Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

As someone interested in playing BG3 those character multiclassing/leveling tips are way too much information yeah. I think "single class is absolutely fine, do some research if you want to multiclass especially spellcasters" gets the message across.

I actually added some of those multiclassing tips, and yeah it's tempting to go into too much detail by mistake. Maybe trauma from previous CRPGs that were less forgiving on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

On the lowest difficulty, the game doesn’t even let you multi class at all, so it’s definitely not something you need to know how to do for your first run. But good info if you’re curious

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
BG3 tips:

- If everyone misses the check for a buried chest you can still select the shovel in your inventory, dig blindly, and find it that way. It's usually a few steps ahead but it's pretty forgiving.

- Camp supplies (food) can be used from the traveler's chest, so send all of that to camp instead of holding on to it.

- Projectiles including cantrips can be used to activate levers, buttons, etc from a distance.

- Inspiration points let you redo failed rolls, but you can only have 4 stored at a time. If a character gains inspiration and you're full, then they'll get some bonus xp, but just them. This is what can cause characters to level up at different times.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 28, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speaking of camp supplies: I was running low in Act 2 and getting worried after the Waning Moon (the pub/brewery) when I realized that many, many of the bottles there are worth 4 or 6 camp supplies each. Easily missed because they don't highlight and just seem part of the scenery, but now I'm thinking I missed a lot of supplies that way.

Also, while camp supplies can be used from the traveler's chest, for some reason it doesn't seem to include them in the check when you're about to rest and it'll warn you that you don't have enough even though you do.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Taeke posted:

Speaking of camp supplies: I was running low in Act 2 and getting worried after the Waning Moon (the pub/brewery) when I realized that many, many of the bottles there are worth 4 or 6 camp supplies each. Easily missed because they don't highlight and just seem part of the scenery, but now I'm thinking I missed a lot of supplies that way.

Also, while camp supplies can be used from the traveler's chest, for some reason it doesn't seem to include them in the check when you're about to rest and it'll warn you that you don't have enough even though you do.

Then it suggests using 400 supplies worth of food.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Then it suggests using 400 supplies worth of food.

Yeah, that's because it doesn't split the stack of the 40 supplies worth items, so you have 10 of those and not enough random stuff and it'll just want you to use the whole stack lol

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In Hypnospace Outlaw, can I ignore or refuse to complete the missions and still progress through the game? For example, I've been tasked with taking down software that the parent company doesn't like, and it's being hosted by the company's employee. Frankly, I like the idea of a company employee going against company policy and I'd rather he not get found out.

I'm ok just playing the game straight at this point (as an America Online cop), but if it's designed to accept nuanced or 'rebellious' play, I'd rather do that.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

doctorfrog posted:

In Hypnospace Outlaw, can I ignore or refuse to complete the missions and still progress through the game? For example, I've been tasked with taking down software that the parent company doesn't like, and it's being hosted by the company's employee. Frankly, I like the idea of a company employee going against company policy and I'd rather he not get found out.

I'm ok just playing the game straight at this point (as an America Online cop), but if it's designed to accept nuanced or 'rebellious' play, I'd rather do that.

iirc you have to report at least a few of those to progress to the next part

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

doctorfrog posted:

you have to do that particular case. he's supposed to be a sympathetic character but you don't have a choice because it's your job. super light sort-of-spoiler for encouragement though: you'll be able to do something legitimately helpful soon enough.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the guidance!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've changed the logo on the wiki. I thought I'd warn you all before you think you're on the wrong website and throw your computer out of the window for tricking you.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ahobday posted:

I've changed the logo on the wiki. I thought I'd warn you all before you think you're on the wrong website and throw your computer out of the window for tricking you.

reality's broken, I'm literally shaking

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ahobday posted:

Ah, too late.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
my computer is used to it, but thank you

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Cyberpunk 2.1

I'll do my best not to refer to earlier versions. The balance of the game has changed a lot.

-There are 3 basic leveling components. Attributes, perk points and skill progression
- Attributes are the most straight forward, there are 5 attributes you can level. Cool, Reflexes, Body, Intelligence and Technical Ability. Each level you get one attribute point and one skill point
- The max level is 60
-There are distinct breakpoints with the attributes. At the start of the game you have 3 in everything and you have 7 points to allocate. So basically 67 attribute points to allocate with everything starting at 3. Without modding you cannot max everything out but you can max out several attributes.
-The perks available to you depend on your attribute points because they have break points. So if you have 20 in reflexes you can take any reflex perk if you have taken the perk leading towards it.
- The break points are at level 4, you can get the first line of perks, level 9 you can get the mid level of perks, level 15 the upper level of perks and level 20 the final line of perks
-Hence there is very little to be gained from taking an attribute from 9 to 10 but taking it to 15 could change things dramatically in what perks you can take
-There are typically 3 perk lines. So in Cool you have a weapons tree, a crouched mode tree and a throwing weapons tree. The other attributes will have similar trees, so technical ability has a tree for consumables, cyberware wear and tech weapons
-There are 5 skills that you level by doing related activities like an elder scrolls game. These can be very messy. Headhunter levels by shooting people in the head but also stealth kills. Netrunner is leveled by using hacks etc, the most straightforward. Shinobi is leveled by using automatic weapons and in theory movement based abilities. Solo is increased by using shotguns, heavy machine guns and melee. Engineer is increased by crafting and using tech weapons which can overlap with other skills.
-If you max out each skill you only get 2 perk points from it so you are limited to 70 perk points. You might get extra ones during the course of the game but there is hard limit to the amount of them you are likely to get.
- Your default head mod is a hacking deck. This is functionally the same as casting spells.You can turn off cameras with it, make turrets your friend, make a guy put a gun to his head and pull the trigger. Previously most people stuck with that but there are other head mods. There is sandevistan which is slomo max payne mode at will and there is berserk mode which is a more general combat buff. If you don't find yourself casting spells, those modes are available to you. You don't have to stick with spells.
-2.0 depends on a synergy of attributes a lot more than previous versions. Once upon a time you could only focus on int and spells and kill everything before they were aware of you. No matter what you main in you will want a back up option and probably your main thing is empowered by another attribute or perk
- And then there is stamina. You can now sprint forever in the game. But doing anything from shooting a gun to swinging a hammer and etc etc requires using stamina. There are perks to affect the amount used but works like it does in dark souls. It is your action economy. No stamina, you aren't doing a dash. So you have to manage it
-Most of your cyberware does not require much upgrading. The gold double jump legs are the same as the green ones with some stat differences you will not notice.
-Better versions will be available the higher your level is so you don't need to manually upgrade them. You can just buy the better versions when you are high enough level.
-Clothes no longer provide large stat boosts so you can just wear what you want.
-The easiest way to make a lot of money is to just pick up the guns from the people you killed and sell them.
-Clothes you find sell for a lot less so you can scrap them to get crafting materials.
- The cyberware merchants all sll the same things at the same quality
-Dogtown, the new area has cyberware merchants who sell unique cyberware that the other merchants don't have. These seem to be wildly overpowered such as an eye mod that gives a flat 30% to crit at base level and you can upgrade it
-Nothing is leveled by stealthing anymore
-The default stealth kill is with throwing knives. If you perk yourself for headshots and apply a silencer to a high damage weapon you don't need to use throwing knives.
-An enemy with a skull icon is an elite just like in an mmo. Your one hit kills might not work on them. So if you throw a knife into a skull enemy or magic themselves to shoot themselves in the head they might no immediately go down and could alert everyone else
- In general you should turn up the difficulty the longer the game goes on. If you start on normal it will at some point turn into very easy. Just turn it up to hard then. And if hard turns too easy there is very hard.
- The core path you have to do, the gigs are all worth doing, the low money quests are all interesting. People burn themselves out doing the ncpd scanner missions. Those are everywhere and you don't need them unless you want to powerlevel .
-The map can be customised, I always want to see the vendors, the side quests, the gigs and the fast travel points. Your mileage may vary, maybe you want to grind out the ncpd scanners. Whatever you want you should customize the map indicators
-Keeping this very vague, you can save your friend from Japan. Everything the narrative is telling you is he's hosed but you can just not follow that.
-Double jump remains the premier leg mod. Its just so flexible compared to anything else

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 7, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is there a similar wiki/thread/website, but about mods? For checking if there are any commonly accepted unofficial bugfix/unfuck patches that don't mess with the game content too much?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

PC Gaming Wiki is usually a good starting place for every PC game that has been out for more than a couple months.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Goofballs posted:

Cyberpunk 2.1

-Most of your cyberware does not require much upgrading. The gold double jump legs are the same as the green ones with some stat differences you will not notice.
-Better versions will be available the higher your level is so you don't need to manually upgrade them. You can just buy the better versions when you are high enough level.

Slight quibble here, as tier 3 and above cyberware gives you passive bonuses for one of the five attributes, and this largely tracks with what passive benefits the 'ware in question has (e.g. if something gives quickhack adjacent bonuses it probably scales with Intelligence). These bonuses are not universal; I've seen Intelligence grant a flat (though small) damage bonus but not for every piece of gear. The numerical values can be underwhelming (see all cameras and hackable objects on the map within 25m, upgrade for...27m! Yay!) but not always (especially early game going from tier 1 to tier 2 or even tier 1+ made a piece of 'ware grant +2 Max RAM instead of +1, which adds up once you stack enough).

Also, upgrading a piece of 'ware needs less cash than buying the next tier outright, at the cost of some crafting components, which can be a good way to squeeze performance out of what you've got when you can't necessarily afford to kit out every slot. I remember money not mattering after a certain point in 1.x but I've found myself tapped out a lot of the time in 2.0 after visit to a ripperdoc (not to mention the +skill/perk/health consumable money sinks certain vendors have now).

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CaptainRat posted:

I remember money not mattering after a certain point in 1.x but I've found myself tapped out a lot of the time in 2.0 after visit to a ripperdoc (not to mention the +skill/perk/health consumable money sinks certain vendors have now).

I've had that experience a little bit but then I just sell a lot of guns. I vacuum after fights. The other thing that helped a lot was selling gold quick hacks. I went heavy on int and did a lot of the hack minigames so at some point I realized I was drowning in those and then suddenly I'm walking around with a million eddies

E: with regards buying vs upgrading to better cyberware, at the start of the game I was upgrading by dismantling a lot of guns and then at some point I had all blue cyberware and then the purples unlocked in the store and it just seemed like a lot less of a headache and faster to just buy the things.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 7, 2023

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Yeah buying upgrades with cash seems to be the play. Way easier to kill people for money than components. Save your components for either pushing a critical piece of gear above your currently available tier (probably your deck / sandevistan) or for upgrading iconics (which have no easy vendor like cyberware does).

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
I think I might finally play Earthbound. Are there any modhacks that make it a quicker, easier experience? I'm pretty much just looking to cruise through it for the story, so I don't want much difficulty and as little grinding as possible. I would just watch a LP, but having to keep reading a non interactive video sounds tough for me.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Fighting Elegy posted:

I think I might finally play Earthbound. Are there any modhacks that make it a quicker, easier experience? I'm pretty much just looking to cruise through it for the story, so I don't want much difficulty and as little grinding as possible. I would just watch a LP, but having to keep reading a non interactive video sounds tough for me.

There are a few tricky areas but overall Earthbound is on the easier side and doesn't need a lot of grinding. Playing on an emulator where you can frameskip through easy battles where you're mashing A anyways is probably all the QoL stuff you really need.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fighting Elegy posted:

Earthbound was designed to be beaten by 6 year old Japanese children, you do not need a romhack to make it easier.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hi all, not sure if this is the right place, but looking for a Sparknotes style breakdown of the themes of Mr Men, particularly Mr Tickle. Haven't tried reading it yet but I know it's pretty old so I'm worried the language will be difficult

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

There's a double xp patch here. https://www.reddit.com/r/earthbound/comments/yxju5n/i_made_a_simple_double_exp_patch_for_earthbound/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Making my way through Like A Dragon: Ishin.

- Chapter 5 is the point where the game really opens up and you unlock the major side activity.

- When you gain the ability to use troopers, fill every available slot, including reserve squads. Each trooper in a slot contributes to a hefty health boost.

Subject to change, I suppose, if the game surprises me

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Final Fantasy 16

There is a vestigial crafting/upgrade system but you don't need to think about it at all. Every time the game tells you there are new crafting recipes available you should go craft the new stronger thing for yourself, unless the game has already given you a stronger piece of equipment for some reason. There is absolutely no reason not to do this.

There's also no reason not to sell your old equipment if you need cash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Organza Quiz posted:

Final Fantasy 16

There is a vestigial crafting/upgrade system but you don't need to think about it at all. Every time the game tells you there are new crafting recipes available you should go craft the new stronger thing for yourself, unless the game has already given you a stronger piece of equipment for some reason. There is absolutely no reason not to do this.

There's also no reason not to sell your old equipment if you need cash.

Some of the armor upgrades can be useful as an interim levelling/sidequesting upgrade, but the sword upgrades are entirely superfluous. The Blacksmith Sidequest weapons and the story-progress reward weapons both massively outstrip anything upgradeable.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm going to start up no more heroes 3. I couldn't make it through Travis strikes back, is there anything I need to know plotwise? I know bad girl is back, and friends with Travis?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm going to start up no more heroes 3. I couldn't make it through Travis strikes back, is there anything I need to know plotwise? I know bad girl is back, and friends with Travis?

Important plot stuff from TSB:
Badman (Bad Girl’s dad) and Travis worked together to battle/unlock a magic wish-granting game console to bring Bad Girl back. All three are cool now. There was an evil games CEO named John Damon Riccitiello who drove the console creator to suicide so Travis beats the poo poo out of him for crimes against Gamerkind. He now owns Santa Destroy. The developer, Dr. Juvenile, is now a ghost in the machine and has somehow granted Travis his video game powers in real life. Travis and Sylvia had kids at some point and are currently estranged. Travis became friends with Kamui from The Silver Case. Jeane the cat talks now.

I think that’s everything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SkeletonHero posted:

Badman (Bad Girl’s dad) and Travis worked together to battle/unlock a magic wish-granting game console to bring Bad Girl back. All three are cool now. There was an evil games CEO named John Damon Riccitiello who drove the console creator to suicide so Travis beats the poo poo out of him for crimes against Gamerkind. He now owns Santa Destroy. The developer, Dr. Juvenile, is now a ghost in the machine and has somehow granted Travis his video game powers in real life. Travis and Sylvia had kids at some point and are currently estranged. Travis became friends with Kamui from The Silver Case. Jeane the cat talks now.

God I love everything about suda51 games except actually playing them

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

SkeletonHero posted:

Thanks! More plot than I had anticipated. I think the guy in NMH3 who befriends FU is named Damon, must be the same guy?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks! More plot than I had anticipated. I think the guy in NMH3 who befriends FU is named Damon, must be the same guy?

He is.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Minor tip for DotAGE after a flopped first run and a good second run.

Early on, especially during the tutorially bit, be careful of investing in making a resource you can't directly use. Especially when buildings need a profession (which will need you to have tools). You can poke and rightclick around the Agepedia if you want to be sure.
For instance : Herding chickens, requires other building to make use of them while needing seeds to keep them alive. Wild chickens feed themselves and respawn except in winter. Hunt before you herd.
Planting Tomatoes is great early. Planting Barley, not so much.
Also cooking is a big food multiplier.

Minor UI tip : Right click and right click and drag are mutually exclusive, this seems to be why I sometimes find it takes several tries to right click. (Unconfirmed)

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Not sure where to put this, but I guess here is a good a place as any...

I have an eight year old that wants to play Roblox, since that is apparently what everyone else her age is playing. I know very little of the game, except what I've learned through cultural osmosis, that it is more of an engine than a game, or more of a collection of minigames, or some sort of micro-transaction-laden storefront, probably all of the above? It appears you need an account to play and I have heard about the in-game currency robux(?) costing real-world-money either as one off purchases or with a subscription.
So, what I want to know is... how expensive is it? Can you play it for free? Are there comparatively 'safe' worlds with some form of moderation, or is it basically second life and I need to have a Serious Talk about Stranger Danger with her before I open the floodgates?
Does anyone have *any* experience with thi(e)s(e) game(s), or are we all too old and set in our ways? Surely someone must have been curious enough to try, or have kids of their own? So yeah, anything I should know?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Not sure where to put this, but I guess here is a good a place as any...

I have an eight year old that wants to play Roblox, since that is apparently what everyone else her age is playing. I know very little of the game, except what I've learned through cultural osmosis, that it is more of an engine than a game, or more of a collection of minigames, or some sort of micro-transaction-laden storefront, probably all of the above? It appears you need an account to play and I have heard about the in-game currency robux(?) costing real-world-money either as one off purchases or with a subscription.
So, what I want to know is... how expensive is it? Can you play it for free? Are there comparatively 'safe' worlds with some form of moderation, or is it basically second life and I need to have a Serious Talk about Stranger Danger with her before I open the floodgates?
Does anyone have *any* experience with thi(e)s(e) game(s), or are we all too old and set in our ways? Surely someone must have been curious enough to try, or have kids of their own? So yeah, anything I should know?

I asked someone who has answered those questions a bunch as part of their job:

Most servers are free but yes, others have microtransactions, gambling etc.

There isn’t any moderation so you can’t assume that it’s a safe place and a stranger danger talk is a good idea. That said, don’t blow it out of proportion or assume that every server is filled with nazis and predators.

A lot of the games are kinda crap even for an 8 year old, so it can take a little searching to find something fun. Sounds like their friends have already found some spots though

Stay involved and show interest in what your kid is playing! Don’t shame them - you want to have a running dialogue with them so they feel comfortable in sharing both good and bad experiences. This is actually good advice for anything your child is doing in online spaces

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I think anyone who's kids are interested in Roblox ought to give the PMG documentary a look. It's focused on the way the platform targets developers specifically but there's a lot of context around that I think is worth keeping in mind, regardless of how you move forward. Here's the first one, and there's a second one probably in the recommendeds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As a parent, to this I would add: what are the parental controls? How much work do I have to do to make it safe for my kid to play? Does the company appear cagey about this, or does their UI bury such controls in some app or panel somewhere? Will the company's policies pit me against my kid as I try to manage her online experience?

For example, an inadequate parental control for online chats would be an on/off toggle (I don't know what Roblox's controls are). This pits me against my kid: they want to chat, but I can't just let them have unfettered chat access. The company is either being lazy or is hoping I'll just relent and let my child have unfettered chat with anyone. Dealbreaker.

I have a nine year old, she can play Minecraft, but she will not be playing Roblox.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

what are the parental controls?: Pretty much everything you would expect

does their UI bury such controls in some app or panel somewhere?: Yes, good luck

Will the company's policies pit me against my kid as I try to manage her online experience?: Unsure what you mean. Company policies are rarely enforced

My source is unhappy about answering questions after work hours, so that's all I got :v:

E: My own take on this: regardless of how lovely a company is, whether your house rules allow them to play it or not (which is totally your decision), most important thing is to show interest, supervise and be engaged in what your child enjoys doing. It's good to talk about how to navigate online environments - kids may play the next big thing we know nothing about, play at a friend's house or secretly or whatever so make sure they are equipped to navigate our chaotic online world.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

One of my coworkers years ago told me how he grounded his 9yo daughter for "accidentally" spending $1000 in a weekend on Roblox. Any game that allows that to happen is a hard no for me. Regardless of potential parental controls, the company is aware of the predatory practices they have in place that are specifically targeting a demographic that is going to spend more money than they should on stupid poo poo.