Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
My favorite joke from that episode is when one of the volleyball women does the Borat impression and Lazlo thinks it's Henry VIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
sorry no that’s my favorite joke, you have to pick another one

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I didn't forget it was great, just how great and how relentless the pace was with the laughs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

I heard this in the voice of Mark from Peep Show. that's MY bit of lager

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I haven’t watched Peep Show in years. I thought about an episode the other day. Maybe this is a sign I should rewatch it. Though I’m also a little worried it might not hold up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that while Jackie Daytona knows that Jim (The Vampire) is a vampire and is thus surprised when it appears that Jim (the Vampire) has drunk his glass empty, Jim (the Vampire) seems equally surprised that Jackie Daytona (Regular Human Bartender) has also finished his own drink.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I haven’t watched Peep Show in years. I thought about an episode the other day. Maybe this is a sign I should rewatch it. Though I’m also a little worried it might not hold up.

I rewatched it a year ago and still laughed my rear end off. Helps I have a few friends I can text quotes to and immediately get back the right response. There was also several episodes I didn't remember at all so nice surprise.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Nikumatic posted:

this is the way we TALK in TUCson AriZONeeah

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Chairman Capone posted:

It holds up. I've done several rewatches.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I thought about Peep Show recently because Mark's real life wife was on Taskmaster (which I'm finally getting around to watching).

Holds up really well. I think anything where the main characters are 100% intended to be detestable imps holds up longer than shows where they're the heroes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Chairman Capone posted:

It's a good time to do so since it had its 20th anniversary recently. My partner and I have taken the opportunity to rewatch it for, like, the seventh time (and so has a lot of the rest of the uk judging by what I'm seeing online), and it's still absolutely incredible.

Despite the occasional cartoonish moment it is a painfully accurate depiction of being a mediocre english stunted co-dependent male living in the 21st century. Ask me how I know lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Last few friendsgivings we did, we put on the episode where Mark is going absolutely nuts trying to make a meal with nothing, lettuce in cocktails and a psychotic baked bean uhh casserole of sorts, complete mess. Perfect backdrop to an amazing meal with friends. You feel their pain but also immediately soothe it with food and more functional friendship lol.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

recently wrangled my partner into watching just so he can understand where my glowering “fuuuching guyyyyye” comes from and he’s super tickled by the whole thing.

it rules to 1) have an excuse to watch from the beginning and 2) see someone else’s reactions to how delightfully ridiculous these hapless vamps are.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
There's no Peep Show thread? wtf

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Holds up really well. I think anything where the main characters are 100% intended to be detestable imps holds up longer than shows where they're the heroes.

The Always Sunny Law

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SirPablo posted:

There's no Peep Show thread? wtf

I started one ten years ago. It must have gotten archived!

Peep Show is fantastic, and I think the reason why is everyone in this show is terrible, and they all bring each other down. Except Dobbie. And Super Hans. I love the long slow decline of Sophie from Mark’s dream girl to walking disaster. The insanity of Alan Johnson. The business secrets of the pharaohs.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Peep Show feels like it got away with some real dark poo poo that I doubt a network American show could have pulled off. The dog episode really shook me the first time I saw it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lmao yeah, although, if you let the always sunny crew handle it, I could see them going to most of those same dark wells. They already do have a dog meat bit in the suburban episode.
.the actual US version they attempted is one of the worst things I've ever seen produced. It has the lovely not-eric replacement from late 70s show seasons as Jez, and one of the big bang theory dudes as Mark. They don't even really attempt to do the POV thing and really smashed everything into generic sitcom style.

I think the hardest thing if they ever actually did a real attempt at adaptation would be translating mark. The type of weird little freak he is seems so hyper specific not only to him being British but British of a certain time and class. There are universally needling things about him to translate, but most of them are just so specific to Mark. He is a man made of Problems and if you change the Problems then you change the man.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The only bad thing about Peep Show is seeing how much i am like Mark Corrigan, expect he seems more financially secure.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
My favorite godawful attempt at importing a British sitcom has gotta be the Inbetweeners adaptation where it was on MTV so they couldn't say any swears and only one of the kids was even close to ugly

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The pilot to the IT Crowd adaption was putrid

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Anyone catching Matt Berry in Krapopolis?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SirPablo posted:

Anyone catching Matt Berry in Krapopolis?

I'm pretty sure he's the sole reason a relevant percentage of the audience is watching the show. The writing for his character could be a lot snappier, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can tell they couldn't get Clem Fandango to wrestle the best out of him

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

speaking of, a desire for more Matt Berry got me to watch Darkplace and I adored it, but then I only got through the first season of Toast of London before stopping. like it made me laugh at least once an episode but I didn't care to move on to season 2

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace getting such a short shrift is a tragedy

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm sure it was mentioned when it was on, but Kayvan Novak voiced a main character throughout season 13 of Archer. I liked it.

That's all I got.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Bad news, they’re trying an another American version of Peep Show:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/minnie-driver-amandla-jahava-peep-show-pilot-fx-1235582761/

Except it’s gender swapped?

And features a boss and her assistant instead of two friends/roommates?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

OldSenileGuy posted:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/minnie-driver-amandla-jahava-peep-show-pilot-fx-1235582761/

So just a completely different show shot POV and called Peep Show?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

World War Mammories posted:

speaking of, a desire for more Matt Berry got me to watch Darkplace and I adored it, but then I only got through the first season of Toast of London before stopping. like it made me laugh at least once an episode but I didn't care to move on to season 2

It's not my fav, but every time he says "yes I can hear you clem fandango!" it gets me.

SAY THE LINE

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Lol have these women ever worked together before? I think having the two leads being part of a long time comedy duo had a lot to do with how great their chemistry and timing was.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

World War Mammories posted:

I think the subsequent seasons are better. It's never amazing, but Berry still has some great material in it.

Have you watched AD/BC: A Rock Opera?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1eTb6smNM

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Whoolighams posted:

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace getting such a short shrift is a tragedy

It kinda adds to the appeal

but also have you seen the extended interview mockumentary about it that's also hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZlA6Qeseo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVI2X5fxy1A

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
She was like a candle in the wind. Unreliable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I just binged this show for the first time and the thing I am struck by is that I don't think I've ever watched a show where every single episode is this consistently great. I don't think there's a single episode of the show I think is bad? I think all the characters are fantastic, I'm constantly surprised by what the plot of so many episodes is, and I'm delighted with how many supernatural creatures the show has. I also think it's really funny that the doll is STILL a character 5 seasons in. That would be a one of joke in any other show

Also I don't feel like the show dipped in quality at all in 5 seasons, which is pretty impressive for any show. You could have an episode from season 1 next to season 5 and you'd be hard pressed to find much of a difference

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a Something Awful comedy TV show thread so there are definitely some posts like "such and such hilarious episode or funny season is actually not funny and here's a paragraph about why it wasn't funny" but I'm with you, I felt no slump, they continued to grow and evolve the show and it stayed funny. I did a rewatch before this season and even the stuff I'd probably seen too recently to bother rewatching still got me with jokes I missed before.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think the worst that can be said is that some episodes are not as good as others. But all of them have had moments that made me laugh out loud

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’d say if there’s a “worst” season, it might be 4? But even then there were still absolutely brilliant and inspired moments in almost every episode.

Show rocks

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
WWDITS is the only show I will consistently throw on a random episode to watch when I’ve got nothing better making noise in the apartment. Season 4 is absolutely the worst of the series, and still pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's funny cause The Night Market is probably like top 5 for me, and Nandor's little plotline with the lamp and his wife is hysterical. Also I found the Colin Robinson plotline in season 4 incredible.