Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Still need to finish up Amphibia and Owl House.

Also forgot about Gravity Falls, Stan tricking Bill will always be a top tier moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I would say The Venture Brothers had a good final episode/movie.

The Life and Times of Tim too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I disagree only insofar as agreeing with you would be acknowledging it actually ended.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I'm not entirely sure if it's possible for any show to have a truly good ending because even the most flawless show will always have to compete with the feeling that you will never see any of this for the first time ever again, and you will never see what happens next, and that just sucks :smith:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Flopsy posted:

Oh this one is an excellent example! Might I add Star versus the Forces of Evil for the rushed ending concentrating more on shipping horseshit rather than, oh I don't know the actual plot itself? Like I don't anybody at this point who gave a good goddamn who Star ended up with but we had to keep watching that trash fire play out in real time.

Both of these shows also made the baffling decision to Kill off the series main antagonist up to that point off in the middle of the show and just kind of never replace them with anything particularly interesting?. I felt like the last season of Star Vs. ended up really suffering because of this, especially because Mina Loveberry just did not make a good final boss for the series. Not only had she been pretty consistently treated like a joke in every appearance before that season, she was explicitly taken out by the antagonist of the prior season offscreen, so it felt like a step down in terms of stakes.

Star Vs.'s ultimately felt like it's final resolution belonged to a completely different show, especially because the existence of magic never felt like the root of any of the problems the show was exploring, it was Mewni's Monarchy?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The 3rd episode of Distant Lands was a fantastic 'finale' for me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

I would say The Venture Brothers had a good final episode/movie.
I enjoyed it but I think it did suffer from being condensed down from a season to a movie (obviously that's no fault of the creators though).

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Taear posted:

Wait I don't remember Star ending badly?

I thought it ended pretty well considering the production pressures it seemed to be under. I genuinely believe they were expecting to get another season to work with, but it didn't materialize.

What I think a lot of people miss is that magic and its governing institutions were tools of the state to oppress monsters. To show the Magical High Commission abolished so completely as an institution is an unambiguously good ending. While Star's turn at the end was abrupt, there was a lot of build up for these aspects being colonialist/white supremacist/etc.

Anyway, if people are interested in this aspect of the show I actually have a video on it.

E: VVVVVVVV Hard agree

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 8, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think Star Vs. should get way more points for actually going with the "abolish your own privileges in the name of a more equitable future" ending than it loses for kind of rushing through the practical details of this.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I enjoyed it but I think it did suffer from being condensed down from a season to a movie (obviously that's no fault of the creators though).

I agree and it is a crime against humanity we didn't get the final season.

Still, it did a great job of answering long standing questions and giving a final send off to the show.

From what I remember Star Wars: The Clone Wars also had a great final season.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The third, fourth, and fifth seasons of Venture Bros would have been great series finales and were probably written to be in case the show was cancelled.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Electric Phantasm posted:

What would you all say had good endings? King of the Hill had a pretty good send off episode and of course Futurama had a good 3 endings.

Centaurworld

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Centaurworld had a fantastic ending episode overall, but there's certainly been feuding about specific aspects of it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

Both of these shows also made the baffling decision to Kill off the series main antagonist up to that point off in the middle of the show and just kind of never replace them with anything particularly interesting?. I felt like the last season of Star Vs. ended up really suffering because of this, especially because Mina Loveberry just did not make a good final boss for the series. Not only had she been pretty consistently treated like a joke in every appearance before that season, she was explicitly taken out by the antagonist of the prior season offscreen, so it felt like a step down in terms of stakes.

Star Vs.'s ultimately felt like it's final resolution belonged to a completely different show, especially because the existence of magic never felt like the root of any of the problems the show was exploring, it was Mewni's Monarchy?

Ngl the biggest problem i developed with Star versus was I become more invested in Eclipsa's plot line than Star's. I was more interested in how she was going to run the country once she regained the throne, how was she going to deal with the magical high commission breathing down her neck and how was she going to get her husband back. Hell I was more invested in her reconnecting with her daughter. All of that felt more compelling to me over which boy Star was going to end up with and their teenage angst over the fact. Also killing off Toffee THAT early on was a loving MISTAKE per excellence. Nobody gave a poo poo about Mina Loveberry and quite frankly i feel like she was kind of an obnoxious dig at mental illness in war veterans. I get how it's supposed to be funny because she's a Sailor Moon parody but I always felt...I dunno unsettled by it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Sardonik posted:

I thought it ended pretty well considering the production pressures it seemed to be under. I genuinely believe they were expecting to get another season to work with, but it didn't materialize.

What I think a lot of people miss is that magic and its governing institutions were tools of the state to oppress monsters. To show the Magical High Commission abolished so completely as an institution is an unambiguously good ending. While Star's turn at the end was abrupt, there was a lot of build up for these aspects being colonialist/white supremacist/etc.

Owl House cinched the landing with similar issues. They kept their eyes on the plot prize and didn't have several episodes dedicated to a lovely love triangle. Problem in Star's case is several magical creatures and spells were uh ALIVE and had entire civilizations and she flat out killed them all. I get the idea behind it but the execution is nuts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Owl House cinched the landing with similar issues. They kept their eyes on the plot prize and didn't have several episodes dedicated to a lovely love triangle. Problem in Star's case is several magical creatures and spells were uh ALIVE and had entire civilizations and she flat out killed them all. I get the idea behind it but the execution is nuts.

To be fair, aside from maybe Hekapoo and Star’s mom most of the Commission were assholes anyway. But yeah, they weren’t the only victims

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So it sounds like they got a Samurai Jack ending, which also seemed to decide to not really think much about its consequences despite making it a central part of the show's arc.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

To be fair, aside from maybe Hekapoo and Star’s mom most of the Commission were assholes anyway. But yeah, they weren’t the only victims

No tears shed for the commission but like it was flat out shown every spell is sentient and they had personalities and families. None of that gets addressed it's just; magic is the main tool of the oppressor, Toffee was right, all dis poo poo gotta go. We only get a bland acknowledgment from Hekapoo and Glossaryck that yeah they're gonna die and it's totes for the best.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Centaurworld had a fantastic ending episode overall, but there's certainly been feuding about specific aspects of it.

What were those if it's not too much of a :can:? I missed whatever discussion took place around it.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Flopsy posted:

No tears shed for the commission but like it was flat out shown every spell is sentient and they had personalities and families. None of that gets addressed it's just; magic is the main tool of the oppressor, Toffee was right, all dis poo poo gotta go. We only get a bland acknowledgment from Hekapoo and Glossaryck that yeah they're gonna die and it's totes for the best.

Justice for Spider in a Tophat

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

koolkal posted:

Justice for Spider in a Tophat

The laser puppies deserved better than annihilation.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Lmao so the Fandom site for the show has a Fate section for each character

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Flopsy posted:

The laser puppies deserved better than annihilation.

Actually for that one and only that one specifically Daron Nefcy confirmed on Twitter that they survived, just without the laser beam powers.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The impression I get both from that word of got confirmation about the laser puppies and from how characters you'd assume were inherently magical but turn out to actually not be and thus able to survive (like Ponyhead) that the destruction of magic was less genocidal than people would assume

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's a disney cartoon for kids, it's definitely less genocidal

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

The impression I get both from that word of got confirmation about the laser puppies and from how characters you'd assume were inherently magical but turn out to actually not be and thus able to survive (like Ponyhead) that the destruction of magic was less genocidal than people would assume

That's all well and good but when you have to clarify plot points on twitter I'm just going to say it's not great writing.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

KingKalamari posted:

the baffling decision to Kill off the series main antagonist up to that point off in the middle of the show and just kind of never replace them with anything particularly interesting?.
it was extra weird that the late-season openings for Star featured Ludo even though he was in just a handful of later-series episodes.

Who, pray tell, are these "forces of evil"? Perhaps it was always a metaphor.

KingKalamari posted:

I felt like the last season of Star Vs. ended up really suffering because of this, especially because Mina Loveberry just did not make a good final boss for the series.
I don't know if this is a common opinion but I strongly disliked Amy Sedaris in this role. I like her as a comedic actress in things like The Mandalorian but I was not able to accept Jerri Blank's voice coming from this deranged supersoldier.

also I like Jenny Slate but hate Ponyhead

but I don't hate Tudyk's characters or Marco or Star

what does it all mean?!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Data Graham posted:

What were those if it's not too much of a :can:? I missed whatever discussion took place around it.

Rider's sudden heel turn, the 'you're just a horse' moment, then making it look to all appearances she had died, but then actually nah she's fine. Personally, I'm ambivalent, but i can understand people having whiplash about it, especially as it came outta nowhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pyrotoad posted:

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible for any show to have a truly good ending because even the most flawless show will always have to compete with the feeling that you will never see any of this for the first time ever again, and you will never see what happens next, and that just sucks :smith:

It's easiest with a show that already has a linear, overarching plot, because there will be a clear direction it was headed, and even when the series has clearly been making up poo poo as it goes along, it's hard not to give any thought to what will come next and end up coming with something to bolt onto the end. Star Vs. was definitely one of those ones that changed where it was heading multiple times through the process, Steven Universe was one that had a plan it could squeeze and stretch into a timeframe.

In lieu of some kind of overarching plot to draw into a conclusion, if you have enough time, you can just come up with a whole narrative season to finish things off with. That's what Regular Show did with its last season, and it got really weird. A lot of anime set in high school end up structuring themselves around the school year, partway through there's a class change, and at the very end they deal with graduation to finish things off. Looking for college or wherever else they'll go next. Kind of plugging things into a pseudo-narrative.

Some episodic shows try just having like having one last really big episode, maybe a multi-parter, and that'll finish it off by being one of the best episodes. I've heard a lot of plans for shows to finish themselves off with movies, but I'm not sure that's ever successful? If the movie is well-received then that'll just revive the show from the brink of death at the last moment, and a lot of the time plans for a movie just fall through so things are left hanging.

Sometimes the show can end on a big metacommentary on what it means for a TV series to end. Angry Beavers tried but wasn't allowed to. Batman the Brave and the Bold got to go into depth on the series being cancelled, reasons why various series tend to get cancelled, and even alluding to the how the show was cancelled for something else to come along.

But at the bare minimum, it's nice just to have the show give one final word with one nice last moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY45YOaXwVk

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Star's mother is a huge arsehole. They have an entire episode in the fourth season which looks like nothing at the time, but I'm retrospect it's the show handing the villain torch over from Ludo to Moon.

I do wonder if they intended to have one more season there at the end, and then sort of resolved a few of their ideas for the fifth season very quickly at the end. But Moon's villain twist is very strong. Shame they do the Disney thing and back away from it though.

In general I like a lot of the final season, though it's absolutely not what you'd expect from the final season of an action cartoon -- lots of falling action where you'd normally have rising action. But it's clearly been plotted through beforehand, with a lot of set ups and pay offs, and for all that Mina doesn't work as a straight up threat (is it the voice filter? the design? both? whatever it is she's not very intimidating) her final speech about "great ideas" is very, very effective.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sometimes the show can end on a big metacommentary on what it means for a TV series to end. Angry Beavers tried but wasn't allowed to. Batman the Brave and the Bold got to go into depth on the series being cancelled, reasons why various series tend to get cancelled, and even alluding to the how the show was cancelled for something else to come along.

As good time as any for me to cite (as I so often do) Home Movies. The “Focus Grill” finale episode works really well as a normal standalone episode and as a ribbon to tie around the whole show, plus its story is a metacommentary on ending things in-universe as most of its episodes are stories-within-stories. Just :discourse:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Star's mother is a huge arsehole. They have an entire episode in the fourth season which looks like nothing at the time, but I'm retrospect it's the show handing the villain torch over from Ludo to Moon.

I do wonder if they intended to have one more season there at the end, and then sort of resolved a few of their ideas for the fifth season very quickly at the end. But Moon's villain twist is very strong. Shame they do the Disney thing and back away from it though.

In general I like a lot of the final season, though it's absolutely not what you'd expect from the final season of an action cartoon -- lots of falling action where you'd normally have rising action. But it's clearly been plotted through beforehand, with a lot of set ups and pay offs, and for all that Mina doesn't work as a straight up threat (is it the voice filter? the design? both? whatever it is she's not very intimidating) her final speech about "great ideas" is very, very effective.

Yeah nevermind, Moon's terrible up until near the end now that I think about it (Hekapoo was probably the most reasonable member of the High Commission but even she was still complicit in the whole Eclipsa coverup). That said, it would be interesting to have gotten another season if only to see the aftermath of the two realms being forcibly merged together

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 9, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Star's ending was good.

No I will not elaborate (right now) (I am on a train)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

It was weird because I felt like they tried to make Rhombulus at least a little bit sympathetic early on, if still a reactionary dick whose actions always make things worse. The fact that he's the one who was responsible for the council's most rear end in a top hat-ish actions not spearheaded by Queen Moon ends up kind of working against the council's ultimate fate feeling unsatisfying since it makes all of their antagonism the result of either Star's mother (Who doesn't get wiped from existence when Star gets rid of magic) or the council's local gently caress-up.

I get the idea that they're trying to present oppressive systems as the ultimate antagonist of the series, but when you don't have a credible antagonist to represent those systems it can lead to the resolution feeling unsatisfying

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's a bit contentious but I thought the ending of Adventure Time was really good and hit all the emotional beats it needed to. Then they got lucky with Distant Lands and Fionna and Cake being able to put a bow on both Finn and Jake and Simon's stories even more than the original did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ccs posted:

It's a bit contentious but I thought the ending of Adventure Time was really good and hit all the emotional beats it needed to. Then they got lucky with Distant Lands and Fionna and Cake being able to put a bow on both Finn and Jake and Simon's stories even more than the original did.

I think the ending montage for Adventure Time brings a perfect end to Simon's story and I almost prefer it to Fionna and Cake, which I think uses Simon for new things, which are also interesting and done well.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

All this talk of endings makes me wonder something, so I'll pass this question to all of you:

How do you end The Simpsons?

They've already done more 'flash ahead to see what's happening to everyone in the future' episodes than I can count, so you can't really do that.

How do you end a show that's been around for long, had such a huge impact on pop culture, and is so very long past it's prime?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I already liked Come Along With Me as an ending but it really benefits from knowing the production circumstances behind it; for almost the entire final season the crew saw that the writing was on the wall and that the show was gonna end soon, but thought that they were getting another season afterwards. The season was always gonna end with an hour special, but the original plan was for it to basically set up the actual final season, and when they found out that they weren't getting another season they had to completely rewrite the outline of the hour special to serve as a series finale.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

I get the idea that they're trying to present oppressive systems as the ultimate antagonist of the series, but when you don't have a credible antagonist to represent those systems it can lead to the resolution feeling unsatisfying

I don't think the show believes that the defeat/neutralisation of individuals is the same as overcoming systemic oppression, hence the ultimate failure to defeat Mina and her "good ideas".

If it were to have a more comprehensive examination of its themes, it would probably also have to take a closer look at Globgor, Eclipsa, Rich Pigeon et. al. but I don't think it'd ever really puncture the fantasy of good royalty. (Though even then they're still implicitly bad in their own way, e.g. Globgor eating a dude, Eclipsa ruling despite nearly everyone hating her, Mewni's apparently in a state of permanent serfdom run by various dynastic city states that none of their leaders seemingly want to overcome, etc.)

But it's not the kind of show that really holds up to an awful lot of scrutiny, but then again most shows aren't tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'll never know if Star Vs. The Forces of Evil had a good or bad ending because I just stopped caring halfway through the final season. I can't even fully explain why, I just suddenly realized "I don't like any of these characters and I don't care what happens to them". I stopped caring so much I even stopped caring about earlier episodes that I had previously really enjoyed.

It just wasn't fun anymore.