netflix, running three seasons. But sources say that Corman and Ord crafted a legal procedural that did not resemble the Netflix version, known for its action and violence. Cox didn’t even show up in costume until the fourth episode. Marvel, after greenlighting the concept, found itself needing to rethink the original intention of the show.

Marvel plans to keep some scenes and episodes, though other serialized elements will be injected, with Corman and Ord becoming executive producers on the two-season series.

Daredevil is far from the first Marvel series to undergo drastic behind-the-scenes changes. Those who work with Marvel on the TV side have complained of a lack of central vision that has, according to sources, begun to afflict the studio’s shows with creative differences and tension. “TV is a writer-driven medium,” says one insider familiar with the Marvel process. “Marvel is a Marvel-driven medium.”

quote:

As its shows ramped up during the pandemic, Marvel stepped outside its usual staffing approach and brought in outside execs after years of internally promoting creatives who had been sufficiently trained in the Marvel method.

This change was felt most severely on Secret Invasion, the Samuel L. Jackson-led thriller that stands as Marvel’s worst-reviewed series. Kyle Bradstreet, a writer and executive producer on USA Network Emmy winner Mr. Robot, had been working on the scripts for Secret Invasion for about a year when he was fired after Marvel decided on a different direction. Enter new writer Brian Tucker, who penned the crime thriller Broken City. Thomas Bezucha, who helmed the thriller Let Him Go, and Ali Selim, who worked on Hulu’s 9/11 drama The Looming Tower, were on board as directors and to help crack the story.

So far, so normal, at least by Marvel’s creative development standards. Details are murky, but what happened next, in the summer of 2022, debilitated the production as factions became entrenched and leaders vied for supremacy during Secret Invasion’s preproduction in London. “It was weeks of people not getting along, and it erupted,” says an insider. Marvel declined to directly comment on the matter.

The company dispatched Jonathan Schwartz, a senior executive and member of Marvel’s creative steering committee known as The Parliament, to get Secret Invasion back on track when it was falling behind schedule and on the verge of losing some actors because of other commitments.

By early September, a good portion of the Invasion team had been replaced, with new line producers, unit production managers and assistant directors. And Bezucha, who was supposed to direct three episodes, left the show because of new scheduling conflicts. The Marvel executive overseeing the show, Chris Gary, was reassigned and, according to sources, is expected to depart Marvel when his contract is up at the end of the year.

quote:

As it moves forward, Marvel is making concrete changes in how it makes TV. It now has plans to hire showrunners. Gao’s postproduction work on She-Hulk helped Marvel see that it would be helpful for its shows to have a creative throughline from start to finish.

“It’s a term we’ve not only grown comfortable with but also learned to embrace,” says Winderbaum of showrunners and Marvel TV’s intention to hire them.

The studio also plans on bringing full-time TV execs on board, rather than borrowing its film executives.

“We need executives that are dedicated to this medium, that are going to focus on streaming, focus on television,” says Winderbaum, “because they are two different forms.”

It also is revamping its development process. Showrunners will write pilots and show bibles. The days of Marvel shooting an entire series, from She-Hulk to Secret Invasion, then looking at what’s working and what’s not, are done.

And just as Loki, which returned Oct. 5, marked Marvel’s first season two of a series (out of nine TV shows to date), the studio plans on leaning into the idea of multiseason serialized TV, stepping away from the limited-series format that has defined it. Marvel wants to create shows that run several seasons, where characters can take time to develop relationships with the audience rather than feeling as if they are there as a setup for a big crossover event.

Some of its next shows, in fact, promise to be more personal stories. Echo, which premieres in January, is a grounded crime story with few visual effects, revolving around deaf Native American antihero Maya Lopez (Alaqua Cox). Wonder Man, a show that was paused because of the writers and actors strikes, is meant to be a behind-the-scenes look at Hollywood and a character study of Simon Williams (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II), a superhero who has a side gig as an actor and stuntperson.

Winderbaum says he wants people to watch the shows because they love the characters. It should work, he says, “beyond the fact that it ties into [other projects] or if they are going to be in a movie or if it is setting up an Avengers film.”

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 11, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Reads like a much needed self-reflection on how broken things were. They appear to be making the correct pivot. Not much written on Echo, and I wonder if it's rumored problems will lean more on the Secret Invasion "this is a directionless mess" side. With it being a soft-prequel to the Daredevil series, I wonder if it will have more of Daredevil's supposed early problems or SI's jumbled vision. Of course, it should be much more grounded than SI and hopefully not have a big of a wasted budget. Maybe Echo will end up surprising people by being a smaller more focused series. Maybe not "crazy MCU movie level" like Wandavision, Loki. etc., but something akin to Cloak and Dagger.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
the article doesn't seem to say that Marvel is moving away from hiring outside talent at all. to the contrary, I read it as saying that they intend to hire more people with TV experience and rely less on Marvel Studios' film execs to oversee their Disney+ production and development

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
That all sounds really good