Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
The release of plastic MkVI Marines and retro-style land raiders got me back into WH last year, after a nearly 20 year hiatus. There's something I love about the Rogue Trader era miniatures, although they were all released before I was born. I have a plan to have 2 identical armies, one of RT originals and then another of the HH updated versions. This plan has already failed after realising that a RT land raider will bankrupt me, but I've managed to pick up some RT MkVI marines and a Rhino alongside the HH versions.

I can see why the HH dreadnoughts have a different design philosophy than the rest of the range, as I think the RT dreadnoughts would be hard to make a really good modern design of. Having said that, I'm not sure that I really like the current trend of having a tiny little head poking out of the mech, and I prefer the sarcophagus style.

So upon buying a Leviathan Dread - a design I otherwise really like - I decided to try my hand at doing my first conversion for over 20 years. Using an Imperial Knight Optics Turret, the turret optics from an IG Hydra or Wyvern, and some HH Predator support optics. The sunken-in nature of the central body really allows for the hiding of a lot of crimes. I'm actually really pleased with the result, personally:

https://ibb.co/SBBy9Mg

https://ibb.co/23QrVxs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rasler posted:

The release of plastic MkVI Marines and retro-style land raiders got me back into WH last year, after a nearly 20 year hiatus. There's something I love about the Rogue Trader era miniatures, although they were all released before I was born. I have a plan to have 2 identical armies, one of RT originals and then another of the HH updated versions. This plan has already failed after realising that a RT land raider will bankrupt me, but I've managed to pick up some RT MkVI marines and a Rhino alongside the HH versions.

I can see why the HH dreadnoughts have a different design philosophy than the rest of the range, as I think the RT dreadnoughts would be hard to make a really good modern design of. Having said that, I'm not sure that I really like the current trend of having a tiny little head poking out of the mech, and I prefer the sarcophagus style.

So upon buying a Leviathan Dread - a design I otherwise really like - I decided to try my hand at doing my first conversion for over 20 years. Using an Imperial Knight Optics Turret, the turret optics from an IG Hydra or Wyvern, and some HH Predator support optics. The sunken-in nature of the central body really allows for the hiding of a lot of crimes. I'm actually really pleased with the result, personally:

https://ibb.co/SBBy9Mg

https://ibb.co/23QrVxs

That is legitimately so cool, what legion are you going to do 'em up as? I can totally see some mechanicum priests having gone a bit OTT on some dreads.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That conversion would work great for Iron Hands or Iron Warriors. Or maybe Salamanders.

I think you've got the shoulders on backwards though. If that's intended, just ignore me.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, the shoulders are backwards, but the conversion looks great and "more front facing tech" fits enough I didn't notice at a first pass. Very nice.
Built my second Levi yesterday myself, need to get those both primed and painted already - I'm way behind on painting at this point...

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Who hasn't accidentally put shoulders on backward before?

Definitely not me: https://imgur.com/8RKze0j

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008
Thanks for your kind words, and also for pointing out my error with the shoulders! It was in fact a genuine mistake - I assumed that the optic looking thing on the shoulder was for aiming with a weapon and so put them on that way without checking the manual, oops!

I have now fixed the error and swapped them around - it did kinda match with the converted head but not with the rest of the back of the mini.

As for paint scheme, I'm going with blackshields so that I can make my own scheme. I have already started to paint a HH land raider up in what I think the final scheme will end up being:

https://imgur.com/a/mXXaQ1p

https://imgur.com/a/tDM1V3C

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I love weird dreadnought conversions! Yours owns.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Rasler posted:

Your Leviathan conversion does look great.

My understanding is that the Contemptor is meant to be a modern (well, 2011 era) reimagining of the classic Rogue Trader dreadnought, just as the Deredeo is a reimagining of the classic Space Crusade dreadnought. Whether or not they hit as reimaginings of those ideas is up in the air, but given that ForgeWorld seems to have started when a bunch of Citadel people decided they wanted to do more realistic psudeo-historical tanks for the Imperial Guard, it's not surprising that their takes on the RT dreadnoughts were the miniature equivalent of dressing the X-Men up in black leather because yellow spandex is too goofy.

Not sure whether the Leviathan is meant to be a reimagining of any earlier model in specific. Maybe someone else in this thread knows.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

strictly speaking the modern Contemptor is a take on the dreadnought redesign that appeared in Epic 40k, rather than the RT dreadnought(s); sticks very close to that design actually. been waiting on them to have a similar crack at the bigger chaos dread from Space Crusade expansion for years, very rude of them to leave me waiting.

and yeah, Leviathan's not really a specific reference to any older thing, just a blend of the styles

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

This scheme is nice, I like how it breaks up the big brick profile of the land raider

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rasler posted:

As for paint scheme, I'm going with blackshields so that I can make my own scheme. I have already started to paint a HH land raider up in what I think the final scheme will end up being:

https://imgur.com/a/mXXaQ1p

https://imgur.com/a/tDM1V3C
Hell yeah. Always happy to see blackshields. Anything goes with them and that scheme will look great across a force.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

im thinking about dipping a toe in to heresy but I’m a little confused about what’s coming out and how it works in general. what new infantry plastic kits are coming out besides mk3? someone said mk 6 is coming out soon too? I just bought a box of beakies to use as Chosen and I’m gonna be sad if they’re already out of date. I know WB are grey armored in the heresy and the red didn’t come in til later, will red word bearers look out of place?

there’s all these marks of armor, can you mix and match to create different types of squads? can beakies be mixed in with mk3?

Finally, I have a shitload of 40K units im curious about the viability of running in Heresy, namely predator destructors, rhino, and the old Land Raider. not the old old metal one but whichever one was available ~12 years ago. also curious if I can run my Helbrutes as anything like maybe a Contemptor—they’re the old dark vengeance helbrutes that only had one build option, which is melta and scourge. i also have a handful of 40K wardogs, are there baby knights in 30k or big guys only?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

im thinking about dipping a toe in to heresy but I’m a little confused about what’s coming out and how it works in general. what new infantry plastic kits are coming out besides mk3? someone said mk 6 is coming out soon too? I just bought a box of beakies to use as Chosen and I’m gonna be sad if they’re already out of date. I know WB are grey armored in the heresy and the red didn’t come in til later, will red word bearers look out of place?

there’s all these marks of armor, can you mix and match to create different types of squads? can beakies be mixed in with mk3?

Finally, I have a shitload of 40K units im curious about the viability of running in Heresy, namely predator destructors, rhino, and the old Land Raider. not the old old metal one but whichever one was available ~12 years ago. also curious if I can run my Helbrutes as anything like maybe a Contemptor—they’re the old dark vengeance helbrutes that only had one build option, which is melta and scourge. i also have a handful of 40K wardogs, are there baby knights in 30k or big guys only?

• The beakies you got are new, don't worry. New mk3 is coming out and a new beaky assault squad.
  • WB are red and grey in heresy
  • Armor marks don't have any bearing on the rules, any space marine can be any mark, mixing them in a squad might look weird but nobody's stopping you
  • Proxying 40k tanks depends on their loadout, and in general the attitude of your local group/opponent. always ask.
  • Helbrutes might work as a word bearers mhara gal dreadnought, but again, ask your group https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Word-Bearers-Mhara-Gal-Tainted-Dreadnought
  • Armigers exist in 30k but not wardogs, again if the loadout matches an armiger you might be ok, but ask. Space marines CAN ally mechanicus/knight households (which can be just armigers)

You might wanna get your hands on the Liber Hereticus (traitor codex) to see all the units and their loadouts available to you. cheers!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The rules for the 40k Land Raider (phobos) is in 30k's in Legion Astartes Legacies (direct link), along with a few other primarily 40k units.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Still waiting to find some shoulders (and find the left hands that I know are around here somewhere in my bits box), but I think I've got all the other components I need to build a squad of Dawnbreakers for some BA allies. They won't be done until the assault squad releases, but at my current dismal painting pace, I probably won't be done painting them until then anyway.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
Really been enjoying building and converting my Sons of Horus.

Played two games of ZM so far at 500 points, had a lot of fun, got my poo poo molten by Plasma Fusil Myrmidons. Building some Terminators next to deal with those, for my next 750 points game.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Figures this would probably be the best place to ask, but I'm looking into possibly staying a Custodes army in Epic, preparing for Legions Imperialis (whenever that comes out). However, the list that's used says something about Ephoroi Custodes, and for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out what the heck they're talking about. Am I just missing them, are they a 40k unit that someone forgot to change when making a 30k list, or do they just not even exist as models, just mentioned in the lore?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Aniodia posted:

Figures this would probably be the best place to ask, but I'm looking into possibly staying a Custodes army in Epic, preparing for Legions Imperialis (whenever that comes out). However, the list that's used says something about Ephoroi Custodes, and for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out what the heck they're talking about. Am I just missing them, are they a 40k unit that someone forgot to change when making a 30k list, or do they just not even exist as models, just mentioned in the lore?

Aren't those the custodes armored in black that you see in that Horus v Emps art piece?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

S.J. posted:

Aren't those the custodes armored in black that you see in that Horus v Emps art piece?

I think I know what picture you're talking about, and maybe? I'll just need to look into it a bit more.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Aniodia posted:

The Ephoroi are the "sneaky" division of the Custodes who do all the covert ops/spy stuff.

There are several forces of black armored Custodes:
  • The Warders of the Vaults of Rython, who guarded a bunch of The Emperor's spooky tech from the Dark Age of Technology, but were also deployed to battles like The Burning of Prospero
  • The Dankanatoi, a force specifically devoted to hunting down and exterminating traitors to The Throne - these seem the most likely candidates for those in the old art of the battle of the Vengeful Spirit
  • The Shadowkeepers, who guard the Dark Cells at the bottom of the Imperial Palace

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Classic loadout, for classic dudemans.

Bonus full squad picture:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Hell yeah

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The armour studs are such an iconic look imho

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I tried my Hammerfall Bunker tonight.

It's so bad.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

moths posted:

I tried my Hammerfall Bunker tonight.

It's so bad.

I'm sad to hear that; it's one of the few newer 40k models I like.

There's something about dropping a turret from space that scratches the Dawn of War itch

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The idea of a drop pod assault supported by a hammerfall bunker is so neat in theory.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hammerfall deployment is limited to your deployment zone, after everything else is deployed. Good luck with those flamers.

It doesn't have firing protocols, so you're paying 150 points for at least three TL heavy bolters / flamers that will never fire. (At least one will be pointed at your table edge all game.)

The cool double-missile pod artillery turret is a cyclone missile launcher. And not a twin-linked one.

BS2.

As a Fortification, it's illegal in the Drop Pod Assault RoW.

It's a serious contender for worst unit in Heresy. It needed deep strike and firing protocols to be worth 150 points. You want this blocking a lane and barfing fire, but it just sits in your DZ until you forget about it on turn 2.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Aren't Fortifications allowed to shoot all their weapon, but have to target a single unit? It's in the legacies pdf, so I don't know if it's been overruled. It's still terrible that it has to slam down in your own deployment zone.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was just wondering if I'd missed that.

quote:

A model with the Fortification Unit Type may attack with all weapons it has in each Shooting Phase, targeting a single enemy unit unless another special rule allows it to do otherwise.

So you can shoot all the guns in opposite directions if they'll all hit the same target.

That's why it needs (but doesn't have) firing protocols.

E: and I think that's why it's so expensive. You're paying to shoot 4 TL heavy bolters or flamers every turn, except the game won't ever let you.

moths fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 5, 2023

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Firing protocols doesn't allow you to target multiple units, does it? I'm still pretty new at this, so it's a genuine question?
Defensive Weapons can do it, but fortifications can't have those. Machine Sprits does it, but fortifications can't have those.
It would be nice to have a "building with a ton of guns, just shoot!" rule.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:doh: my bad, I got FP(x) confused with PotMS:

quote:

Power of the Machine Spirit

A Vehicle with this special rule may attack different targets with each Ranged weapon it is permitted to fire during any Shooting Attack.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

I painted an Imperial Fist!

Endman
May 18, 2010

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I painted an Imperial Fist!

That is a lovely vibrant yellow

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

I was looking at the article that had the bound daemons rules, and it says that we would get the full ruinstorm daemons list by the end of the summer. Has there been an update that I missed or any rumors?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

I was looking at the article that had the bound daemons rules, and it says that we would get the full ruinstorm daemons list by the end of the summer. Has there been an update that I missed or any rumors?

Nah they just overpromised again

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It is always summer in England.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Big set of pre-orders coming next week.

-Exemplary Battles of the Age of Darkness: Volume I
-Legiones Astartes Battle Group
-Updates Mk3's
-Plastic Deredeo
-Sons of horus resin weapon upgrades

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/08/sunday-preview-new-releases-abound-from-the-age-of-darkness/

Ristolaz posted:

Are we out of the corporate fiscal summer yet? Maybe there's still time?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:getin:

I'm gonna get the New Box. And the Book.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
hell yea, plastic mk3s. finally i can make a death guard army to go with my big e's kids. well, mk3s my local shops will carry, i should say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
God I love the new plastic dreadnoughts