Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Found out the other day that most, if not all, UK police forces allow you to send them dashcam footage and I might send them the thing I recorded last night on my way home from work. I'd post it here but their page for reporting says you can't post it on the internet and I've no idea how serious they are about that.

Just wait to post it until you get word back on whether they take action or not. I see a lot of footage captured by cyclists and they'll often mention if the driver received punishment or was forced to take classes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do narc on horribly dangerous drivers because they might kill someone with their antics, please
this is different from narcing on people for like, taking drugs or being very poor in public or some other victimless pursuit, where you can mind your own business

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm not for narcing (to the police) on people taking drugs because it doesn't help... but calling it a victimless pursuit is a bit strong.

Narc on that driver though. They were probably on their phone when they missed the red light.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PSA: take into account shape and size with regard to which cam you get and where it will be placed. I already had this Thinkware that they gave me after my last one stopped recording in the middle of an accident but I was hoping to use it in my Mustang and I bought a Vantrue that I was going to use in my Bronco but the Vantrue just didn't fit at all in this spot, too thick and too long whereas this Thinkware is more narrow and tall and is completely hidden behind the mirror.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New dashcam of italy vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZzrgn-pXyc

This time with a few dukes of hazzard clips

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Tell me what I want to do!

Currently I have a Viofo A119 (v1? s? something like that) from like 2017. I pulled the video off and realized that the caps are busted and it's not writing the videos off correctly after powering down. Cam has worked very well until now, and we've even used it a few times. (Most recent idiot on a spyder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muwqiXDur94 -- Yes, he was alive, and was fighting tooth and nail NOT to get carried off by the ambulance). However, with the cam not working as expected, it's time to replace it. I know the Viofo is a commonly recommended dashcam, but I was wondering if there was anything else that we could look at in the way of an upgrade. I'm debating taking her to a dual camera, which means I'll probably have to upgrade the current USB from Mini B to whatever they're using (Probably won't be lucky enough for a C).

Any other options out there? I'm much less worried about price than I used to be, but the A119 has been pretty good to me, so may stay in that family unless there's something considerably better.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Gothmog1065 posted:

Tell me what I want to do!

I like my Viofo. Get another one, imo.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

How is the Viofo user experience? I've had blackvue for a while, but now they've bloated the hell out of their app. Is it reasonably easy to get a clip off the camera if you're on the side of the road with just your phone?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i just pull the card if i need to but i honestly never need to do that

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Deeters posted:

How is the Viofo user experience? I've had blackvue for a while, but now they've bloated the hell out of their app. Is it reasonably easy to get a clip off the camera if you're on the side of the road with just your phone?

The app blows. It takes a long time to pull clips. Always use the SD card into a computer, it's way faster.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I figured the wifi was slow. It'd be nice to easily pull a clip onto my phone, like on the side of the road after an accident. So maybe I'll keep a small card reader I can hook to my phone in the glove box.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Deeters posted:

I figured the wifi was slow. It'd be nice to easily pull a clip onto my phone, like on the side of the road after an accident. So maybe I'll keep a small card reader I can hook to my phone in the glove box.

I was able to do that while waiting for the police to show up after an accident. It took several minutes to copy the 90 second video via WiFi, but then again, police reaction time is way slower than that.

I've done that more than once, on multiple phones, and every connection had its own set of unique issues. Like having to turn off mobile data completely on one device, and tinker with WiFi settings on another. I recommend you figure out those details before you actually have to.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My phone came with a usb-c to usb-a connector. I bet if you put an SD card reader into the port it would work very well.

The poster above is right: figure this out before you need to. Pull clips a few times just for practice and fun.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Any real reason to get the A119 Mini 2 over the A119v3? I already have the older v1, so it already has the power supply, but wasn't sure if the mini2 had some super feature that the other didn't. I see it's got a better lens, plus voice capabilities, etc, but any reason I'm completely missing beyond that?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those all sound like upgrade-worthy features

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ITbyjZ8iZQ

Honorable mention for the idiot at 07:24 that brought my town in the series(you can reliably overtake that bus line in 400 meters from that roundabout) or the 🐍 at 09:50

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 17, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p1wTn6RjIo

Lots of people not giving any gently caress about being on the wrong side of the road.

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now
First drive after I installed the memory card. I should turn off the GPS and that scooter guy was invisible to me until I was in the crosswalk.

https://i.imgur.com/eB6sQW6.mp4

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I clicked on the video fully expecting to see you killing the scooter guy

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Somebody done hosed up and swiped at least 3 cars down the street from my place:

https://i.imgur.com/MhPfKmu.mp4

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
As someone who walked out to hit and run body damage, I say gently caress that guy

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wtf, just the aftermath? i am not entertained. i want carnage.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Go back there and hit that car yourself!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Go back there and hit that car yourself!

*taps username*

We should all strive to drive the same way you dance :angel:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p1wTn6RjIo

Lots of people not giving any gently caress about being on the wrong side of the road.

I like that Italians seem to know even less than Americans how to drive in a roundabout

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p1wTn6RjIo&t=608s is very pretty, how can you be in a rush to get through that

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwkU1rEacI

Tamer than the last few ones both in content and swearing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

anyone got a dashcam on their Bolt? anything that's recommended?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

anyone got a dashcam on their Bolt? anything that's recommended?

Do you think Bolt specific dash cam should be any different than any other?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Do you think Bolt specific dash cam should be any different than any other?

no, I guess what would be the suggestion then? Ive looked at a few general suggestions online and only the 4k cameras look the least amount of rear end photo quality

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Last I saw most people were recommending either the A119 or A129 for good value single cams. They're also listed in the recommendations from r/dashcam.

In general, with a dashcam you want to focus more on single frame quality rather than framerate, the idea being that it's easier to pull a clear image of a license plate with 2-4k at 30fps than 1080 at 60fps.

vvv
Also a good point about leaving audio recording on, for just that reason.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 7, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
License plates can be very difficult for even the best cam to see. My procedure is to turn the mic on and call out the license plate with NATO phonetics and save the clip.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPX7iv0AvH0

This was annoying. Yes I ran the red light pretty badly, but then the truck to my left had to swerve into my (unmarked) outer turn lane to avoid the steamrollers, which left me stranded in the middle of the intersection like an rear end in a top hat. No flaggers or anything, just steamrollers asserting their dominance. The guy on my left only ran the yellow and the steamrollers were already crossing into oncoming traffic.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Content for the dash cam thread

https://youtube.com/shorts/0WAFDytgcNU?si=QyUR5QXMTaxsf-c1

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CornHolio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPX7iv0AvH0

This was annoying. Yes I ran the red light pretty badly, but then the truck to my left had to swerve into my (unmarked) outer turn lane to avoid the steamrollers, which left me stranded in the middle of the intersection like an rear end in a top hat. No flaggers or anything, just steamrollers asserting their dominance. The guy on my left only ran the yellow and the steamrollers were already crossing into oncoming traffic.

Law of tonnage. You might be dead right, but you're still squished.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Dashcam Thread: Yes I ran the red light pretty badly, but

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

We call it the "gently caress you I'm a bus" factor

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Always heard it as the, "lug nut law". If it has more lug nuts than you, you lose. Win instead by staying alive.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t run red lights

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bird with big dick posted:

Don’t run red lights

In front of steam rollers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

everyone on the road, including you, is putting everyone else around them in literal mortal peril all the time and we mustnt forget that

well, everyone driving. hence the moral heirarchy of pedestrian > cyclist > motorcyclist > driver