Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Whirling posted:

beat Signalis again. wonderful game, I absolutely adore the artistry on display with the environments and character designs, and I love that every character and story element can be interpreted in wildly different ways from what I've read in discussions here. however the devs (both west germans, to my understanding of things) appear to hate the GDR of all things, which is very confusing. from what I understand as a dipshit American, the worst the GDR did was have the Stasi harass you if you pissed off the state in some way, which is really quaint compared to the poo poo the FBI and CIA got up to in a "free" country.

As far as I know the GDR is basically taught as a ghost story in German schools. What can you do? Also the space GDR made anime real, many sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cp2077 seems pretty reactionary and rightwing as a setting, the big issues are nations stop being a thing and America gets overrun by foreginers, everyone becomes gay sexual deviants and crime goes out of control and the cops can't stop it.

And I haven't played the dlc yet but every black/asian character is a stereotype who betrays you

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

gotta get yours choom

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Communist Thoughts posted:

And I haven't played the dlc yet but every black/asian character is a stereotype who betrays you

no?

you can stick with Reed and Alex to the end, they are the only way to escape the context (and vanish into anonymity and irrelevancy)

edit: River never betrays you, Yorinobu is cool, if you trust Takemura he does what he can etc

Goa Tse-tung has issued a correction as of 13:16 on Oct 9, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cp2077 seems pretty reactionary and rightwing as a setting, the big issues are nations stop being a thing and America gets overrun by foreginers, everyone becomes gay sexual deviants and crime goes out of control and the cops can't stop it.

The critical commentary on America looks specifically racist? WHOA

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

weird I thought the big issue in cyberpunk was evil corporations ruling the world

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

America looks pretty right wing as a setting, got to be honest

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

genericnick posted:

Coming back to AC after nearly a month and Raven is slaughtering me. Feels like a real From game now. Also, I think I forgot how half the controls worked.

every time s/he kills me I just imagine the little title screen animation playing w/ the oily pile bunker and the knowing look at the camera from the robut

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
americans unaware that night city is how the rest of the world sees america, in 2023, itt

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Xaris posted:

i mean.,.. have you ever watched keanu act in a movie? i fuckin' love keanu but come on, his delivery of lines in movies is loving horrible. i just watched JW4 and the pinnacle of his ability to speak was "im going to need a.... gun" very badly

i actually think johnny is keanu's best role with his best speaking lines ever

nah, the first 2 bill and ted movies are his best work, everything from the matrix onward, he does that stilted speech cause he's supposed to be badass

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Ytlaya posted:

That's a good idea. The plot of Ishin will be integral to understanding what happens in LAD Gaiden.

you're being snide but actually there are a surprising amount of references/easter eggs relating to even the spinoff games like ishin throughout the series, which can be fun to be aware of. mostly tho I just want to be All Caught Up in the series before the new ones start dropping, so back to dungeon grinding for 100%

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

one of my favorites was a side quest in 5 or 6 of kiryu getting roped into a d-list zombie flick that was lampooning of the plot of dead souls and kiryu and the crew being confused that a yakuza character was involved in the script in any way

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
my favorite sidequest in cp2077 is the date with Rogue

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Whirling posted:

beat Signalis again. wonderful game, I absolutely adore the artistry on display with the environments and character designs, and I love that every character and story element can be interpreted in wildly different ways from what I've read in discussions here. however the devs (both west germans, to my understanding of things) appear to hate the GDR of all things, which is very confusing. from what I understand as a dipshit American, the worst the GDR did was have the Stasi harass you if you pissed off the state in some way, which is really quaint compared to the poo poo the FBI and CIA got up to in a "free" country.

I was slowly playing through this, too, and wondering why there was so much anti-collectivist poo poo everywhere. All the dehumanizing poo poo going on with the replikants screams corporate dystopia to me, but mystery solved I guess :confuoot:

Even Iron Lung (the submarine horror game by the guy who made Dusk and Squirrel Stapler) had some lore bits along the same vein, and that game was only fifteen minutes long or so.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's because you're in american version of a treaty port.

It's not USA, it's a technically a self governing autonomous zone but it's under control of the Empire of Japan through the dominant control of the Arasaka corporation, which is owned and controlled by the Emperor of Japan.

Oh and the IJN aircraft carrier parked right off the shore.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fortnite Russian pro-players Daniil "Рutrick" Abdrakhmanov and Egor "Swizzy" Luciko seemingly have been stubbed by Epic Games. Despite winning the Fortnite Champion Series Major 3 in Chapter 4 Season 3, Epic Games has refused to grant them their $200,000 cash prize. To add insult to injury, Рutrick has been disqualified from the FNCS Copenhagen Lan event as well.

According to the Russian pro-player, even after emailing Epic Games about the situation, the replies have been less than satisfactory. Support responds once a day and allegedly does not investigate the matter intricately, which has led to identical replies being sent out. Рutrick has also stated that he did not break any of the rules set forth by Epic Games.

"We are not even playing from a prohibited country" - Fortnite pro-player Daniil "Рutrick" Abdrakhmanov tells Epic Games' support team

As seen in the emails exchanged between Рutrick and the Fortnite support team, the main issue at hand is that he hails from a "Prize Restricted Region." Epic Games had labeled Russia as such following the invasion of Ukraine, which occurred on February 24, 2022. The same is also mentioned in sections 2.6.2 and 2.6.3 of the FNCS Major 3 Official Rules.

However, according to Рutrick, he and his teammate, Swizzy, played from Belarus. While Epic Games has stopped all commerce with Russia, Belarus is not on the list. Hence, it can be argued that the Duo did not play from a "Prize Restricted Region." Putrick mentions this in the support mail and writes:

"I understand that we cannot play from a prohibited country, but me and Swizzy played from a country that is allowed to play and receive prizes from tournaments. We live and play from Belarus."

The epic game store is still available to use in Russia and Belarus.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Belarus and Russia are banned for life from all world events, this isn't a game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Signalis takes the position that kids being raised by the community instead of their parents is evil; so I assume the devs are some kind of Laroucheites railing against global neoplatonism.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

Lies lore question, from Simon you get Arm of God item that seems like it matches up with pinnochio having a robot leftarm. is there any relationship there, like was that the real Carlo's arm? since it was stolen from gepetto it would seem.. maybe? also what was the point in kidnapping Geppetto?

It's likely he kidnapped geppetto because it's heavily implied they worked together in the past and geppetto is behind the puppet frenzy; it's likely Simon was trying to get geppetto to work with him again in exchange for help with his puppet son project.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lostconfused posted:

Cyberpunk's story is personal, it's about death and what you leave behind after death, a legacy.

The setting is borrowed and doesn't have to make sense, the main plot isn't really about that.

It's pretty much Metal Gear Solid 2.

if the setting isn't a key piece of your story and thematic design, you're telling it wrong

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

It's pretty much Metal Gear Solid 2.

how dare you

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

indigi posted:

if the setting isn't a key piece of your story and thematic design, you're telling it wrong

If it works, it works.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Night city is the backbone to the story. It's the ticking time bomb brain chip that is utterly redundant in a location that already promises an early death

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Night city is the backbone to the story. It's the ticking time bomb brain chip that is utterly redundant in a location that already promises an early death

Foundation season 2 has the opposite problem, where one of the characters can see the future, and she sees "Oh no! My daughter will be killed 150 years from now!" Really, only 150 years? Shame. They do have hypersleep, so you could "live" that long, but how about just living out your natural life and stop worrying about a killer 150 years in the future.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Geoff scheduling it for Pearl Harbor Day is a sign it's rigged for TOTK to dominate downtrodden American devs

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Finished Pentiment. Goddamn. What a ride, definitely the best narrative game since Disco.

They did an unbelievably good job making a tiny game world feel rich and alive and full of history, which feeds back into that being a huge part of the game itself. A work of art.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Xaris posted:

started playing Everspace 2. it seems like a pretty fun rootin' tootin' lootin' schlooter game in space? i dunno how much meat is on the bone but at least having fun in the honeymoon period. hopefully i get to actually build cool giant rear end cap ships (but probably not)

It's a good game but you'll have seen everything it has to offer in about 8 hours, and the game continues for long beyond that :v:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

If it works, it works.

sounds like it doesn't

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

you're being snide but actually there are a surprising amount of references/easter eggs relating to even the spinoff games like ishin throughout the series, which can be fun to be aware of. mostly tho I just want to be All Caught Up in the series before the new ones start dropping, so back to dungeon grinding for 100%

I wasn't being snide, just joking. Finishing Ishin is a good idea, it's a fun game.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I wasn't being snide, just joking. Finishing Ishin is a good idea, it's a fun game.

ah mb in that case. it's a fun game but the 100% grind is brutal

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Demos im gonna try out:

Growth https://store.steampowered.com/app/2300300/Growth/
WHAoSRoR https://store.steampowered.com/app/1844380/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar_Realms_of_Ruin/
Solium Infernum https://store.steampowered.com/app/1893810/Solium_Infernum/
Chaos Storm https://store.steampowered.com/app/2233090/ChaosStorm_Strategy_Edition/
Interregnum https://store.steampowered.com/app/2218680/Interregnum_Chronicles_False_Prophet/
Microcivilisation https://store.steampowered.com/app/1822550/Microcivilization/
Eldrimar https://store.steampowered.com/app/2349420/ELDRIMAR/
Thaumaturge https://store.steampowered.com/app/1684350/The_Thaumaturge/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why didn't anyone tell me Ghostrunner 2 has a demo https://store.steampowered.com/app/2144740/Ghostrunner_2/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Ghostrunner 2 has a demo https://store.steampowered.com/app/2144740/Ghostrunner_2/

cause you'll enjoy it more if you wait for the whole game

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ghost Recon Wildlands is on sale for $10....so glad I waited on buying it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Real hurthling! posted:

cause you'll enjoy it more if you wait for the whole game

yeah unless they have that deal where progress carries over I don't see the point

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1711452136586821719

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

And they completely succeeded at that. gently caress the haters, bring on the Gollumlikes.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Ghost Recon Wildlands is on sale for $10....so glad I waited on buying it.

It's already been on gamepass for a while if you have that. It's very much your typical ubisoft open-world but it's a fantastic co-op game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I would love an in depth investigation about the process leading to Gollum's haircut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

my bony fealty posted:

Finished Pentiment. Goddamn. What a ride, definitely the best narrative game since Disco.

They did an unbelievably good job making a tiny game world feel rich and alive and full of history, which feeds back into that being a huge part of the game itself. A work of art.

hell yeah!