Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Willo567 posted:

Are we absolutely certain that Israel won't use nukes? I'm loving terrified that they will considering these statements

Gaza is only 40km by 9km.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Willo567 posted:

The U.S. would likely tell Israel not to use tactical nukes if they were stupid enough to consider it, correct?

They will nuke you

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

One man's "terrorist" is another man's freedom fighter.

No, I'm pretty sure when you shoot into crowds of unarmed civilians you're a terrorist. But you do you I suppose

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
there will be no nukes, fucks sake

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Can't discount the possibilities of micronukes in the water

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 5, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

zer0spunk posted:

No, I'm pretty sure when you shoot into crowds of unarmed civilians you're a terrorist. But you do you I suppose

I mean yeah obviously, I don't think anyone is disputing that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 9, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ronya posted:

drifting off topic, but the Chinese camps are really camps, with rigid control over the timing and occurrence of events in each individual's day and individual communication with outsiders. 1.3 million is "enough"; randomly disappearing family members suffices to hold the other 40 million in sufficient obedience.

and certainly not give the latitude to form governments which can organize militias and supply weapons, or raise schools with their own choice in imams and ideology

the shift in thinking in Xinjiang amongst Chinese policymakers over whether compromise and easing of antireligious restrictions is "necessary" for peace is underrated, I think. China has proven that one can viably detain truly staggering numbers of people that they may recite Correct Thought every day, and that this is effective at maintaining the morale and confidence of settler populations at scale. It's successfully reversed Han emigration from Xinjiang. And other Muslim countries do not object; none bear 1990s-vintage post-Soviet thinking that China will find the nascent secessionism impossible to manage.

this is really what the world safe for authoritarianism looks like, being that the competing ideology for many authoritarian states is not a Westernized liberalism but some domestic radicalism

Are you really making a semantic argument about how to define "camp"? Palestinians live under Israeli sovereignty with generally no freedom of movement or political participation in Israel. That the buildings are more permanent or there's some level of internal organization doesn't address those fundamental things that make it internment. Even Nazi camps devolved some level of organization to inmates! This basic denial of human rights for a third of Israel's population is the context for everything else in that conflict and Israel shows approximately zero political will in changing this direction.

The rest you can do a find replace for China/Israel. Israel's increasingly authoritarian government and political system, repression of occupied populations, and the lack of international response has accelerated settlement activities there.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zer0spunk posted:

No, I'm pretty sure when you shoot into crowds of unarmed civilians you're a terrorist.

Pretty sure Israeli forces do that already.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Pretty sure Israeli forces do that already.

Constantly.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
The Israeli minister of national security loving loves Baruch Goldstein.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Willo567 posted:

Are we absolutely certain that Israel won't use nukes? I'm loving terrified that they will considering these statements

Nuking Gaza would make them global pariahs so yeah probably not

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
So the takeaway to my "I don't think any unarmed civilians should get murdered" is "well if some happens then why not more"

ok cool, normal and not totally devoid of any human empathy, gotcha. my bad for engaging

e: it only now occurs to me that arguing on a fundamental thing like, murder is bad is pointless. i'm not going to be convinced that violence is justifiable just like someone who thinks it is won't either

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 8, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think they should either. My point is the rapidity with which the corporate press jumped on the word "terrorist" to describe anything Hamas related (but not to everything Israel does to oppress the Palestinians) is telling - but not surprising. When you're systematically oppressed and you're going up against a well armed and well funded military like Israel, sometimes the only option you have is what the intelligentsia calls "terrorism".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Turns out that if you keep murdering people, they will place you in a concentrated area and limit your ability to move freely. Pretending that that different states of Palestinians of Gaza, the Western Bank and Israel happened in a vacuum is a complete misrepresentation of historic fact.

Yeah, there's a long history of colonialist and imperialist occupations dealing with troublesome insurgencies by herding the entire native population into confined areas that the occupier can easily seal off and confine with military force. The British and Spanish used these tactics over a century ago, concentrating the occupied population into confined camps in order to deprive insurgents of their ability to operate freely. That way, the insurgencies were forced into the open where they could be annihilated by the colonists' overwhelming conventional military superiority, while horrible conditions in the camp ground down the internees' will to resist. Once all organized resistance had been completely crushed, the locals could be released and allowed back to work for the occupiers' benefit.

There's a few important differences between Gaza and the historical concentration camps, but that doesn't mean they're particularly more moral; it just means Israeli authorities have adapted and improved the old tactic to suit their particular needs, taking strategic inspiration from ghettos, bantustans, and other tactics of apartheid and ethnic cleansing.

Xander77 posted:

So the collective massacre of all Israe-

gently caress. Let's be serious. Arab Israelis (who, on the whole, consider themselves to be both Israelis and Palestinians) are in one condition (participating in Israeli society, citizens, residents, being discriminated against with "regular" racism that people in this thread aren't concerned about). Palestinians on the Western Bank are in another. Gazans are in another still. There's a real-politic rationality to the level of oppression increasing as does "resistance". This doesn't happen in vacuum - yeah, no poo poo.

If you want a two state solution or a one state solution (someone earlier was under the impression that I have preference), or any solution that isn't "The Palestinians win, the Jews are "sent away" to live on a farm somewhere"- the primary condition would have to be convincing the Israeli public that the main goal of the Palestinians isn't killing them all.

"What else could they do besides kill women and children and parade their bodies in the street... whoops, I meant bravely resist" is a particularly weird take right after a series of successful attacks on military outposts and bases - which would have been so much easier to sell to the Western public and even to leftist\moderate Israelis.

The other primary condition would have to be convincing the Palestinian public that the main goal of the Israelis isn't stealing all their land and resources and killing as many of them as necessary to make that stick. Which is going to be a tough case to make, since that's a pretty accurate summary of Israeli policy toward Palestinians in the last six or seven decades, and they're not especially subtle about it.

Hell, I'd go so far as to say that this is a more important condition. Why? For one thing, Israel has overwhelming military superiority over the Palestinians, and that wouldn't change just because of a peace deal. Even if they wanted to, the Palestinians couldn't kill all the Israelis. On the other hand, Israel is perfectly capable of killing all the Palestinians, and they've spent the last decade and a half demonstrating that with their genocidal policies toward Gaza.

Palestinians in the West Bank aren't being oppressed as brutally and inhumanely, but they're still heavily oppressed. To the extent that conditions in the West Bank are better, it's because the West Bank is ruled by a collaborationist party that lost its political legitimacy a decade and a half ago, and has clung to power by relying more and more heavily on the assistance of the Israeli military in rooting out rival political factions who might otherwise threaten that party's power.

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is a great post and perfectly captures how I've been feeling. Side stepping the entire question of causation and right/wrong, the long term outcome is going to be a free hand to Israeli right wing parties and worse treatment going forward.

Hamas seems so incredibly dumb in this whole thing. They fundamentally cannot win and apart from "losing" this is going to lead to even worse conditions and there will be no consequences for Israel, who are now the "sympathetic" party to the members of the international community in a position to do anything about it.

Israel isn't Hamas' only enemy. There's also violent insurgent factions like Islamic Jihad that they have to contend with. Gaza has a ~50% unemployment rate and barely functional infrastructure. It doesn't have sufficient power or clean water, and its medical facilities teeter at the brink due to a combination of supply shortages and an endless influx of injuries inflicted by Israeli forces at the peaceful border protests. Foreign investment and humanitarian aid have dwindled due to Israeli interference and a growing sense that Israel is just going to blow up whatever gets built with the money anyway. Literally half the population of the Gaza Strip is age 18 or younger. And these conditions have been in place for literally fifteen entire years. More than half the population of Gaza doesn't even remember the days before the open-air prison.

All of this has made for an extremely difficult domestic political situation, with a lot of angry starving young men struggling to feed their families under the conditions wrought by the extreme Israeli oppression that's been going on their entire lives. Hamas tries its best to help out, but there's not really much it can do for them given the extreme resource constraints and Israel's complete unwillingness to negotiate in good faith. As a result, it's not easy to maintain political dominance in Gaza, and it's even harder than that to maintain a monopoly on violence and keep other armed groups like Islamic Jihad under control. Hamas has to walk a tightrope between keeping all that discontent and violence restrained and keeping it pointed at someone that isn't them.

In general, I think that when Americans and Western Europeans look at what other countries are doing for foreign policy, we tend not to really consider the impact that domestic politics can have on foreign policy. If something doesn't seem to make strategic sense on a foreign policy level, then it's often really a measure taken for the benefit of domestic politics. Our own politicians do stupid poo poo toward foreign countries for the sake of domestic posturing all the time. Sure, the consequences for stuff like this are a lot more serious when a small power does it...but it's precisely because they're so weak and put-upon that there's that much more domestic pressure to assert themselves through foreign posturing.

Willo567 posted:

No, there is absolutely no way in hell Israel would use nukes against Gaza, and absolutely no reason to think that they would. There is no way in hell that Israel is going to drop their policy of nuclear ambiguity in order to nuke the most densely populated city on the planet for the sake of striking back against an insurgency equipped exclusively with small arms and homemade bombs.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

So the takeaway to my "I don't think any unarmed civilians should get murdered" is "well if some happens then why not more"

ok cool, normal and not totally devoid of any human empathy, gotcha. my bad for engaging

It shouldn't happen, but Israel has made it exceedingly clear it does not think the lives of Palestinian civilians matter in the least given that they regularly blow up apartment buildings, hospitals, news buildings, and so it is not particularly surprising that the other side in this conflict engages in similar atrocities. The pieces of poo poo responsible for murdering civilians at a rave should be held to account and part of that means the Israeli government should stop massacring and brutalizing Palestinian civilians. And probably have some actual accountability for its own when they, say, blow up four kids on a beach.

also they probably shouldn't have a dude who celebrates a monster like Baruch Goldstein as their Minister of National Security

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 8, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hey experts, what does she mean by this?

https://twitter.com/moonlit_misfit/status/1710824004351594667

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
USA is sending their thoughts and prayers.

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1711057505286045783

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's some Twitter nobody with barely any followers. Who cares? Why do we need to dissect the words of some random self-proclaimed "anarcho-feminist" posting a hot take that came across your feed?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Hamas, you have the chance to do the funniest thing of the century.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Are you really making a semantic argument about how to define "camp"? Palestinians live under Israeli sovereignty with generally no freedom of movement or political participation in Israel. That the buildings are more permanent or there's some level of internal organization doesn't address those fundamental things that make it internment. This basic denial of human rights for a third of Israel's population is the context for everything else in that conflict and Israel shows approximately zero political will in changing this direction.

The rest you can do a find replace for China/Israel. Israel's increasingly authoritarian government and political system, repression of occupied populations, and the lack of international response has accelerated settlement activities there.

Particularized control over activities and communication is obviously relevant to the security process, as is total control over law enforcement in the territory. It's not semantic! Urumqi does not need an Iron Dome. It does have a totalizing presence of the Chinese state in every sphere of life.

The distinction is that post-disengagement, post-Oslo Israel, unlike China, has a notional commitment to Palestine as a self-governing entity (however illusory that status) and so refuses to govern in its place, which obviously precludes such fine-grained control over daily life in the Gaza Strip.

I have an inkling that in longer-term this commitment will be much reduced, especially in the post-upcoming-war Gaza Strip. As the Nasserist moment fades ever further into the rearview mirror, the plausibility of Israel facing concerted action by its neighbouring states fades, and so the terror of being cut off from Europe fades, and with it the desire to achieve peace on terms acceptable to Western Europe. It has to, instead, prioritize the much more plausible of prospect of peace on terms acceptable to Cairo, Riyadh, Damascus, etc. (countries which, you may notice, do not exactly have principled objections to shooting large numbers of dissidents). Meanwhilst the new would-be superpower does not have a penchant for indulging nostalgia for Egyptian friendship treaties, but instead is vocally opposed to unilateral sanctions: if Beijing could bring Tehran, Riyadh, and Tel Aviv to the table for 1b1r, they very much would.

In this scenario, regional politics would evolve toward a status quo akin to Southeast Asia today, where most countries in the region limit criticism of genocide or mass killings to criticism and advocate flexible and discreet bilateral engagement to tackle such problems; the approach fellow Muslim countries Bangladesh and Malaysia have taken to the Rohingya crisis and subsequent Myanmar coup is illustrative. Ultimately pan-Islamic solidarity no longer rings as clearly as it once did. Israeli cooperation with KSA and UAE on Houthi missile strikes is indicative, perhaps.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think political violence is sometimes justified, but that this specific act of political violence was heinous, excessive and will likely prove enormously counterproductive to the Palestinian cause.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's done more for their cause already than anything in decades. The world can't go any harder in supporting the genocide of the Palestinian people than it already does, it's not like Israel needs the help when they have all the power in this situation (figuratively and literally, since they've cut the power to the 2+ million people in the strip). But Israel has spent decades crafting a reputation of having an incredibly good military that cops all over the world want to emulate and now it's gonna be a lot harder to convince the settlers to help in their genocide because it's just a bit less safe.

Edit: vv Not to say they can't support it harder, but that there's materially no difference. Israel has all the tools it needs to complete the genocide already, it does not need more aircraft or tanks or money to do so. Or at least, they won't meaningfully help. They could absolutely use more soldiers, but for one I don't think any nation is going to throw it's troops into the meatgrinder that is urban guerilla warfare, and for two fighting the Palestinians is already hella demoralizing for most Israeli, let alone people with no stake in the matter. You'd have to go around assembling the most sociopathic soldiers in the world, or just the cops from a major US city I guess.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 8, 2023

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Oh Logan

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Zeron posted:

But Israel has spent decades crafting a reputation of having an incredibly good military that cops all over the world want to emulate and now it's gonna be a lot harder to convince the settlers to help in their genocide because it's just a bit less safe.

Apparently a bunch of NYPD top brass were visiting Israel (I wonder what for) right when the attacks happened.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Zeron posted:

the world can't go any harder in supporting the genocide of the Palestinian people than it already does

I'm really not so sure about this, and I feel like we're about to find out the extent of this statement is a truly awful way.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
What's up with Gaza's Egyptian border? Do they block refugees and aid to keep good relations with Israel?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ograbme posted:

What's up with Gaza's Egyptian border? Do they block refugees and aid to keep good relations with Israel?

yes. there are famously smuggling tunnels but officially the egyptian government is in cahoots

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

ummel posted:

I'm really not so sure about this, and I feel like we're about to find out the extent of this statement is a truly awful way.

A slow genocide is still a genocide, and israel has been actively killing them for years with the tacit support of nearly the entire world. Contaminating all of their water, and pouring concrete into the remaining clean sources has the same end as shooting them, its just a lot easier for the rest of the world to ignore.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Ograbme posted:

Why do you think the Muslim Brotherhood won the first free election and then was violently overthrown by the military? The dictatorship in Egypt serves foreign powers. Saudi Arabia is more responsible than Israel and the US though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ograbme posted:

Hamas is an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood, so this Egyptian government absolutely loathes it even aside from anything having to do with Israel, and (like pretty much everyone else in the world) isn't particularly interested in making distinctions between the rulers of Gaza and the people living there.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Zeron posted:

The world can't go any harder in supporting the genocide of the Palestinian people than it already does

Yeah I'm not so sure, and I think we're about to find out whether that's actually the case.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Shooting a bunch of dreadlocked 20 year olds on mushrooms is not really the positive propaganda they might think it is

I think the only human rights group not to say anything is the UN, which is meeting behind closed doors in 15 minutes on this and I'm sure will have the exact same condemnation statement soon enough

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Germany has just spent 18 months on a journey of 'okay maybe we have to take defence seriously and maybe there is such a thing as a good war' and yesterday got a very strong push on public opinion towards Israel.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ummel posted:

Yeah. Consider what has happened to many cities in Ukraine that are around the same size as Gaza (the difference being that they had somewhere to flee).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Shooting a bunch of dreadlocked 20 year olds on mushrooms is not really the positive propaganda they might think it is

I think the only human rights group not to say anything is the UN, which is meeting behind closed doors in 15 minutes on this and I'm sure will have the exact same condemnation statement soon enough
It's not meant to be propaganda. It's meant to be horrific.

What it is supposed to be is something Israel can't ignore. They can't keep slowly smothering Gaza and pretending like that's fine.

To that goal specifically, of shattering the unacceptable status quo, it seems to have succeeded. The "strong" fascists in Israel look weak.

Of course, the immediate change is going to be horrific for the people in Gaza, but things are changing at least.

For the record I think the attack was clearly horrific and inhumane. Anyone interested in human rights should condemn it. Just like they should condemn all the civilian murders that Israel commits.

Some people are saying it's not an atrocity because it's for a just cause, but that's a hosed up and cowardly way of feeling good about yourself. Just say you think atrocities can be justified if you think this is justified. Don't deny it's an atrocity.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Saudi was getting close to normalizing relations with Israel so Hamas acts up to undermine the deal and garner sympathy. Can’t really empathize with this one here. I’m more surprised how off guard Israel was taken by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Maybe Israel will accidentally sink one of them