Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
they both knew Edgeworth was alive but only because Phoenix tried to get Maya to channel his spirit so they could have one last drama-off

this is not mentioned or even alluded to in any official material, but it is absolutely canon now that I've thought of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maya (or Pearls) have never actually channeled a man, right?

The only man that I think was channeled by a Fey was through Misty during the DL-6 incident.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Spirit of Justice introduces a whole new kind of spirit channelling, which works for dudes just fine, and culminates in Maya rolling in to do a classic Fey channeling of a man. The man gag around it is that he was bald af and is pretty stoked to find himself in a body with a very full head of hair.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 5, 2023

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maya (or Pearls) have never actually channeled a man, right?

The only man that I think was channeled by a Fey was through Misty during the DL-6 incident.
Maya channels two men during SoJ.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How did u forget Maya (Mega final SoJ case spoilers channeled Dhurke for like 2 entire days

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They forgot all of those examples because soj is a bad game and it has the worst story in the entire series including Layton vs Wright

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Layton v Wright exists specifically to dunk on Phoenix, not only does he have no idea what's happening he also has to face down Prosecutor Layton in the last trial, I'll remind you that Layton is practically the superman who excels at anything he wishes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

They forgot all of those examples because soj is a bad game and it has the worst story in the entire series including Layton vs Wright

:chloe:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

good grief

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm right

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Actually, speaking of Layton vs Wright, I've been playing this indie AA clone that's really taking a lot of inspiration from it, Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane. It's really good! Fantasy Ace Attorney is something that hooked me instantly, and it does a good mixture of consistent logic, fun twists, and neat ideas.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah when it was new we were talking about it a lot in this thread. I thought it was really charming despite some flaws and it'll probably go on my personal GOTY top ten, though one of the lower ones.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I’ll bite, what did you dislike about it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Which game does have the worst overall story in the series? Numerically speaking, one of them has to be the worst, even if it's still an 8/10 or whatever.

Justice For All is the easy answer, but it's really just case 3 (and a little of case 1) holding it down; case 2 was extremely important for the entire franchise's lore and setting, and case 4 was one of the best ever. I could also see the argument that SoJ was the weakest of them all, not to say that it's "bad".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It has to be 5, 6 builds towards a satisfying resolution both for the game and Apollo, AA5 is just kind of bleh.

Honourable mention to 4 for being a little incoherent but Kristoph is just such a solid villain and drat if I wasn’t vibing with the game the entire time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This is of course if we leave out Layton v. Wright because good lord who approved that draft

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Layton v Wright was an alright game. Shame it never got a conclusion and that it just stopped on case 4, that was weird and unfulfilling.

And I feel like I'm the only person that liked 5 :(

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm gonna say 3 off the top of my head. I remember the first case with Mia defending Nick and the last case with Nick defending Iris, but the middle of the game is just kinda an uninteresting blur. I think you defend Maggey again in one of the cases, but I don't even remember the defendant or victim of the other. 3-4 and 3-5 do at least manage to tie off the arc from the original trilogy in a satisfying manner, though even then they're not as great as the final cases from the previous games. 2 at least was full of cases I remember, and yeah 2-4 is up there with 1-4 as one of the best cases in the series.

I suppose 5 does get kinda broken record with its "dark age of the law" bs though.

Come to think of it, is Apollo the only member of the Wright Anything Agency who hasn't been accused of murder yet?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

dual destinies is the worst by far. writing, music, art style. it stinks!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

Come to think of it, is Apollo the only member of the Wright Anything Agency who hasn't been accused of murder yet?

Well, Gumshoe did (very temporarily) join them and he has never been accused so far...

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I just realized with this Apollo collection, they basically have to give us new games at this point.

Like the last potential trilogy they could do is AA:Investigations 1/2 (2 being new to us in general) and maybe Wright VS Layton.

Or finally give us AA7.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Specifically for story I would have to go for 5 too. There's a lot to like about the game, some great characters and some interesting ideas, but storywise it just falls flat - unfocused and meandering. Even for the DLC case, which is full of amazing stuff, the story is not its strong suit.

Compare to 4, which fumbles the ball in so many ways but still has a really interesting story at the center of it all - even if its delivery of the story collapses at the end.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

Specifically for story I would have to go for 5 too. There's a lot to like about the game, some great characters and some interesting ideas, but storywise it just falls flat - unfocused and meandering. Even for the DLC case, which is full of amazing stuff, the story is not its strong suit.

Compare to 4, which fumbles the ball in so many ways but still has a really interesting story at the center of it all - even if its delivery of the story collapses at the end.

Yeah this is how I feel. 4 is my least favorite because it has the fewest cases I actually enjoy, but 5 definitely has the weakest overall story.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Was 5 where you defended a killer whale for the DLC? Don't think you're allowed to put that game on the bottom for that alone.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tesseraction posted:

Was 5 where you defended a killer whale for the DLC? Don't think you're allowed to put that game on the bottom for that alone.

Yes and the best prosecutor Simon Blackquill.

I would still put it at the bottom for 5-3 and just how the game decides "The Dark Age of Law" is over.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
5 had the orca case and the twisted samurai, and both of those were heck of good, yes. Still the weakest story by a long shot.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well, Gumshoe did (very temporarily) join them and he has never been accused so far...

He's never been arrested, but he did get accused in Investigations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

5 has the worst story because the Phantom loving blows as a villain

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's fun unmasking them though :smuggo:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

No it's not! Hey you know this new character? Well, you never actually knew them at all, they were actually this person the whole time who is even LESS of a character than the person you thought they were!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

TheKingofSprings posted:

I’ll bite, what did you dislike about it

Switching between japanifornia and khura'in never really let me get invested in either setting, the story was just overwrought melodrama, we already gave Apollo's story a satisfying conclusion in DD so that wasn't particularly satisfying, and the worst sin of all, the prosecutor wasn't fun

The new gimmick was neat

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

we already gave Apollo's story a satisfying conclusion in DD

Did we, tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SoJ also had a weird structure to it where even in the episodes that lasted the full two days, you were never actually focused on a particular case for more than a day, so you were always dealing with three characters at a time, in order, the defendant, the witness that didn't do it, and the witness that did it. I know Ace Attorney tends to focus more on the howdunit than the whodunit, but sometimes it's nice to have that be a mystery too!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

The scene at the end of SoJ where Inga shoots Dhurke a bunch of times and Dhurke just stares him down so badly that Inga gives up and runs away was pretty badass.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SoJ is definitely the better of the Yamazaki main games though, but can't hold a candle to Takumi at his best.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Waffleman_ posted:

5 has the worst story because the Phantom loving blows as a villain

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it. I didn't particularly care for SoJ's villain, either, but its finale had a lot of other poo poo going for it, while DD just ends up serving you a re-retread of 1-4.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd go with AJ personally. The finale is a real anticlimax and case 3 sucks even by AA case 3 standards. Like maybe 2-3 was more tedious but it at least had a pretty interesting solution, while 4-3 amounts to a series of events that mostly happen for no reason.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 9, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'd go with AJ personally. The finale is a real anticlimax and case 3 sucks even by AA standards. Like maybe 2-3 was more tedious but it at least had a pretty interesting solution, while 4-3 amounts to a series of events that mostly happen for no reason.

"Hey Trucy let's leave the body that Ema asked us to watch over. I'm sure everything will be okay."

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like the Apollo villains just aren't very good. The Phoenix side has probably lower lows but I think the average villain quality is better than the Apollo side of things.

GAA's villains are kinda in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the villains of the third case for both GAA games were absolutely stellar.