Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

socialsecurity posted:

I weirdly hope this show gets it's budget cut next season, give me a bottle episode of Rand alone in a room talking to Lews in his head with a B plot of watching Mat play a single poker game.

To be truly book accurate we would need at least one full episode that's just elayne taking a bath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm looking forward to Gray Man assassinations because that'll be so cheap to film that it'll inevitably happen multiple times and they'll probably be able to make it the creepiest thing in the world.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

One of my top five wants from a WoT TV show since I was in Elementary School is that moment when Nyn and Mogh both walk into that room in the museum, instantly try to sever each other, are using all their strength in epic psychic combat as sweat pours down their brows... and then like, the camera cuts to a guy pushing a broom on the other side of a doorway who doesn't even notice them because without channeling its just two women standing stock still staring at each other in a silent room.

yeah, that's a cool scene

book moggy was an entertaining character who sneered when winning and sniveled when losing, and who tried to avoid open conflict. the show moggy seems to be a very different character. thye probably combined some other book forsakens into her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You: Let me break out my spreadsheet of individual channeller strengths to explain why this scene is empirically a detriment on the quality of the narrative.
Me, an intellectual: Haha oh Moggy, you so crazy

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

ChubbyChecker posted:

book moggy was an entertaining character who sneered when winning and sniveled when losing, and who tried to avoid open conflict. the show moggy seems to be a very different character. thye probably combined some other book forsakens into her.

You saw her for less than a minute. You can’t make any assumptions based on what little we’ve seen of her.

I’m also confused about your other complaints. Having Rand fight Turak would have made no sense when Rand has barely trained with the sword. They weren’t able to get that in this season but they still needed the confrontation. They handled it in the best way possible given where the character is in the show. Igtar’s scene was awesome in the book but again, wouldn’t work here. There are to many other characters we had to focus on and weren’t able to spend anytime with him. His revelation wouldn’t have hit because there wasn’t as much of a connection to the character as in the book. I’m glad they didn’t put it in just to put it in.

I feel the writers have been really good about this adaptation and not just making it “cool scene from the book to cool scene from the book”. There is a whole, fleshed out story they need to tell and they’ve carefully moved things around and added what makes sense. Rafe seems to have a good grasp on the source material and seems to be being very careful and deliberate.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ChubbyChecker posted:

this is her sneering when winning

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Barreft posted:

I don't think there's any way they can make actual snake and fox people for it :/ Loial alone is passable, but I think it's mostly the actor's charm allowing the weird everything else to be ignored.

They explicitly and deliberately lowered the level of work they put into Loial because expensive CGI and/or complex prosthetics would limit the amount of time they could have him on screen. Single scenes with the *finn would be a different story altogether.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

ChubbyChecker posted:

Different in what way? I have to say I'm struggling to see how you're justifying your assertion based on what we actually saw, but am interested nonetheless.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

It's a factual error highlighting your paltry understanding of anything that happens in the show and or the books.

Can we not do this? I'm still trying why any sort of criticism of the show engenders such a virulent and personal attack from some people here. This thread has always been a fun place to broadcast your take on WoT, and poking holes in it if that's what you take from it.

It's like we haven't spent years talking about how poo poo the slog was.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Honestly don't get not liking the Turak scene. It's one of the best/coolest in the entire series, in my opinion, and made sense in context of his level of swordsmanship in the show.

Shageletic posted:

Can we not do this? I'm still trying why any sort of criticism of the show engenders such a virulent and personal attack from some people here. This thread has always been a fun place to broadcast your take on WoT, and poking holes in it if that's what you take from it.

Caine has clearly tied so much of themselves to the show that they're incapable of admitting any fault and respond badly to seeing the slightest criticism.

Same person said Lan is constantly shown as the pinnacle of non-magic skill when that had happened maybe once when the comment was made, and only twice now.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 8, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Shageletic posted:

reading a bunch of nitpicking is actually unbelievably tiresome, op, especially when it’s “subtle, this show is not :smugbird:” or “actor bad” level posts that are just pure taste and can’t even be engaged with

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure there is a sub Reddit you could go to that will engage with your infinite love for this by the numbers TV show. This fuckin thing gets 100 million dollars and it all goes to the costumes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I will never go to reddit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m sure there is a sub Reddit you could go to that will engage with your infinite love for this by the numbers TV show. This fuckin thing gets 100 million dollars and it all goes to the costumes.

And Lanfear's wardrobe is worth every penny :hai:

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Eh, I'm enjoying it, and that's ok! And it's ok if you're not enjoying it! I think there is a third space where we can all be polite and kind and thoughtful when disagreeing about a television adaptation of a doorstop fantasy fiction series on God's Green Internet

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

drat straight

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

CuriousSymptoms posted:

Eh, I'm enjoying it, and that's ok! And it's ok if you're not enjoying it! I think there is a third space where we can all be polite and kind and thoughtful when disagreeing about a television adaptation of a doorstop fantasy fiction series on God's Green Internet

Sure, but there’s a few people who have mental breakdowns and takes things said on a dead forum extremely personal when anyone says something negative towards the show. Like what do they want for a thread? A parady FYAD thread that does nothing but says positive things? Not everyone is going to gush over it and if you want it there’s other places you can get that affirmation from.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Sure, but there’s a few people who have mental breakdowns and takes things said on a dead forum extremely personal when anyone says something negative towards the show. Like what do they want for a thread? A parady FYAD thread that does nothing but says positive things? Not everyone is going to gush over it and if you want it there’s other places you can get that affirmation from.

I agree, but I think there are ways of disagreeing which are not quite as belligerent as some folks are being, and to be honest I would count this post (and your previous posts) as - ironically - examples of maybe taking it a little far.

On a more positive note, what was about this episode in particular that you felt was a bit rough? Legit interested in other perspectives.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

This fuckin thing gets 100 million dollars and it all goes to the costumes.

It's what Jordan would have wanted

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Soonmot posted:

I will never go to reddit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So was Moiraine able to nuke the Seanchan ships because she considers them darkfriends? She shouldn’t have actually know that they were in league with Ismael or that he was on top of the tower with Rand. But I suppose knowing that they were shielding the Dragon is enough to satisfy the oath? She does say she’d kill anyone to save him so I guess that’s the implication.

Also pretty interesting that she’s sworn on the oath rod to obey Siuan since that’s supposed to be one of the bad things Elaida does. Have other Aes Sedai similarly pledged to the Amyrlin or es that just between the two of them as part of their personal quest to find the Dragon?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

CuriousSymptoms posted:

On a more positive note, what was about this episode in particular that you felt was a bit rough? Legit interested in other perspectives.

It’s mostly weird decisions to make moments rather than good story if that makes sense. Was throwing Lan and Moraine onto a cool looking beach to give them something to do a good decision? Looks cool but they could have spent 2 minutes showing Loial stealing the horn. Was Ishy standing there in one spot throwing fireballs at a shield instead of flying in the sky a good decision? Probably as a budget concern. But then they spend a bunch of money on a lovely looking CGI dragon instead of raising a banner because they wanted to give book readers some semblance to the sky scene. Its a fine tv show, I don’t think it’s anything special, but honestly with their budget it SHOULD be something special.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You can be critical and not aggressive about it but also people can just skip past posts that they don't agree with, there's no need to refute any and all criticisms. The show is nothing how I picture it in my head and they have omitted or altered moments I find fundamental to the characters but also its fun to go through the story again and see what is different and what parts they did manage to do great.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

It’s mostly weird decisions to make moments rather than good story if that makes sense. Was throwing Lan and Moraine onto a cool looking beach to give them something to do a good decision? Looks cool but they could have spent 2 minutes showing Loial stealing the horn.

Now this I do agree with, although Moiraine channeling was cool. I also felt like throwing a bunch of Seanchan onto the beach for Lan to fight was a bit of an obvious choice which brought me out of my enjoyment for a moment. I also think there should have been more obvious signs of a battle at the top of the tower - there could have been fireballs everywhere, highly visible from all around, and Egwene having to shield a sphere rather than just in front of her, which I don't think would have cost much more in terms of CGI budget.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

The show has many positives but it has noticeable issues with the related points of 1) getting characters where they need to be when they need to be there, to the point of just teleporting mat to falme and shrugging at the audience about it (to say nothing of conveying geography, something this show doesn't even attempt, and usually I'd say that's a reasonable fantasy choice but GoT actually conveyed enough about geography for people to get cinemasins level mad about it by the end and I thought that was neat), and 2) giving characters business to do when the plot doesn't need them yet (for a macro example, moiraine and lan's arc this season; in the micro, nynaeve and elayne in the finale, or just chucking a bunch of seanchan at moiraine and lan for a meaningless action scene). loial just popping up like "hey great news I got freed and lanfear gave me the horn!" is another good example of the show's kinda slapdash approach to plotting.

I know people joke about WOT being an American anime, but the truth is that it takes some degree of thoughtful planning to make sure everyone has something to do while Goku's running Snake Way back to the world of the living, and it's where the show's writing is often weakest.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 8, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Joementum posted:

So was Moiraine able to nuke the Seanchan ships because she considers them darkfriends? She shouldn’t have actually know that they were in league with Ismael or that he was on top of the tower with Rand. But I suppose knowing that they were shielding the Dragon is enough to satisfy the oath? She does say she’d kill anyone to save him so I guess that’s the implication.

Also pretty interesting that she’s sworn on the oath rod to obey Siuan since that’s supposed to be one of the bad things Elaida does. Have other Aes Sedai similarly pledged to the Amyrlin or es that just between the two of them as part of their personal quest to find the Dragon?

That one's really easy for her to justify. For one, the oath against using the power as a weapon unless your/your sister's/your warder's life is threatened doesn't have any stipulations about targets, so a bunch of soldiers running at you with swords is plenty to let her say ok time to burn some ships. But further than that, the non "I will obey you" oaths are all about belief, if she believes those seanchan on the boat are attacking the dragon, and that without the dragon everyone dies, well, that's that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gwaihir posted:

That one's really easy for her to justify. For one, the oath against using the power as a weapon unless your/your sister's/your warder's life is threatened doesn't have any stipulations about targets, so a bunch of soldiers running at you with swords is plenty to let her say ok time to burn some ships. But further than that, the non "I will obey you" oaths are all about belief, if she believes those seanchan on the boat are attacking the dragon, and that without the dragon everyone dies, well, that's that.

Yeah I think the latter justification is the better established one from Moiraine’s perspective (especially since they had her say as much!) and in keeping with her character. The soldiers on the beach were just to give Lan something to do and he looked really cool doing it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I've had some time to think about it and personally I don't feel much about this show at all. I'll grant it's massively improved from S1 which I actively disliked. But I'm relistening to the 3rd book now and haven't tied any of the show actors to my mental representations of the book characters. I feel that says something about how I view the show. I feel it's more a modern generic fantasy show to me that just happens to share the name and some plot points.

I noticed multiple times on reading both WoT threads that most of the stuff people said was cool and awesome a lot of the time it really do anything for me. But it's hard to put my finger on exactly why, I guess a lot of the cool stuff either looked corny to me, or felt unearned because it's only 8ep seasons and the rewrites IMO mostly lessens the payoffs because we had hardly any time to spend on them. Just something about the sum of the whole that doesn't make it feel like Wheel of Time to me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You can be critical and not aggressive about it but also people can just skip past posts that they don't agree with, there's no need to refute any and all criticisms. The show is nothing how I picture it in my head and they have omitted or altered moments I find fundamental to the characters but also its fun to go through the story again and see what is different and what parts they did manage to do great.

This is how I feel. I love the books, but in my mind the show is set 7 ages later. A full turn of the wheel has passed since my good friends saved the world. And now we are back. And it's different. Like the books said it would be. That's my take that let me fully enjoy the show. Try viewing it with that lens in mind maybe? Directed to everyone not necessarily one year later

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Does it bother anyone else that the subtitles for Maiden handtalk use the same font as the rest of the subtitles in the show? There may be accessibility reasons to do it this way (soft-coded as part of the subtitle file rather than hard-coded to display on the screen), but it bugs me that verbal and non-verbal communication is presented the same way on the show. I suppose that while I’m shaking my fist at clouds, I also wish that the Old Tongue we hear was given a different font as well.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Does it bother anyone else that the subtitles for Maiden handtalk use the same font as the rest of the subtitles in the show? There may be accessibility reasons to do it this way (soft-coded as part of the subtitle file rather than hard-coded to display on the screen), but it bugs me that verbal and non-verbal communication is presented the same way on the show. I suppose that while I’m shaking my fist at clouds, I also wish that the Old Tongue we hear was given a different font as well.

Finger on monkey's paw curls as all Old Tongue subtitles are converted to Papyrus

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Episode 1 feels like an eternity ago and I'm not up for a rewatch just yet, but did they address the fact that Loial was stabbed with the Shadar Logoth dagger in the Season 1 finale? Did that just get handwaved away?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Episode 1 feels like an eternity ago and I'm not up for a rewatch just yet, but did they address the fact that Loial was stabbed with the Shadar Logoth dagger in the Season 1 finale? Did that just get handwaved away?
Handwaved away.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

If you think that is a virulent and personal attack you have a very sheltered internet life. This was a statement of fact.

Also it isn't any sort of criticism. I have very clearly laid criticisms.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

One of my top five wants from a WoT TV show since I was in Elementary School is that moment when Nyn and Mogh both walk into that room in the museum, instantly try to sever each other, are using all their strength in epic psychic combat as sweat pours down their brows... and then like, the camera cuts to a guy pushing a broom on the other side of a doorway who doesn't even notice them because without channeling its just two women standing stock still staring at each other in a silent room.

And then one of the women hurls the nearest heavy object into the face of the other woman. It makes a loud thud, followed by a bunch more noise as the object, and the woman, falls to the floor. The janitor quietly but swiftly backs away through the nearest door.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

edit Do you think she just sets traps in any room she regularly enters?

We saw her sleep there, the seals are in there and there are a lot of female channelers around. The truth is no one did any traps, Lanfear was suddenly just poo poo at channeling and lost a straight up fight because it was necessary for Moggy to get next season on hype.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I enjoyed the Moiraine and Lan bits this season. Especially the parts with her sister. She and Lan are barely in book 2 but you can’t bench them for most of a season on the show. It makes sense to nerf her powers so she can be in the show but not a fix all. It gave us time to flesh her out as a character as well. Now she’s back at full strength and can take up the parts she plays in the following books.

One thing I most definitely missed while watching…how was the bond broken between her and Lan? She obviously wasn’t stilled and shielding someone doesn’t break the bond. I thought removing the shield would bring the bond back? Or that she was deliberately masking the bond like Alanna and her one warder. I know in the books they don’t know how to remove a bond once it’s been done until the end of the series.

The “mental break downs” aren’t because people dislike the show or have criticisms about it. It’s the people who have turned into nitpicking pedantic weirdos about it not being a 1:1 adaptation and seem to barely even pay attention to what’s happening on screen. There is disagreement and then there are just plain bad takes. I loved season 1 and 2. It doesn’t bother me if you didn’t as long as the complaints are actually something that happened in the show or are about more than just “they changed something”.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Goofballs posted:

We saw her sleep there, the seals are in there and there are a lot of female channelers around. The truth is no one did any traps, Lanfear was suddenly just poo poo at channeling and lost a straight up fight because it was necessary for Moggy to get next season on hype.

That was Ishy’s room. He had all the seals, not Lanfear.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

KilGrey posted:

One thing I most definitely missed while watching…how was the bond broken between her and Lan? She obviously wasn’t stilled and shielding someone doesn’t break the bond. I thought removing the shield would bring the bond back? Or that she was deliberately masking the bond like Alanna and her one warder. I know in the books they don’t know how to remove a bond once it’s been done until the end of the series.
As we saw in this episode, unmasking the bond (and probably masking as well) require channeling. Moiraine masked the bond at the end of season 1 so that she could sneak out with Rand without Lan interfering. She was then shielded and therefore couldn't unmask the bond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KilGrey posted:

yeah it was like "she was masking the bond, got shielded, and couldn't undo it" or something along those lines. then when she got un-shielded, she kept it that way because she'd basically broken up with lan lol

the lesson here is never break up with Lan

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 8, 2023