Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Finally got around to doing the MSQ and Alliance stuff. Wasn't a super big fan of either, personally, but they're servicable enough.

...Come on, though, we're back to the first and the only thing Feo Ul gets is a brief mention? At least we got Gaia, even if it's way too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You're just going to have to come to terms with the WoL being the cruelest, worst, most unfeeling, cruelest heartless sapling there ever was.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onean posted:

I should mention that even though I say this, there are some Trials where a rewrite would be significantly more difficult, if not impossible. Most of the impossible ones are post-Azem crystal, so there's no need there, but there's still stuff like Susano where there's only three of us there plus the potential risk of tempering, so some generic fill-ins are needed.

YoshiP did say that they've improved the Trust system even further with DT, allowing them to do stuff they're excited to show off. The last time he said that we had the Scions join us in fighting Hydaelyn, so I'm curious what they've got planned.

Exciited for DPS to finally use aoe.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I remember seeing in an interview that if they did make any old MSQ Trials into Duty Support, they'd have to chunk them down to four players and rewrite the mechanics appropriately, because Hydaelyn was designed with 7 NPC's in mind and other trials were not.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think one of the reasons for the Elpis section is so that you get time to be buds with Hades and Hyth as yourself and build a connection there, not just because he's thinking of his old flame the whole time.

Also it's a lot easier to be friends with Hades before the twelve millennia of atrocities (and indeed this is part of the pathos of him).

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

how does the Nidhogg fight change if you have Estinien as a trust?

They redid that whole fight. It's cooler in a lot of ways but it no longer has NPC Estinien that you need to protect in the add phase, regardless of whether it's a trust dungeon and he's there. It's just kill the adds before the bar fills up like.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Is there any way to play the free to play mode of the game with my old account? It seems if you ever paid for the game, that account is locked out of the free to play mode, but I was hoping I was wrong and there's a way around this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

walruscat posted:

Is there any way to play the free to play mode of the game with my old account? It seems if you ever paid for the game, that account is locked out of the free to play mode, but I was hoping I was wrong and there's a way around this.

Nope. The only thing you can do is wait for one of the 'returning accounts play free' things.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. The only thing you can do is wait for one of the 'returning accounts play free' things.

Ah well. Thanks! Tempting to just start a new account if I didn't remember what a slog the initial story quests were.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Depending on how long ago you played, it might not be as much of a slog. They cut-down A Realm Reborn (base game and the post game patches) in patch 5.3 around two years ago.

It's still ARR, so it can be a slog (I personally like it though), but they cut out a lot of bullshit (and left some in, like the pre-Titan stuff).

This shows how many quests were removed, but even a lot of the ones that weren't removed get reworked to some extent.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

They left in the titan quests but took from us 'The scions get hosed with by the sylphs'. One of the few arr quests that showed off the scions personalities.

I'm still real salty about that

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

They also reworked the fight against Rhitalyn (sp) so that it's just a solo duty.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Thank you WoL, but the corruption is in another crystal!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kheldarn posted:

They also reworked the fight against Rhitalyn (sp) so that it's just a solo duty.

On the bright side the Cape Westwind is Hard memes have finally become real.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Veotax posted:

Depending on how long ago you played, it might not be as much of a slog. They cut-down A Realm Reborn (base game and the post game patches) in patch 5.3 around two years ago.

It's still ARR, so it can be a slog (I personally like it though), but they cut out a lot of bullshit (and left some in, like the pre-Titan stuff).

This shows how many quests were removed, but even a lot of the ones that weren't removed get reworked to some extent.

This is definitely news to me! I'm glad I asked!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

They left in the titan quests but took from us 'The scions get hosed with by the sylphs'. One of the few arr quests that showed off the scions personalities.

I'm still real salty about that

The Titan quests are decoy time wasters, which is a dastardly thing for trimming the MSQ. They deliberately present like they're wasting their time, but they actually work at introducing a bunch of concepts, characters and places that turn out to be important, so they can't be cut despite looking for all the world like the easiest possible shave-offs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

What do they tell you? How traditional Seeker of the Sun tribes live and Brayflox? Maybe Garleans using conscripts from other nations but that shows up in other places in AAR so I guess that's just a Dalmcasca namedrop they'd lose...

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hellioning posted:

What do they tell you? How traditional Seeker of the Sun tribes live and Brayflox? Maybe Garleans using conscripts from other nations but that shows up in other places in AAR so I guess that's just a Dalmcasca namedrop they'd lose...

They teach you how people fought Primals before you came along.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean, kind of? You never actually see it happen, it's literally just told to you in a text box. The actual fetch quests are irrelevant for that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Titan needs to stay the same because there’s plenty of jokes afterwards over several expansions made about how annoying it all was.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There's several jokes in the same questline about how annoying it all was.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I would settle for some revision that gives the U'odh and Landanel segments more flavor than "some jackass gives you a chore, you do it; the Shamani Lohmani segment is decent character stuff (which admittedly you could maybe tighten a touch), and Brayflox is interesting as an early example of the WoL as serendipitous hero/the one who's in the right place at the right time to do the right thing, but the first two segments are Boretown. Maybe have the first Company segment be straightforward, but then throw a curveball in the second one, and really emphasize the idea more that these veteran adventurers are surprised and impressed by what the WoL is achieving?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Antivehicular posted:

I would settle for some revision that gives the U'odh and Landanel segments more flavor than "some jackass gives you a chore, you do it; the Shamani Lohmani segment is decent character stuff (which admittedly you could maybe tighten a touch), and Brayflox is interesting as an early example of the WoL as serendipitous hero/the one who's in the right place at the right time to do the right thing, but the first two segments are Boretown. Maybe have the first Company segment be straightforward, but then throw a curveball in the second one, and really emphasize the idea more that these veteran adventurers are surprised and impressed by what the WoL is achieving?

Yeah, there's definite ways you could rewrite the approach to the Titan leadup that keeps everything important without being as much of a drag (I'd also bring up that it introduces a lot of La Noscean locations, and of course Riol), but it would require a full rewrite beyond the scope that the MSQ trimdown could spare.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hellioning posted:

The actual fetch quests are irrelevant for that.

The fetch quests are there to prove that you're actually doing it for the right reasons, rather than just being a hot headed glory hound.

The real "this has no purpose" filler is the corrupted crystal poo poo before Garuda.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kyrosiris posted:

The fetch quests are there to prove that you're actually doing it for the right reasons, rather than just being a hot headed glory hound.

The real "this has no purpose" filler is the corrupted crystal poo poo before Garuda.

"The correct element is in another castle."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah this. The CoH quests could probably use a rewrite that they'll never get, but they do have a point. The Garuda setup quests are the actual low point of ARR.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah this. The CoH quests could probably use a rewrite that they'll never get, but they do have a point. The Garuda setup quests are the actual low point of ARR.

the company of heroes set my expectations so low that I didnt even remember the corrupted crystals bit. I think I mashed through almost all the garuda setup, and the coerthas stuff for good measure

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If you don't like the CoH stuff you are weak. It's the most WoL-core arc ARR gets.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

What exactly is a corrupted crystal anyway? I don't remember if they ever actually said. I feel like it wasn't until ShB that we got much more than "aether is vague magicalness that can do whatever." Is that how she was able to eat the other primals?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GloomMouse posted:

What exactly is a corrupted crystal anyway? I don't remember if they ever actually said. I feel like it wasn't until ShB that we got much more than "aether is vague magicalness that can do whatever." Is that how she was able to eat the other primals?

They go into it a lot in ARR all those hosed up crystal zones are corrupted aether cast off bahamut.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I always saw corrupted aether as kinda like nuclear radiation. Just kinda fucks things up. I bet if you were in the presence of a corrupted crystal for too long you'd get something akin to radiation poisoning.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A crystal is corrupted if the output element is different than the input element. That's why they're effective at blocking things like Garuda's wind control, because air-aspected aether becomes something else on contact.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

I always saw corrupted aether as kinda like nuclear radiation. Just kinda fucks things up. I bet if you were in the presence of a corrupted crystal for too long you'd get something akin to radiation poisoning.

I think that's about right. Corrupted crystals are "over-aspected" and constantly radiate their aether outward, converting other things around them into their corrupt element, similar to Primals. That's how you get stuff like the people with exploding crystals growing out of their backs in Pharos Sirius.
While normal crystals are more inert and safe to handle.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also aether corruption is, literally what tempering is. Your aetherial element gets tilted to the primal's to the point your memories become influenced by the primal. And also you might become a mindflayer/sin eater/voidsent.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

On the bright side the Cape Westwind is Hard memes have finally become real.

Yeah Rhitahtyn is unironically the most hype fight in ARR now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/XuanyiRuna/status/1711842283002487102?s=20

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 10, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Change the X to twitter and the embed should work.

A is so freakin' cute! Is this your art? I love it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Change the X to twitter and the embed should work.

A is so freakin' cute! Is this your art? I love it

thanks for the heads up, but also yeah lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

beret goes on top of her hammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's missing the obvious answer:
Beret goes on top of the rabbit ears hoodie.