Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Finally got my play my siblings today with our IRL decks (I only just got Kaalia irl but dont have the rest of the cards I need though), me with my Bladewing the Risen RB/Reanimator Dragon tribal, my sibling generated infinite mana and did 500k damage to everyone. :haw:

It was a very tragic game with my sibling constantly preventing me from dealing damage with Dragon Mage preventing me from regen'ing my hand. :( It was funny as in contrast to my games with my friends this was the inverse where it was my siblings trying to keep me from potentially helping the other (drawing cards with dragon mage). :haw:

My sibling wants to help me put together a sliver deck, so I'm looking up prices. :) THEY don't mind me playing First Sliver. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

Here's the deck I'm running right now: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/GZLAjPoiN0Cl1BuYxGs1bw

The first two things you should take out are Search for Glory and Thalia's Lancers. They're only in to tutor for Gisela as Bruna was intended to be the face commander.

Luminarch Ascension is probably my favorite add in the whole deck. Playing it turn 2 means someone has to answer it almost right away or else you're gonna be making GBS threads out giant flyers at flash speed real quick.

Note: Sideboard cards are what was in the taken out of the precon deck.

Thank you.

I've been out of the MTG loop for ~10 years and came back around the LotR release. So like for board wipe resistance my mind goes to stuff like Twilight Shepherd instead of more recent options.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Played my Faerie deck and lost in the most YuGiOh way possible, I had out the "Anyone can discard a card" one out and my friend discarded a bunch of cards and then brought back to play with double counters a bunch of Planeswalkers who could all Ult including Nicol Bolas. Incredible.

WHY IS SLIVER QUEEN 300 loving DOLLARS!? Every other important Sliver 5 colour card like Legion is 50$ (Canadian) and all the others are at most like 1-3$ but Sliver queen is like 5x the price of all the other slivers wtf.

I just came up with an idea for a deck, what about a Super Saiyan EDH deck? Themed around getting stronger through various ways: Dying and Coming Back, Taking Damage and Recovering, Training, Sparring, Transforming into Stronger forms (the more forms the better?) and I guess finding Magic Items for a Dnd flair? Any ideas for this?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Because Sliver Queen is on the reserve list and people want play her in Commander. 10 years ago before Commander really took off she was a $20 card.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Floppychop posted:

Thank you.

I've been out of the MTG loop for ~10 years and came back around the LotR release. So like for board wipe resistance my mind goes to stuff like Twilight Shepherd instead of more recent options.

Ironically in this case Twilight Shepherd is a really solid addition, probably better for the "protect my poo poo" slot than those more recent options. Everyone gives white a lot of grief for having bad old cards, but honestly the color has some really powerful stuff that's only been held back because of not having decent draw. It's extremely annoying for many decks to deal with Twilight Shepherd, and even better it's a card that lets you casually wipe your own board if you build your deck properly. I haven't made a Giada deck myself, but 20 angels seems a bit low for me - she doesn't do anything on any turn you don't specifically play an angel. I agree with Infidel Castro on cutting most of the healing package from the secret lair, but I'd be trying to push the angel count up to at least 25 and preferably 30. That makes the "tribal" engine of the deck significantly stronger and more consistent, which overall will make up for being a bit less efficient on a per-card basis.

Along with the aforementioned Twilight Shepherd, other great candidates are:
1) Angelic Sleuth (pseudo-card draw, good early play, works with Giada);
2) Angel of Condemnation (the effect is mana-heavy and slow, but it can work both as defense or as removal on a 3-CMC body);
3) Battle Angels of Tyr (another solid 4-drop that helps you build back if behind while pressuring the table if ahead);
4) Serra Paragon (I love white recursion and this opens up abusing sacrifice lands and/or creatures);
5) Angel of Invention (sure, it's "just a body" but it's a good body split into several flying blockers);
6) Angel of Sanctions (don't let people tell you that temporary removal sucks, any removal is good removal and having it on an angel synergizes with everything else Giada wants to do); and
7) Windshaper Planetar (a combat trick? in MY commander game? the audacity!).

Those are far from the only possible ways to go (there's a +1/+1 counter based deck for Giada out there I think), but specifically these angels are good at making a deck more resilient while being lower on the curve (for angels, anyway). If you really want to get sweaty there's also Mirror Entity, the least angel-like angel you can imagine but one that definitely will help close out games.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I pulled a windshaper planetar the other day and I had zero idea the card existed, I've put it in my angel deck (azorius, Errant and Giada up top) and will see how it goes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watching professors video opening a collectors booster box of Doctor Who and we got shafted not just getting collectors versions of the decks. I don't like foils but pretty much all the alt arts are exactly what I was hoping for when set was announced, a variety of art styles and approaches to depicting the setting.

Not about to buy one about it, but if I go for reprints in future decks some of the doctor who alt versions are cool.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Prof doesn't disappoint in his video about building a Commander manabase: https://youtu.be/s9C7JdSRZGc?si=Zu1Ykjd2dN_Nzesk

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm getting back into commander. Making a starscream deck that is going to rely on a lot of weird stuff to win.

I have a whole ton of cards that rely on the number of swamps I have in play, like corrupt. Does mono black have any good ways of ramping basic land cards into the battlefield? Googling ramp just gives me poo poo like dark ritual and other mana ramp instead

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not really. You probably just want Urborg.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

I'm getting back into commander. Making a starscream deck that is going to rely on a lot of weird stuff to win.

I have a whole ton of cards that rely on the number of swamps I have in play, like corrupt. Does mono black have any good ways of ramping basic land cards into the battlefield? Googling ramp just gives me poo poo like dark ritual and other mana ramp instead

If you wanna go ramp Basics in Black your options are: Burnished Hart, Wayfarer's Bauble, Myriad Landscape, and Solemn Simulacrum.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Jarvisi posted:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jarvisi posted:

Sword of the Animist/Bitterthorn also help considerably

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

As everyone else is saying, land ramp in black is basically “what artifacts/colorless sources let me get land onto the battlefield?” because black doesn’t land ramp.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, most land ramp is green, with the occasional white creature or enchantment that lets you search up extra lands if you're behind at least one other player in land drops.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Liliana of the Dark Realms won't ramp you, but she'll let you reliably hit a swamp every single turn.

Whether that's worth a slot and a turn to you is going to depend a lot on the games you play, of course.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jarvisi posted:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=otag%3Atutor-land-to-battlefield+id%3Ab+-t%3Aland+f%3Aedh&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Funny that this pulls Korlash. It fits all the criteria, but isn't exactly going to work in EDH.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Liliana of the Dark Realms won't ramp you, but she'll let you reliably hit a swamp every single turn.

Whether that's worth a slot and a turn to you is going to depend a lot on the games you play, of course.

Likewise, if you really really need a consistent land drop, Journeyer's Kite will get it for you. Don't run that card though.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Thawing Glaciers is how I hit a land drop every turn. Of course, only half of those net me mana, but if your groups games generally go long (and you have lots of basics) it's well worth the slot.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm looking at every garage sale listing within 50 miles of me to see if they're selling any old large MTG collections just to see if I can save money building my IRL EDH decks :negative:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm looking at every garage sale listing within 50 miles of me to see if they're selling any old large MTG collections just to see if I can save money building my IRL EDH decks :negative:

Yeah that season's about over. I usually hit once a year though. Squinting at photos of tables on my phone hoping to see a peek of Magic stuff, even if it's just accessories. I got a few nice Satin Tower deckboxes that way this year.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Picked up some of my slivers from a local card shop, waiting for the rest to arrive in the mail :getin:

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Played 3 games this weekend. The first lasted close to 2 hours for a 5 player game (me: hama pashar dungeons, a bruna voltron, a Dr who commander and 2 others). It was long but pretty chill. I think I need to tune my deck a bit to actually end the game.

Swapped pods for game 2-3 and played against a belbe player who started fine but got quiet salty during the first game and it didn't get better in the second. If you are generating tons of mana a turn and using it I don't think it's unreasonable for people to point removal at you especially if people are feeding your lurking predators. Either case, a teysa burned everyone out looping gary the first game and I won the second with lathril (I luckily had 10 elves to avoid having to block a nessian boar). Admittedly I should have been targeted more but one guy was playing a dr who precon, got mana screwed and would not accept a free land search even after 5 turns of draw, pass, discard.

But enough story time, rules question. Athreos god of passage is not a may ability right? I have to give an opponent the option. I'm thinking of swapping commanders for my teysa deck but if an opponent can just take 3 to break up a loop it makes the deck quite a bit worse.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

MasterBuilder posted:

But enough story time, rules question. Athreos god of passage is not a may ability right? I have to give an opponent the option. I'm thinking of swapping commanders for my teysa deck but if an opponent can just take 3 to break up a loop it makes the deck quite a bit worse.

Correct.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MasterBuilder posted:

Played 3 games this weekend. The first lasted close to 2 hours for a 5 player game (me: hama pashar dungeons, a bruna voltron, a Dr who commander and 2 others). It was long but pretty chill. I think I need to tune my deck a bit to actually end the game.

I overheard someone at the game store yesterday saying "every player beyond 4 adds an hour" and I believe it. "One more board wipe, one more counter," etc. etc.

I built a deck around Yenna, Redtooth Regent. Bought the WOE Virtue & Valor pre-con and swapped in a bunch of stuff from my collection. It played quite well! Partially because I was able to get Smothering Tithe out on curve... then copy it the next turn. The original deck had 22 auras, after my cuts it's at 20, once those started copying around and untapping Yenna and scrying? It's ridiculous. A bunch of aura based removal, Darksteel Mutation, Ossification, etc. Yenna can double those up too.

The best aura was Songbird's Blessing. When it attacks, reveal from the top until another Aura, put it on the battlefield. Yenna duped it onto another creature, was pulling 2 more auras a turn from that.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I personally loathe 5 player games, they're always incredibly awkward and I would prefer to just sit out and watch/wait for more people to show up to the LGS to play.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I want to try Gunslinger sometime? That seems fun and unique and worth a shot. But otherwise yeah I'll just sit and comment on a 4-player game, much better than trying to lean over the table or yell out to ask what a card does.

I meant to ask, do folks like Infinitoken? The Yenna copy deck was fun but having 3 "Copy" tokens didn't really help me when there were 15 auras in play. I think that deck needs a better solution and I'm debating having markers around my nice cards versus something ridiculous like having proxy copies of the auras in the deck.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JawnV6 posted:

I want to try Gunslinger sometime? That seems fun and unique and worth a shot. But otherwise yeah I'll just sit and comment on a 4-player game, much better than trying to lean over the table or yell out to ask what a card does.

I meant to ask, do folks like Infinitoken? The Yenna copy deck was fun but having 3 "Copy" tokens didn't really help me when there were 15 auras in play. I think that deck needs a better solution and I'm debating having markers around my nice cards versus something ridiculous like having proxy copies of the auras in the deck.

I keep a pile of these around for keeping track of specific kinds of counters, doing quick math, everyone votes on a thing at the same time, or some random token that doesn't come up often enough to keep an actual token around for.

https://www.amazon.com/LotFancy-Playing-Reusable-Vocabulary-Learning/dp/B07QV77ZX7/

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

I really like my infinitokens and think they were a good buy - they make clarifying game states super easy (both your own stuff and others), you can lean into the drawing bad (or good?) art aspect as much or as little as you like, and the reusable nature keeps things nicely compact and trash-free (i.e. no need for hauling around a big box of tokens you might want)

they've received positive compliments on several occasions, and I keep them with a pen or two in the photography bag I use for transporting magic stuff at all times

I'd also describe having proxy copies of the cards in the deck made more as "moderately decadent" than truly ridiculous - I wouldn't do it for a deck I didn't love (and have a pretty set list of cards for), but it's not like it's particularly hard to put an order to MPC together and ~$0.10-23/token (depending on cardstock/double-siding and assuming you're doing a full order) isn't particularly outrageous as far as gaming accessories are concerned

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Infinitokens are cool because if someone draws a really nice one you can throw it in a sleeve and it'll usually not get erased and then you've got a cool little piece of art someone you played with drew.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Postmodern Video Games posted:

Infinitokens are cool because if someone draws a really nice one you can throw it in a sleeve and it'll usually not get erased and then you've got a cool little piece of art someone you played with drew.

That is a really cool idea. Never thought of that.

I’m going to my local group meetup tonight. Bringing a Tivit brew. It’s the highest power deck I’ve ever brought so fingers crossed it goes over well. The mana base and the rocks are proxies. Everyone is pretty cool with proxies and the general power level hovers around 8 at most pods, but I’ve never seen anyone proxy rocks.

I don’t feel great about Displacer Kitten and Containment Priest in the same list. I was also trying to fit Urza in the deck but gave up and have what I have. It’s definitely not a final list and I don’t have the money or cards to go all in on turbo so it’s kind of a hodge podge. If I had an Ad Nauseam that would be the next add.

Idk. It’s essentially budget cedh. I’ll bring other decks in case the rule 0 conversation goes sideways.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I use sticky notes personally. Same idea as infinitokens, but cheaper (free for me because I grab a pad or two from the office every month).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Amazon scuffed my order for my card sleeves and binder :mad:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can order a pack of 160 dry erase playing cards for like $11 online

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The ones on Amazon are thin garbage that doesn't last... but also you have 150 more thin garbage ones that don't last so you should be fine for a long time.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was also ordering a deck box, so it was more about buying a bunch of things at the sametime, but basically they lost my order. I think I'll just swing by a MTG shop on my hiking route and just buy directly.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

kung fu jive posted:

That is a really cool idea. Never thought of that.

I’m going to my local group meetup tonight. Bringing a Tivit brew. It’s the highest power deck I’ve ever brought so fingers crossed it goes over well. The mana base and the rocks are proxies. Everyone is pretty cool with proxies and the general power level hovers around 8 at most pods, but I’ve never seen anyone proxy rocks.

I don’t feel great about Displacer Kitten and Containment Priest in the same list. I was also trying to fit Urza in the deck but gave up and have what I have. It’s definitely not a final list and I don’t have the money or cards to go all in on turbo so it’s kind of a hodge podge. If I had an Ad Nauseam that would be the next add.

Idk. It’s essentially budget cedh. I’ll bring other decks in case the rule 0 conversation goes sideways.

I mean yeah, that's basically a competitively oriented tivit list that's missing some of the more expensive (and, unfortunately, impactful) cards and has a few fun picks in their place, but you're close enough it's probably worth eventually proxying them if people in the group are cool with it (as most cEDH oriented people are) and just making it the best version of that deck it can be

containment and displacer is splitting the difference between slight stax/combo oriented leanings but you control timing and displacer is a "may" (or rather "up to") so there's really no downside - urza is also great but isn't an auto-include in all lists

if you look at competitive tivit lists you'll see that most don't run ad nauseum, because it's not really a turbo deck - you have the fast thoracle lines that all UB decks run and the chance to mana explode into an early sieve combo or w/e, but you're playing adaptively and the deck wins as often as it does in part because it typically tries to combo off second after everyone else has spent their resources preventing the first combo attempt (which you're quite well positioned to disrupt yourself)

LGD fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 17, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aphrodite posted:

The ones on Amazon are thin garbage that doesn't last... but also you have 150 more thin garbage ones that don't last so you should be fine for a long time.

Bingo

Also it's really fun to see what people draw for their tokens and ill sleeve up some of the better or funnier ones.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

You can order a pack of 160 dry erase playing cards for like $11 online

I get blank non-dry erase ones and draw whenever I need tokens for a deck. It's fun to build a collection of tokens this way and easier than searching a box of bulk for specific tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I made labeled dividers out of index cards for my tokens. I've gotten compliments for how organized they are, lol.

I printed tokens at work and put them in clear sleeves with a card in between.