Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Arab League could make it the last war

If they wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Poppers posted:

Didn’t catpetter kill a dog with a brick or something lol?

Catpetter could not stop doing syq no matter what warnings were given or punishments endured

Fizzy reposts the news, which is like syq just from paid sources

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Catpetter could not stop doing syq no matter what warnings were given or punishments endured

the post that finally got catpetter banned wasn't even a syq from the forums - it was quoting a reddit post

grave injustice

free him

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
D&D going round in circles trying to gotcha the other side is both funny and brain cell melting

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Rock Puncher posted:

D&D going round in circles trying to gotcha the other side is both funny and brain cell melting

are they still talking about the rave and ignoring everything else

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

sw0cb posted:

This is the most disgusting poo poo I've ever seen from the US(media, citizens, whoever) and I've lived here my whole life. Its just amazing.

This is nothing compared to what is going on in my country, where the flag of Israel has been hoisted on the chancellery.

Not surprising though, when it comes to genocide my garbage country added a couple of chapters to the manual. Some of them so bad that it made even the Germans blush. The right wing around here loves Israel now, cause Bibi&friends are free to do what our Nazis can only dream about.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

HallelujahLee posted:

Yep

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In the early 00s there was always at least one thread in GBS just full of pictures of hot IDF girls and sick war fantasies about killing Muslims.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

FlapYoJacks posted:

ah my b my b

No worries.

Zodium posted:

mainstream western opposition to the iraq war was always predicated on a complaint that the ruling class were doing empire incompetently, and to enrichen themselves alone.

I think that was the real reason, and probably also the explicit reason given by some talking heads on the news, but I definitely think the prevailing expressed liberal viewpoint, at least from what I recall as a dum young teen, was that it was a nakedly unjustifiable war motivated by greed and/or theocratic bigotry and/or Dubya wanting to finish what daddy started. Part of why I recall a common sentiment being that Afghanistan was justified but Iraq was not - the former was a - allegedly - valid response to the Taliban aiding and abetting al-Qaeda while the latter was Bush being Bush.
Obviously 99% of all that is bullshit but yeah. There was definitely mainstream opposition to the Iraq War being, at least in terms of what people said, predicated on the idea it was a fundamentally unjust war of conquest.

Plus if I recall the invasion did go better than even initially predicted, no? It's the occupation that turned out to be a loving nightmare slog, but as I recall the actual invasion of Iraq was less costly in terms of lives and money for America than even Rumsfeld and the other ghouls initially predicted.
(Of course divorcing an invasion from the ensuing occupation is absurd but yeah.)

EDIT: Oh, also, to clarify and rereading your post a bit, I'm talking more about the early opposition in the lead-in to the invasion and the early days of the occupation. Obviously as the Forever War dragged on, things changed.

RoboChrist 9000 has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Oct 9, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

what a garbage forum

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Zodium posted:

:(: you are stealing my house!
:smuggo:: there's no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know much about the conflict but wouldn't the weird amount of IDF commanders getting captured from their* homes or killed in the surprise attack be because they were getting the choicest stolen properties as they moved the line of warcrimes forward?

If you exterminate a family from a large estate they've inhabited for over a century it's probably going to go to someone with connections. Repeat on 1,000 families and a lot of this free* real estate near the border probably went to the big important commanders that got owned.

I guess they could have constructed penthouse apartments over the mass graves that the commanders can inhabit for a shorter commute to the warcrimes as well.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Unironically the patience of a saint. Because I'm pretty sure "hey, buddy, please stop stealing my house." is not the reaction most people would have to fascist colonists trying to steal their home.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

HallelujahLee posted:

500 people got shot at an American music festival and everyone forgot about it a week later.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zodium posted:

:(: you are stealing my house!
:smuggo:: there's no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
im not in favor of shooting music fans regardless of their poo poo taste but absent that i think 98% of the debate going on would be exactly the same

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

with Afghanistan and Iraq they could at least pretend that they were going to topple their gov't and save the people living under the bad guys. reporting about Palestine doesn't get any of that. its dehumanization all the way across.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
im in favor of being as offensive as possible to boring dullards

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

absolutely astonishing that they can set up their own SAMs in gaza, if israel can no longer just use indiscriminate air strikes they’re done

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's insane to me that Israeli military leaders can openly talk about their opponents as "animals" they're going to starve, and yet all the blame for war crimes and death goes to the Palestinian """terrorists""".

On a good day the corporate media sucks poo poo. When it comes to Israel is openly genocidal.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

what if stephen paddock had a paraglider

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Buttchocks posted:

500 people got shot at an American music festival and everyone forgot about it a week later.

yeah i've been thinking about that too

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
yeah but the shooter didn't get to parade around with someones head on a pike and also probably rape some people, so really those killings were tactful, which is the most important thing when killing indiscriminately

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

HallelujahLee posted:

They also seem to love to put the word rape in all their posts despite having no evidence of it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

They also seem to love to put the word rape in all their posts despite having no evidence of it.

god drat creeps

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i support the two state solution

first a solid

then a gas

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

the victim blaming honey trap

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the IDF has just announced that a group of gunmen have successfully infiltrated the north of Israel from lebanon.

now the Isrealis are trying to shock and awe gaza with a murderous bombing campaign which as we all know worked the last thirty times they did this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

the IDF has just announced that a group of gunmen have successfully infiltrated the north of Israel from lebanon.

Amazing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

lord it's about to get spicy innit

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hamas just announced that the IDF has killed four of the IDF POW's in their bombing, one of whom was someone who would hire spies in gaza. His last name is also nimrod but it's a 19 year old nimrod rather than the underwear middle aged nimrod.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Qassam brigades have said one of the IDF prisoners has been killed in the gaza bombing.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

clearly a talking point being pushed by the digital army or whatever, it's like every other post on Reddit too by accounts with little to no activity outside of rabid israelposting

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Qassam brigades have said one of the IDF prisoners has been killed in the gaza bombing.

oops

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Buttchocks posted:

murdering 500 people because of gambling debts is good and an american tradition

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

No worries.

I think that was the real reason, and probably also the explicit reason given by some talking heads on the news, but I definitely think the prevailing expressed liberal viewpoint, at least from what I recall as a dum young teen, was that it was a nakedly unjustifiable war motivated by greed and/or theocratic bigotry and/or Dubya wanting to finish what daddy started. Part of why I recall a common sentiment being that Afghanistan was justified but Iraq was not - the former was a - allegedly - valid response to the Taliban aiding and abetting al-Qaeda while the latter was Bush being Bush.
Obviously 99% of all that is bullshit but yeah. There was definitely mainstream opposition to the Iraq War being, at least in terms of what people said, predicated on the idea it was a fundamentally unjust war of conquest.

Plus if I recall the invasion did go better than even initially predicted, no? It's the occupation that turned out to be a loving nightmare slog, but as I recall the actual invasion of Iraq was less costly in terms of lives and money for America than even Rumsfeld and the other ghouls initially predicted.
(Of course divorcing an invasion from the ensuing occupation is absurd but yeah.)

EDIT: Oh, also, to clarify and rereading your post a bit, I'm talking more about the early opposition in the lead-in to the invasion and the early days of the occupation. Obviously as the Forever War dragged on, things changed.

the expressed viewpoint is just whatever fits the real reason. same reason they're laser-focused on the rape of nova now. it's a matter of narrowing your vision until the information fits the real objective.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

woops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HallelujahLee posted:

i wonder how battle tested the algerian military is they're the only country that sort of comes to mind in the arab league that might have a competent military

I have a book about that somewhere. They have a lot of expensive Russian equipment, Russian doctrine and striking power on paper but have dispersed their military to mostly fight the Islamic rebels the Algerian intelligence services… also created and supported?

Whatever the Algerian Army is, its political and state dimension outshadows pure military function, which makes it very hard to say. Whole villages were massacred within earshot of army garrisons during the civil war and the troops didn’t leave barracks.