Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Captain Invictus posted:

holy poo poo at the latest Faraway Paladin

I guess I did not realize that Will has apparently infinite reincarnations, he just moves on to another world. or Valacirca is talking poo poo, which is also equally likely. but man, Valacirca is such a bastard. I am really curious as to why he stated he would finish off Will's companions if he refused to serve, and then didn't do so as soon as Will said no.

I believe its been mentioned before, but its just the concept of the cycle of reincarnation. You lose all your memories and reincarnate in the next life. Will should have lost all his memories, but Gracefeel let him keep them. Re-read chapter 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tunicate posted:

Decided to check top russian webnovel list and

A+ title, no notes.

Finally, a good webnovel.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

NinjaDebugger posted:

Definitely the best in manga, at least until we get a manga adaptation of The Deed of Paksenarrion. Then I'd be hard pressed to choose.

Ooh yeah, I’d take that if it’s on offer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nalin posted:

I believe its been mentioned before, but its just the concept of the cycle of reincarnation. You lose all your memories and reincarnate in the next life. Will should have lost all his memories, but Gracefeel let him keep them. Re-read chapter 11.

And there’s no indication Gracefeel would let him keep them again either. Especially if he intentionally suicided for that purpose

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nalin posted:

That's actually a question is if it's really isekai if they go through reincarnation because there are a lot of manhuas that go through this.

What about Earth being invaded by portals/dungeons and people get powers to take care of them.

Also time travel and waking up in the past with just knowledge and/or powers and knowledge. There is one manhua I am reading where the MC is killed by an S rank evil guy and finally knows what his ability is: whenever he is killed, he goes back 24 hours.

He then proceeds to go waaaaay back in time via this method. He is suspected of being a criminal by another heros power that shows the number of people a player killed and MC is sitting at thousands upon thousands of kills but it's all himself.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 5, 2023

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I ignored SSS Rank Suicide Hunter for the longest time because of the name but it's actually decent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guyver posted:

I ignored SSS Rank Suicide Hunter for the longest time because of the name but it's actually decent.

Marketing works, I have also been ignoring that story because the title is awful

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

EVIL Gibson posted:

There is one manhua I am reading where the MC is killed by an S rank evil guy and finally knows what his ability is: whenever he is killed, he goes back 24 hours.

He then proceeds to go waaaaay back in time via this method. He is suspected of being a criminal by another heros power that shows the number of people a player killed and MC is sitting at thousands upon thousands of kills but it's all himself.
What’s the title of this one? Sounds like it could be interesting.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Antitonic posted:

What’s the title of this one? Sounds like it could be interesting.

SSS-rank suicide hunter :v:

It's good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still a regression power fantasy, but it's also weirdly melancholy in a good way.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the setup was decent, but was not a big fan of the 2nd power he gets and stopped there with the ghost guy

also am i alone in thinking that the guy he takes the returner power from and kills wasn't really in the wrong? i mean he was probably betrayed and 'killed' multiple times, don't blame him. he honestly acts like most other returner characters who are usually the main character

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That villain does the same stuff in terms of hoarding all the power to himself, but he also kills random innocents when it's convenient so he's not very sympathetic.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
SSS-Rank Suicide Hunter is one of my absolute favorites. Seriously, ignore the name as much as you can. You can call it a power fantasy, but it's a power fantasy where he seeks to understand everyone and to create the happiest ending through avoiding and minimizing conflict. And I appreciate that the initially understated "he killed himself over a thousand times" gets returned to and examined as part of a general pattern of unhealthy self-sacrifice that he needs to work on and overcome, because he can't keep taking all the burden of that happy ending on his own shoulders. (Web Novel version spoilers, up to the current translated part) To the point that eventually, his main goal is to reach out to someone who took that path to its furthest extreme and prove to her that the world doesn't need her self-sacrifice.

Both the webtoon and the original web novel are great and well worth reading, at least up to the current translation. (Can't speak to the parts beyond that just yet.)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

there's a fundamental difference in it that puts it way above other types of series about that kinda thing which is that even with the power fantasy of regression it places value in the lives of others and never reduces them to tools or toys because they're weak or irrelevant, which is the usual faire of the genre as a whole - there's normally a lot of might makes right vibes in the stuff the godawful title invokes but the series goes out of it's way to constantly rebuke that through how things tend to be resolved

the part with his masters is surprisingly super moving, and kind of a compact expression of the ethos the series tries to keep consistent

it also retroactively makes a somewhat grating character way better by a lot which is always nice

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 5, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I just started reading it and yeah while the power fantasy part is pretty front and center it also feels like the comic is interested in making a well-told story than just jerking the protagonist off.

Also it's actually pretty funny!

e: I just got to the floor 12 chapter and I think I'm officially sold

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 5, 2023

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Holy poo poo that comic is so good, i had things to do today but instead just binged a bucket of chapters welp

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Reminds me of how I ignored Mob Psycho 100 for the longest time. What, there's a psychopath in the mob? And he killed a hundred people or something? I like OPM but ehhhh.

Then after a few episodes of the animation, of course I read the whole thing.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
im hot and cold with Surviving the Game as a Barbarian. MC doesn't seem very OP and always seem the underdog, so has to use wit and schemes to survive.
but its tiring when the rest of the world has 'idiotic jerk' syndrome where they have to act like assholes like an illness to bother the MC when most of the time if they just ignore him, they wouldn't keep getting owned. Granted, I know it is the formula, but wish it had more fitness. Since its a dungeon crawling/adventurer guild setting setting, its literally all there is.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
My main curiosity when it comes to that one is whether it continues to be full of DCSS references. Does Sigmund show up? Orc priests? Death yaks?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Fereydun posted:

there's a fundamental difference in it that puts it way above other types of series about that kinda thing which is that even with the power fantasy of regression it places value in the lives of others and never reduces them to tools or toys because they're weak or irrelevant, which is the usual faire of the genre as a whole - there's normally a lot of might makes right vibes in the stuff the godawful title invokes but the series goes out of it's way to constantly rebuke that through how things tend to be resolved

the part with his masters is surprisingly super moving, and kind of a compact expression of the ethos the series tries to keep consistent

it also retroactively makes a somewhat grating character way better by a lot which is always nice

Having just started the series thanks to this thread, I agree. I tend to burn out quick on a lot of these regression (and regression-adjacent) stories because so many of the main characters are sociopaths who can't play nicely with other characters, even when it is in their best interest to cooperate. Just pointless aloofness so that the story can continue the same old "might makes right, need a strong man making hard decisions" story lines.

Also chapter 50 where he can see what genre of book everyone likes was amazing.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
thank god for this thread because Im in the same camp of having dismissed it completely by the name, then binged the whole thing after reading the recommendation posts

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I find it very refreshing to see a story I wrote off because of the title was actually exactly the type of story that I'm absolutely a fan of and wish I could find more often. It both reminds me of Saike Mata Shite mo- which is not an isekai but does have the same power set for the MC- and makes me want to ask if anyone else is reading anything with a terrible name that you're like 'Okay, I know the title is bad but trust me'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kill the dragon is like ender's game, except good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Put me down as another person who saw a title like SSS Ranked Suicide Hunter, dismissed the story entirely, but reading it after the thread recommended it realize that it's actually great. I'd agree with blizzardvizard that floor 12 is where the story hit it's stride for me. which isn't to say that using Orc language to scumbag murder those monsters, nor liberating the cursed dolls of floor 10 didn't already sell me on the series. But I think the secret sauce here was rounding out the cast with properly showcasing the personalities of the guild leaders and the conflict of the traitor. Subsequently seeing the Black Dragon leader melt over each decreased casualty report was unfair of the author and the MC completely screwing over the intended route are what really got me rooting for him.

That the story also is fine with changing it's genre keeps it fresh as well. I was absolutetly rooting for the Murim arc when the book got introduced and I got rewarded with a surprisingly moody training arc. I think it's in relation to what has been going down in Jujutsu Kaisen, but this arc hit a lot harder for me because the very ending where the Sword Emperor refutes the more cynical and apparently lonely worldview of the Heavenly Demon and proclaiming that the MC can't only focus on negativity to be powerful. That her most powerful attack in the verbal battle is contradicted by the companionship she had with the Martial Alliance leader, as well as the Sword Emperor just ultimately being vastly more powerful in himself. It was just nice to see the story acknowledge that bonds and negativity don't make people weaker, but at the same time without making the lessons the heavenly demon taught Confucious moot since he can push the demonic techniques further as he becomes a more rounded person and experiences the highs of life not just the lows.

Gonna start season 3's plotline today but I want to highlight probably the best part of the start to the floor 21+ intro

Pharmacist going super hard once she realizes she outclasses the other alchemist is my jam. :boom: that motherfucker and rub salt in the wound he deserved that. That transition from incredibly nervous to supreme confidence was what she needed.

Nemo2342 posted:

Also chapter 50 where he can see what genre of book everyone likes was amazing.
The story makes great usage of status windows and the visual novel vision the MC gets has been nothing short of inspired. So many great little moments; It's a pity the story didn't do a whole lot more with Viper because seeing that he's the kind of guy into trashy isekai got me excited to see him featured in the Murim Arc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay I've finally managed to get my words in order after figuring out what my ideal story outline is.

I just want a classic/old school/generic/take your pick/ superhero story. I want a protagonist that regardless of why, be it naturally like; Kirby, Dante, Sun Wukong, Sonic. Accidentally like The Flash, Ben 10, Blue Beetle, Spider-Man. Or they train for them like Ryu, Goku, Tanjiro, Roronoa Zoro, decides they're going to use it for good.

However it happens I just want them to:
Know that they have an incredible gift.
Be aware of it not oblivious to that fact.
Turn to the camera with a malicious smile and say 'I can help so many people now'
Bonus points if they make a team as well instead of keeping things a one-man show. That one's mostly for time traveling or reincarnation stories though.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

RareAcumen posted:

I find it very refreshing to see a story I wrote off because of the title was actually exactly the type of story that I'm absolutely a fan of and wish I could find more often. It both reminds me of Saike Mata Shite mo- which is not an isekai but does have the same power set for the MC- and makes me want to ask if anyone else is reading anything with a terrible name that you're like 'Okay, I know the title is bad but trust me'

This is why I read every book and do not judge it by its cover. I am over the moon people are getting into it.

I do not suggest anything in this thread and would not unless the book is like 100+ chapters into the story. Also that it is filthy of bookmarked chapters that I loved.

About the story, the most significant part that truly hit me hard was the winter training where he has to truly understand starvation and the master looking into his eyes and seeing he truly got it was a good part. Like, yes, you truly understand what I am. How horrible looking forward to eating cookies made of dirt is the worst place a human can be in.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, I feel the character building, humour, and general denouncement of the 'psychopath hyper hunter' archetype that's endemic in the genre is what really sold me on the whole thing.
(The Poker scene is the thing that made the entire thing land for me. The other characters being smart enough to realize what was going on, as opposed to being brainless cheerleaders that clap because the MC does something impressive/interesting.)
(Can you tell I'm annoyed by the 'MC spouts factoid from guidebook, local says 'wow u kno so much, mr mc. you must be very learned indeed to know something from the first paragraph of our great nation's wikipedia article.' trope?)

I imagine a lot of it is Reaper scans doing an absolutely amazing translation of it, too. And I wonder how much effort they go into redoing jokes and puns to work with the character personalities, like this one:
A terrible, great line, delivered with a straight face.

It does make me wonder how many series truly suffer due to poor translations though, many a time have I stumbled over series where I just pause out, because the already wooden characters are just utterly emotionless and devoid of personality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finally got around to reading some of the Faraway Paladin manga (haven't read any of the web novel it's based on).

It's good! Not very far yet, but I appreciate that it has a protagonist with actual important parental figures.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I read some of the SSS Suicide Hero WN because im a terrible addict, and the story stays strong through the next two arcs at least. Third arc after has some ~*slavery elements*~ and does it absolute justice (aka smashes it immediately and with slave agency too)

Tossed that behind spoiler tags in case, but its a pretty obvious plot development for the thing i bring up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the latest chapter(45) is one of my favorite chapters of Is It Odd That I Became an Adventurer Even If I Graduated From the Witchcraft Institute?

will is the best

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GateOfD posted:

im hot and cold with Surviving the Game as a Barbarian. MC doesn't seem very OP and always seem the underdog, so has to use wit and schemes to survive.
but its tiring when the rest of the world has 'idiotic jerk' syndrome where they have to act like assholes like an illness to bother the MC when most of the time if they just ignore him, they wouldn't keep getting owned. Granted, I know it is the formula, but wish it had more fitness. Since its a dungeon crawling/adventurer guild setting setting, its literally all there is.

I've been following it and there are some reasons for this happening. One is that basically the world itself is... gone, the only way to get resources for survival for society as a whole is through the dungeon and harvesting the monsters. To the point where they will execute anyone who doesn't pay enough taxes each year, taxes which go up... each year. Add to that the fact that there is a black market that pays a lot of money for the hearts of Barbarians, and people might see him as just another resource to harvest.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't been keeping up with SSS Suicide Hunter, but as of the last arc I remember (the Murim arc), I feel like it has a big problem of just kind of... forgetting that other people exist for long stretches. Like, he goes to the Murim world with the doctors and stuff, so you'd think they'd get a lot of a character development now that they're in focus, but actually no they're pretty much irrelevant and instead he spends a billion chapters in a kind of solipsist world where only he exists. Oh, and the person he just met in this arc and will never meet again. Which is kinda exactly what happened in the previous big arc too? The basic problem is that using his power resets the development of every single other character, and no matter how much he says he respects them they just sort of become pawns in his game that eventually get shoved offscreen because they can only ever do the same things over and over again (because he's resetting time). Like, theoretically he is interacting with them over and over again every time he resets time, but after the first few times they don't even bother to show it, so those characters may as well not exist except insofar as they do exactly what he tells them to (because he figured out how to convince them X loops ago).

It's just kind of frustrating.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 8, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Clarste posted:

I haven't been keeping up with SSS Suicide Hunter, but as of the last arc I remember (the Murim arc), I feel like it has a big problem of just kind of... forgetting that other people exist for long stretches. Like, he goes to the Murim world with the doctors and stuff, so you'd think they'd get a lot of a character development now that they're in focus, but actually no they're pretty much irrelevant and instead he spends a billion chapters in a kind of solipsist world where only he exists. Oh, and the person he just met in this arc and will never meet again. Which is kinda exactly what happened in the previous big arc too? The basic problem is that using his power resets the development of every single other character, and no matter how much he says he respects them they just sort of become pawns in his game that eventually get shoved offscreen because they can only ever do the same things over and over again (because he's resetting time). Like, theoretically he is interacting with them over and over again every time he resets time, but after the first few times they don't even bother to show it, so those characters may as well not exist except insofar as they do exactly what he tells them to (because he figured out how to convince them X loops ago).

It's just kind of frustrating.

It wasn't as frustrating for me but it was definitely more outstanding compared to the previous arc. The MC is the one ultimately keeping record of any progress and dispersing that information to other characters who are amazed at his foresight with very few hard questions as to how he knows what he knows. It's just more obvious when he's giving people their own research notes and they just look at him like "wow, this is exactly how I'd write something like this" and it's basically a joke after the first time. As I'd said previously, I expected there to be more done with Viper who was still the least featured of the guild leaders but ultimately he kind of just gets grandfathered into becoming a pupil of the Martial Alliance leader purely because of the MC's actions with the Heavenly Demon and does nothing else but stalemate a fight I think the strength of the previous arc and the current arc is how the MC can explore other characters even while resetting their progress. The entire arc with Marcus is a good example of that because even knowing what was going to happen Marcus still came across as having agency and opposing the MC's deviations as well. Another would be seeing the facade drop for the Black Dragon Guild Leader. The MC also does straight up abandon his crew at multiple points during that arc for his own training and repeated looping which further differentiates from the previous one where even if the loops are only implied, we know he's working with other people each time.

Ultimately the story is still a power fantasy where the MC is the only true force of change and everyone else is going to be towed along for the ride. For me, the story really does need someone that can perceive time loops in my opinion beyond the MC's sword and ghost. I actually expected the librarian to be capable of perceiving the loops in time through some book logic or because he's a constellation but the fact that he was unaware was disappointing. Even if it was just so he could snipe at the MC or be coy it would have been something. Also, Marcus' death count power probably should have been a greater source of conflict because the MC's number might jump up by hundreds within a single moment going from his perspective. The MC can only rewind time for 24 hours so one second prior to that his number might be 4100 but then it would jump to 4200 from marcus' viewpoint for no reason. It would be nice if he could actually confide in others the true source of his foresight as well. Make them willing participants and not just jokes like the alchemist and boomer alchemist

A solo quest for the MC can work as was the case for the floor 10 raid. But when there are other non-NPC characters the author shouldn't neglect them as much as they did for the Murim arc. So far the current arc hasn't done this but the MC also hasn't had to reset but the one time to avoid the bad end from the previous group where he wasn't present.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I couldn't find a thread dedicated specifically to it, and I didn't really care to, so I'm posting my hot take here: Mushoku Tensei loving sucks. I liked maybe a little over half of what I saw in the first season, but I just don't care for anything in the second season at all. Everything about it just seems loving stupid and lame to me. Am I just getting out of touch or is it actually bad?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's just another trash isekai with a sex offender protagonist.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gologle posted:

I couldn't find a thread dedicated specifically to it, and I didn't really care to, so I'm posting my hot take here: Mushoku Tensei loving sucks. I liked maybe a little over half of what I saw in the first season, but I just don't care for anything in the second season at all. Everything about it just seems loving stupid and lame to me. Am I just getting out of touch or is it actually bad?

Given that the solution to a female characters over the top horniness is to wear a pair of magic panties powered by the MC using them as a cum rag, no it really IS that loving bad. The reason it's popular(outside the lavish adaption) is because it was one of the very first narou isekai to get an actual scanlation to the west that was actually legible to my understanding.

Schubalts posted:

It's just another trash isekai with a sex offender protagonist.

This too yes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gologle posted:

No it's actually bad. It got a really high-end studio to animate it and it was one of the first of its genre so it's more popular than it has any right to be. Anything good about it is balanced out by some creepy poo poo Rudy pulls and he frankly never improves or grows out of it.

Even the original author has apologized for its creepy parts iirc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It helps that the series pre-dates the ossification of the genre tropes, so the plot isn't rote, and that Rudy isn't the fulcrum of the universe or a walking WMD.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I watched the first season of MT because I thought based on the quality of the animation and the hype that it would be a story about a real piece of poo poo learning to be better, but then that didn't really happen and I've been told it doesn't happen so I dropped it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The only good thing about MT is how much effort has gone into animating it and voicing it. Everything about the overall plot sucks.