Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
poor life choices

quote:

The young NI Catholic attending his first Conservative conference

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-67004699

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I got the Lidl 20 quid whisky lads, it's good.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Alastair Reynolds is one of the few writers that makes space feel big to me and actually examines those implications for humanity. Like when it takes decades to communicate with or travel to the nearest human settled planet, there's no real overarching civilisation any more, and humans kinda start becoming separate, perhaps incompatible species.

Just differing gravity levels can have wild effects.

House of Suns is another interesting Reynolds work despite being softer than Revelation Space. The timescale goes literally off the charts.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

keep punching joe posted:

I got the Lidl 20 quid whisky lads, it's good.

The islay is excellent and its so cheap it takes a lot of willpower to not just keep buying more

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Skarsnik posted:

The islay is excellent and its so cheap it takes a lot of willpower to not just keep buying more

That's the one I got.

Is it a complex sensory experience? No.

Does it taste like a decent peated malt? Yes.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

House of Suns is another interesting Reynolds work despite being softer than Revelation Space. The timescale goes literally off the charts.

Just bought for Kindle, thanks! I'll start on it once I've finished Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. I love McCarthy, his writing is so beautiful and evocative. But drat this book is hard-going. Unrelentingly grim and violent. Not good bedtime or mealtime reading!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Good work whisky goons. Its a warm night so we're on the lambrini.

We got the morphy toastie maker but were scared about microwave ball lightning death if it wasn't sealed poo poo. Youtube blokes who review toastie makers assure us its meant to be barely held together and bursting with cheese and onion, so tomorrow's looking good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

"As for the leadership of the party Conor supports, he reveals he backed Liz Truss in last year's race."

Ah, insanity.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Watching this explode in realtime has been amazing :)

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1711042894449057985

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Too northern to be a "West Brit", going with "entitled, self centered gogshite" instead. :commissar:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's real

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
NO KEITH! You might end up having an opinion or sound like you believe in something! :ohdear:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, gives you a handy line to snip along. And it even looks like someone's already done it!

Oct 4, 2005

OzyMandrill posted:

If you like space opera, I recommend Pandoras Star and Judas Unchained (a 2-parter) by Peter F Hamilton.
Ian Banks, my favourite is the Algebraist, and that's not a culture one. Its a bit heavy at the start too, takes a good 1/3rd before it really kicks off, but the least half is worth the buildup imo.

I'm on my fourth attempt to read the Algebraist. Jesus tap dancing christ that book needed an editor. Anything involving the dwellers is a laugh though.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

forkboy84 posted:

You call it a space opera and yet I hear no singing.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/v/jack-vance/space-opera.htm

Vance at his silliest, it's no Planet of Adventure or Demon Princes series, but still a fun read.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1711038056621330668

Hahahahaha :allears:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

Oh yeah that's one of my favourite books of all time. I never know how to explain it to people. Like I feel a few sentence review would put people off, but it is amazing in the execution.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is a weird appointment, out of every other available and qualified candidate in the country

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1710811514804854886

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 8, 2023

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

bit of casual 'in the loop' nepotism, a way to get a dig in at johnson, someone with a useful rolodex, or maybe she was the best woman for the job. literally no idea.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/chai_ste/status/1711078505264423165

https://twitter.com/tomtugendhat/status/1711027381715022327

What a time to be alive :toot:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 8, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Most interesting starmer's been since he ran over that guy. Maybe when he had a lockdown beer

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

We have truly entered the post-truth era. Nothing will ever be trusted.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He was also Kal Ross, a fake audio expert KAL IS REAL!!!!

https://twitter.com/leo_hutz/status/1711065591644143630

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 8, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s provided an excellent afternoon trolling some extremely dumb centrists

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Would be hilarious if voting intention swung off a deepfake
I mean this country is predicated on fakes and lies so why not

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Turns out all the U-turns the last year are deep fakes too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I stand corrected. Kal Ross is actually a real and respected expert in his field. LMAO

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're talking Lidl I just polished (:v:) off a packet of their pork kabanossi and it's very nice.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

keir is literally a man who will give grumpy curt one word answers to grieving families hurt by the police, it’s absolutely in him to be a horrible poo poo to his underlings

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah as OwlFancier said this is just distributing more widely the symptoms of problems of trust inherent to capitalism and hierarchical politics.

You could use an AI deepfake voice synthesis algorithm to make Starmer say that he shat in a food bank donation box, but if you were a wealthy donor you could get him to actually say that for 50 grand and a litre of Jameson's.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I feel like the response of a bunch of politico and media people just repeating "it's fake don't listen to it" is itself an issue because I don't think they have any way to know better than I do whether it's real or fake and so really they're just relying on their position to establish what truth is over and above what people can see and hear in front of them, and the fact that they're capable of doing that means that they're capable of doing that and lying about it as well.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've been laughing hard at the many people who automatically distrust the multi-party line that it's a fake.

Pete Williams however has more pressing matters at hand:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah as OwlFancier said this is just distributing more widely the symptoms of problems of trust inherent to capitalism and hierarchical politics.

You could use an AI deepfake voice synthesis algorithm to make Starmer say that he shat in a food bank donation box, but if you were a wealthy donor you could get him to actually say that for 50 grand and a litre of Jameson's.

That means deepfakes are democratic.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Well I guess not everyone has access to a bunch of servers and code and poo poo. But still.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Democratic in the same way the printing press was, yes. Anyone who could afford a trouser press and a bunch of lead letters could knock out whatever they pleased, which led to an explosion of public knowledge and literacy, but also a bunch of shitheads with hot ideas about what the Jews were up to getting a wide audience.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If you want to see what someone with very little resources can do producing deep fakes, check out this video. He's a young lad who made some incredible deepfakes of popular chemist youtuber Nile Red. A lot of those actual parodies have since been deleted, as they were so realistic, but the video I linked to is a detailed explanation of how he did it all

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1711079215037055206?s=20

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

fuctifino posted:

I've been laughing hard at the many people who automatically distrust the multi-party line that it's a fake.

That concorde would crash and burn on take off guaranteed - they only just removed the magazines used for ballast a couple of years ago.

Therefore I agree the Royals should be taken for a flight immediately.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

I'm sure the best way to get the Royal family to safety in an emergency is to fly them in a 47-year old aircraft that hasn't flown for 23 years...rather than one of the modern, serviced, maintained and regularly operated transports that the RAF have specifically for the purpose.

That Concorde that's kept on the BA maintenance depot at Heathrow also doesn't have an interior (it was in the middle of a refit when the Paris crash happened), has never been modified with the post-crash safety features and has been largely stripped of its instrumentation for other museum Concordes. And while it is regularly cleaned and painted its airframe is riddled with corrosion and water damage. Oh, and it has no engines.

Maybe Pete Williams is a radical revolutionary anti-monarchist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Thoughts & prayers? :rolleye:

Nobody is "winning" this conflict.