Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That would mean they planned and executed this in like 6 weeks.

Presumably there were earlier signs of that rapprochement that would have been apparent to people plugged into the relevant diplomatic and intelligence channels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Microplastics posted:

You said truculent twice in that post. I let it go the first time but when you said it a second time you forced me to look it up. So now I know a new word.

What Ian m banks book are you on atm?

It’s a solid word, fun to say as well.

Matter, just finished Surface Detail and really enjoyed it. Only got this and Hydrogen Sonata to go ‘til I’m done with Culture :(

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the only one I could never finish for reasons I forget is Look to Windward

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
LtW and Matter were the least page-turny for me, but I loved them all.

I'm now just going through them again slowly as audiobooks while I fall asleep. Hydrogen Sonata was great, now I'm in Use of Weapons and the disjointed chapter structure combines with my sleepiness in a way which makes it really kaleidoscopic

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Recently, I read and enjoyed Raw Spirit. It's not his M stuff but it is pretty good.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Beefeater1980 posted:

According to Al-Jazeera the specific casus belli was allowing Jewish tourists into the Al-Aqsa mosque over the holidays, whereas you would think it would be the indignities and cruelty of the occupation.

I’m not sure what the decision making process is that leads to someone thinking “let’s infiltrate our militarily powerful occupier, murder a couple of hundred people and take hostages, surely this will end well.” There must be some kind of best case outcome Hamas leadership has in mind but I can’t fathom it.

Trying to pin something that must have been planned and prepared for months if not longer and occurs on the 50th anniversary of the Yom Kippur War on any recent events sounds laughable tbh.

What Hamas leadership's motivation was for staging an operation of this scale may remain a mystery, it's not easy for a secular western humanist to get inside the head of a religious nationalist extremist and see what they see. It's just as difficult as it is for outsiders to rationalise why Tory leaders were so eager to walk repeatedly into rakes with Brexit when every rational analysis told them that they would only get a rake handle in their face.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its because they were paid by the rake makers op

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i've only read a couple of Cultures but i like it when the robots say "gently caress"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

its because they were paid by the rake makers op

:hmmyes:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jakabite posted:

Only got this and Hydrogen Sonata to go ‘til I’m done with Culture :(

Have you read Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Oo no, tickle a similar itch?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jakabite posted:

Oo no, tickle a similar itch?

Yeah it's like space opera written by an Astronomy PhD so it's got a similar thing going where you get that grand space opera narrative but with more of a focus on cool science stuff instead of laser sword duels.

Little more of a cosmic horror vibe though, also there's no FTL, so you get relativistic space travel shenanigans.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I can defo jam with that, thanks!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1710992586050039910

My twitter troll friend is a greater threat to democracy than these cunts :allears:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Space Anarchists at war with Space Hivemind Communists while the Space Libertarians cruise around replacing their torsos with accordions.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If you like space opera, I recommend Pandoras Star and Judas Unchained (a 2-parter) by Peter F Hamilton.
Ian Banks, my favourite is the Algebraist, and that's not a culture one. Its a bit heavy at the start too, takes a good 1/3rd before it really kicks off, but the least half is worth the buildup imo.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
New threat to democracy just dropped. Not really different than fake news except for *~*AI*~*. Seems like it would be less effective against someone who has a better-defined public persona and set of principles.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OzyMandrill posted:

If you like space opera, I recommend Pandoras Star and Judas Unchained (a 2-parter) by Peter F Hamilton.
Ian Banks, my favourite is the Algebraist, and that's not a culture one. Its a bit heavy at the start too, takes a good 1/3rd before it really kicks off, but the least half is worth the buildup imo.

The problem with Hamilton and Reynolds is that they can get a bit liberal/libertarian/fashy, compared to Banks.

There are other writers even worse than that obviously.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

domhal posted:

New threat to democracy just dropped. Not really different than fake news except for *~*AI*~*. Seems like it would be less effective against someone who has a better-defined public persona and set of principles.

the strategy is to let voters make up their own policies that you believe without you having to say them

but not like that

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1710992586050039910

My twitter troll friend is a greater threat to democracy than these cunts :allears:

Galloway has fallen for it lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

domhal posted:

The difference between this and things like the ability to lie, client media, voter suppression etc, is that this is something that is not exclusively in the control of the people already in power.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

Space Anarchists at war with Space Hivemind Communists while the Space Libertarians cruise around replacing their torsos with accordions.

Yeah, the radically different real world conditions, locations, and technological paths of those human factions radically changed all their politics, it's quite materialist, not utopian but not quite dystopian either, it simply is what it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The difference between this and things like the ability to lie, client media, voter suppression etc, is that this is something that is not exclusively in the control of the people already in power.
Also because Sunak has fallen for the Silicon Valley doomer tech cult and their "preventing H P Lovecraft's Old Ones John Milton's Vengeful God Eliezer Yudkowsky's Omnipotent Super AI is more important than worldly concerns like climate change or mosquito nets."

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Alastair Reynolds is one of the few writers that makes space feel big to me and actually examines those implications for humanity. Like when it takes decades to communicate with or travel to the nearest human settled planet, there's no real overarching civilisation any more, and humans kinda start becoming separate, perhaps incompatible species.

Just differing gravity levels can have wild effects.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OzyMandrill posted:

Yeah the duology is amazing, I absolutely loved those books. They had such a truly epic feel to them. Reminds me, I need to read his Void trilogy, set a few thousand years in the future m

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Did cyberstarmer commit to a policy?

Ken MacLeod is another scottish writer that does sci-fi. The Star Fraction has a bizarro future UK.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah it's like space opera written by an Astronomy PhD so it's got a similar thing going where you get that grand space opera narrative but with more of a focus on cool science stuff instead of laser sword duels.

Little more of a cosmic horror vibe though, also there's no FTL, so you get relativistic space travel shenanigans.

You call it a space opera and yet I hear no singing.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Did you know westerns used to be called Horse Opera?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Galloway has fallen for it lol
What is it? I presume it's in the comments but nobody has twitter any more and you need to be signed in to see basically anything.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Loonytoad Quack posted:

DM me your details and I'll ship you a nice bottle of something, you keep me plenty entertained with all your fash baiting in this thread, it's the least I can do.

THE POISON HAS LANDED!!!!

Thank you so much!!! I never expected anything as nice as this, and it's a malt I know well from my previous life. I don't think I've actually sampled this for ~18 years!! Blown away. Thank you.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goon love is either excessive or deadly, there is no in-between.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

You call it a space opera and yet I hear no singing.

In space no one can hear you sing

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cringe

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Did you know westerns used to be called Horse Opera?

https://twitter.com/SoloFlow786/status/1669186970629844993

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

Thank you so much!!! I never expected anything as nice as this, and it's a malt I know well from my previous life. I don't think I've actually sampled this for ~18 years!! Blown away. Thank you.

False advertising there, 'made by the sea'.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The weird effect on the flag makes it look like it has 2 lightning bolts in it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I just got an email about that. I haven't paid you in two years you traitorous shits and double gently caress you for

'Your new membership card proudly features Clause IV, Part IV of our constitution:

“Through the strength of our common endeavour, we achieve more than we achieve alone.”'

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

fuctifino posted:

You're welcome, don't drink it all at once. Or do, whatever, life is pain.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

reminder that the notorious UK goon patio killer was never found

enjoy your bottle of novichok spirits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

OzyMandrill posted:

I reread The Algebraist recently! Love the Dwellers. A whole civilisation built on trolling each other and other species.

Revelation Space I remember mainly for the tension building throughout most of the book, proper page-turner.