Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
felt cute, decided to post a selfie. might delete later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Now I just tell them no and when they ask me to check I search the kb twice and then say no again

I just started using the 'per my last email' and then copy/pasting my previous email. feels good.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

tokin opposition posted:

felt cute, decided to post a selfie. might delete later

tag yourself i am the burning dumpster in the background, a perpetual state of how things are

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am the drawn on harry potter glasses

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm the... IT Technican.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i'm the missing thumb

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Almost a decade ago I co-created a one click deployment tool that runs through Teamcity and kicks off multiple Repliweb jobs to deploy entire .Net packages to DEV/TST/PRE and PRD

Imagine my surprise when I found out that my former employer, a huge ISP, still uses the technology that I helped create because apparently it just works.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 7, 2023

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Weekend career chat:

Purposefully light on details here but my data analyst job went away and my company offered a seamless transition to a role that is close to cyber security, same pay. They have me in silver handcuffs because the pay is great and I will absolutely take a pay cut if I leave for something else.

I'm at a bit of a career crossroads: do I look for the door and try to find another job in my career field (data), or do I jump into the cyber security world with both feet? I already have my Security+ and am confident I can succeed in this domain, it would just be a big career pivot in my mid 30s.

I have a couple of AWS and Azure data certs. Might start poking around their security certs and see if anything looks fun.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I HAVE to ask, even if you want to be light on details, your position disappeared? As in, essentially gently caress you?

Also from what little I have touched of the infosec world, everything is kind of a smoke show and everyone is (still) dumb as hell, but other people's mileage may vary. You may even really like it!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Go for it :sun:

InfoSec/CyberSec is a growing field, you won't have any problems moving to a new and better role in a while after you've mastered your new field.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I say go for it. Cyber is a “hot” field, and someone with a data background could find an interesting niche and do pretty well.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

You could probably just put a voicemail on the other line screaming THE INTERNET IS FINE as every local ping test returns no route to host and I would never notice like those scammers put on with the looped recording of the senile old man

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Hughmoris posted:

Weekend career chat:

Purposefully light on details here but my data analyst job went away and my company offered a seamless transition to a role that is close to cyber security, same pay. They have me in silver handcuffs because the pay is great and I will absolutely take a pay cut if I leave for something else.

I'm at a bit of a career crossroads: do I look for the door and try to find another job in my career field (data), or do I jump into the cyber security world with both feet? I already have my Security+ and am confident I can succeed in this domain, it would just be a big career pivot in my mid 30s.

I have a couple of AWS and Azure data certs. Might start poking around their security certs and see if anything looks fun.

Jump in with both feet.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I just found out I only have 8 fingers, wild

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Hughmoris posted:

Weekend career chat:

Unless you were already starting to specialize in Data Architecture or Data Lakes or cloud based storage and analysis services, Security will pay better and provide more variety in your career path.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

People still text with their thumbs with touch screens? My friend just told me he's still a thumb typer on his mobile phone. Is this real? I'm a 1 finger txter on my phone.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I’m doing it right now OP

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

In high school all our math teachers took special point to tell us we must not use our thumbs for our calculators because “they’re not game boys”.

So typing things with my thumbs is associated with casual normal way of doing things and typing with my fingers is associated with my weird math teachers who picked random things and pet peeves to make rules for children like most adults

Phone posting with my thumbs is my continued act of rebellion

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe I just like to use my middle finger to txt

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thumbs are great and how I type on my phone, sorry you're weird op

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Just be like my SO and use voice to text to send me novels when you know I’m currently driving.

Now that I have Apple car play I guess I could just use text to voice but I rather not.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Cyks posted:

Just be like my SO and use voice to text to send me novels when you know I’m currently driving.

I have apologized multiple times for that, but I thought you wanted to hear about the latest drama in the IT thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I can't even figure out how one would text with fingers without setting the phone down. Unless you're doing swipe typing in which case EWWWW.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I love swiping. I can't go back

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Mustache Ride posted:

I love swiping. I can't go back

what the gently caress

mods help

Give me “boomer slowly typing with one index finger” before that, that poo poo is hosed up

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tehinternet posted:

what the gently caress

mods help

Give me “boomer slowly typing with one index finger” before that, that poo poo is hosed up

our mod is IE, you are outnumbered

t9 typing only from now on

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Hughmoris posted:

Weekend career chat:

fwiw a lot of cybersec problems are also data problems so it might not be as much of a shift as you think!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I use a keyboard on my phone called MessagEase. I don't use any form of prediction, and I type one handed with my thumb.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

I use a keyboard on my phone called MessagEase. I don't use any form of prediction, and I type one handed with my thumb.

I used to use that keyboard on a Sony Clie. I'm impressed that they're still around. Back then it was the poo poo, but I'm too happy with swiping to think of going back.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It's Just Another Day in IT.

I was today years old when I discovered our phone system does not have a MUTE button for speakerphone. Something you would THINK would be a pretty basic loving requirement for a business phone system.

Instead you must press the undocumented and unreferenced FUNCTION - 1. And a random light on the phone turns on. Note it does NOT mute the handset, just hands free.

Someone turned it off that extension who knows how many years ago, or by accident, until I found that lurking time bomb today. I found the solution on a random message board talking about a different phone system.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Help. I'm at university, so not really a work related thing. But we have a course on data structures and algorithms, and about halfway into the course a guy asks on what to do with an exercise. The exercise provided some test functions to ease testing of your code, and premade classes where you have to implement some methods.

When the program is run, it prints:
code:
test_function is required
Run with --help for more information.
The dude literally doesn't understand what he has to do. He does not understand what the program is trying to say to him - run it with a --help commandline argument. I tried to explain to him what commandline arguments are. Then I tried to explain the concept of commandline. I gave up at the stage when I realized he doesn't understand at all what he is doing. He justs presses the green "play" button in IDE and magic happens.

Previous courses have definitely taught about what are compiled languages, what are executables, how commandline parameters work. I have no idea about how the guy has survived this far.

I haven't been this baffled in a very long time :allbuttons:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ihmemies posted:

I have no idea about how the guy has survived this far.

Then it sounds like you’re getting a good education on the real world, and especially IT work!

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

devmd01 posted:

Then it sounds like you’re getting a good education on the real world, and especially IT work!

Yeah, that's your new "Senior" or "Team Lead"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yearly evals today. Got Exceptional and max raise for the second year in a row. All it took was working harder than I thought possible for 52 weeks, who knew it was so simple.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

regulargonzalez posted:

Yearly evals today. Got Exceptional and max raise for the second year in a row. All it took was working harder than I thought possible for 52 weeks, who knew it was so simple.

I hope "max raise" is decent. I also got the max raise for CoL increase - 4.5%.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Max is 5% , standard is 3.5%. There's been discussion at the C levels about an additional 2% bump, because inflation. If that goes through, and taking into account I got a promotion a few months ago, come January I'll be making about 33% more than I did a year ago, and well over 100% more than I was making in my last non-IT job.

As a 40-something guy with no degree who just got into IT a little over 3 years ago I'm pretty happy with myself.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Help. I'm at university, so not really a work related thing. But we have a course on data structures. I have no idea about how the guy has survived this far.

I haven't been this baffled in a very long time :allbuttons:

In the US atleast college is a game of money, figuring out the rules, resilliancy, and gaming the system sufficiently.

I mean knowing and learning poo poo helps, but not actually required to graduate and even do so with some sort of bullshit honor like summa cumma allover or whatever.

gently caress if I could go back in time I'd save lots of money, graduate sooner, and be a fancy double major or something just on the basis of knowing how to play the game.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

regulargonzalez posted:

Max is 5% , standard is 3.5%. There's been discussion at the C levels about an additional 2% bump, because inflation. If that goes through, and taking into account I got a promotion a few months ago, come January I'll be making about 33% more than I did a year ago, and well over 100% more than I was making in my last non-IT job.

As a 40-something guy with no degree who just got into IT a little over 3 years ago I'm pretty happy with myself.

Fuckin rad, good work.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The new Teams client appears to be breaking the Outlook Teams add-in. Anyone else seeing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

johnny park posted:

The new Teams client appears to be breaking the Outlook Teams add-in. Anyone else seeing this?

Haven't seen this at all and the entire IT team has been using the new client.