Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Ring blades

I use a lot of electrical tape at work and this removes the need for me to tear tape. This is not the exact model I use, we whipped up some 3d printed rings with a significantly smaller cutting range because I commonly work with 24 gauge wires, though the bigger blades aren't bad. The blade itself gets quite dull from the adhesives and it would take a ton of force to cut through a wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Mozi posted:

I have tried many pillows (including buckwheat).

This is the best for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHC9FG3/. I guess this particular one is no longer available but there should be something similar. Very firm and a good shape for both back and side sleeping as I tend to

that looks like a pillow you can gently caress

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

So is this some kind of sex toy?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it’s a power ring

The power to cut poo poo

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Cyril Sneer posted:

So is this some kind of sex toy?

It’s like one of those costume toys from a movie like Batman Forever or TMNT except it’s from Se7en and they had to water it down for safety reasons

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

maybealabia posted:

I really like my Purple pillow and mattress

Best sleep I've ever had

We tried Purple, we both absolutely hated it.

Pillows and mattresses are one of those things that feels like there should be an objectively correct answer, one you can just throw money at and there just, isn't.

I'm not even the little bit kidding, if I had told my husband yes we would be sleeping on a $10k+ mattress that I absolutely hated, we have couple friends that absolutely hate king size beds because they "don't feel connected", when we had a queen sized bed my husband would practically throw me off it in sleep because he wanted to splay across the entire bed

This changes all the time but right now I have a firmness of 75 and my husband is 55, I don't see a way that we could both be happy with the same firmness, I'm at 75 now, I think my last setting was a few months ago at like 45.

There is not a right mattress answer, I feel like if you have everyone an unlimited budget and put them in a warehouse with every mattress in existence you would have people walking out with everything between a $500 twin and a $50K custom double California king.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Magic fingers vibrating bed

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

root beer posted:

It’s like one of those costume toys from a movie like Batman Forever or TMNT except it’s from Se7en and they had to water it down for safety reasons

Um more like Edward Scissorhands. I make wire harnesses and computers, so I go through an absolute ton of tape.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I’ll put my vote in on the plus side for Purple. I love my Purple mattress, it’s easily the best mattress I’ve ever owned. But I’ll fully agree with 3O too; what sort of mattress feel you like is a personal decision; don’t buy a mattress because someone else online likes it. Buy a mattress because you’ve laid on it and liked it.

I don’t like their pillows though. Coop all the way on pillows.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Putting my money on the table to say: ICEPLANE

http://www.iceplane.co.uk/

These things are designed with two blades and are angled so the blade can flex onto the windscreen, while still being thick as gently caress so they don't break.

Ive had one for like 10 years now and its still just as good as the day I bought it and still absolutely shreds ice off windscreens.

Its not good at internal ice though, but i think thats a uniquely "my unfixable leak car is damp inside" problem.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Buce posted:

that looks like a pillow you can gently caress

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Putting my money on the table to say: ICEPLANE

http://www.iceplane.co.uk/

These things are designed with two blades and are angled so the blade can flex onto the windscreen, while still being thick as gently caress so they don't break.

Ive had one for like 10 years now and its still just as good as the day I bought it and still absolutely shreds ice off windscreens.

Its not good at internal ice though, but i think thats a uniquely "my unfixable leak car is damp inside" problem.

These are dumb without a brush. There is a reason most of the ice scrappers are manufactured with one. What you basically have here is half of what most people would expect in an ice scrapper. Welp, glad it works for you!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Why on earth does an ice scraper need a brush?

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I keep a squeegee in the bathroom to get steam off the mirror quickly.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

Why on earth does an ice scraper need a brush?

because in the winter you'll have both, either separately or often a layer of snow over ice or one of the innumerable gradations in between

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Professor Shark posted:

We have one of these in my kitchen. What do I do with it?

fill it with ~14 tsp of coarse grounds, put it in a 2L mason jar with some ice in the bottom, submerse in cold water and put in your fridge for 12-24 hrs, then pull the filter out and drink the coffee

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

We have one of these in my kitchen. What do I do with it?

You put coffee grounds in it and leave them to soak in water overnight, then you throw the grounds away.

We bought a mason dispenser for ours, like this one:

The filter fits nicely on the rim, so you just throw the whole thing into the fridge with the filter + coffee grounds, then you remove the filter the next day, dump the grounds out, and rinse the thing clean. Super easy. 12 hours is fine, longer for more flavor

You want to use coarsely-ground beans, if they're ground too fine then they'll seep through the filter and your coffee will suck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Air Fryer. Pretty versatile piece of equipment and I really like the reheat setting in particular as that is great for reheating pizza.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Ginette Reno posted:

Air Fryer. Pretty versatile piece of equipment and I really like the reheat setting in particular as that is great for reheating pizza.

It took me a long time to understand what an "air fryer" is, and it turns out, it is literally not a thing, it is a tiny, lovely, convection oven.

Actually, I kind of take that back, we do own an "air fryer", it's a button we never use on our microwave:

I really need to figure out a way to rebrand a cheap panini press to make a fortune.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 8, 2023

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
good thing you posted proof you own a microwave, i was getting scared

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
This thing many people own is literally not a thing

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I was resistant to getting an air fryer because I have a convection oven but honestly it’s worth it just to be able to preheat the thing in 4 minutes. This may not be worth it for you if you don’t have a toddler.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mons Hubris posted:

I was resistant to getting an air fryer because I have a convection oven but honestly it’s worth it just to be able to preheat the thing in 4 minutes. This may not be worth it for you if you don’t have a toddler.

Yeah, in my case they were nothing alike. I've had a convection toaster oven for 8 years and the "convection" basically just recirculates the air to keep everything even. I thought air fryers were so dumb because I've just never seen one used before.

I got an air fryer maybe a year or so ago and it sounds like a jet turbine. It cooks things WAY faster. I honestly don't use it very often but then again I haven't been doing much cooking lately.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

The air fryer allows me to enjoy delicious, perfectly cooked French fries and tater tots within twenty or so low-stress minutes

I could cook them faster, but I'd have to stand constant vigil over boiling oil to do it, and :effort:

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Air fryer (mine at least) is a standard stovetop coil heater like you'd see on a plug-in single hotplate, with a big fan right next to it

Convection function on various appliances turns on a fan and the heating elements wherever they may be

Think the position of the two components is pretty important, I've used both and air fryer does do a way better job on frozen crispy treats

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Konar posted:

Air fryer (mine at least) is a standard stovetop coil heater like you'd see on a plug-in single hotplate, with a big fan right next to it

Convection function on various appliances turns on a fan and the heating elements wherever they may be

Think the position of the two components is pretty important, I've used both and air fryer does do a way better job on frozen crispy treats

They're a godsend for frozen stuff. A family I nannied for had one and it was amazing for waffles, potstickers, French fries, etc. If I ate frozen food with any regularity I'd grab one with no hesitation.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I use my air fryer for toast of all things. No need to buy a toaster. Reheating fries is also fantastic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Konar posted:

Convection cooking is actually very useful and it's strange to me that people don't seem to use it more often. My parents have had multiple ovens with a convection mode and they've maybe used it 3 times my entire life

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was shopping for a range earlier this year; getting a range with convection and air fryer features was a difference of like $20 vs one without those features. One of the salespeople I talked to conceded that air frying with a range isn't really like a dedicated countertop air fryer but I wanted convection (because it helps a lot with achieving temperature uniformity), so we got the air fryer feature too. It works fine

Here's a life enhancing object if you like baking: get an oven thermometer. Your oven's built-in thermometer probably sucks rear end

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Anybody have experience with one of those induction ovens where the burners are magnetic or something? My wife is interested in one so I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience

E. Induction, not invection

A Strange Aeon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 8, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anybody have experience with one of those invection ovens where the burners are magnetic or something? My wife is interested in one so I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience

The weird thing is that none of your existing pans will work and you can't use a wok

I think

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

maybealabia posted:

The weird thing is that none of your existing pans will work and you can't use a wok

I think

any iron or steel pot/pan will work on an induction cooktop. The magnets just have to be able to generate eddy currents and the material needs enough resistance to make heat.

They’re much, much better than traditional electric cooktops and more commercial kitchens are using them. They’re every bit as responsive as gas, but there’s a learning curve.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

Convection cooking is actually very useful and it's strange to me that people don't seem to use it more often. My parents have had multiple ovens with a convection mode and they've maybe used it 3 times my entire life

Most cooking instructions don't mention using one, or what changes you'd make to cook with one.
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my oven does and I don't think I've used it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

Anybody have experience with one of those invection ovens where the burners are magnetic or something? My wife is interested in one so I'm curious if anyone has first hand experience

Induction stoves are great, pretty much their only downside is that they cost more than a normal electric stove - and even more if you need to buy a bunch of new cookware. I used to have one in an apartment, it was pretty awesome

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

QuarkJets posted:

Induction stoves are great, pretty much their only downside is that they cost more than a normal electric stove - and even more if you need to buy a bunch of new cookware. I used to have one in an apartment, it was pretty awesome

Yeah, our current stove has been having some issues so we are thinking about replacing it. I guess we need an electrician to add a more powerful outlet and cap off the gas.

Not sure on how much cookware we'd need to replace, I think some of it at least should still be fine.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

sock it to me! posted:

I really like my Casper Pillow and mattress.

FINE, tell us about your podcast

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sadly googling “pillow mods” mainly yields pillows themed with the 60’s mod aesthetic

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I just got a tablet for the first time and it's really good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

GolfHole posted:

I just got a tablet for the first time and it's really good.

What do you use your tablet for? I bought one and almost never use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What do you use your tablet for? I bought one and almost never use it

Curious about this too. I got a good deal on an iPad air and I wanted it primarily to read pdfs in a close to real page size, which it works for. But for most consumption of stuff I'd use my phone for SA or my PC for gaming, so I just don't really do much with the tablet other than bring it to my monthly OSE game to access rpg stuff.