Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

New interview with the director and producer of Reload. I'm not gonna post the whole thing, but I did laugh at this snippet:

quote:

First, I’d like to ask about the new element in battle: Theurgy. This is a mechanic that was not present in the original version of Persona 3. What was the idea behind implementing it?

Yamaguchi: The motivation behind it was that we felt that the “1MORE” system introduced in the series from Persona 3 onwards wasn’t fully utilized in boss battles. When players face regular enemies, it’s often easy to exploit their weaknesses and knock them down for an All-Out Attack. However, during boss battles, it can be challenging to hit weaknesses and, even when you do, they might not be knocked down. We wanted to introduce more dynamic in these situations.

Lmao, they finally figured out the main problem with 1 More

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Came here to post: Someone (can't find it maybe it was a different thread) made a joke about Mitsuru's theurgy gauge charging every time she cast Marin Karin, and welp:

[quote]

that interview posted:

Yamaguchi: In the past, the basic approach in combat was to target the enemy’s weaknesses first and, if that wasn’t possible, resort to regular attacks as a safe option. In this game, for example, if you’re using Mitsuru and can’t exploit a weakness, you might instead consider trying to inflict status ailments to build up the Theurgy gauge.

"Trying" being the operative word.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have no idea why you'd assume people were joking when they suggested that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like it when games make status effects useful.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have no idea why you'd assume people were joking when they suggested that.

Since pre-P3P, Mitsuru's AI constantly casting Marin Karin/Tentarafoo and missing all the time was a running joke about the game. And the actual post was worded jokingly, I think it must have been in the million page long RPG or general chat thread instead of this one.

Clarste posted:

Etrian is the king of this IMO, though maybe due to influence from the EO developers they also broke the game over its knee in SMT5.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 28, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

In Persona that has largely been limited to stat buffs/debuffs, which is admittedly more than most games (other than I think FFXIII/XIII-2). There's maybe the Fortune/Strength boss, and that's it?

There's probably some level of balancing involved since you don't want Panic to just melt away boss difficulty (looking at you Persona Q1), but if they can utilize some 'weaker' status effects like how P5R went much heavier in on Technical hits, maybe.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

In Persona that has largely been limited to stat buffs/debuffs, which is admittedly more than most games (other than I think FFXIII/XIII-2). There's maybe the Fortune/Strength boss, and that's it?

There's probably some level of balancing involved since you don't want Panic to just melt away boss difficulty (looking at you Persona Q1), but if they can utilize some 'weaker' status effects like how P5R went much heavier in on Technical hits, maybe.

Buffs/debuffs in Persona are pretty weak compared to mainline SMT where they have always been really OP.
In P3 FES The Answer I remember status effects being balanced very good against the bosses but other than that don't remember seeing much use for them. I think post-P3 incentivizes knocking down enemies and all-out attacks so much that spending turns on status effects and such feels sub-optimal, though yeah things like the Technicals in P5 are an attempt to make status effects more viable.

Now enemy status effects on the other hand, back in original P3/FES when the MC would get hit with them and none of the other characters would lift a finger to help him...

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Item Getter posted:

Buffs/debuffs in Persona are pretty weak compared to mainline SMT where they have always been really OP.
In P3 FES The Answer I remember status effects being balanced very good against the bosses but other than that don't remember seeing much use for them. I think post-P3 incentivizes knocking down enemies and all-out attacks so much that spending turns on status effects and such feels sub-optimal, though yeah things like the Technicals in P5 are an attempt to make status effects more viable.

Status effects in Persona 5 Royal are pretty much needed on Merciless after Shido's ship. About half the shadows after that point have no weaknesses to set up knockdowns. And hit hard.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Item Getter posted:

Since pre-P3P, Mitsuru's AI constantly casting Marin Karin/Tentarafoo and missing all the time was a running joke about the game. And the actual post was worded jokingly, I think it must have been in the million page long RPG or general chat thread instead of this one.

Oh no I get the reference, I just thought it was obvious that if every party member gets a bonus from certain actions, Mitsuru's would be from using status movies.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
So many of the bosses near the end of Tarturus are just jacked to the tits on "1/2" or "nil" that it feels pointlessly tedious rather than difficult, and the 1 more system is a huge part of that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1707798856946298970

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I give no fucks until you can give him a bath

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

DLC....maybe

Mostly glad I can spend time walking Koro instead of my usual stat or SL grinding.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Take my money.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Can You Pet The Dog is one of my favourite Twitter accounts and the undeniable effect it's had on video games is outstanding to me.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABgpefaNKKo

we know what the new burn my dread sounds like now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol it sounds way more like "burn my bread" now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

For some reason my eyes initially registered this as "until you can give him death" and I was thinking "well that's a bit uncalled for"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

How does the Switch port of Persona 5 run on both docked and undocked modes? I picked up 4 for something to kill time in the summer before school started and ended up enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting. It's been great for fixing up my sleep since I can undock the Switch and pass out in bed while doing some dungeon crawling, and now that I'm almost done I'm considering getting P5 to keep my routine going. If it wasn't for the sleep thing I'd just get the PC port.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s pretty much indistinguishable from the PS4 version. It doesn’t run at 60 FPS like the next-gen versions, but there’s nothing wrong with it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've played through the entire game both docked and undocked with no issues. It's a well done port; I'm pretty sure they actually scaled the graphics back a skosh to keep it performing.

E: maybe it's even just the framerate, I haven't seen a lot of the PS4 version

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

As long as the framerate is consistent/constant I'll be happy. I'd prefer 60fps and lower quality everything else, but I get that it's a PS4 game compared to the PS2-era Persona 4 so that would be asking a bit much.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Mix. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABgpefaNKKo

we know what the new burn my dread sounds like now

BMD and the new VAs both sound :discourse: to me

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Crunchyroll has the first two parts of the P5 stage play on demand. I wouldn’t be able to sit through the whole thing (well maybe irl), but it seems quite well done. I liked the casting. The weirdest thing was honestly getting used to the MC having a personality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Crunchyroll has the first two parts of the P5 stage play on demand. I wouldn’t be able to sit through the whole thing (well maybe irl), but it seems quite well done. I liked the casting. The weirdest thing was honestly getting used to the MC having a personality.

To be fair Joker absolutely has a personality. The dude is flamboyant and has a distinct set of behaviors, more than P3/p4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Joker absolutely has a personality. The dude is flamboyant and has a distinct set of behaviors, more than P3/p4

sure but it's a very different kind of "voice", and one that pops up only intermittently

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
His "neutral" cool and stoic attitude he has when other characters are the focus is the only one that doesn't really show. Him being a total showboat when he's Joker, starkly defiant in the face of injustice, and cripplingly depressed when he's alone are all pretty prominently displayed.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I definitely got the vibe that Akiren was snarkier than Yu, and Yu could be seriously snarky when he wanted to be.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

His "neutral" cool and stoic attitude he has when other characters are the focus is the only one that doesn't really show. Him being a total showboat when he's Joker, starkly defiant in the face of injustice, and cripplingly depressed when he's alone are all pretty prominently displayed.

my point was that there's a big difference between a silent protag that only occasionally speaks up in short sentences, and what you get from a charismatic lead with at least as many lines as anyone else in the cast.

i should've worded my initial post differently because he absolutely can have a personality in the game (though we're filling in some gaps ourselves)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh sorry, I wasn't actually disagreeing with you, the parts where other characters talk and he doesn't really do anything are like 95% of the game, and it's absolutely a big change for him to be an active participant in those. I was just sharing my general observations of his personality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

They should have arbitrarily made Joker a devout Catholic in the P5R animation

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

:yeah:

Honestly, anything going on other than what did happen would've made P5 anime much better IMHO.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

trying to pray over here and this broad keeps trying to rope me into board games smdh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

trying to pray over here and this broad keeps trying to rope me into board games smdh

On Sunday, the only place you can travel is the church

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alder posted:

:yeah:

Honestly, anything going on other than what did happen would've made P5 anime much better IMHO.

what happened? (i'm halfway through P5 in case of spoilers)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's faithful to the point of excess. If you've played the game, it's incredibly boring. If you haven't, you're just experiencing a worse version of the major beats that is also incredibly boring. I don't love all the changes made in the P4 anime, but that version was at least additive and offered a new take on the material in a lot of ways. P5A just has nothing to offer.

Also it looks like absolute poo poo a lot of the time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The most important thing about the P5 anime is that it revealed to me that Morgana actual is wearing a mask in his metaverse form.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's funny that the Caligula anime adaptation that same season had a more interesting direction that gave the normally silent/blank protagonist a very unique and plot-relevant personality & backstory that causes the plot to diverge greatly from the game's, which made for a much more interesting thing to watch as a fan of the game/series because it's a different look at it. I kinda wish it got the 2-cour run instead.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Rinkles posted:

what happened? (i'm halfway through P5 in case of spoilers)

It looked p ugly and nothing much happened during the entire season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Wasn't the reaction to the anime being announced "well if nothing else at least we'll get a good OP out of it" and then the OP wasn't even very good.